Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Paid custom upgrades (eStandby) and Le Club status benefits...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid custom upgrades (eStandby) and Le Club status benefits...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Exclamation Paid custom upgrades (eStandby) and Le Club status benefits...

I have a coming stay at Novotel Times square NYC and I received yesterday an e-mail about custom (paid) upgrades :
"Dear Mr. Goldorak,
We look forward to welcoming you on XX January 2014. As a special offer, you can use the Hotel Novotel New York Times Square eStandby Upgrade® Program to potentially upgrade your reservation for as little as $14 extra per night.
Show My Custom Upgrade
Please note your current room reservation for Newly Redesigned King bed is already confirmed for your arrival – confirmation #XXXXXXXX.
Warm regards,
Hotel Novotel New York Times Square
"

If I click on the link, I'm proposed :
- Newly Redesigned King bed + Sofa High Floors 23 -33, for $14/night (instead of 20). Interestingly, the "Newly Redesigned King bed" is the type of room I booked but my booking do not indicate a particular floor range, so I don't think that this should be considered as an upgrade.
and the best is to come :
- late check-out (until 5 pm) for $59 (instead of 99)
- early check-in (from 8 am) for or $74 (instead of 99)

I'm familiar with those custom paid upgrades with some other hotel chains, e.g. Hilton, but this is the 1st time I receive such an offer with Accor. Is it specific to this hotel or is this something that will be extended to some brands or regions ?

Also, I was quite surprised as all those customs upgrades are supposed to be complimentary for platinum members…Is this another sign of lack of new status benefits implementation ?

OT, this hotel has just been refurbished, so I will of course report everything on our favorite forum ;-)
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:41 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Can't speak for Accor but as a Fairmont Platinum member, I still get those upgrade offers when I book. Does not affect my upgrades in the least.

Now that I think of it, I was offered these types of upgrades when I booked at Novotel Ottawa, did not use it and still received all Accor plat benefits so I would not sweat it.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:23 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Hi Goldorak,

I have been getting these too at two recent Sofitel stays. This does not affect your on arrival Platinum treatment. You can safely ignore this "up-sell" attempt as Platinum member.

Incidentally Hilton do the same, Accor is quite late to the game of upselling.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thank you guys ^
I will follow-up on what will happen there
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:14 am
Suspended

Hi Goldorak,

this is not a common habit with Accor hotels to do so, but some properties are well managed and some GMs/RMs/DOS are smart enough to push on upselling

they usually offer paid upgrade to next higher room category, then if at the time of checkin, the hotel enforces Le Club benefits correctly and there is some availability, you'll end up with an even better room as promised

Novotel Times Square is a top notch property and i'm pretty sure that you will be well treated there
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by macaron95
Hi Goldorak,

this is not a common habit with Accor hotels to do so, but some properties are well managed and some GMs/RMs/DOS are smart enough to push on upselling

they usually offer paid upgrade to next higher room category, then if at the time of checkin, the hotel enforces Le Club benefits correctly and there is some availability, you'll end up with an even better room as promised

Novotel Times Square is a top notch property and i'm pretty sure that you will be well treated there
Thank you Macaron95
I have been to this hotel 2 or 3 times already and have always been treated well (always upgraded), despite some not-so-friendly staff (which is quite unusual in the US). So knowing the hotel has been renovated, I only expect the best
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Goldorak
despite some not-so-friendly staff (which is quite unusual in the US). So knowing the hotel has been renovated, I only expect the best
Typo? Unfriendly staff are ubiquitous in NYC.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:56 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by remymartin
Typo? Unfriendly staff are ubiquitous in NYC.
Getting a bit off-topic but I find NYC service staff (hotels, restaurants and bartenders) to be among the friendliest and the best in the US. They may be a little harried for time and brusque, but I have always found 99% of them to be genuinely interested in providing good service.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: M&M 0*SEN (LH *G), TK *G, Accor Silver, HHonors Gold
For a stay at the Pullman Brussels Centre Midi, I today got the following "offer":

Dear Kanaman, your reservation for March XX, 2015 at Pullman Brussels Centre Midi is already confirmed (Confirmation: XXX).
At times, premium rooms may go unsold. As a special offer, you can use the new Pullman Brussels Centre Midi eStandby Upgrade® Program to potentially upgrade this reservation to a premium room.
Click Here to get started.
The prices per night were EUR 22 to a Superior Room, EUR 37 to a Deluxe Room, and EUR 69 to a Deluxe Suite.

This was the first time I'd received an upgrade offer like this from an Accor property. As other have noted, it's a bit odd to send one to Platinum members.

What bothers me is that in one place it's called "eStandby® Upgrade", and in another, on the same page, it's "eStandby Upgrade®". That is, the registered trademark sign is in different places. Makes me wonder which trademark they actually registered!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:02 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
I think "eStandby Upgrade® Program" is independant of Accor :

http://www.nor1.com/solutions/estandby-upgrade/
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:50 am

Dear Platinum member, upgrade your room starting from $28...

Hadn't seen one of the emails before. Knowing my experience with Sofitel this year, this may be the only way to ensure an upgrade, by paying for it....

------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. sdjimbob, your reservation at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower is already confirmed (Confirmation: XXXX).
At times, premium rooms may go unsold. As a special offer, you can use the new Sofitel Chicago Water Tower eStandby Upgrade® Program to potentially upgrade this reservation to a premium room.
Click Here to get started.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
I'm guessing that's a standard email sent to all people that make a reservation (or at least all > classic status).. Did you write to the hotel and inquire about platinum treatment?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Yes, it is a standard e-mail. Nothing to worry about. In my experience, this hotel is very good for compliance with Le club rules. And it's a great hotel ^
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
I get these a lot and I actually take them as a good sign that I'll get the complementary upgrade (and I do!). I've stayed at that hotel and it's a very good one - they respect the loyalty card programme and the staff are excellent. I'd recommend sitting back and enjoying your stay.

1F
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:28 am

Thanks for your replies.

My experience didn't match either of yours, and I disagree with the hotel's Platinum compliance since the next category is available for booking and I didn't get it..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.