FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Sofitel Shanghai Hyland [leaving Accor soon] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1021337-sofitel-shanghai-hyland-leaving-accor-soon.html)

asj.alt Nov 27, 2009 2:42 pm

Sofitel Shanghai Hyland [leaving Accor soon]

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of research of a decent hotel to stay in Shanghai next March, and Sofitel Shanghai Hyland is high on the list of consideration.

Has anyone stayed there before? Any review or photos?

Thanks.

moondog Nov 28, 2009 1:32 am

Originally Posted by asj.alt (Post 12888274)
Hi,

I've been doing a lot of research of a decent hotel to stay in Shanghai next March, and Sofitel Shanghai Hyland is high on the list of consideration.

Has anyone stayed there before? Any review or photos?

Thanks.

Like I (indirectly) advised you in your other thread about about SH hotels, you should refrain from creating new threads on the same topic

But, since you asked, that's not a very good hotel IMO (stayed there in 95 and that was its peak year).

What's more, I can't imagine why you'd focus on NJ Rd, E. Sure, it's better than the Bund or Lujiazui, but not a convenient area.

mosburger Nov 30, 2009 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 12889937)
Like I (indirectly) advised you in your other thread about about SH hotels, you should refrain from creating new threads on the same topic

But, since you asked, that's not a very good hotel IMO (stayed there in 95 and that was its peak year).

What's more, I can't imagine why you'd focus on NJ Rd, E. Sure, it's better than the Bund or Lujiazui, but not a convenient area.

You might be referring to something related to the rooms? Although I have not found anything negative with those either, but maybe just got lucky.

As for bars and restaurants, I personally would rate the Sofitel top in Shanghai. The food is solid French, not too trendy, and the club level breakfast high above Puxi excellent. And I really like the lobby bar and their cheese plate. :)

moondog Dec 1, 2009 11:30 am

Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 12903771)
You might be referring to something related to the rooms? Although I have not found anything negative with those either, but maybe just got lucky.

As for bars and restaurants, I personally would rate the Sofitel top in Shanghai. The food is solid French, not too trendy, and the club level breakfast high above Puxi excellent. And I really like the lobby bar and their cheese plate. :)

The rooms aren't too bad; similar to Hilton/Portman because all 3 hotels were launched during the same era. Also, to be fair, I haven't eaten there during the past 5 years (maybe 10); a few bad breakfasts were sufficient to keep me at bay.

I suppose my main point is:
-SH's hotel market has exploded during the past 20 years
-would much rather stay in a newer or better located property

That having been said, I will admit that my intel on the Sofitel Hyland could be stale by now.

steve-o Dec 1, 2009 8:26 pm

Sofitel Hyland Shanghai

Stayed at this hotel about 2 years ago with the Mrs.; decent, but smallish sized bed room when compared to other 4-Star hotels I stayed at in China, but not bad. Furniture was decent. I was told that the club rooms (not sure of upgrade cost) were much nicer by those who decided to upgrade (bargain with the front desk though). Breakfast served just off the lobby was very good. Even eat dinner in the lobby restaurant one night, and it was pretty good. Overall, not a bad place if one could avoid the touts selling fake watches outside the hotel on Nanjing Rd.

Walked past the hotel several months ago, place still looks quite decent from the outside (at least). Stayed at a private home on last visit.

SAS

SkyTeam777 Aug 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Any updates on this property recently?

West Coast Ace Sep 9, 2012 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 19182539)
Any updates on this property recently?

I stayed there in 2010. Most rooms had been refurbed by then (see website for pictures). Staff is very competent and speak decent English. The huge negative is, as Moondog mentioned, it's on E Nanjing Rd - (if you are Caucasian) you will be accosted by people trying to sell you crap, beggars, etc, the second you walk out the door. Gets old.

I now stay at the Regal East Asia Hotel in the French Concession. 5 stars at a decent rate (I use Agoda.com). The fact that they have a ton of tennis courts helps too! But it's a great area - but still metro-friendly - a few blocks from the Hengshan Rd stop on line 1. And close to some nightlife and late night eating.

iahphx Dec 18, 2012 10:27 am

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 19284814)
I stayed there in 2010. Most rooms had been refurbed by then (see website for pictures). Staff is very competent and speak decent English. The huge negative is, as Moondog mentioned, it's on E Nanjing Rd - (if you are Caucasian) you will be accosted by people trying to sell you crap, beggars, etc, the second you walk out the door. Gets old.

I now stay at the Regal East Asia Hotel in the French Concession. 5 stars at a decent rate (I use Agoda.com). The fact that they have a ton of tennis courts helps too! But it's a great area - but still metro-friendly - a few blocks from the Hengshan Rd stop on line 1. And close to some nightlife and late night eating.

I've booked a cheap rate at this hotel primarily FOR it's location (I'm on a quick visit to Shanghai and need to do some shopping). I've got a "classic" room. One review in the Accor "experience" thread says those rooms are dumps and you want a Club room. The standard upgrade from Classic for Platinums is Junior Suite. Apparently this is a larger dump. Has anyone negotiated an upgrade to Club -- perhaps by paying a little extra (and maybe using an Accor voucher to pay)? Thanks.

RJ77 Dec 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 19879817)
One review in the Accor "experience" thread says those rooms are dumps and you want a Club room. The standard upgrade from Classic for Platinums is Junior Suite. Apparently this is a larger dump.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it :D

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 19879817)
Has anyone negotiated an upgrade to Club -- perhaps by paying a little extra (and maybe using an Accor voucher to pay)? Thanks.

Why don't you just book the club room, double the price of the classic room as it is, it's still around US$150+. On a prime location, that's a steal. Or ditch the booking and stay at other much better hotels along the Bund. And I generally prefer Sofitel to other hotels of similar standards so that's saying a lot about the state of this hotel.

moondog Dec 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by RJ77 (Post 19936220)
Sounds familiar, doesn't it :D

Why don't you just book the club room, double the price of the classic room as it is, it's still around US$150+. On a prime location, that's a steal. Or ditch the booking and stay at other much better hotels along the Bund. And I generally prefer Sofitel to other hotels of similar standards so that's saying a lot about the state of this hotel.

Not only are Bund hotels expensive, but everything else in the area is as well (e.g. y75 Coronas at Rouge). But, I too think that iahphx might be able to do a bit better than the Sofitel without breaking bank (I would just advise him to stay away from the Bund).

Chinatrvl Dec 29, 2012 5:37 am

Radisson Blu New World is 80 USD with CARLSONF when available, usually for spacious (but nothing special) deluxe rooms.

mosburger Dec 31, 2012 10:47 am

The lobby bar and restaurants are still first rate....

moondog Dec 31, 2012 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 19948777)
The lobby bar and restaurants are still first rate....

At the Soft Hotel? Although I haven't been there in a long time, I recall being disgusted by their pathetic excuse for a brunch.

I'm liking that Radisson price, though.

mosburger Jan 2, 2013 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 19950978)
At the Soft Hotel? Although I haven't been there in a long time, I recall being disgusted by their pathetic excuse for a brunch.

I'm liking that Radisson price, though.

Club level breakfast, dinner buffet at the main restaurant and the cheese plate accompanied by wine at the lobby bar. Stick to those, lao moondog. ;)

Also sorry for forgetting about the Linkedin thing. Will check that once back to the Middle Kingdom. Happy New Year!

lingua101 Jan 2, 2013 5:37 pm

Was dropped by that hotel last night and had a chat with the front office staff.

He told me they will start refurbishing the classic room this year (April??) as many guests complain that the room doest not look like the picture.

If you Gold and above they will upgrade you (at least that what he told me when I saw my Gold card)