FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Fairmont Pacific Rim (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1048490-fairmont-pacific-rim.html)

taupo Sep 16, 2005 8:06 am

New Fairmont for Vancouver

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vanc...b-9ad3f662af84

Fairmont plans 3rd downtown hotel

Derrick Penner
Vancouver Sun

September 16, 2005

The development group behind the monolithic Shangri-La project, Shaw Tower and the ambitious Woodward's redevelopment is now buying one of the last lots on Vancouver's downtown waterfront to build another luxury hotel and condominium complex.

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, owners of the property adjacent to the Vancouver Convention and Exhibition Centre expansion, said Thursday that it has struck a deal to sell the lot for $68 million to Vancouver's Westbank Projects and Peterson Investment Group.

Fairmont spokeswoman Laura Fairweather said Westbank plans to develop the site as a 43-storey, 800,000-square-foot mixed use tower with a 415-room, five-star hotel and 200 units of luxury condominiums.

Fairweather, Fairmont's executive director of public relations, said the company has negotiated a contract to manage the hotel, which will be the company's third downtown Vancouver property after the Hotel Vancouver and Waterfront Hotel, and its fourth in the Lower Mainland.

Fairmont's corporate strategy, Fairweather added, is to divest itself of the real estate portfolio that the company inherited when it was spun off from Canadian Pacific and increase the number of hotel management contracts that it holds.

Fairmont expects to earn between $30 million and $36 million from the deal, which is expected to close in November, 2006, with the hotel to open in 2009.

In a news release, Fairmont CEO William Fatt said the new hotel will strengthen Fairmont's presence in the top segment of the hotel market in what he characterized as "a key gateway city."

Fairweather said the new Fairmont hotel will work cooperatively with its existing Vancouver properties.

"We maintain a very positive outlook for the city," Fairweather said. "Obviously with the new convention centre opening in 2008, we'll have a good idea of the business on the books for that new facility, and with 2010 [Olympics] coming, there are going to be a lot of opportunities."

Westbank principal Ian Gillespie refused to comment on the deal Thursday.

Westbank and Peterson Investment, however, are not unfamiliar with development in downtown Vancouver.

Westbank developed the Shaw Tower, and is in partnership with Peterson Investment to build the 60-storey, 196-metre-high Shangri-La tower, which will be the cities tallest building. It will also house a five-star Shangri-La hotel.

Fairmont is a leading owner and operator of luxury hotels and resorts. Its managed portfolio consists of 88 luxury and first-class properties around the world.

Altaflyer Sep 16, 2005 12:50 pm

Well good for the Olympics but 3 Fairmonts downtown? In the summer I am sure the demand is there as the Waterfront is often sold out but the rest of the year? I guess we shall see. Why not another property in Toronto? I know they had the Skydome hotel but that was a bit of a different thing altogether. Perhaps a Fairmont at the airport? The one at YVR does well.

eastcoastcan Sep 16, 2005 1:27 pm

I would think a YYZ Fairmont would do quite well. There really aren't any great options out there, IMHO. Not like the YVR Fairmont to be sure.

TeaAddict Sep 16, 2005 3:24 pm

On the plus side, it makes doing the hotel hop for premier status even easier.

acysb87 Sep 16, 2005 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by TeaAddict
On the plus side, it makes doing the hotel hop for premier status even easier.

That would be the new and improved ;) status???

Cascadia Sep 16, 2005 5:36 pm

The Fairmont Waterfront may become a Delta Hotel. That is only my prediction.

luxury Sep 16, 2005 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cascadia
The Fairmont Waterfront may become a Delta Hotel. That is only my prediction.

I had heard rumours that it was the Hotel Vancouver which might be leaving the Fairmont family..... this is hearsay from a family friend of ours who makes 2-3 dozen stays a year at the Hotel Vancouver....... however, to me this one doesn't make much sense....

TeaAddict Sep 16, 2005 9:27 pm

Wow, losing the Hotel Vancouver seems like it would totally go against their brand. The Waterfront I can see. I know some people here love it, but it felt totally generic and bland to me. (Well, the dog. But other than that.)

Cascadia Nov 19, 2005 7:43 pm

Just returned from the waterfront. Some staff also had heard that it could be rebranded a Delta. Not until 2010 though when the new Fairmont is broken in.

jantaoYVR Nov 24, 2005 4:43 pm

Was just walking by the site for the new Fairmont in Vancouver. Apparently it will be called the Fairmont Pacific Rim. Along the construction wall on the north side of Cordova St. is huge advertising for sales registration at the property. Some glitzy pics can be found at http://www.fairmontpacificrim.com/ but the only functionality there is to sign up for sales info at the property. Looks pretty impressive from the inital pics and renderings.

J

tcook052 Feb 5, 2010 8:02 am

Fairmont Pacific Rim

For a Fairmont in Vancouver, the quoted prices of $229 didn't seem too bad to this poster. Here's the full press release:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...,1152136.shtml

TORONTO, ONTARIO -- 02/04/10 -- The Fairmont Pacific Rim, fronting one of Vancouver's best addresses, is a newcomer to an area rich in history and intrigue. With unobstructed views of the north Shore Mountains, Stanley Park and Coal Harbour, guests are treated to the vistas that have transfixed travelers since Captain Vancouver arrived in 1792. Sophisticated and cosmopolitan, but casual and contemporary, the hotel combines the best of Asia and the west coast, in its plan, decor, and culinary offerings. A downtown oasis, it was designed to five star standards with resort features such as a rooftop swimming pool, meditation pods, outdoor fireplaces, and spa.

The 377-room Fairmont Pacific Rim, full for the 2010 Olympic Games, debuts in March with rates starting from $229 for a guestroom, $249 for Bed & Breakfast, and $299 for Fairmont Gold, which includes butler services. Prices (CDN) are valid through June 30, 2010, exclude taxes and are based on double occupancy. Reservations can be made by calling 1-800-441-1414 or through www.fairmont.com/pacificrim.

Guests enter the marble-clad lobby, via a bridge flanked by waterfalls, where a one-of-a-kind $225,000 Fazioli piano takes centre stage. Soaring across the ceiling is a 180-foot long sculpture handcrafted by master origami artist Joseph Wu, while floor-to- ceiling windows allow light and views to enter and a sleek fireplace warms the room. The Lobby Lounge serves afternoon artisan teas and tableside cocktails via an Art Deco trolley and has a raw bar that features seasonal seafood, sushi and comfort foods with a twist. Live entertainment is played throughout the week and on Sunday afternoons.

The Pan-Asian bistro, ORU - a derivation of the Japanese word that means "to unfold" - serves authentic dishes from the scratch kitchen. A tandoori oven bakes naan, bannock and lavish and is accompanied by house-made sambal. Homemade noodles, Ocean-Wise seafood, locally sourced and organic ingredients are presented in a menu that represents the diversity of the Pacific Rim and the culinary skills of executive chef David Wong. ORU boasts the largest in the city, a wine list that emphasizes Pacific Northwest labels, a private dining room, communal table and front-row chef's table.

Giovane is an Italian-inspired cafe with deli, charcuterie, ooh-la-la specialty cakes and house-roasted ethical coffee. A 50-foot long emporium wall features an eclectic assortment of local crafts and culinary items, including fresh breads made in the pastry shop, to purchase.

State-of-the-art guestrooms include surround sound, media connectivity, bedside controls and "tv mirrors". Mascioni linens, Stearns & Foster beds, Nespresso coffee makers, and spa-like bathrooms with "mirror televisions" are a standard.

The "Bucket List" Chairman's Suite, nicknamed the Rock Star suite for its private elevator and elegant entertaining options, and was inspired by a Balinese villa. At 2,250 square feet, it includes a custom eight-foot long crystal chandelier that cascades over a two-storey salon, master bedroom with fireplace, 500 square foot ensuite marble bathroom with hand-carved soaker tub, two living rooms, butler's pantry, private exercise area and outdoor landscaped terrace with cabana, meditation pond and fire pit. A "rich and famous" suite, it is also ideal for a private party or wedding with a capacity of up to 60 people.

Willow Stream Spa has nine treatment areas, a lounge for couples, men, and women, a mani-pedi room, full fitness centre and yoga studio. Treatments include access to a private 2,500 square foot outdoor deck with meditation pods, cabanas, and Jacuzzis.

The hotel's 15,000 square feet of meeting and function space consists of eight meeting rooms with pre-function space and two ballrooms capable of holding 400 guests. Synchronized service is the norm, and selections range from traditional Indian wedding menus to bento boxes for groups.

Art plays a leading role in the hotel, beginning with the building's exterior. A million dollar artwork, created by UK artist Liam Gillick, wraps around the corner and up floors five through 22, providing a demarcation of the hotel and luxury residences above. The artwork consists of 2' high stainless steel letters in Helvetica bold font and is a running line of repeated text:

lyingontopofabuildingthecloudslookednonearerthanwh enIwaslyingonthestreet

(Lying on top of a building the clouds looked no nearer than when I was lying on the street...).

Also outside, is a "rice wall" with an abstract forest scene viewed through a series of perforated stainless steel screens. At close range appears to be a textural wall finish and it's only from a distance that the impression can be seen, proving the maxim, "you can't see the forest for the trees".

BC images are exhibited throughout the hotel with landscapes and stunning vintage wildflower photographs in the public spaces. Scenes of water, forest or skies are displayed in guestrooms.

Fairmont Pacific Rim has been developed through the partnership of Westbank and Peterson Group, two established real estate companies based in Vancouver, British Columbia. Westbank and Peterson Group are innovators both well known for building luxury residential buildings.

propofol Feb 5, 2010 1:53 pm

I wonder if I could get the Chairman's Suite with a suite upgrade cert? ;)

Ancien Maestro Feb 6, 2010 1:33 am

F&F on pretty much all categories. Great!

Ancien Maestro Feb 16, 2010 6:48 pm

Briefly took a look at the opening specials at Pacific Rim at the counter of the Banff Springs. $229 per night with Valet and Breakfast. $299 (two nite minimum) for 2 massages, valet and breakfast.. this if my memory serves me correct.

They just upped the F&F.. so I think these packages are the loss leaders.

kokinos Feb 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Walked by the Pacific Rim while in Vancouver a few days ago and it looks very nice. Look forward to a stay there in a couple months and checking out the lounge which I heard is quite impressive and their resto menu which is much different then the usual Fairmont fare you come across.

Anyone know what the room on the NE side which looks like on the side of the pool is? They were still doing construction inside but if ends up being a hotel room holy moly suite upgrade time :)