Fairmont Beijing

Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: BA BD SA
The full trip report

I wrote up my trip report as promised but it turned out very long and verbose. I intended to edit it down but haven't gotten around to it so here, with apologies, is the full length version.

Arrival
I elected to take the hotel transfer from PEK as we were 3 people with luggage and I felt like starting the stay in style. This included meet & greet at the arrival gate (rather superfluous for a domestic flight) by a friendly and efficient young lady. She led us through baggage retrieval and over the road to the garage where she handed us over to our driver and his (clean, but very ordinary at the price) van. He barely acknowledged our presence, certainly no greeting, and half-heartedly assisted with the luggage before driving us so the hotel. Definitely not worth the money and we used taxis on the way back.

At the hotel bellmen were at the ready to greet us and whisk away our luggage and a contingent of reception staff introduced themselves and 2 charming young ladies led us up to our rooms confirming on the way that we were in a 1 BR suite with connecting king room. Check-in formalities were completed in-suite with a minimum of fuss. (One interesting oddity: our friend occupying the 2nd room was given a Fairmont PC application form to sign they filled in the rest from her check-in details. Perhaps this was to ensure she got the benefits like free internet access? If so, very thoughtful.) Then we were given the tour of the rooms and their features.

Rooms
Wow! The rooms are truly amazing. The 1BR suite has a very spacious living room with guest loo. Then behind double sliding doors, a good sized bedroom (with chaise longue at the window), a huge bathroom, separate vanity area and a capacious walk-in closet/luggage room. The King room has just the bedroom and bathroom and felt smaller than its advertised size of 45sq.m. (perhaps because the bathroom takes up much of the area?) and didnt have a convenient luggage storage space. In our case it was the perfect adjunct to the very spacious suite for accommodating a 3rd person.

Dcor is tasteful (i.e. accords with my taste!) with subtle but satisfying oriental touches and a judicious mix of colours, textures and patterns that succeed in harmonising into a warm and luxurious ambience. The web site pictures give a pretty accurate idea of the dcor but in my memory the feel was a little more upbeat than shown. I found the art works interesting yet not obtrusive.

Fittings are of the highest calibre and, of course, brand new. Lighting is well considered and there are convenient switches for full lights or relax (subdued lighting) setting in all areas. There is a bedside console for controlling the lights and the electric curtains. Huge, flat screen TVs in the living room and bedrooms and a smaller one above the bath. There is a Bose music system (I didnt use it) and plenty of phones around.

All toilets are of the Japanese washlet variety and the one in the main bathroom is particularly grand to the extent of automatically opening the lid when you enter and then closing it when leave! Showers are huge and have a built in shelf/seat. There is a lovely big bath (with head pillow) and double vanities with lots of space for your unguents and potions. Bathroom toiletries are by Miller Harris and of the 1888 variety. (Cant say they excited me.)

The bed was very comfortable with decent light for reading and the linens were of excellent quality. Furniture was also comfortable and practical and mainly of conservative design but enlivened by touches like the brighter silk cushions and curtains. I really loved the coffee table. There are tea making facilities and a Nespresso machine. Mini bar seemed adequate if not exactly inspired.

All in all the rooms are terrific. Are they perfect? Well, I had some, rather minor, quibbles:
The bathroom TV hangs over the bath but is not viewable when soaking because the angle has not been adjusted downward and the picture is hopeless when viewing the screen obliquely.
The brand new gold basin taps have been scoured by some overzealous housekeeper and are now (irremediably?) scratched.
Our friend in the king room was woken one night by her neighbours loud TV. Not sure if this is a symptom of a noise insulation problem or if the neighbour was just being egregiously loud.
The lighting control panel next to the bed is so bright that at night I had to cover it with a cloth to prevent it from keeping me awake.

Perhaps it has a setting I never found. This is true for a lot of the electronics: if youre only going to be in a room for a few days you dont want to have to spend half a day working out how to get the telephone off speakerphone mode, or how to control one light individually or how to work the second type of phone when youve barely mastered the first. I also had a problem connecting to the internet because the instructions were not accurate. Phone assistance did not help and I had to get someone in before it was resolved.

Gold lounge
The lounge itself is a lovely space with a very high ceiling for the most part and a smaller, cosier library leg and TV nook. Although it occupies a lofty spot on the 20th floor (above the bridge that connects the hotel with its sister building over the road) the view is not a feature since it is largely obstructed by huge X-shaped structural supports. So sheer honey-coloured curtains are used to soften the effect. That does not prevent it getting good light and it is particularly attractive in the afternoons with filtered sunlight filling the room. The furniture is lovely with very attractive chairs and sofas around coffee tables and also restaurant-style tables and chairs. Once again the dcor scheme has been very successfully executed and the result is a very pleasing space for the most part. My one reservation is that the layout seems a bit unwelcoming: the entrance is awkwardly circuitous and narrow and on first entering you are thrust into an unwelcoming, largely unfurnished space. (Did they skimp on the feng shui advice?) There are 2 computers in individual glass alcoves for guest use. (Loved the use of the glass with silk laminated into it to separate the cubicles.)

We spent a fair amount of time here over 5 days and experienced all their offerings (breakfast, tea, cocktails and desserts) at least once. Breakfasts were very good with plenty on the buffet including Chinese and western fare and eggs to order. The other offerings were adequate but not wildly inspired and were pretty much identical from day to day. Buffet presentation is very elegant. Cocktails included premium spirits and very acceptable (Australian) wines. Generally it was very quiet when we were there and I can understand that it is a challenge to offer a great deal of variety for only a handful of guests and they must have a great deal of wastage. But I still didnt feel this was quite up to the standards of the rest of the hotel. (By contrast on the same trip I used the Club lounge at the IC Hong Kong and their F&B offerings were far superior.)

Service was disappointingly inconsistent and veered from highly personable and efficient (bouquets for Barbara) to tentative and inept. Most staff made every effort to address us by our names at all times. Much as that is appreciated it is more important that they not have lapses that would embarrass a waiter in the lowliest restaurant. Some staff were on top of their game and even proactive (cream requested today led to cream offered tomorrow). Others were barely coping: forgetting parts of orders, leaving them to get cold in the kitchen, never heard of poached eggs (others even knew to ask how you wanted them and the kitchen always did them perfectly). There was also inconsistency in what was produced: a latte macchiato from one server was totally different from another. Sometimes wine bottles were allowed to stand empty and only replenished on request.

One quite avoidable annoyance was staff clattering around the quiet lounge's hardwood floors on noisy high heels, thoughtlessly and needlessly destroying the wonderfully calm ambience. So despite great willingness there was too often an inability to see the world from the guests point of view and then translate this into top notch service.

Public areas
The lobby is large and imposing with floors and walls clad in warm, caramel-coloured marble. The very high ceiling is dominated by a gigantic sculpture that consists of a school of glass fish the colour of burnt sugar coiled into a swirling dragon-like shape. More glass, this time multiple coloured spheres, decorates a vast screen behind the concierge desk. And visible on high on either side are the numerous glass lantern shapes that decorate the ceilings of the upstairs bar and private dining room. The lobby is not a place to linger, however: the concierge and reception desks face each other austerely across a vast expanse of warm brown marble floor. This is furnished only with two areas of carpet each hosting two pairs of formal armchairs that feel uncomfortably exposed.

Also on this level is the lobby caf which succeeds in having an entirely different personality despite being separated only by a few steps and an open wooden lattice screen. This space is friendly and welcoming and has as a centre piece a huge, whimsical white ceramic teapot completely covered in large ceramic flower rosettes.

On the mezzanine level are the Champagne Bar and the private dining room whose glass ceiling adornments can be glimpsed from below. These comprise numerous, tasselled, pale amber-coloured, blown glass lantern shapes and form the most striking feature of both rooms - which regard each other across the airy expanse of the lobby below and through the fish/dragon sculpture. As well as decorating the rooms they exquisitely soften and enhance the lighting. The dining room has a majestic table that seats 24 and is magnificently appointed in an impressive, rather masculine, style.

Between the two is The CUT restaurant. I only saw it empty but found it breathtaking. Quite why I find surprisingly hard to explain - I can only talk in abstracts about the elegance of the space and all its fittings and furnishings; about a sense of proportion and a sleek modernity that effortlessly embraces luxury. The space is both cool and warm and exudes a sophistication that makes you feel it will take time to appreciate the depth of its beauty. If the food is half as good as the restaurant itself it will be great. Unfortunately I didnt ever see Lunar 8 so cant comment on that restaurant.

The spa occupies 3 floors (with their own lift) above the Gold lounge. Behind the deceptively plain, though quietly posh (it also has silk laminated in the glass), door is a serene and gorgeous space incorporating a spacious gym with the latest equipment, a yoga studio, a large heated swimming pool, treatment rooms, sauna and no doubt several things I didnt see. It is beautifully appointed with an especially grand passageway leading to the pool. They use products by Aromatherapy Associates and another which I cannot remember.

Food and beverage
Unfortunately apart from the Gold lounge offerings the only food I ate was a room service sandwich. It was a very good sandwich and the service was prompt and the warming trolley and linen and cutlery all exemplary. My partner was less thrilled with a very bland rice dish that had no condiments to perk it up.

Service (apart from the Gold lounge)
Whenever I called the service number I received prompt and appropriate help. When the person was unable to assist, someone was immediately despatched to attend to my problems. At all times I felt that a call would produce the desired result. Bell staff was always on duty and ready to help with luggage or securing a taxi.

We consulted the concierge occasionally and if perhaps they sometimes lacked warmth we were always helped efficiently and got good advice. In particular I am indebted for the recommendation of Room Beijing where we had two satisfying meals (it was so good we went back) in a restaurant that is at least ten times cooler than we are but still very welcoming and pays as much attention to its food as its decor.

There were minor lapses. Laundry was done as it should be and then returned to the wrong room. I was on the verge of phoning about it when my friend came through having found it in her closet. Problems connecting to the internet resulted a chap arriving very promptly - in overalls and carrying one of those window glass holders with the suckers. Talk about a jack of all trades! In the event he was not master of the internet and after a few attempts summoned a dapper young man in a sharp suit who could speak both English and IT.

We found the location very convenient for tourism. It is five minutes walk from the Yong An Li subway station on the number 1 line. This gives very easy access to the Forbidden City, Wangfujing, etc. Although tucked down a small street, taxis were always available to be summoned by the bell staff. There were a number of eating options nearby and even a sizeable convenience/grocery store in one of the huge LG Twin towers a few blocks away which also has a food court. (To get to the LG towers it was an experience to walk through some old, dilapidated lane housing to reach these ultra modern skyscrapers.) If you have the stomach for it the frenetic, hard-sell Silk Market is just across the main road.

Verdict
This is undoubtedly an exceptionally fine hotel. (My criticisms must be taken in the context of applying the demanding standards of top luxury hotels.) My stay was one of the highlights of my China trip and I wish I had more time to make use of the restaurants and spa. Undoubtedly it was the dcor that impressed me most. While very little is flashy or ostentatious the attention to detail and harmonisation of the concepts into sophisticatedly pleasing spaces is everywhere evident. The mood is modern yet decidedly refined. Service, despite the hiccups, is very good and could be great given time and strong management.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Great report! Thx!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:31 pm

Couldn't have asked for more - thanks for the recent experience! Does anyone know if there are any 'deals' or 'packages' available in the July/Aug timeframe? Does the hotel still monitor this thread?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:10 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I see that this hotel is available on Great Rates again from CNY1250 for dates from 5 Jan to 28 Feb. (I think this is its first appearance in quite a while.)
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I've seen it available NFAF consistently.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:02 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Is it possible / feasible to take the Metro from PEK to the Beijing ?fairmont

I will have no luggage, just a satchel.

Last edited by AMRivlin; Jan 14, 2011 at 12:29 am
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Is it possible / feasible to take the Metro from PEK to the Beijing Metro?

I will have no luggage, just a satchel.
Yes, but if you value your sanity, you might want to grab a taxi at Dongzhimen instead of transferring to the loop line (2).
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:28 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

The Loop line was not so bad at 930pm, Line 1 (East West) was incredibly over crowded however.

I would NOT attempt to take Luggage beyond the airport express line.

It cost me 54 RMB round trip + 60 RMB Luggage Storage @ PEK to take the train.

I will be posting a full review shortly. My stay was exceptional and given the choice between the workout centre and sightseeing in Beijing, I chose the hotel. (I have toured Beijing previously, and have little desire to make the rounds again).

I have seen Fairmont Beijing NFAF 930-1140 RMB incl 15% VAT ($140-$170)

I do have a gripe about the checkout process, where they "helped me by charging me at a terrible rate in USD" I prefer to use my VISA conversion as I have a non foreign transaction card. I lost $7 in their sneaky Bank of China procedure.

Having stayed at Newport Beach, Chicago, Royal York, Singapore,

Beijing and Pacific Rim stand above the rest, perhaps it was the fresh paint, but I found the service at Beijing as well as Pacific Rim to be above and beyond my expectations.

Last edited by AMRivlin; Jan 20, 2011 at 3:22 am
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Thanks to all these great reports, I am going to also try the Fairmont Beijing in September... currently have a Fairmont Gold suite booked.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Just returned from 6 nights at the Fairmont Beijing. Cheetah's review is pretty much spot on. I enjoyed this hotel immensely. Great central location, off the busy main road, yet close enough to the subway to get wherever you want without having to hail a cab. The State Dept. deemed one of the days I was there as 'Hazardous' (air quality) so I took the opportunity to stay in and use the spa. Definitely one of the best massages I've ever had, at a decent price. Nice exercise room, steam room, and pool with jacuzzi as well. The only meal I had at the hotel was breakfast each day, which was decent enough - though there wasnt much variety day to day so after the first few days, it got old. Luckily the price was included in my rate so I didnt have to pay what would have amounted to $40 each morning (yikes!) I am a pretty self sufficient traveler so didnt use the concierge services but for one time to ask for a map. The room was spacious and tastefully decorated and the bathroom was to die for with a large soak tub (with TV in front of it) and separate very spacious shower. I did not have access to the Gold level / lounge so cannot comment on that. Overall this hotel is an oasis in a manic, bustling city of over 20 million. I'm glad I had a nice, comfortable place to come home to each night. Would definitely return!
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: FB Plat, BA Gold, Asiana *Gold
Fairmont Beijing closed till January 4th

I just came back from Beijing. I was supposed to stay for 2 days in the Fairmont, but two days in advance I got an email stating that due to (very) heavy construction work in an adjacent building site they closed down the hotel. It would give to much distraction/noise and so on. They re-booked me to the Raffles in Beijing, for the same price (I had a NFAF rate). I was slightly disappointed, had really looked forward to staying at the Fairmont. Just came from Shanghai where I also stayed at the Fairmont. That is one of the better Fairmonts around I would say with beautiful rooms and very personal service. A true oasis in this immense city.

The Raffles was OK but not quit up to Fairmont standard. However a very quit room which was really nice. In the Raffles I heard the Fairmont didn't foresee the shutdown. After debating whether the close down partly they decided to close completely in the interest of the guests.

The evening I left I found an envelope on the cushion of the bed with an apology letter as well a voucher for a free night for two with breakfast with a validity of a year. I thought this was a nice gesture.

The stay should count for the FPC.

The Fairmont Beijing should reopen on the 4th of January.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Kudos to Fairmont for handling the situation this well! ^

Funny you say the Raffles wasnt up to Fairmont standards, I havent stayed at either hotel, but the general brand/marketing strategy is that Raffles is supposed to be better/more luxurious than Fairmont.

And yes, as an FPC Plat member stays at Raffles hotels count towards status.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'm surprised by the same statement as well.. Raffles is positioned higher than Fairmont..

Guillaume.. Did you stay at the Fairmont Beijing before?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:34 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Jasper2009

Funny you say the Raffles wasnt up to Fairmont standards, I havent stayed at either hotel, but the general brand/marketing strategy is that Raffles is supposed to be better/more luxurious than Fairmont.
I still haven't tried out the Fairmont Beijing. In my one-night one-stay experience at the Raffles Beijing, they were really not up to par. I was comparing the Raffles Beijing with the Raffles Singapore.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: meh
Sitting in the Fairmont Beijing right now. It's a pretty nice hotel. Getting to it from the airport is easy. Grab the Airport Express to the last station, take Line 2 to the Jianguomen Station and take Line 1 to the Yonganli Station. Leave the station using door C. Turn right at the top of the stairs and walk down the street until you see the Fairmont on your left. It can be hard to see the signage until you're immediately across from the hotel. Trust me....I had to go back to the station and start over once this afternoon.

When I was checking in, the Assistant Guest Services Manager was called to come and greet me to the hotel. She also escorted me to my room before leaving me to relax. Today's the first time that I've traveled on my b-day. The checkin agent and the Assistant GS manager both greeted me with "Welcome to the Fairmont Beijing and Happy Birthday". Another GS rep and one of the doormen went to great lengths to assist me getting a SIM card from the small store across the street and dealing with China Mobile.

I used my BOGO and suite upgrade on this stay. The upgrade room is huge. Literally 2x the size of my apartment back home. Massive living area with it's own washroom, large bedroom and a full walk-in closet. The main bathroom is very large and has a tub to ceiling glass wall looking into the bedroom.

So far, I'm very impressed. Much nicer than the Fairmont Winnipeg....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.