Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by italdesign
Pretty obvious what they are doing - allocate ONE room out of the entire property for suite upgrades to satisfy program requirement, with no intention to use it for any other purpose.
They're almost full every single night. If you must have a suite, there are two other Fairmont's within walking distance.

In my opinion, they are pretty generous with their room upgrade certs. If you book a Partial Harbor view, you get an amazing Harbor view room.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Suite Upgrade

Have attempted to use suite upgrade certificates at this property half a dozen times and am always told the suite is booked, However I always receive complimentary upgrade to Signature Harbour View Room (3 category or so above Fairmont Room).

I have my third stay of the year booked for tomorrow and again was told the suite wasn't available. I reached out to the hotel directly asking if there were any creative solutions and was offered a complimentary upgrade to The Stanley Park suite for my continued loyalty.

Yay.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Does anyone have news on the new restaurant replacing Oru? We have a free night we need to use up before mid-June, and we'd like to use up a couple of dining certificates at the same time.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SOWK
Have attempted to use suite upgrade certificates at this property half a dozen times and am always told the suite is booked, However I always receive complimentary upgrade to Signature Harbour View Room (3 category or so above Fairmont Room).

I have my third stay of the year booked for tomorrow and again was told the suite wasn't available. I reached out to the hotel directly asking if there were any creative solutions and was offered a complimentary upgrade to The Stanley Park suite for my continued loyalty.

Yay.
Nice!^

The hotel's policy of only allowing a suite upgrade cert to be used for the Jr. Suite (of which there only is 1(?), and it's not even listed on the hotel's website) is rather pathetic IMO.

But the hotel does tend to take good care of its regular guests and tends to be somewhat flexible when it comes to finding alternative arrangements.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Does anyone have news on the new restaurant replacing Oru? We have a free night we need to use up before mid-June, and we'd like to use up a couple of dining certificates at the same time.
No, but whenever I read something like "It (the restaurant) will celebrate harmony with nature" I have to cringe.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:45 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I'm guessing you saw this:
"As one chapter closes, another begins with a development for a new dining experience that will be unveiled in spring 2017. The new concept is under the guidance of award-winning design firm Ste. Marie Design and brand by Glasfurd & Walker, both known for their collaborative work with some of Vancouver’s most notable restaurants including Kissa Tanto, Osteria Savio Volpe, and L’abbattoir. Further details on the restaurant concept will be revealed in the coming months."
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:54 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I'm guessing you saw this:
"As one chapter closes, another begins with a development for a new dining experience that will be unveiled in spring 2017. The new concept is under the guidance of award-winning design firm Ste. Marie Design and brand by Glasfurd & Walker, both known for their collaborative work with some of Vancouver’s most notable restaurants including Kissa Tanto, Osteria Savio Volpe, and L’abbattoir. Further details on the restaurant concept will be revealed in the coming months."
Strange. I thought of Oru as quite progressive. Menu changes are fine. The idea is just shy of 10 years old.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Strange. I thought of Oru as quite progressive. Menu changes are fine. The idea is just shy of 10 years old.
If the new place is anything like Osteria Savio Volpe or L’abbattoir maybe it will be a bit more casual, but that would seem at odds with the clientele in the Pac Rim. I'm also wondering how that would compete with something like Hawksworth's new place.

Either way, lots of competition within a five block radius, so we will see.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I'm guessing you saw this
Thanks, but I was hoping for more than what they post on their website. That's been there for months and therefore does not qualify as "news".
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:45 pm

Thanks, but I was hoping for more than what they post on their website. That's been there for months and therefore does not qualify as "news".
If they don't post anything in the next couple of weeks, I'll ask some chef friends when I see them next. A gossipy bunch who will probably know what's up.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:56 pm

"Botanist, a new restaurant development with a fresh culinary approach, will open this April on the second floor at Fairmont Pacific Rim. It will celebrate harmony with nature, showcasing the botany of British Columbia and the region in an environment that is as rich and diverse as the terroir it represents. The experience will reflect a new Pacific Northwest, one that has always been here, just waiting to be discovered.

The vibrant restaurant space will feature a collection of diverse venues - a cocktail bar and lab, garden, dining room, and champagne lounge, all inspired by the principals of botany.

Botanist will be helmed by Restaurant General Manager Shon Jones-Parry, and Executive Chef Hector Laguna, whose culinary pedigree spans across top foodie destinations and kitchens in San Francisco, Miami, Toronto and locally in Vancouver.

Under the creative direction of celebrated bartender, Grant Sceney, the Botanist's bar and cocktail lab will be led by a talented roster of award-winning bartenders and cocktail experts including Head Bartender David Wolowidnyk. The champagne lounge and wine program will be overseen by Wine Director Jill Spoor.

Botanist is a Vancouver collaboration with design firm Ste. Marie Design and award-winning Glasfurd & Walker.

Follow along its journey through the pages of the Botanist journal on Instagram and Facebook #botanistjournal"

https://www.facebook.com/botanistdining
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by jdj84
the Botanist's bar and cocktail lab
That sounds intriguing. I remember Grant's smoked pineapple martini from the Science of Cocktails event.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Sounds like a great expense account kind of place.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:09 pm

Thanks for the info, jdj84!

Originally Posted by jdj84
"Botanist, a new restaurant development with a fresh culinary approach, will open this April on the second floor at Fairmont Pacific Rim.
Good timing. Looks like this will be my birthday dinner!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:49 pm

Botanist opens on April 20th according to the bartender. Back at my home away from home this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.