Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Grand Del Mar San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:49 am

All righty, so are there any reviews of this hotel from FPC members?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by JunkDiver
All righty, so are there any reviews of this hotel from FPC members?
Not that I know of. But I am working out a visit there soon enough.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
The monthly GRGD Just came out, and include this hotel:

Available dates:
July: 2, 5-8, 12-15, 19-22, 26-29
August: 2 - 5, 16-20, 23-27, 30, 31

Learn more
about Fairmont Grand Del Mar

from
$ 295
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh

Available dates:

Learn more

from
$ 295
was JUST going to post this, you beat me (AGAIN!)

I might try for this in Aug with a night, and another. Have a free night expiring in Sept and a few unused suite upgrades. Might give it a try.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by nmenaker
was JUST going to post this, you beat me (AGAIN!)

I might try for this in Aug with a night, and another. Have a free night expiring in Sept and a few unused suite upgrades. Might give it a try.
Keep in mind, you can't use a suite upgrade on a GRGD rate. No upgrades at all. That being said, if you do a free night, you can suite upgrade that. Maybe if you talk nicely to them, they will allow you to combine it with a GRGD rate and stay in the same room.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Keep in mind, you can't use a suite upgrade on a GRGD rate. No upgrades at all. That being said, if you do a free night, you can suite upgrade that. Maybe if you talk nicely to them, they will allow you to combine it with a GRGD rate and stay in the same room.
yes, that would be my plan.. book a GRGD for pay, book the free night for following night with Suite Upgrade, upon check as Plat see if I can get the Suite for both nights.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Review in the plan ;)

I'm heading there this week with a suite booking and will burn some of my spa and dining certs.. Addision is also on the hit list. In the time there where I plan some serious r&r, I will attempt to cover as much of the property as possible, with an in-depth review to come.

Stay tuned

Heading there on VX and a convertible booked with National... High expectations.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:53 am

First impressions are impressive. Burned two free nights and used a suite upgrade to a Prado Suite. The Prado Suites are two normal rooms with French doors punched out to create a true 1 BR suite with his and hers baths.

Addison is up to reputation. Amazing wine list and you do not have spend hundreds to find a great bottle for dinner.

More to follow this weekend when I am back, but for FPC folks, get booking... Fabulous resort.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:05 pm

Thumbs up FPC Review - Fabulous Addition with some minor caveats.

I'm writing this very much from the perspective of an FPC member curious about this new addition to the Fairmont portfolio. Given all its 5 star awards, I did expect a level above the already excellent Fairmont service levels I have received.

First thing to note the main Fairmont site does not do justice to the property. You want to visit http://www.thegranddelmar.com/ to gain a real sense of what this property is about. DelMar is an easy 30 minute drive north of SAN on I5 and is easy to reach.

The resort is really about golfing and the spa. I'm a terrible golfer and was after r&r, so this is focused on that. As it was built in 2006-2008, it is newer and more modern than most Fairmonts.

I booked a midweek stay for two nights and burned a suite upgrade to book a Prado Suite, a true suite with two full baths and two entrances. As the entry level suite it is a good 1000 sq/ft with sliders to a very narrow terrace. I did an online booking and called the FPC line who converted a paying stay to using my certs. Very easy and painless. Two nights paying would have been => $2900 for the stay. Would I have been willing to pay the full rate? Not sure, but that did not deter me from thinking I want to return.

Upon arrival, valet parking was quick and efficient. Surprisingly, unlike most Fairmont stays, they did not have my keys at the valet station. I had advised I would be there for a 4pm arrival, but arrived an hour earlier, so perhaps this was the reason.

There is no true separate FPC check-in desk, just a sign to the left of the main reception. I asked if the were familiar with FPC and what being a Platinum member meant.. Polite, but not really great answers. Then I explained that FPC Plats are generally very loyal to Fairmont and then some examples why.

After dropping the bags in the room with the bellman, we went straight to the lobby lounge for a quick late lunch which was very good and the service was top notch, but then at almost $100 for two glasses of wine and a couple of light meals it should be. The view on the outdoor terrace is lovely and tranquil.

Next was a late afternoon visit to the Adults only pool, which is cell phone free. Very tranquil again and service was attentive. Adults only means no one under 18.. Nothing risque in the Vegas sense

Housekeeping showed at about 6 pm for turn down, but I asked for a later visit. No one came later while at dinner.

The Platinum amenity was a simple plate with an orange and an apple with two bottles of Voss water and a generic card. Not terribly impressed I must say. Everywhere else, I have received a very nice personal note signed by the GM or Hotel Manager.

After a very late nap, headed to Amaya for dinner.

No reservations needed and immediately seated outdoors with a nice view. Being the "default" restaurant my expectations were muted, but it was a really great meal, save for some screaming kids. Attentive service and the lobster bisque was sublime. ^

The next day was a no alarm morning, so straight to the pool for some swim time and book time. I ordered a light lunch, but staff were slow and inexperienced. The food was delightful, but I had to ask 3 times for condiments which did not arrive until I was finished. No one showed with a bill and I will need to check if we were invoiced properly.

The rest of the afternoon was at the spa for massages which were top notch and you are invited to use the spa facilities before and after your treatment. Figure just shy of $500 for a his and hers hour treatment. It is top notch and very relaxing with an experienced staff. Note: Willow Spa Certs are not accepted here.

After another nap... There is a theme here Headed to Addison. The idea was dining lightly and the tasting menu in the bar/salon is really not a light meal, which might be deduced from the way it is presented on the web site.

So, we asked about full dining and happily they had a lovely booth available immediately.

Opted for the lighter four course meal and was not disappointed. Our waiter asked if we wanted to have the sommelier visit for advice, but once I had a look at the 100+ page wine list, I said no I've lived in France for a long time and know what I want. (Yes, I can stare down the snobbiest wine snob .

Selected a 2010 Saumur from the Loire Valley and was delighted with the pick. The best Cabernet Franc in the world is from there and the bottle was handled properly from shipment to table. These are some of the most under rated reds in the world in my opinion and a great value, even at $140 a bottle.

In between courses, a proper "amuse bouche" and cleanse palate servings.

I appreciated the unhurried service and our waiter was friendly, funny and knowledgeable. A bit of a wait for dessert but excellent. My only real complaint is the menu does not do a good job of explaining the dishes. I had the duck for a main course and it was by far, the best duck I've had in my life. It's not "maigre de canard" but a lean and tasty cut of duck breast with a coffee! glaze.. I'm still drooling thinking of it.

Was Addison up to expectations.. Certainly, but given the prices, it should always be a knock your socks off event.

Getting back was a long wait for the house car to come get us and other guests. Addison is a good 10-15 minute walk from the main hotel.

Back to the room, finally a proper turn down with rose petals on the bed and in the bath. A welcome surprise, but why not the first night as well ? Like city center Fairmonts, they offer shoe shine and even leave a nice cloth bag for pick up. Nice touch.

Room service breakfast arrived as ordered and on time. No complaints there, but while in the shower, simply delivered in the room with no setup. Really tasty and no different if served in the restaurant.

Went down to see if the car was ready and glad I did. I'd expect the car to be out a few minutes ahead of the pickup time, but no, not there. Not sure if the valets knew I had asked for this the evening before.

In sum:

A fabulous property with exceptional grounds and facilities. I could not find a single fault with the condition of anything I encountered. I wandered through the meeting and conference space as well. My room was in flawless condition and everything worked like new. The bed is fit for a king. The shower is a fire hose blast to wake you up. The Nespresso coffee machine makes a proper expresso The mini bars (yes 2 of them) are well stocked. Nice amenities all around. Excellent wifi: 15 Mbs/20Mbs up in the lobby and similar in the room. I do like the Red Flower products better than Rose 31, but they were nothing like Occitane or other well know brands.

I'm willing to cut some slack for not knowing FPC so well, but the minor service failures were a surprise.

One other note, Miramar NAS is nearby, so once in a while you will maybe not see, but definitely hear fighter jets flyby. They can be quite loud if close enough. The rooms themselves are superbly sound proofed.

My comparison is made against the best properties I have stayed at like The Dorchester, The Savoy, Gleneagles, Georges V or the Hyde Park. Not quite at those levels, but once they sort the service issues, definitely one of the aspirational properties for FPC members.

Last edited by ptownca; Aug 2, 2015 at 10:36 pm Reason: Additional details.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks a lot for the detailed report!^
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Good to know. Never knew this before ^
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:44 pm

Available dates:

Learn more

from
$ 295
While, this might seem pricey, it is an excellent value for the caliber of this hotel. Even the "base" rooms are very plush and are > 500 sq/ft.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks a lot for the detailed report!^
Thanks! Perhaps add this to the Sticky for reviews ?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ptownca
Thanks! Perhaps add this to the Sticky for reviews ?
Done.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:44 am

Going to throw my review in - stayed for only a night right before July 4 using cert and suite upgrade. It was the Prado suite and again, as mentioned earlier, it is literally like two decent-nice rooms put together (complete with symmetrical bathrooms and two separate doors to enter in from)

I found the grounds to be alright, a little underwhelming, but a nice chill place. The breakfast was underwhelming (ordered a bit of everything) - I would suggest ordering fruit, I guess.

Happy to stay for free and we actually stayed for a special occasion but can't imagine dropping $600 or so a night...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.