Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
No, I travel >90% for leisure.

Iīm sure my travel patterns will change once I settle down, but as of now I enjoy flying across the pond for a long weekend with some friends and spend a couple of days in a new city. I usually donīt stay at any place longer than 3-4 days (due to a busy schedule).

My trip downunder is the only exception and only works due to the Christmas/NYE. (though Iīm sure most people think Iīm insane spending 100h in the air in <4 weeks, which is more than a pilot doing longhauls usually is allowed to do, but burning miles on intīl F class makes the flights somewhat bearable )
Wow! For leisure.. that is incredible considering that you're doing the travelling on your own whim.. I'd be squirming in the airplane seat to do that much travelling.. it would be more like an unwanted itch I'd want to get rid of. So what's your criteria for choosing destinations.. I imagine you're still quite young?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Wow! For leisure.. that is incredible considering that you're doing the travelling on your own whim.. I'd be squirming in the airplane seat to do that much travelling.. it would be more like an unwanted itch I'd want to get rid of. So what's your criteria for choosing destinations.. I imagine you're still quite young?
Well, I tend to travel between Germany/UK and Western Canada a couple of times a year and have done so for many years (this year Iīm doing about 100k BIS miles). Iīll usually try to squeeze in a few weekends whenever possible (Vancouver, San Frqancisco, Victoria, Jasper, Lake Louise etc.)

Apart from that I try to add 2-3 new places per year. Criteria?

1) Is there a Fairmont hotel? (alternatively, can I use hotel points or get a reasonable rate?)
2) Can I get a cheap flight (preferably on AC so that I can upgrade to Exec. First) or redeem miles for Business/First class?
3) Will any family/friends be interested in joining me?
4) I tend to prefer non-touristy places or last least places that have something to offer outside of the resort, if possible (e.g. I havenīt been to any of the "resorts" in Mexico, but will head to Bermuda for a few days next year)
5) I tend to focus my travel on the "western world", or at least places that donīt cause too much trouble regarding health issues, visa issues etc.

Yes, Iīm still comparably young and my travel is on my own dime, so Iīm pretty price-sensitive (relatively speaking). Iīve never been too fond of travelling in the cargo hold (or Y for this matter ) or staying at the youth hostel, so instead of lowering my standards I started to become "creative" when planning my travel some time ago.

For instance my budget for my 3.5 days stay in Singapore is $400 CAD which covers the Quayside limousine service, staying in a Penthouse Suite at the Fairmont Hotel, activites and enjoying some nice food and champagne. Iīm pretty confident Iīll enjoy my stay despite my limited budget.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Nov 29, 2010 at 3:22 am
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Well, I tend to travel between Germany/UK and Western Canada a couple of times a year and have done so for many years (this year Iīm doing about 100k BIS miles). Iīll usually try to squeeze in a few weekends whenever possible (Vancouver, San Frqancisco, Victoria, Jasper, Lake Louise etc.)

Apart from that I try to add 2-3 new places per year. Criteria?

1) Is there a Fairmont hotel? (alternatively, can I use hotel points or get a reasonable rate?)
2) Can I get a cheap flight (preferably on AC so that I can upgrade to Exec. First) or redeem miles for Business/First class?
3) Will any family/friends be interested in joining me?
4) I tend to prefer non-touristy places or last least places that have something to offer outside of the resort, if possible (e.g. I havenīt been to any of the "resorts" in Mexico, but will head to Bermuda for a few days next year)
5) I tend to focus my travel on the "western world", or at least places that donīt cause too much trouble regarding health issues, visa issues etc.

Yes, Iīm still comparably young and my travel is on my own dime, so Iīm pretty price-sensitive (relatively speaking). Iīve never been too fond of travelling in the cargo hold (or Y for this matter ) or staying at the youth hostel, so instead of lowering my standards I started to become "creative" when planning my travel some time ago.

For instance my budget for my 3.5 days stay in Singapore is $400 CAD which covers the Quayside limousine service, staying in a Penthouse Suite at the Fairmont Hotel, activites and enjoying some nice food and champagne. Iīm pretty confident Iīll enjoy my stay despite my limited budget.
Cool.. I'm glad I'm not the only person out there that seeks destinations where there is a Fairmont. Value provided, if it is there, and we want to be there, we'll eventually get there. Although, things change when you have a family.. So we've been doing the Hawaii properties for 8 years now. Stable, not too complex, family friendly, nice upgrades, great weather, etc.

I don't mind spending the coin.. I prefer to stretch out the stays rather than go big or go home. Once you have a family you'll wish there was a Fairmont at or near Disney World. There's Newport Beach I guess near Disneyland.. haven't tried there yet, but may sometime down the road.

I like to know your breakdown for Singapore.. Am I right? 3 nights for $400 cdn.. seems cheap.. does this include food?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

I like to know your breakdown for Singapore.. Am I right? 3 nights for $400 cdn.. seems cheap.. does this include food?
As mentioned above, the $400 CAD for 3.5 days SIN includes the Penthouse Suite, Quayside VIP service, transportation to/from the airport, food and activities:

- FAF rate about one benjamin (CAD) per night
- Penthouse Suite at the Fairmont SIN includes breakfast, (light) dinner and all drinks, plus arriving/departing in F I wonīt be too hungry, so probably only one meal at a nice restaurant (is the Equinox worth a visit?)
- Quayside VIP and limousine service on arrival ($130 CAD, arranged through Fairmont), taxi for the ride to the airport

$440 CAD - 25% (GC promo) = $330 CAD which leaves me with about $100 SGD for activities (which doesnīt seem too unrealistic, if it turns out to be more, I donīt care too much)

Sometimes I think the hotels/airlines must hate me, but so far Iīve only received excellent treatment.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Just a brief stopover during of a odyssee of travelling:

Iīll be flying Canada - Europe - Asia - Sydney (NYE) - Cook Inseln - New Zealand - Singapore - Europe within 1 month.
Hey, I'll be in Sydney/Auckland/Cook Islands between xmas and ny too. Maybe we can do a mini-do there.

And we will be doing YYZ-SYD-AKL-RAR-AIT-RAR-PPT-MOZ-BOB-PPT-AKL-KIX/ITM-NRT-YYZ all in 2 weeks! I think we're crazier than you regarding BIS hours/vacation length. 31K miles and about 50 hours in 2 weeks.

Last edited by jarusoba; Nov 29, 2010 at 10:12 pm
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Hey, I'll be in Sydney/Auckland/Cook Islands between xmas and ny too. Maybe we can do a mini-do there.

And we will be doing YYZ-SYD-AKL-RAR-AIT-RAR-PPT-MOZ-BOB-PPT-AKL-KIX/ITM-NRT-YYZ all in 2 weeks! I think we're crazier than you regarding BIS hours/vacation length. 31K miles and about 50 hours in 2 weeks.
Sounds great!

So youīre spending your holiday on the plane with some brief stopovers in various places. (I at least pretend that flying is just a means of transportation)

Youīre even more nuts than I am, Iīll "only" be doing 42k BIS miles in 3.5 weeks. Is that an AC award ticket?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Sounds great!

So youīre spending your holiday on the plane with some brief stopovers in various places. (I at least pretend that flying is just a means of transportation)

Youīre even more nuts than I am, Iīll "only" be doing 42k BIS miles in 3.5 weeks. Is that an AC award ticket?
It's an AC reward ticket plus 2 NZ revenue tickets, 1 VT ticket, and 1 GZ ticket. And in these 2 weeks, one whole week will be spent in Japan. So essentially, we'll be doing Australia, New Zealand, Cook Islands, and French Polynesia in less than 1 week. 5 nights to be exact. This leisure trip will be busier than work.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
so probably only one meal at a nice restaurant (is the Equinox worth a visit?)
I stayed at this hotel many years ago, when it was the Swisshotel Stamford.

Anyway, I decided to do "one nice dinner" also and chose the Equinox on the top floor.

The views were great and I took some really neat pictures of the Singapore skyline with the restaurant interior reflected in the window, but...and it is a big but...

I had a terrible meal. I decided to try the duck and thought it was absolutely awful. At the time, I wasn't bold enough to say anything and just wrote it off as me not being an experience foodie, never having had duck before.

Some years later, when I thought about that experience, I realized I should have said something. I don't care what you have or haven't eaten before, how refined or unrefined your tastes are, a high end meal should NOT taste like cardboard. Period.

Anyway, I am sure that was an unusual one off and you are likely to have a great meal! Just don't get the duck!!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:11 am

Funny though, my favorite meals were in the indoor/outdoor food courts in the residential areas. My clients took me to where THEY eat.

Also a seafood FEAST somewhere along the East Coast Park area was also very memorable. But I wouldn't be able to recall the exact place, maybe a round building(?). All I can remember was that it was PACKED and the the food never stopped. It was ridiculous gluttony.

Probably a return favour for taking them to the bars when they were here in Canada...they couldn't believe how cheeeeeeeeeeep booze was here so they tried to carry a lot of it home in their stomachs.

Good memories that trip!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:22 am

Ok, now I am confused.

Swisshotel Stamford and the Fairmont Singapore are two different hotels?!?!

Why did I think one became the other in a recent name change...
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by anti_ice
Ok, now I am confused.

Swisshotel Stamford and the Fairmont Singapore are two different hotels?!?!

Why did I think one became the other in a recent name change...
Swisshotel Stamford was Westin Stamford. Fairmont was Raffles Plaza. They look very similar on the outside.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:20 pm

Swisshotel Stamford was Westin Stamford. Fairmont was Raffles Plaza. They look very similar on the outside.
And are right next to each other...

Ok I have it straight now. I definitely stayed at the Swisshotel The Stamford.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:42 pm
Suspended

You guys long lost twins?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:44 pm
Suspended

It's an AC reward ticket plus 2 NZ revenue tickets, 1 VT ticket, and 1 GZ ticket. And in these 2 weeks, one whole week will be spent in Japan. So essentially, we'll be doing Australia, New Zealand, Cook Islands, and French Polynesia in less than 1 week. 5 nights to be exact. This leisure trip will be busier than work.
Is this an FT Classic Mileage run?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by anti_ice
Also a seafood FEAST somewhere along the East Coast Park area was also very memorable. But I wouldn't be able to recall the exact place, maybe a round building(?). All I can remember was that it was PACKED and the the food never stopped. It was ridiculous gluttony.
Jumbo Seafood is my favorite place at East Coast Parkway... MMMmmm, chili crab... So freakin' good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.