Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Ibis Hong Kong North Point

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Hotel Ibis Hong Kong North Point

Couldn't seem to find any reviews here on FT to the Hotel Ibis Hong Kong North Point. Trip Advisor seems to have pretty good reviews to the hotel. Any info on this hotel from the Accor veterans on this forum..??

Seems to be a very affordable option and with a good location as well, in a city where hotel rates seem to be pretty expensive...!!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: QF WP
It's basically located just down from the markets in a suburban area (if there's such a thing as a suburb in HKG). It's pretty far away (in HKG terms) from tourists attractions as well. However, the real Hong Kong is at your doorsteps, and it's right by the MTR.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Would be a quick weekend sorta trip to HKG and also my maiden visit to the city. What would typically qualify as HKG's tourist attractions...??
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Don't forget the newly opened Ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan. Its a bit closer to the main commercial district, but about 10 minutes walk away from the nearest MTR station. Buses and trams run right past the hotel though.

I thought the rooms were slightly better than those at the Ibis in North Point, although a little more expensive.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by quarryking
Would be a quick weekend sorta trip to HKG and also my maiden visit to the city. What would typically qualify as HKG's tourist attractions...??
Taking the old wooden funiculaire up to Victoria Peak is a must and maybe a trip on a Star Ferry across Victoria Harbour and of course OD on dimsum ^
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Cupart
Taking the old wooden funiculaire up to Victoria Peak is a must and maybe a trip on a Star Ferry across Victoria Harbour and of course OD on dimsum ^
I completely agree with the suggestions of my friend Cupart. If you have time, I would add a trip to Macau old town.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: LH Sen
Been there many times, it is a good place if you need a place to stay for the night and you are out all day.

Position is a bit out from the very centre but just on top of the subway, so few minutes from everywhere (if you need to reach the airport you can do it in less than 45 mins subway+express train).

Is cheap compared to average HK standards but the rooms are small like HK standards (you will not be able to open a large luggage out of the bed in some rooms).

Can't make a review on the restaurant since i've never used it.

Just be carefull if you will be in hurry that to get out via lift from your floor can take minutes.
It seems unbelievable but the lift stops at almost every floor going up and going down (there is always someone to get in or out). mAybe this happends more during rush hours.

Next week I will try the new Ibis for one night.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sbazz75
(if you need to reach the airport you can do it in less than 45 mins subway+express train).
If you don't mind a slightly longer journey, you can also take the CityFlyer route A11 from the bus terminal just across the road from the Ibis.

It goes direct to the airport and saves you having to drag your bags through that subway connecting link that runs between Central MTR and the Airport Express station.

It costs HK$40 compared to HK$106 for the MTR/train.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 4:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
If you have time, I would add a trip to Macau old town.
Like going back in time to old Lisbon... Macau also seems a bit less stressful than HK so a nice break away from the big city ^
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: Platinum : Amex | Gold : EK Bonvoy Carlson Hilton
Originally Posted by Sbazz75

Next week I will try the new Ibis for one night.

So how was your stay at the new Ibis Sheung Wan ?

I'll be there in January.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I live in HK and just went there for a meal. Modern building, reasonable location - about 10 mins walk to Sheung Wan MTR station.

First impressions not good regarding service and food. Upon arrival, I asked the lady in reception which floor the restaurant was on. She thought I said 'restroom'. Then, I had to resort to Cantonese as she couldn't say it in English.

The restaurant was empty. Club sandwich was reasonable but they cooked chicken wings from frozen and were a very dark colour with congealed blood when they claimed on the menu that they were 'homemade'. So, be careful what you order and don't expect brilliant English-speaking staff. Other than that it's probably a nice clean and modern place to stay in a fairly central location.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Bumping this thread ----

Any new updates with this property? I see that they have been renovated, so that's always good.

Do they give free breakfasts to Platinum guests?

I don't remember - but does the free transfer bus for the airport express come here? Or is it best to take a direct hotel bus from the airport or if there are 3 people, just to cab it?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Bumping this thread ----

Any new updates with this property? I see that they have been renovated, so that's always good.

Do they give free breakfasts to Platinum guests?

I don't remember - but does the free transfer bus for the airport express come here? Or is it best to take a direct hotel bus from the airport or if there are 3 people, just to cab it?
I didn't get a free breakfast as a Platinum member, and I didn't get a room upgrade either. In fact I didn't even get the correct additional loyalty points. They just gave me the points that a Silver member would earn.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
The free transfer bus doesn't go to North Point. However, transfers to the normal MTR lines when travelling with an Octopus card is free. You can also catch bus A12 from the airport - it's an express to the eastern areas of Hong Kong Island, and the stops are very close by to the hotel.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
I stayed in 2013.
Re: transfer from airport - there is a public bus from the airport that stops at the bus depot a block from the hotel. The bus cost less than a train but is slower. You can catch a train too to Northpoint MTR and walk to the hotel from there. I forgot what the bus number is but there is a tourism bureau at the airport, ask them.

I chose the hotel as it's a 10-minute train ride from the CBD, yet the hotel is half the price.
It seemed new/newly renovated.
I stopped by the Novotel at Central when I was in the CBD - I just wanted to see what it was like as I'd considered staying there instead for the location. It seemed so much more crowded and had more wear-and-tear.

Pluses:
Bedding changed daily (I think - they seemed fresh when I came home everyday).
If you want any amenities eg extra coffee, these will be delivered to your room. You don't have to go to reception to get it yourself.
NB: You don't get these kinds of services at a 3-star hotel in most developed countries.

Lots of PRC group tours but it seems less than in 5-star hotels.

The beds are HARD. So hard my legs ached when I woke up.
I'm not the only one who thinks so - have a browse of trip advisor.
Won't stop me from going back.

You get what you pay for. It's an Ibis. No frills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.