Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
New DESTINATION FEE as of July 1 2018

Just made a reservation for 3 nights in early September, using the last free night certificate for 1 night and booking the other 2 nights with a corporate rate.

The Fairmont reservation agent has mentioned the newly instituted DESTINATION FEE of USD 20 per night covering "access to most sought after hotel amenities".

As a Platimum member (Fairmont before, Accor now), I have access to those anyway - and our corporate booking engine does not mention this fee at all.
Apparently, corporate rates are exempt.

Anybody else has an experience with this?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:58 pm

This is bogus. What amenities? This isn't a giant resort with 4 pools. There's a spa which you pay for and I think there's a gym which I've never used. This is just accor nickle and diming us.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
This is becoming more and more prominent in US city hotels - and is already especially rife in New York where high-end hotels in the Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG & Hilton all have these destination fees. Often it essentially forcing you to buy a F&B credit or similar and offering discounts to certain New York affiliated attractions through the concierge. In reality these fees are just an excuse to charge more than the advertised room rate in captive markets. I'm disappointed in Accor for continuing this spread of unnecessary fees. These resort fees are illegal in the European Union and hopefully will be outlawed in the major US tourist cities, including San Francisco, soon.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:08 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
First time at the Fairmont

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

950 Mason Street Atop Nob Hill San Francisco, CA US 94108

First time at the Fairmont (11 Photos)

I stayed two nights at Fairmont San Francisco recently. It was my first time at the Fairmont hotel and can’t say I’m wowed.

4_1.jpg

Check In

A kitschy palace. That what I felt when I arrived in the evening after a long flight from Europe. The lobby was crowded and I was greeted by a giant christmas tree and somewhat tasteless gingerbread house. No, I didn’t took a bite of it but I found it tasteless just by look at it.

Christmas is soon here, yay!

After I finally managed to make my way to the front desk through the crowd, I presented my Le Club gold card. ”It’s in the system”, I received as a reply together with a key card to my room. Enjoy your stay!

3_2.jpg3_3.jpg3_4.jpg

Room

An entry-level Fairmont queen room was booked and that’s what I got. I was too tired to go back downstairs to demand anything. I just wanted to have a quick shower and go to bed as soon as possible.

The room was spacious enough for one person, about 30 sqm, but smelly and bed was uncomfortable hard. View to the gloomy inner courtyard didn’t inspire me at all. I almost felt like I’m in a prison. Fortunately, I didn't have much time to spend in my room.

Bathroom amenities were really, really poor: I had to request everything from dental to shaving kits – basic amenities. Not a big deal but just inconvenient, especially when you are tired and have a jet lag.

The room description mentioned bathrobe but I couldn’t find one in my room.

Toiletries were from Le Labo. I think my mom would like that rosy scent more than I did. One tiny bottle of each was provided and that was enough to be honest. I missed Sofitel’s Hermes.

3_5.jpg3_6.jpg3_7.jpg2_8.jpg3_9.jpg3_10.jpg

Service

Staff at the front desk was actually very friendly. When I requested my welcome drink voucher the next day on my way to meeting (since it wasn’t given spontaneously when I checked in) it was given with a smile. I used it at breakfast for a pot coffee which was then charged to my room. This was fixed at check-out when I pointed it out. The service at breakfast was slow and sour.

Dining

The eggs benedict I had for breakfast was okayish. Not bad at all but I just expected a little more for about 30 dollars spent.

3_11.jpg

The location is excellent, atop Nob Hill, with easy access to everywhere I needed to be. Not far from major tourist spots.

Overall

San Francisco is such a lovely city but the hotel didn’t impress me and I’m not rushing back. I prefer more modern luxury. The experience at Fairmont San Francisco was like an overnight in museum.

I didn’t bother to complain about the non-existing room upgrade and other perks since I was so busy all the time and basically just slept at the hotel.

By the way, the hotel used to have a swimming pool but the space is now used as a restaurant which was also quite disappointing. Would have been nice to go to sauna after a busy day.

First time at the Fairmont

Would you like to write a review on the The Fairmont San Francisco?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:38 am

An extremely useful review with great photos. It is always extremely helpful to know which hotels can be avoided, or booked only as a last resort . . . hotels which offer poor or only average elite treatment according to brand standards . . . or are too inconsistent (especially in the case of the rarer, more expensive brands). I am not really sure of the exact etiquette with regard to "liking" such reviews/comments. But it definitely helps me when people comment on below standard treatment. Thank you.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Kobetraveller
An extremely useful review with great photos. It is always extremely helpful to know which hotels can be avoided, or booked only as a last resort . . . hotels which offer poor or only average elite treatment according to brand standards . . . or are too inconsistent (especially in the case of the rarer, more expensive brands). I am not really sure of the exact etiquette with regard to "liking" such reviews/comments. But it definitely helps me when people comment on below standard treatment. Thank you.
Although it was before the acquisition by Accor, I was upgraded to a Signature room without using any Fairmont certificates. I believe there was an option for a suite, but we opted for the view. My wife got sick and we were not charged for the use of the hotel car that took us to a doctor. Since we had a late flight and one of us was ill, we were given what I believe was a 6 PM checkout.

When people don't ask about upgrades or provide information about occupancy levels, readers are left guessing whether the lack of benefits is the result of others booking higher quality rooms and suites or the lack of elite recognition. If no upgrades were provided when the hotel was at 50% occupancy, I would suggest the Intercontinental across the street from the Fairmont.

Unless I am in a location where there are no nearby options, I generally don't eat in hotel restaurants. Although I can't judge the quality of someone's eggs Benedict from a picture, I don't think the price seems out of line for a hotel in that part of town.

Last edited by rny321; Dec 10, 2018 at 8:13 am
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:21 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by rny321
When people don't ask about upgrades or provide information about occupancy levels, readers are left guessing whether the lack of benefits is the result of others booking higher quality rooms and suites or the lack of elite recognition. If no upgrades were provided when the hotel was at 50% occupancy, I would suggest the Intercontinental across the street from the Fairmont.
I totally agree with you. Usually, I check the available rooms on app and give feedback at the hotel. This time I was so busy and tired that I just didn't bother. However, the experience as a whole was disappointing. Missing drink voucher and newspaper, for example, can't have anything to do with occupancy levels. This is my subjective review and others' experiences may be different.
rny321 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
I totally agree with you. Usually, I check the available rooms on app and give feedback at the hotel. This time I was so busy and tired that I just didn't bother. However, the experience as a whole was disappointing. Missing drink voucher and newspaper, for example, can't have anything to do with occupancy levels. This is my subjective review and others' experiences may be different.
I completely understand. When I'm tired, I would rather sleep than negotiate benefits with the front desk. Although many times the front desk at Fairmont hotels would ask if someone was celebrating anything and if the guest said yes would offer drink coupons, it wasn't a designated amenity until after the merger. Since drink vouchers are part of Le Club, they should have been offered without asking.

Please don't mistake my comments as criticism of a thorough review. I like that you included pictures and gave a clear description of the character of the hotel.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 3:01 pm

wow. no recent posts in 2019 for this property. not surprised at all. ive stayed here many times as a plat and have enjoyed getting to know the staff. however, make no mistake, this property is a super old historical museum and is officially classified as such. meaning, this place is nothing compared to many other fairmont properties. now this prop charges a ridiculous $30 Urban Experience Fee daily which includes everything that a plat already receives except the "Nightly Wine Down reception: 5:00 - 6:00pm" has anyone experienced this? probably nothing much compared to the fairmont gold floor.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:28 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
wow. no recent posts in 2019 for this property. not surprised at all. ive stayed here many times as a plat and have enjoyed getting to know the staff. however, make no mistake, this property is a super old historical museum and is officially classified as such. meaning, this place is nothing compared to many other fairmont properties.
Indeed. This property classifies perhaps barely as 5 star but it’s pretty cheap and relatively tired when compared to the rest of the best properties in town. Even the other historic Palace Hotel is far more refreshed and modernized to standard for the luxury or high end business traveler. The rates here reflect that, too.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Indeed. This property classifies perhaps barely as 5 star but it’s pretty cheap and relatively tired when compared to the rest of the best properties in town. Even the other historic Palace Hotel is far more refreshed and modernized to standard for the luxury or high end business traveler. The rates here reflect that, too.
oh dude. if you bring up Palace or even St. Regis nearby, then this Fairmont is trash compared to those when you also incorporate service level and prime location. marriott has way better elite recognition vs accor. of course everything is YMMV based on how much rev you generate beyond just normal published elite requirements esp if you are a PC Circle Member via fairmont residence, but this fairmont should be ashamed of themselves. its like they think the IC MH next door is the only lux competition in town.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:04 pm

I agree to some extent, particularly the older "historic" part. But the newer tower rooms are very nice and offer great views of the bay, especially the suites. That, plus the location mean we usually stay here over other places. The restaurant is subpar, expensive and over crowded.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
My high school had its Junior Prom or Senior Ball here in the mid 1970s, and my law school had its graduation here in the late 1980s.

So I might like to go back. If Accor ALL has a current credit card for U.S. residents, please post about that in the following or other appropriate thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/acco...isa-cards.html (in Europe)
kevino likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
oh dude. if you bring up Palace or even St. Regis nearby, then this Fairmont is trash compared to those when you also incorporate service level and prime location. marriott has way better elite recognition vs accor. of course everything is YMMV based on how much rev you generate beyond just normal published elite requirements esp if you are a PC Circle Member via fairmont residence, but this fairmont should be ashamed of themselves. its like they think the IC MH next door is the only lux competition in town.
I was a frequent Fairmont guest at dozens of different properties until Accor took over and, in my opinion, Accor has seriously degraded the brand. That said, the staff at the hotels are doing their best to overcome the major Accor F-up. I have stayed at both the historic and tower rooms at the Fairmont San Francisco. The historic rooms are small and crowded but that is what a historic room was like. I think the Fairmont compares favorably to the Palace if you do not have to deal with Accor arrogance and incompetence. But I also agree there are better Marriott properties to choose from.

Fairmont had great elite recognition. Accor is absolute crap and they know it now.

Accor buying Fairmont is like if Motel 6 bought Four Seasons to incentivize their Motel 6 guests. They have made it so IBIS (think Motel6) customers paying $60 a night or less get the same elite credits as a Fairmont guest paying $500. The FS regulars are screwed and service will suffer. It is absolute incompetence to think this will not kill Fairmont.

I was for years a Fairmont platinum. I've had hotel managers from 2 different properties contact me personally recently and ask why I have not come back. I am honest with them that it it is because Accor has screwed everything up so badly and they are apologetic and admit Accor made huge mistakes. But I understant the French managers are arrogant and oblivious and thinkk they have done everything right even though indivual hotels are suffering severely. It's really a sad story
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by KonaGuy
I was a frequent Fairmont guest at dozens of different properties until Accor took over and, in my opinion, Accor has seriously degraded the brand. That said, the staff at the hotels are doing their best to overcome the major Accor F-up. I have stayed at both the historic and tower rooms at the Fairmont San Francisco. The historic rooms are small and crowded but that is what a historic room was like. I think the Fairmont compares favorably to the Palace if you do not have to deal with Accor arrogance and incompetence. But I also agree there are better Marriott properties to choose from.

Fairmont had great elite recognition. Accor is absolute crap and they know it now.

Accor buying Fairmont is like if Motel 6 bought Four Seasons to incentivize their Motel 6 guests. They have made it so IBIS (think Motel6) customers paying $60 a night or less get the same elite credits as a Fairmont guest paying $500. The FS regulars are screwed and service will suffer. It is absolute incompetence to think this will not kill Fairmont.

I was for years a Fairmont platinum. I've had hotel managers from 2 different properties contact me personally recently and ask why I have not come back. I am honest with them that it it is because Accor has screwed everything up so badly and they are apologetic and admit Accor made huge mistakes. But I understant the French managers are arrogant and oblivious and thinkk they have done everything right even though indivual hotels are suffering severely. It's really a sad story
well said. exactly my feelings. after accor, renewing plat made no sense. but i have not stayed at fairmont for years so i cant speak to current conditions, but i know many have special relationships with individual properties and get treated very well based on history and high spend at these properties. meaning, it becomes YMMV "private bank" type of relationship vs published consistent benefits applied globally. with accor, i cant justify that level of hotel spend when other clear winning options are available.

now, i focus my attention on programs with deep ecosystems and global scope such as marriott, IHG, and Hiltons. Hyatt too whenever one is around. they all have awesome lux brands in great locations. and if ur US based, its difficult to beat hotel programs supported by many financial institutions w/ credit cards and partnerships for point transfers / bonuses / etc.

but it did make me sad to cut ties with people i enjoyed seeing so often. such great people and service. they held up the amazing hospitality culture of each property.
SPN Lifer and Eagle_traveler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.