Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Call and ask?

Call again. I negotiated a full suite with the Pacific Rim a couple of years ago.
They seemed to have stop negotiating in advance. I've emailed twice, both times the answer was that we can only upgrade to Junior Suite, and no further upgrade, even if you pay for it.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
In my opinion, it's always distasteful to ask/beg for something to which you're not entitled.
Except, in this case, isn't he entitled to it?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Except, in this case, isn't he entitled to it?
Why would he be?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Why would he be?
Well, I see your point in that I shouldn't ask for something that I am not entitled to.

But with a virtuoso booking aren't I 'entitled' to a 1 category upgrade subject to availability. So technically on the day of my check in, if the corner suite (which according to their website is one category higher than the gold suite that I booked) is available to book online, I should be 'entitled' to the upgrade.

Now I know sometimes they have subcategory within each category that is not listed online so I'm wondering if I will get upgraded from a gold suite to a gold suite with an enhanced view or something like that.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by specboi
Well, I see your point in that I shouldn't ask for something that I am not entitled to.

But with a virtuoso booking aren't I 'entitled' to a 1 category upgrade subject to availability.
I didn't think that included suites, but if it does, your agent should be able to handle it.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
I didn't think that included suites, but if it does, your agent should be able to handle it.
Thanks, I will ask my agent then.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by aviationp
They seemed to have stop negotiating in advance. I've emailed twice, both times the answer was that we can only upgrade to Junior Suite, and no further upgrade, even if you pay for it.
Yeah, they really wouldn't even entertain the notion of paying a cash supplement to upgrade. I also had a pretty unsatisfactory e-mail exchange with them. I was basicallly trying in early February to see whether room or a suite upgrades might be available for a visit in July, before my certs were deposited in my account in early March. I was told no, until the certs were deposited, which was fine and what I expected, but the rest of the e-mail was a bit problematic. Not really worth going into it all, but they sort of went out of their way to tell me I could not upgrade a free cert night anyway, because my reservation was booked through AMEX FHR and they would not honor a free night cert on a booking through Amex.

I had booked several nights in a Fairmont room through FHR and was planning to get two nights free using a third night free cert for night three and a free night annual visa cert night for night four (or five) and to try to then upgrade with a jr. suite or one category room upgrade cert. I was prepared to not have FHR benefits on the free night, but was a bit surprised at the assertion I could not use the free night certs at all, unless I booked through the hotel (paying a higher rate and losing FHR benefits). I don't really know what the policy is. I know many have booked vituouso or FHR and used free night certs (I have myself elsewhere), but maybe she was accurately stating the policy. Maybe I could have sought reconsideration or contacted Amex. Frankly, I don't care. The entire tone of the e-mail was so off putting, after reflecting on it I booked at the Waterfront, which was a pleasure to work with. Such is the relative pisition of these two properties at the moment, I guess that PacRim doesn't really need to be accommodating -- especially in high season. I also cancelled a suite we had booked on cash for three nights, and it gives me a mild sense of satisfaction that they are still selling suites and have dropped the price! Though I am sure they will be booked eventually.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked at Pacific Rim ,May 28th-31st. A 3 night stay. Was able to secure a room upgrade, waitlist for a suite upgrade.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lkar
Yeah, they really wouldn't even entertain the notion of paying a cash supplement to upgrade. I also had a pretty unsatisfactory e-mail exchange with them. I was basicallly trying in early February to see whether room or a suite upgrades might be available for a visit in July, before my certs were deposited in my account in early March. I was told no, until the certs were deposited, which was fine and what I expected, but the rest of the e-mail was a bit problematic. Not really worth going into it all, but they sort of went out of their way to tell me I could not upgrade a free cert night anyway, because my reservation was booked through AMEX FHR and they would not honor a free night cert on a booking through Amex.

I had booked several nights in a Fairmont room through FHR and was planning to get two nights free using a third night free cert for night three and a free night annual visa cert night for night four (or five) and to try to then upgrade with a jr. suite or one category room upgrade cert. I was prepared to not have FHR benefits on the free night, but was a bit surprised at the assertion I could not use the free night certs at all, unless I booked through the hotel (paying a higher rate and losing FHR benefits). I don't really know what the policy is. I know many have booked vituouso or FHR and used free night certs (I have myself elsewhere), but maybe she was accurately stating the policy. Maybe I could have sought reconsideration or contacted Amex. Frankly, I don't care. The entire tone of the e-mail was so off putting, after reflecting on it I booked at the Waterfront, which was a pleasure to work with. Such is the relative pisition of these two properties at the moment, I guess that PacRim doesn't really need to be accommodating -- especially in high season. I also cancelled a suite we had booked on cash for three nights, and it gives me a mild sense of satisfaction that they are still selling suites and have dropped the price! Though I am sure they will be booked eventually.
(emphasis mine)

Technically, free night certs only cover accommodation, therefore the hotel has the right to not offer any benefits (such as breakfast) on the night you're using the free night cert. While many Fairmont hotels will extend those benefits when applying a free night cert (assuming it's not a one-night stay), they're not obliged to do so.

While most Fairmont hotels seem to be fairly accommodating IME, the Pacific Rim's policies and way of handling Virtuoso/FHR bookings seems to have changed quite a bit during the last year.

Previously, I'd often book a 4-5 night stay via Virtuoso etc., apply a free night cert and the hotel always offered free breakfast on all night. During my last stay the hotel sent me an e-mail in advance making it clear that no benefits would apply during that night.

It's still one of my favourite Fairmont hotels, but when it comes to internal policies / policies related to FPC benefits the hotel definitely has become less generous over the years.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
(emphasis mine)

Technically, free night certs only cover accommodation, therefore the hotel has the right to not offer any benefits (such as breakfast) on the night you're using the free night cert. While many Fairmont hotels will extend those benefits when applying a free night cert (assuming it's not a one-night stay), they're not obliged to do so.

While most Fairmont hotels seem to be fairly accommodating IME, the Pacific Rim's policies and way of handling Virtuoso/FHR bookings seems to have changed quite a bit during the last year.

Previously, I'd often book a 4-5 night stay via Virtuoso etc., apply a free night cert and the hotel always offered free breakfast on all night. During my last stay the hotel sent me an e-mail in advance making it clear that no benefits would apply during that night.

It's still one of my favourite Fairmont hotels, but when it comes to internal policies / policies related to FPC benefits the hotel definitely has become less generous over the years.
Hi Jasper -- yeah, I've run into the issue before about not honoring FHR benefits on the free night portion of the stay, and as I said, I'm fine with that. In fact, it's been my experience that's the case.

What I found troubling in this case was FPC's claim to me that they would not honor the free night certificate at all to a reservation booked through FHR. I booked a five night stay through FHR, then contacted the FPC to see about applying a third-night free and a free night visa cert to cover 3 of the 5 nights, and was told I could not do so. I was fully prepared to have them say no breakfast. And perhaps even to say they wouldn't honor the free upgrade if some of the nights were on free certs and so keep me in a fairmont room the whole time. I definitely was not prepared for them to tell me that I could not use the free night certs at all on an FHR booking.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkar
Hi Jasper -- yeah, I've run into the issue before about not honoring FHR benefits on the free night portion of the stay, and as I said, I'm fine with that. In fact, it's been my experience that's the case.

What I found troubling in this case was FPC's claim to me that they would not honor the free night certificate at all to a reservation booked through FHR. I booked a five night stay through FHR, then contacted the FPC to see about applying a third-night free and a free night visa cert to cover 3 of the 5 nights, and was told I could not do so. I was fully prepared to have them say no breakfast. And perhaps even to say they wouldn't honor the free upgrade if some of the nights were on free certs and so keep me in a fairmont room the whole time. I definitely was not prepared for them to tell me that I could not use the free night certs at all on an FHR booking.
That just sounds stupid and I honestly have no idea why an agent would say that. FHR rates are fully refundable 99% of the time (occasionally with a x days notice requirement), so the agent could have just shortened your stay and made a separate booking using the free night certs and then link the two res, having the exact same result while making things more complicate. So refusing to apply any certs makes no sense whatsoever (leaving aside the above discussion about benefits on free nights).

Assuming there are no details missing, I'd say this is a clear case of "hang up and call again".
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
That just sounds stupid and I honestly have no idea why an agent would say that. FHR rates are fully refundable 99% of the time (occasionally with a x days notice requirement), so the agent could have just shortened your stay and made a separate booking using the free night certs and then link the two res, having the exact same result while making things more complicate. So refusing to apply any certs makes no sense whatsoever (leaving aside the above discussion about benefits on free nights).

Assuming there are no details missing, I'd say this is a clear case of "hang up and call again".
I figured if I pushed it, I would get a different answer eventually. But this was from the hotel itself, not FPC, as part of a longer e-mail where I was hoping we could perhaps upgrade using cash. The essence of the entire e-mail was "no, no, no, no, no." Anyway, here is the relevant part: "Thank you for your email and inquiry. Unfortunately, I am unable to apply your complimentary night certificates to your existing reservations [numbers omitted] as they were booked through Fine Hotels Rate."
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
This is not related to discussion above but I just wanted to say that we spent a night at this property in Summer and my wife keeps reminding me from time to time that she wants to go back to this property.. what an awesome place.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I liked this property as well. Had a bad interaction with the valet person though which left a bad taste. I can see why people prefer this property over the Waterfront.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As much as I like this hotel, the rates have become more and more unaffordable.

I realize July is peak season, but the following rates for a Fairmont room just amaze me:

$549++ on most dates
$729++ on July 3-5

$800/night for a standard Fairmont room - just wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.