The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by motytrah
Was at the Orchid last month. Had a standard king room garden view. Still very big by Hawaii hotel standards. I was staying at an ultra-low TA rate, so I can't complain. Upkeep of the hotel is great. About 1/5 of the hotel was blocked off for renovations.

According to the staff the Orchid was originally a Four Seasons property from the early 90's. Then went SPG, finally bought by Fairmont. It's been renovated at least twice since it was built. I think that's why it looks in really good shape despite being older that other properties near by.

At any rate, I applaud Fairmont for renovating rooms while wear and tear is still quite mild. Also for keeping pools and whirlpools open 24/7. It's nice to go down while kids aren't around.
Slight correction. The hotel was developed in 1990/1991 as a Ritz Carlton by Ritz Carlton and a Japaneese investment group. It was never a Four Seasons. In the mid 90's, it was sold to Colony Capital at a loss of $100M and starting in 1996 was managed by Starwood as part of their Luxury Collection. They branded it as "The Orchid at Mauna Lani". Fairmont purchased the property in the fall of 2002 and rebranded it as "The Fairmont Orchid" in December of 2002. Fairmont than sold the property to an investment firm in December of 2005 at a gain if more than $100M. They have a long term management contract with the investment group.

I have stayed at the property many times over the past ten years and continue to be impressed.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: PC Ambassador, UA , HH Gold
Fairmont Orchid

Can anyone tell me if I can get the $200 resort credit if I book the 3rd free promotion? Besides, can I book 3 nights + 3 nights in different names staying together (i.e. me & my wife) to get $400 resort credit?

Appreciate your advice.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by FrankieTse
Can anyone tell me if I can get the $200 resort credit if I book the 3rd free promotion? Besides, can I book 3 nights + 3 nights in different names staying together (i.e. me & my wife) to get $400 resort credit?

Appreciate your advice.
http://www.fairmont.com/orchid/Hotel...dNightFree.htm

From reading the Fairmont Orchid website, it seems to me that yes, you may combine the $200 resort credit with the Third Night Free promotion: follow the special instructions to request it; and yes, you may break up a six night stay into two three night stays so both you and the Mrs. can take advantage of the double-dip!

That's my $0.02. Hope it helps!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Virtuoso Orchid Upgrade Expectation?

I am planning on staying at the Fairmont Orchid in a couple weeks for 3 days, and I have my choice between paying $200/night plus taxes and getting an upgrade from Virtuoso by booking thru them, or I could pay $166 a night by booking with someone like Travelocity or Orbitz...My question is do people find that the Virtuoso upgrade is worth the extra $100?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
You are generally entitled to a single category upgrade with Virtuoso or Amex FHR, although some get lucky or charm their way into much better upgrades. If you have an Amex Plat card, check out the FHR rate since I believe they are currently running a third night free promo, plus the normal bennies (upgrade, breakfast, late check-out and an additional benefit such as a lunch). Even if the FHR rate was as high as $300, the benefits are probably worth it over an Expedia booking if one of the nights is free.

SG
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1P
Upgrade Strategy--Fairmont Orchid?

I know its a long shot given Spring Break season, although at the moment it seems like every room type is wide open at the Fairmont Orchid (based on reservations inquiry)--no status with Fairmont although 1P with United (seem to frequently travel to locations where the Fairmont is not in preferred location). Any promos running or opportunities out there? Minimal stay history as FPC member--few nights in Bermuda the past year.

I'm currently booked into partial ocean view for a week with the family. Suite would be great, but realistically, moving even to deluxe ocean view or Gold would be a nice little upgrade. Thanks for any suggestions!

Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Check out this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...ents-club.html

It may be worth doing a cheap matress run before your trip. In your case, it would probably be VERY worth it!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:08 am

Wow...

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Check out this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...ents-club.html

It may be worth doing a cheap matress run before your trip. In your case, it would probably be VERY worth it!
Was thinking this would be a great deal---fine print though---only platinum or premier tier members, bummer or I would have been all over that. Thanks for the suggestion though, appreciate it.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Being a FPC member, you can pretty much count on getting some sort of an upgrade if the hotel is wide open. Enjoy the Orchid! The staff is wonderful and make sure you go on the petroglyph hike with Uncle Kalani!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:38 am

Will do..

Originally Posted by Red Tail Fan
Being a FPC member, you can pretty much count on getting some sort of an upgrade if the hotel is wide open. Enjoy the Orchid! The staff is wonderful and make sure you go on the petroglyph hike with Uncle Kalani!
Thanks for the suggestion--it does appear they have some really cool programs there, including the hike. I have always wanted to try surfing, looks like that might be possible!!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
But Suite Upgrade cert's get you upgraded, in advance, to some SWEET suites. So if you can do a mattress run, it will be very worth it.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:24 am

Right...

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
But Suite Upgrade cert's get you upgraded, in advance, to some SWEET suites. So if you can do a mattress run, it will be very worth it.
but don't think I can given I don't hold status. I'd be on my way to my local Fairmont tonight if that wasn't the case! Am I missing an easy way around not holding status?

Thanks for all the great comments!^
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Ok, lets try to help this guy out.. sounds like he wants to be an FPCer for life.

Quickest way to Platinum if you're Canadian. Get the American Express Card, and charge 5 nights to the room. You get platinum status which gets you a free night and couple suite upgrades. Mattress run=5 nights NFAF, which is also a nice time for the family at a local hotel.

Second option, phone FPC loyalty, and ask (doesn't hurt) for a suite upgrade certificate that is good for 5 nights.

Third option, don't want to do the above.. roll the dice and request best room/suite at check in and see what happens. First couple times we stayed at Orchid, we got the suite we booked for, no upgrades. This last time, the management was different and treated us like royalty. We're going back for the fourth time, and not likely our last.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bdaviskc
Thanks for the suggestion--it does appear they have some really cool programs there, including the hike. I have always wanted to try surfing, looks like that might be possible!!
You won't get much surfing done at the Orchid. You will have to go to others areas to accomplish that. Plan on some great snorkeling or diving though. If your trip takes you there on the first Saturday of the month, plan on going to the Mauna Lani that evening for "Story Time" with island elders at the cottage. Uncle Kalani can help you. Now I am missing the Orchid terribly.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:03 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Ok, lets try to help this guy out.....

Third option, don't want to do the above.. roll the dice and request best room/suite at check in and see what happens.
I'm going to say 3rd option is to look into Virtuoso as a booking route for the stay. The OP will get 5% off the BAR for his room, buffet breakfast for 2 at the Orchid Court daily and a series of complimentary activites at the hotel (snorkling gear, tennis lessons etc). On top of this, there is an upgrade upon arrival via Virtuoso, which coupled with FPC membership might score him his oceanview.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.