Wiki Posts
Search

SO/ Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:09 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FGunawan
The hotel is very much in the center of Bangkok

MRT across the street can take you to Terminal 21 shopping center without any transfer. It's always a very popular, very crowded place for locals and tourists alike. The very cheap food court on level 5(?) must have something to do with its popularity. Entrees and dessert like sticky mango with rice can be had for around 30 bahts - less than one US dollar!

The hotel also has half-hourly tuk-tuk service that takes guests to (also popular) Silom Center mall/Sala Daeng skytrain stop.
thanks there.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Sofitel So Bangkok
Sofitel So Bangkok will be very different from any existing Sofitel in Bangkok. It will be an urban design hotel reconciling design & pleasure with a strong focus on the destination, hence the name So Bangkok!

We have many exciting things to showcase in due time, feel free to ask us anything and we will share with you what we can
What's your joiners policy?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
What's your joiners policy?
Do not expect any answer from them here. They have never posted anything after their 1st posts. I remember having have asked them a question by PM a few months after the thread started and they never replied. The best for you is to contact the hotel by e-mail.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Review Sofitel So Bangkok

Sofitel So Bangkok

Map| 10 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Sofitel So Bangkok

2 North Sathorn Road Bangrak Bangkok, TH 10500

Review Sofitel So Bangkok (100 Photos)

Sofitel So Bangkok

Here is a new review of this hotel. Hope you will enjoy it !

IMG_9484.JPG

It was my 3rd stay in this hotel (I think). Overall a very good stay (5 nights), but as usual, not completely problem-free. But, what always make the overall experience good is that they always address the problems very well. I just like this hotel too much and clearly this is my Sofitel of choice in BKK, compared to Sukhumvit because of its very modern design and the stunning view from the rooms, infinity pool and rooftop bar. And the satff is really nice.

Check In

I was arriving from Paris in the morning and realized I forgot to inform the hotel about my wish for early check-in. I said to the bell boys that I was Platinum and was bring straight to the Club Millesime on the 25th floor.

Nice welcome at the lounge. I had an espresso and a welcome drink (not the one with the voucher), while they were taking care of the paperwork.

IMG_9432.JPG

I had booked a « So Comfy room, king bed, Lumphini park or city view ». I asked in the comment section to have a park view and either water or metal element room. I checked before arriving in the hotel and all room categories seem to be available.

My room was ready. As they were not talking about any upgrade or whatever, I asked which room category they gave me and I was told « So Comfy, water element »….OK….so no upgrade ? Ah ? Let me check….Another 10 min of wait, phone calls and computer keyboard use…OK we are happy to upgrade you in a nice So Suite, water element. OK, good recovery of 1st problem. But it has always been like that in this hotel : upgrades are never spontaneous. Sometimes (my previous stay) they try to tell you that the Club access is the upgrade, sometimes (this time) they don’t say anything special. This is not what should happen in a Sofitel. But, once you ask them, you normally don’t face further resistance.

Welcome letter was given + drink voucher (usable at lobby bar, red oven restaurant, or the rooftop bar (the best use IMO, to enjoy the stunning view).

Room

The So Suite was nice, although the bedroom and bathroom parts were a bit too dark, due to smaller windows compared to other rooms (and no window in the bathroom).

IMG_9433.JPGIMG_9434.JPGIMG_9435.JPGIMG_9436.JPGIMG_9438.JPGIMG_9439.JPGIMG_9440.JPGIMG_9441.JPGIMG_9442.JPGIMG_9444.JPGIMG_9445.JPGIMG_9446.JPGIMG_9447.JPGIMG_9448.JPGIMG_9449.JPGIMG_9450.JPGIMG_9451.JPGIMG_9452.JPGIMG_9453.JPGIMG_9454.JPGIMG_9455.JPGIMG_9456.JPG

I didn’t notice immediately the « problems » I will describe here after, because I wanted to unpack rapidly and go out. But when I came back to the room in the afternoon, I noticed plenty of dirty spots in several areas of the room, even a hole in the bedsheet. Clearly not acceptable IMO in a Sofitel (where the word « Luxury » is always used in conjunction) and furthermore in a suite.  Even if those are not always easy to take in pictures, I think they are self-explanatory. You will surely appreciate the beautiful hand trace on the door from the corridor to the bedroom part !

IMG_9458.JPGfullsizeoutput_7d36.jpegIMG_9460.JPGIMG_9461.JPGIMG_9462.JPGIMG_9463.JPGIMG_9465.JPGIMG_9466.JPGIMG_9467.JPGIMG_9490.JPG

The following morning, I informed the lounge attendant (same guy as the one who checked me in) and bring him into the room to show him what I was not happy with. He was apologetic of course and he asked me whether I would like to stay in this room after a special housekeeping service, or if I wanted to change room. I said both options could be considered, although I doubted that housekeeping could completely resolve the issues, as some of the dirt parts I saw are just « engraved » in the material. They insisted in showing me a new room and then I could make a decision. I was shown a So Lofty room on the 26th floor (just above the Club lounge), still water element. The room was very nice and I preferred it to the other one, so decided to move. I packed all my stuff and they came with the new keys, but to my surprise, it was not for the room I was bring in. It was the same one but on a nother floor. OK, no problem but then I discovered again some not clean spots (again this is engraved in the material and not cleanable by housekeeping).

IMG_9492.JPGIMG_9494.JPG

So not happy again, I went back to the lounge and asked why they didn’t gave me the room they just showed me ? They said that they thought this one was better and sot hey finally gave me the one they showed me initially above the lounge. He came to the room with me to inspect it and to confirm I was happy with it, which was the case. He remained very professional but it was obvious that he was starting to think that I was a kind of pain. Sorry, but I am not going to Sofitel in top rooms, and as a Platinum member, to have some kind of not-well-maintained rooms. The new room was not spotless but it was acceptable. Second (and last) problem, well addressed but this is taking way too much time to deal with. 

All my stuff being transferred, here are the pictures of the So Lofty room. Very nice !

You can take a bath or a shower enjoying the view. You have a separate dressing room with the safety box. One TV in each room with the nice Apple mini-Mac system. 

IMG_9495.JPGIMG_9497.JPGIMG_9498.JPGIMG_9499.JPGIMG_9500.JPGIMG_9501.JPGIMG_9502.JPGIMG_9503.JPGIMG_9504.JPGIMG_9505.JPGIMG_9506.JPGIMG_9507.JPGIMG_9508.JPGIMG_9509.JPGIMG_9510.JPGIMG_9511.JPG

Another minor issue : the welcome gift (see picture) consisted in a nice box with exotic fruits, but you have no plate, no cuttlery and no napkin.

IMG_9486.JPG

Swimming pool

A very enjoyable pool after a day in the heat of Bangkok. I could spend hours looking at this view !

IMG_9469.JPGIMG_9470.JPGIMG_9471.JPGIMG_9472.JPGIMG_9473.JPGIMG_9487.JPGIMG_9488.JPGIMG_9489.JPG

Clu Millesime

Still the same, but with one bad change : the happy hour cocktail time is now 4 to 6 pm instead of 5 to 7 !! Ridiculous change IMO. I asked of course why on earth did they change for this weird time ? I was answered that it was following to customer feedback !! I said that I was quite surprised and I will come back later in this review on this.

I don’t know if there was any relationship to this, but, while the hotel looked busy, the lounge was deserted most of the times, except for my last 2 evenings (which were weekend evenings). Also, even if the drink offering is still aceptable (see pictures of the menu), I found the wines being really cheap brands and not so good, outside the rosé and the Prosecco wich were good.

IMG_9474.JPGIMG_9475.JPGIMG_9476.JPGIMG_9478.JPGIMG_9479.JPGIMG_9481.JPGIMG_9482.JPG

BF can be taken at the lounge or at the main restaurant. The lounge was also not very busy at BF, maybe because most customers prefer to take i tat the main restaurant ? I took it at the lounge as usual, as I like the quieter environment and the food offering is more than enough for my needs at BF.

Management Reception

Every Wednesday evening (at 7 pm), there is a management cocktail reception for LCAH members on a private terrace above the rooftop bar. A nice touch IMO. GM was not there but management was represented by the F&B director and the guest experience manager, 2 French guys with whom I of course chatted with, especially the latter. He asked me if my stay was good (this was the day I changed room). I said yes but told him the issues I have encountered. He was of course very sorry. I told him that the issues are always the same at this hotel and that they should addressed that. I told him about the extraordinary room I had during my previous stay (see in this thread) and he said he would look the following morning if such a  room was available. I thanked him of course, but TBH I was not sure to want to change room again (note : he came to the lounge the following morning but no such room was available, so I stayed in my So Lofty and was perfectly happy in). I also asked him about this weird change of happy hour cocktail time at the lounge, and that I was not really buying the customer feedback thing, and that I was suspecting more a kind cost cutting measure. Indeed, if you are here for holidays, it’s too early as you are still in town or you are at the pool enjoying the best time of the day (less hot, less direct sun), and if you are here on business you are simply out for work. And you come back when it’s already over. So by changing it to an inconvenient time for most of the people, you decrease the number of persons and related drink consumption). He said that it was recently changed for a 3-month test period. He confirmed the customer feedback thing but I understood it has been a few customers having rooms on the lounge floor who complained about too many people traffic on this floor because of the lounge at a too late time (no comment about 7 pm being a too late time + sound proofing is very good at that time). But he admitted between the lines (without saying it explicitely of course), that operating costs and revenues were part of the equation. He mentioned that operating a lounge was costly (and that 2 Bangkok Sukhumvit  area hotels, the Park Hyatt and the Sheraton, recently shut down their lounges to make an additional suite*) and that, with the 5 to 7 pm time, many people were not hungry anymore after the lounge visit, sot hey were not having dinner in the hotel restaurant and so it was a loss of revenue. 

*he said also that they have only 12 suites at the So and that was not enough as they are often fully booked and soi t can be a problem for the Platinum upgrades

Of course, I can understand all this, but I tried to deliver clear messages to him, from my customer perspective :

• a lounge is a great competitive advantage (I can choose an hotel vs another one because of this) and that the decision of the 2 competitors was really very stupid, IMO, especially in Asia
  • the new 4 to 6 pm cocktail time is bad, and they should come back to 5-7. 

Overall a nice discussion with somebody caring about guests enjoying the stunning view on Lumphini park and Bangkok skyline. This guy (and all the staff) really did their best to make my stay the most enjoyable.

IMG_9525.JPGIMG_9526.JPGIMG_9527.JPGIMG_9529.JPGIMG_9530.JPGIMG_9534.JPGIMG_9535.JPGIMG_9536.JPG

On a satellite discussion during this cocktail, you can see on the picture below a large space on the right of the park. Unfortunately, a major project is on the way, calles « One Bangkok ». It will be a shopping mall + hotel + appartments. It will hide a part of the view from the So, but the main part of the view will be preserved hopefully thanks to the Lumphini park. It will be a 7 years project and this is just the beginning (nothing has really started).

1_IMG_9437.JPG

Dining

Plenty of nice options at this hotel :

• pool bar for lunch and all-day snacks
  • Red oven : the main restaurant for BF, lunch and dinner. The buffet is excellent and very good value for money
  • Club millesime if you have access to it (BF, evening cocktail and all-day soft drinks)
  • Rooftop fancy restaurant (called Park Society). I haven’t been this time (I have been only once and found it very expensive for what they serve)
  • Roof top bar. They serve also snacks (pizza, sandwiches, burgers, noodles, etc). I had dinner there twice, especially the last evening as I couldn’t get away from this view at sunset.

As always, the staff was great and was even caring, at the rooftop bar, to inform you when a better seat/table (for the view) was available.

Pictures of Red Oven restaurant:

IMG_0105.JPGIMG_0106.JPGIMG_0107.JPGIMG_0108.JPGIMG_0109.JPGIMG_0110.JPGIMG_0111.JPGIMG_0112.JPGIMG_0113.JPGIMG_0114.JPGIMG_0115.JPG

Pictures of rooftop bar:

IMG_0120.JPGIMG_0121.JPGIMG_0122.JPGIMG_0123.JPGIMG_0124.JPGIMG_0125.JPGIMG_0126.JPGIMG_0127.JPG

On a satellite note : I had dinner once at the nearby Banyan Tree splendid (but pricey !) rooftop restaurant, but I didn’t see any Accor signs or artifact ;) there.

IMG_9664.JPG

Overall

Overall, a very good stay despite the « issues » I have reported. OK, they should definitely address those repeating problems (the lack of spontaneous upgrade looks more as an hotel policy to me because of its systematic character), but as said previously, when you report a problem, they always address it very seriously.

I would return without blinking an eye. Bangkok is one of my favourite city on this small planet and the Sofitel So is my Accor hotel of choice there (BTW, I am always astonished by the number of Accor properties in Bangkok).

IMG_9544.JPGIMG_9582.JPGIMG_9656.JPG

Review Sofitel So Bangkok

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel So Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
RJ77 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

@gilbertaue : 100 pictures in this review. This is the new standard !! Can I have my Platinum for life card now ???
Old May 14, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Goldorak
@gilbertaue : 100 pictures in this review. This is the new standard !! Can I have my Platinum for life card now ???
please get your Platinum Life card.... you are so problematic guest - very demanding

Well I hope it will be a good stay for me next June. This will be my second stay. My first stay like 2 years ago, I did not really like the room. It was sooo white. I did not think I get an upgrade even I was a Platinum because I was using StayPlus benefit.

So I guess, I should not expect one next month as I will be using StayPlus benefit and only Gold now.

I like the type of room they gave you. I prefer darker color than white, so what element I should ask? Water?
Old May 14, 2018, 1:49 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I h*te you.

Excellent review. Thank you my friend.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:04 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
gilbertaue you make me really want to return to what has always been (since it opened) my favourite Accor hotel in the world. Having said that, I've found the same issues you have had, except for my very first ever stay where So Paul sealed the deal for me wanting to stay there by the most exceptional service I have ever received. Having said that, it was only about 2 months old and he treated us like royalty, but it made the hotel my favourite - but it's never lived up to the experience I had that first time.

But it's my go to in Bangkok every time.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: AccorAll - Diamond Qantas - Platinum
This is my favourite hotel on the planet as well! Not that i stay in that many hotels around the world. But i can certainly say it is my favourite accor hotel.

I have enjoyed 6 or 7 stays since opening. And after my first stay (as platinum) soon after opening, where i had some issues with room allocation, all my other stays have been as gold, but i continue to enjoy the best loyalty recognition of any accor hotel.

In the early days, Paul handled that first issue and subsequent visits, but now while Paul is still in hotel, he no longer has direct responsibility in front office/club. Regardless, i continue to enjoy recognition and intuitive service from management and staff. I have never received so many business cards from so many managers at any hotel.

Other than that first visit (where i did not get room i paid for), i have always received a room upgrade (if not 2 level). I have never been refused early/late checkout (including 7am). Extras are not uncommon. Staff recognition at the club is excellent.

While i do enjoy the modern design, some of the room elements are not my favourite. The cosy/comfy rooms are not my expectation now. But i love a metal studio room! Some suite designs not as good as others. Basically i book a club comfy room, and happy with my upgrades. While the view from the pool is also a highlight, the atmosphere on the pool deck is not the best, with not enough space and/or too busy. Solarium on other side of building - just nondescript. One shortcoming for us at this hotel.

We too experienced the early club hours last visit, and queried them. And were told it was customer feedback. I laughed and said are you serious? Manager was almost sheepish in response. Tis true... consumption at the club, does curb our eating drinking in other parts of the hotel. But to be honest, in Bangkok, i just dont eat in my hotel period. But drinks on the top floor is mandatory!

I recently enjoyed a short stay only last month, just before songkran. This was our 5th accor hotel in 2 weeks across thailand and vietnam. Previous 4 hotels, did not offer room upgrades, even after querying. All gave the basic drink card & some provided welcome amenity. None provided anything special to recognize loyalty beyond basics. This is not the experience i have when returning to My hotel, the So.

Sofitel saigon did not even follow room requests in my profile - away from elevator and service corridors. If you know the hotel, there is hotel room that opens into elevator lobby... somehow i got that room. We were then moved to a room opposite the housekeeping corridor/room. When i queried any room upgrade, it was one of those suedo better amenities/high floor rooms - the ones you cant book as a room category.

After speaking with 2 different people by phone, duty manager calls back to explain situation. After a discussion where is explained the hotel logic that did not make sense to me (ie i did not get next room category that was avail online at the time - club), he invited us to lounge and met us there, where we enjoyed evening drinks and canapes. Next morning when we returned for breakfast, we weren't on the list. i guess i was invited for drinks only! I have no idea....

I can see why some people might not like the modernity and relaxed nature of the Sofitel So, but for my money, they deliver.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by lingua101
I like the type of room they gave you. I prefer darker color than white, so what element I should ask? Water?
The 2 rooms I shown in the review are Water. They are also on the highest floors.
Personally, I like the metal element rooms, am OK with wood (but not a passion) and I truly dislike the Earth element rooms (the "blue" ones).
Old May 15, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
The 2 rooms I shown in the review are Water. They are also on the highest floors.
Personally, I like the metal element rooms, am OK with wood (but not a passion) and I truly dislike the Earth element rooms (the "blue" ones).
IC, I think I won't get it then. Last time I think they have me 14floor. It is very white. I do not like it.

Based on my 1 night stay there, I do not really like this hotel, as I feel they are very stingy. Well let see if I change my mind after my next stay.

My fave hotel in BKK still, Sofitel Sukhumvit.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:53 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
WOW. Kudos on the nice review @Goldorak Please contact Accor for you Lifetime Platinum. HAHAHAS

Anyways, when I read the part about the Executive Lounge, all I can say is this, if they remove it, they gonna lose alot of Platinum guest. I usually base my hotel decisions on Lounges these days even though I hardly travel now.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:46 am

I concur with @Goldorak my order of preference is metal, water, wood, earth. The earth blue is just too “out there”
And yes it should be noted the elements are grouped together, so highest floors water, then earth, metal wood. (If I remember correctly). so for views, only 3 elements do it for me.

And with the wear and tear that is being reported, (I also concur), this is most evident in the darkest elements of water and earth. Another reason I enjoy the metal element of stone, metal and glass

Last edited by ozmouse; May 15, 2018 at 4:14 am
Old May 15, 2018, 3:57 am

And it should be noted, all elements do not have all room types/suites.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Pretty sure I always get put in the same loft suite as Goldorak. I do love the hotel and have stayed there 4 trips now. The one thing I am not crazy about is the location, the traffic is absolutely brutal outside the hotel and I would prefer to be close to a BTS station than the MRT station. This and housekeeping are the only areas I feel the W has SoSofitel beat as I feel they are direct competitors with the vibe and locations of the hotels. Service and rooms much nicer at So Sofitel.

I will be splitting time between SoSofitel and the Park Hyatt next trip as I am keen to try the park hyatt there despite the mixed reviews. I love the location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.