Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:57 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by allbrosca
The listing on the Ovation Rewards site says they are temproarily closed for renovation https://www.ovationrewards.com/collections/b
I wonder if they are doing the North Tower, which was last done in 2014? Strange timing, cannot help but think it’s rebranding
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:22 pm

They’ve had odd issues with booking rooms for about 4 years now, seems like it’s always something. I wouldn’t be surprised with a rebrand, or another Reno, but at some point they need to sell a room to make money.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 6:48 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
We won't be going back

This was a four night stay in November 2022, with ALL Platinum status.

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Not really. We came here straight from the neighbouring Swissôtel (reviewed here) and experienced the Fairmont as a definite step down.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
We booked a “Signature King Salon Suite” and were allocated just that, on the 15th floor above the pool. Given it was a suite we didn’t expect an upgrade, but of course a higher floor or better view would have been welcome.

How are the rooms?
We didn't like the hotel's style or design choices. Dark and broody, sadly also scratched and scuffed. Our room type "salon suite" would seem to be code for "poorly conceived sub-junior suite". The total floor area of around 60m² was not used well. The bathroom (shower only, which we like) was much too large, but only had one washbasin. The shower was oversized in a way that wasn't luxurious, just silly. The only hanging space for towels and bathrobes -- in the entire bathroom -- was a pair of wall hooks. There was no shelf or space for our washbags.

Across the entry, a wardrobe and dressing room looked like a great idea -- until we realised that the only cupboard was full (iron and ironing board) and one of the two drawers contained the safe. So the only storage options for our clothes were hangers and a single small drawer. There was no additional storage in the room itself, either, apart from one tiny drawer each by the bed. Perfect for a religious text, perhaps, but not large enough for sleepwear. Our (carry on) cases needed to be stored behind the minibar.

The room itself was a good size. The large sofa and the bed were fine, as were the desk and desk chair. The coffee machine (Nespresso system) worked.

Things that didn't work so well: the washbasin was partly blocked and drained very slowly; the minibar fridge went into overdrive every couple of hours and tried to wake the dead. Various areas of the room had obviously not been properly cleaned for (at least) months: the inside of the sliding door to the bathroom, the areas beneath the bedside tables, the shelf above the clothes rails. A housekeeping supervisor should catch all of these, so presumably they don't have one.

The hotel has installed highly sophisticated systems to switch the lights on and off, just not necessarily in the combinations that you, as guest, might want. Like having a light in the dressing area without having to turn on EVERY other light in the room. Silly. Opening and closing the curtains is similarly far more complicated than it needs to be. One set of switches, next to the bed (rather than near the windows) and no option to have, say, the bed area curtains closed whilst keeping the living area curtains open.

Welcome drinks, amenities or any other special perks?
As at the Swissôtel a few days earlier, we were advised at check-in that a free drink each could be claimed in our choice of bars or restaurants using our key card. That didn't go quite as smoothly as it should, as our server (at the Brasserie) initially couldn't see a free drink associated with our room number. But she brought our drinks anyway and followed up with the front desk. Nicely done.

But once again it should be noted that the list of drinks available using the voucher is extremely limited – none of the bar's comparatively interesting beers, for example, despite the fact they're offered at half price during "happy hour". It would be nice if the hotel understood why Accor gives valued loyal guests drinks vouchers, especially when the savings associated with the current miserly approach can only be minimal.

Shortly after we checked in, a staff member came to our room with a small box containing three macarons "from the hotel". There was no card or further explanation, so we assumed this was an acknowledgement of ALL Platinum status.

At check-in we requested a late departure (for the day of our late flight home to Europe). The person checking us in insisted that 13:00 was the best she could do because the hotel was going to be full. We were able to improve this to 16:00 by talking to a different staff member a couple of days later.

Breakfast
We had (free Platinum) breakfast in "Prego" a couple of times. There were lots of (buffet) options and the food was fine, but the place was too full and the prevailing atmosphere more "bunfight" than "five star hotel".

Value for money? Would you return?
The room rate was fair for the location and date, but given the lack of ALL status benefits the overall value was't great.

We are most unlikely to return.
kevino, Goldorak and jiunsoh like this.

Last edited by IMH; Nov 14, 2022 at 3:06 am
Old Nov 13, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Completed a generally underwhelming 10 night business stay (Diamond member).

Arrival / upgrade / room -deluxe room booked in the newly renovated south tower, upgraded to deluxe harbour view (same room, better view). First room was a twin converted to a king, which I didn’t like. Moved to another room on a lower floor (after 6 hours) that had a very musty/damp smell, and eventually moved to another room the following day on a lower floor, which was ok. The view was half harbour / half pool in all the rooms assigned. I say ok as it was not terribly well soundproofed and had the roaring fridge/water cooler issue (I eventually had the cabinet opened and the cooler turned off at the mains).

Room amenities / food - sub par, Le Labo products have gone, laundry seemingly “forgot” to starch my shirts, and the room service food would be low quality in even a 3*. Soggy pizza, mediocre noodles. I ordered food in via Grab.

Check out - late check out not available (beyond 12 noon). The reoccurring theme throughout the whole stay was “very high occupancy”.

I wouldn’t rush back and would actively look to stay in the Swissotel next door rather than the Fairmont, which benefits in my experience from far better upgrades and has a lounge.

Plus points are a good location and connectivity and a very nice concierge team.

At least in my experience the Fairmont is typical of so many Singapore hotels - no substance, “computer says no” approach, and many frustrating service issues.
kevino, IMH and jiunsoh like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by EGW1
Le Labo products have gone.
What are they replaced by? The same big refillable bottles at Swissotel?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:04 am
IMH

Toiletries during our stay were "Christian Lacroix", made in PRC.

Individual tubes, maximising plastic waste for the delivery of utterly uninteresting generic soap.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by IMH
Toiletries during our stay were "Christian Lacroix", made in PRC.

Individual tubes, maximising plastic waste for the delivery of utterly uninteresting generic soap.
I ended up using a Diptique soap bar that I found in my suitcase from a London trip (Pan Pacific I believe) such was the overpowering scent of Lacroix … incidentally not a brand known for let alone renowned for toiletries! I believe Le Labo is still available for Fairmont Gold guests. There’s also another generic offering in the Willow Spa, although that is definitely not worth a visit and needs a major refurbishment.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:47 am
IMH

Originally Posted by EGW1
Lacroix … incidentally not a brand known for let alone renowned for toiletries!
The International Hotel Supply Company is working hard on that ...

https://www.internationalhotelsupply...tel-cosmetics/
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:33 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Lacroix sweety!

Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.