Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chateau Whistler

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
I stayed there twice this summer. I would agree with most of what you said (I haven't stayed at the Four Season/Westin so can't compare). I found the restaurant (Wildflower) pretty good for North-American standards - not Araxi good, but better than most of the other places I've been in the village, and the breakfast that I had where decently sized.
A little OT but if Araxi is your benchmark, you should try Red Door or Rimrock Café.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by totti
The Fairmont Chateau Whistler used to be a really good hotel but quality and service has gone downhill in the past couple of years. The hotel is currently (as of Feb 2022) still incredibly short staffed and you feel that in every respect.
That's not just a problem for the Chateau Whistler. That's a major problem for all Whistler businesses in general. Everyone there is starved for staff. You have long-term staff who decided to change careers during the COVID shutdowns and layoffs over the past two years, as problem #1. Then problem #2, which compounds the situation further, is that much of Whistler (and other ski resort towns in Canada, but it's especially so in Whistler), is very heavily-dependant on temporary young foreign travellers on the WHV (Working Holiday Visa) program. On most years, it's like half the population of Whistler are from Australia and the UK. The pool of WHV staff was essentially shut down by COVID. I imagine that part of the issue will start to resolve by next winter season. The loss of longer term career staff could take a lot longer to correct. I would expect the 2022/23 ski season there to be much better, but still not back to normal.
totti likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:07 am

stayed for 2 nights Easter weekend, the hotel is packed and i can feel the under staffed strain in all departments, staying on a amex fhr rate, im a diamond, Mallard lounge was packed to the gills, people standing to eat,

i emailed the hotel 2 weeks prior to place my Accor number on the reservation, when i check in, the desk agent, said i was a basic member and not entitled to drink vouchers, after a bit of jossling, he issued the vouchers,

was a good stay in a basic room,

funny i wanted to stay on the gold floor, but they will not allow, my wife, me and my 10 year old, stay in a regular gold king room (we are ok to sleep in the same king bed), they only allow 2 occupants in the gold room, the next category up was a gold suite at double the price, i just went with the basic fairmont room,

i understand the protecting of gold lounge, not willing to buy a gold suite to experience it though

expectations were low, had a good experience,
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
Is Amex FHR rate actually eligible for status benefits? I was under the impression that only booking made through Accor/Fairmont directly were eligible?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: ALL Accor - Platinum
I've booked many times with Virtuoso and received points/benefits.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
Is Amex FHR rate actually eligible for status benefits? I was under the impression that only booking made through Accor/Fairmont directly were eligible?
yup. Thats where i got my diamond status. In the summer heat. My friends and i. like to go all out and rent the pool cabana and do it up big. Usually a large foilio.

the 20% off farimont gift cards and fhr benefits help take some of the sting off the price.

last weekend. I checked in on saturday. And i asked for the diamond bfast. The desk agent said she had to check with the manager and she will slip them under my room door. Walking away in my mind i said i only give it a 10% chance that would happen. About 3 hours later they actually arrived under my door. I was surprised.
received 2 diamond weekend bfast vouchers for the sunday morning. So i knew i did not have to pay for sunday bfast. With the vouchers and the fhr bfast. I has a total of 4 bfast for us 2 adults and a 10 yearold.

on the monday i knew i had the amex fhr bfast for 2 adults( it says $60 value on the welcome letter)
I ordered 3 full bfasts from room service expecting to pay for one of them.

Got lucky at check out the extra bfast was not on the foilo.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by beefyT
I've booked many times with Virtuoso and received points/benefits.
the guaranteed late check out is very important to me.

ive asked my virtuoso agent to enquire about this on several occasions. Hoping to give her some business. But she has not been able to secure a guaranteed late checkout at either the fairmont. Or the 4s
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:19 am

You received physical vouchers for the Diamond breakfast benefit? I've never seen that before. Whenever I've used the free breakfast, I've never received anything to take to the restaurant. It's just somehow attached to my room account in the system, and no charges post for the meal, or get automatically removed from the account the evening before check-out.
bellerophontes likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:44 am

Yes

i received 2x paper voucher in an envelope slipped under my room door.

I did not take a picture. They were ragged and jaggedly cut. Poorly Photocopied slips of paper.

they were comical. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But now thinking back. My 10 year old could have made better vouchers.

nothing like the drink vouchers which were printed on heavy card stock and professionally printed.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by reggie108
Yes

i received 2x paper voucher in an envelope slipped under my room door.

I did not take a picture. They were ragged and jaggedly cut. Poorly Photocopied slips of paper.

they were comical. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But now thinking back. My 10 year old could have made better vouchers.

nothing like the drink vouchers which were printed on heavy card stock and professionally printed.
That's definitely not normal. I wonder if this was a solution the hotel scrambled together because the computer wasn't recognizing your status, and therefore couldn't automatically offer the free breakfast electronically, so giving a paper breakfast voucher was their way of getting around the system.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: ALL Accor - Platinum
Two weeks ago when I stayed they gave me all cardstock breakfast vouchers. They are good for a) Wildflower buffet + coffee/drink or a la carte dish + coffee/drink, OR b) Portobello breakfast entree, pastry and coffee.

Very easy to use, but strangely the gratuity is not covered. So for a breakfast for 6 each day, I still paid $42. Definitely different than the old system of "put it all on your bill and we'll waive the whole charge."
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
I stayed there over the BC day long weekend. I had booked a Fairmont Gold Junior Suite and it's the room I got (I'm Diamond). I had asked for early checkin and late checkout. The room wasn't ready when I arrived but I was offered to either stay in the lounge or enjoy the pool while it gets ready. I stayed in the lounge as I had to work For late checkout, I was advised beforehand by email that they can offer me up to 1pm based on availability on the day off, or I could pay $150 for a checkout up to 4pm. I asked on the day off and was quoted $200 for 4pm. I challenged based on my status, saying that either it's available and it should be a benefit, or it's not and I should not be offered one. I got pushed back saying that "after 2pm, it impedes our ability to get the room ready for the next guest, so we charge". Got a free 2pm checkout, but didn't got offered to stay longer in the lounge if needed... Got my revenge when the guy spent 25 minutes redeeming my life experience certificates while I was sipping some lemonade from the lounge I could redeem my dining vouchers, and I found the exchange rate was pretty good (one voucher valued at 10€ was worth $13.14 while Google was giving $13.175)

The room was nice, though the AC was a bit struggling (there was a heatwave with outdoor temperatures in the low 30°C). I had it on 18°C (the lowest possible value) and it was around 22°C in the room. The room doesn't really have any view, it's facing the forest. I got two breakfast vouchers that I could redeem for the Wildflower buffet (tip is not included, they automatically charge you 18%...). I could redeem my drink voucher for a ~$30 cocktail at the Mallard lounge.

Gold lounge had fairly decent offering, with breakfast, afternoon snack, dining and dessert buffets.

Wifi was good during the day but a bit struggling in the evening/morning when every guest tries to use it.

Minibar looks like it's in jail

Welcome gift
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:31 pm

duplicate message

Last edited by OfficeGlenn; Jan 18, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:38 pm

Booked a standard King Room through Amex FHR for 1 night in January 2023 during ski season.

Received the following benefits:

Was given an early noon check-in on arrival
Daily Breakfast Buffet for 2 in Wildflower (which covered the full cost of breakfast including 15% tip)
4 PM late checkout

No Room Upgrade - although offered one for $250 which was declined

No Accor Benefits even though I am an Accord Diamond as they said booked through third party (although I have booked Virtuoso rate at other Fairmont's before and got the benefits and points for stay) so wasn't provided with drink vouchers.

I think the previous reviews were spot on - this place is overrated.

Service, which is usually the hallmark of a Fairmont was a bit lack luster, with multiple miscommunications and service issues.

Used up the $100 US food and beverage credit (which only converted to about $120 CDN - even though the current conversion is around $135) for Dinner at the Wildflower, and I thought it was just average, and certainly doesn't stack up to other top restaurants in Whistler.

While the hotel is located in the Upper Village with easy access to Blackcomb Mountain, I prefer staying in the Village. You are just in the heart of the action, with much easier access to both mountains. Yes you can access Whistler from Blackcomb via Peak to Peak, but you factor in the extra waiting time, and the extra time for the ride roundtrip, its not really worth it.

My recommendation is for a Luxurious stay, and if you have the money go for Four Seasons. For an experience similar to the Fairmont, save your money and stay at the Westin.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
Booked a standard King Room through Amex FHR for 1 night in January 2023 during ski season.

Received the following benefits:

Was given an early noon check-in on arrival
Daily Breakfast Buffet for 2 in Wildflower (which covered the full cost of breakfast including 15% tip)
4 PM late checkout

No Room Upgrade - although offered one for $250 which was declined

No Accor Benefits even though I am an Accord Diamond as they said booked through third party (although I have booked Virtuoso rate at other Fairmont's before and got the benefits and points for stay) so wasn't provided with drink vouchers.

I think the previous reviews were spot on - this place is overrated.

Service, which is usually the hallmark of a Fairmont was a bit lack luster, with multiple miscommunications and service issues.

Used up the $100 US food and beverage credit (which only converted to about $120 CDN - even though the current conversion is around $135) for Dinner at the Wildflower, and I thought it was just average, and certainly doesn't stack up to other top restaurants in Whistler.

While the hotel is located in the Upper Village with easy access to Blackcomb Mountain, I prefer staying in the Village. You are just in the heart of the action, with much easier access to both mountains. Yes you can access Whistler from Blackcomb via Peak to Peak, but you factor in the extra waiting time, and the extra time for the ride roundtrip, its not really worth it.

My recommendation is for a Luxurious stay, and if you have the money go for Four Seasons. For an experience similar to the Fairmont, save your money and stay at the Westin.

glad you had a reasonable stay in whistler. My expectations of the fairmont whistler are always low when i arrive at the hotel.

I usually stay there about 4x a year. These are some of my thoughts on your review above.

early check in. I dont usually check in early but the few time i do. They usually have rooms available. Its large hotel. People check out early so housekeeping is working to turn rooms over early in the morning. I do nt see a problem.

love the bfast buffet at the wildflower. Always look forward to it. Room service bfast is not bad either. I usually go 1 each if staying 2 night's.

room upgrade. If booking the lowest room. The fairmont room. The upgrade is a deluxe. It usually is slightly larger room. And if you get a double upgrade its a deluxe with a slope view.

ive booked the fairmont room. And wishes they didnt upgrade me. They gave me a deluxe facing the pool. Im a bit noise sensitive. That pool view room is noisy. Wish they would have just gave me a fairmont room facing the forest. Nice and quiet .

Staying there and being familar with the hotel. Im not polite in stating. Not asking. That i will be staying in my amex fhr room until 4 pm. They get the message. I usually call down last thing before i go to sleep on night before departure

i was a diamond last year. I always book amex fhr. I usually receive all the accor stuff. The night credits. And points. You must have gotten a new agent. As i would not have left the front desk without those welcome drink vouchers. Welcome drinks very important to me. Also receive Lame welcome amenity of a choc bar in room.

we like to use the welcome drink vouchers and the $100 usd at the mallard lounge. Its a great experience if you get a seat.

agree wildflower for lunch / dinner is lacklustre. We dont go. Rather eat takeout sushi.

i think ive stayed at most upper tier hotels in whistler village. We have always gone back and been the most comfortable at the fairmont.

disagree with your statement about the westin. Its no where near the quality of the fairmont.

and for the four seasons vs Fairmont comparison.

rooms are better at the 4s. 4s is usually more expensive than the fairmont.
with fhr. 4s offers a spa credit only. No use to me. I dont like the dining/bar/ restaurant setup in the basement of the 4s. Feels all cramped and an after thought of how its designed.

this might have changed. But i dont like the food and beverage at the 4s. Thier bfast buffet suck compared to the fairmont. Their lounge seating not as comfortable. Not as grand.

whistler always has suffered from a lack of experienced labour. Or a transient work force. So when i arrive in whistler. I know im lucky the service person showed up for work.

the fairmont is no where near perfect. When i go im very practical. I know the hotel is slammed. I dont expect a luxury experience. I just expect things to be made right. Of chuckle it off.

far different expectation than from a couple arriving at the fairmont and expecting a 5 star luxury experience with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited by reggie108; Jan 18, 2023 at 8:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.