Fairmont Le Château Frontenac

Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
I disagree with tgis. We went to Le Champlain last year. Very dissapoiting. After all the hype about the food and new chef we found it veey expensive for what we got. The quality was ok but the plates were very small. This is not one of the best restaurants in Quebec. Go to Le Saint-Amour if you want an excellent restaurant or Panache. Saying that the hotel really is one of a kind and apart from the restaurant always enjoy every other part. However for the difference in price I would alwats suggest a River view since some rooms are quite small
Well we will agree to disagree about Le Champlain. This is IMO one of the best restaurant in Quebec, the kind of food which is not only good but which surprised me (which not happens very often in North America). I've been in the Saint-Amour as well, this is another very good restaurant in Quebec, but for someone who have a 100 CAD credit with a FHR rate it would be a shame to not try Le Champlain at all.
I would go to the Lounge or Wine bar and spend the $100.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Stayed as Plat on AMEX FHR rate, booked Gold Floor Standard (City View)Room, received double upgrade to Gold Floor River View Corner Suite.

Breakfast was great and we used the $100 F&B for lunch at La Terrasse (during renovation).

Originally Posted by Pdstahl
Good morning, my wife and I will be staying at the Chateau Frontenac in august using Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts. Has anyone had experience with their treatment and upgrades at this property?

The Chateau Frontenac has been on my bucket list for a while.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I don't usually post here.

If you have a gluten or dairy allergy, the gluten and dairy free bread at this property is the best I have ever had in my life.

I forget the name of the formal dining room but OMG. The renovated rooms are like the ones at the Palliser but the bread, just...shoot me. AWESOME. Love this property as well.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:19 am

Le Champlain hit or miss?

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Well we will agree to disagree about Le Champlain. This is IMO one of the best restaurant in Quebec, the kind of food which is not only good but which surprised me (which not happens very often in North America). I've been in the Saint-Amour as well, this is another very good restaurant in Quebec, but for someone who have a 100 CAD credit with a FHR rate it would be a shame to not try Le Champlain at all.
Yul_voyager thank you very much for your post.

After a 13 year absence we will visit this glorious hotel again. Due to your positive comments, we will give Le Champlain another try. I must say that our memories of dining at this outlet are not so fond, the restaurant staff were condescending and rude; and the bearnaise sauce was lumpy and cold

We have high hopes that the service and dining experience will be on par with what we enjoy at other Fairmont Properties.

Cheers!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question upgrade request query

Originally Posted by jkc22
Stayed as Plat on AMEX FHR rate, booked Gold Floor Standard (City View)Room, received double upgrade to Gold Floor River View Corner Suite.
This is awesome! Did you contact them in advance to request? (upgrades to the Gold Floor are rare indeed.)
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Stayed at the Frontenac last week for one night on the way to Manior Richelieu. Used a free night certificate combined with a suite upgrade. Got a beautiful newly renovated two room suite.

Check in was seamless - front desk provided our little guy with a free stuffed animal from WWF (Tiger) - he got the Beluga whale from the Pacific Rim earlier in the year. Room was newly renovated and very nice.

But the new gem of this property are the renovations that they did to the restaurants and bars. OMG. What a transformation. Two years ago this was a tired location- now these are some of the most beautiful restaurants we have seen in a while! Amazing blend of Modern, Luxury and truth to historic roots.

Sorry - penguin - did not have the chance to try the gluten free bread - my wife made other dinner plans for us in Quebec City - but we will go back soon and will definitely try it then.

We almost jumped on the $99 GRGD special for the Frontenac this month to already plan our return - but by the time I got to the offer it was already up to $149. Not sure if that was a mistake or the $99 rooms sold out quickly.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by codesinvan
Stayed at the Frontenac last week for one night on the way to Manior Richelieu. Used a free night certificate combined with a suite upgrade. Got a beautiful newly renovated two room suite.

Check in was seamless - front desk provided our little guy with a free stuffed animal from WWF (Tiger) - he got the Beluga whale from the Pacific Rim earlier in the year. Room was newly renovated and very nice.

But the new gem of this property are the renovations that they did to the restaurants and bars. OMG. What a transformation. Two years ago this was a tired location- now these are some of the most beautiful restaurants we have seen in a while! Amazing blend of Modern, Luxury and truth to historic roots.

Sorry - penguin - did not have the chance to try the gluten free bread - my wife made other dinner plans for us in Quebec City - but we will go back soon and will definitely try it then.

We almost jumped on the $99 GRGD special for the Frontenac this month to already plan our return - but by the time I got to the offer it was already up to $149. Not sure if that was a mistake or the $99 rooms sold out quickly.
If you have the Amex Plat, have a look at the FHR rate which could be very interesting here.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: AC*E
Mid-trip report. We booked the room on Black Friday and combined 3rd-night free and suite upgrade certificates. We asked about also applying a room-upgrade cert but was told that it is not possible to combine certs. The reservation was done by my SO, and she did not push harder to allow it.
We took the train and arrived around 10:30pm, we waited a while for an agent to check-us in, the process was pleasant but not warm. Unlike other posters, our 6-yo daughter was not offered any treats. The porter did not give us an options to bust our own bags, which is fine. We were shown to our room, and he was nice and welcoming. He offered to fetch us ice, and offered to call for a child-sized bath robe. We agreed for the bath robe but it never showed up. We called the next morning for it, and again it never showed up. A third attempt was successful.
Our suite is small, and perhaps not as nice as other Fairmont rooms that I am used to. My SO loves the angled ceiling, to her, it gives it a castle feel. We have a wonderful river view, which oddly, seems to flow in both directions depending on time of day. The ferry operators need to cut steep angles to compensate for the lateral drift of the fast current.
My SO has just reached Platinum status, but there was no welcome amenity. I wrote the hotel the next morning informing them that I thought this was a mistake. They apologized and around 5pm, a small single-serving carrot cake was delivered. I am told it was ok, as I am gluten-free I did not taste it.
The hotel pool is nicer than Chateau Laurier and Queen E. It is small, but we were the only guests for about an hour, probably due to it being a seasonal low. The eucalyptus steam bath is wonderful.
All hotel staff we have encountered have been happy to serve us in either French or English. I find the mix French in the English service to be utterly charming. (We are both fluent French speakers and can affirm they do not talk about us behind our back).
We have stayed close to the hotel in the historic district which is beautiful, exceeding our expectations. Despite the low temperatures (-11c, feels like -15c), there are plenty of tourists and tour buses. There is a toboggan run steps away for the hotel, it is more like a short bob-sled track. It is for-pay at $3 per person per run.
We are looking forward to eating at the hotel restaurant tonight.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by drdrma
Mid-trip report. We booked the room on Black Friday and combined 3rd-night free and suite upgrade certificates. We asked about also applying a room-upgrade cert but was told that it is not possible to combine certs. The reservation was done by my SO, and she did not push harder to allow it.
You're not supposed to be able to combine a suite upgrade with a room upgrade, so further pushing may not have done any good. When trying to bend the rules on certificate use, you're normally better to call the hotel directly, since they seem to have more discretion than central reservations. Even then, some hotels are more flexible than others.

How did you find the overall state of the hotel--in particular, room finishing, furniture, etc.? I've stayed there many times, but haven't been since they finished the big renovation. I'm thinking of a return visit this summer.

Originally Posted by drdrma
We have a wonderful river view, which oddly, seems to flow in both directions depending on time of day. The ferry operators need to cut steep angles to compensate for the lateral drift of the fast current.
That would be the tidal flow. They get 15 to 20 foot tides at Quebec City. I once took my boat down that way, and it made for fun navigating. It's something I'm not used to up here on Georgian Bay and Lake Huron.

Thanks for the report!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
You're not supposed to be able to combine a suite upgrade with a room upgrade, so further pushing may not have done any good. When trying to bend the rules on certificate use, you're normally better to call the hotel directly, since they seem to have more discretion than central reservations. Even then, some hotels are more flexible than others.
Thanks. We are learning how to navigate this, so I appreciate the advice.

How did you find the overall state of the hotel--in particular, room finishing, furniture, etc.? I've stayed there many times, but haven't been since they finished the big renovation. I'm thinking of a return visit this summer.
Our room is sparse. Monocromatic walls, wallpaper and paint. The bed is amazingly comfortable. My SO tells me that we are not in a renovated room. I peeked into other rooms as we walked by, and they are probably renovated as the furnishings are much nicer.

We had dinner at the Champlain. It was very nice, we were seated with a view of the river. The food was very well executed, the crab appetizers stands out, I will recall it fondly for a long time. The restaurant did not have gluten-free bread, the waiter later said he located some at the breakfast restaurant, but I felt it was not worth it as we had already begun eating.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:26 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
What is the average rate or really good rate ever found for this property for a weekend? I have a booking for a relatively low rate but not sure if it's worth keeping.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
What is the average rate or really good rate ever found for this property for a weekend? I have a booking for a relatively low rate but not sure if it's worth keeping.
The best rates recently were C$99 for a GRGD offer late last year (which could have been a mistake because it quickly went to $149) and the C$123 on Black Friday last year (I am using that rate to stay for a weekend later this month). For normal rates - I think $180-$200 might be the appropriate range.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Prices here are very seasonal. I think you'll find the prices in July to be nearly triple what they are in April or November.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:09 am

Recently returned from 3 nights here, and it was our first stay here since the completion of the big renovation. The renovations were very well done. We had a Junior Suite with a River View, and it was updated very beautifully. The bathroom was stunning.

The only complaint I had about the room, is some poorly planned furniture placement. If they had placed the cabinet in the living room just a couple inches over, we could have had use of these drawers (and it's not like there wasn't room on the wall to do so, and they could still do so quite easily).

The welcome amenity was underwhelming, which was a small jar of maple caramel. Nothing to eat it with, just a small jar!

Service was excellent throughout. Concierge was knowledgeable. Parking valet was prompt. Bell service was prompt. The front desk even knew to apply our FPC dining certificates in USD without a reminder!

The best part of our stay had to be dinner at Bistro Le Sam, which had to be one of the better meals we've ever had at any Fairmont. The food and service were top notch. The restaurant is a bit noisy, but we had a table in the enclosed terrace, which was much quieter, with a nice view of the fireworks on the river in front of the hotel.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Giving this thread a bump, just came back from another fantastic stay at this hotel. They really do treat FPC members very well here. We went last year during the renovations using a suite upgrade cert and got put in a great Frontenac suite in one of the turrets overlooking the St-Lawrence river. They gave us a free night certificate because of the renovations (which we never noticed apart from the main hall being closed)

I used this free night and a suite upgrade cert on a booking this weekend which was my birthday. When we got there, they put us up in a Churchill Suite on the 11th floor which was a such a nice gesture, even had a birthday card from the manager. We very much enjoyed the newly renovated bar (called the 1608, no more Prime Minister martinis unfortunately) that has a very nice wine list. Although the ipad menus seem to be a solution looking for a problem in that they do not work very well and the staff has to constantly apologise and fiddle with them. Maybe an old-fashioned menu on paper would be better... Cheese selection is fantastic as well.

Always have a great stay at this property and the staff are top notch and very helpful. Looking forwards to our next stay there.
Wow, you are lucky with the suite-upgrades. Using my free night + suite upgrade certs, they only gave us a lowly Junior Suite. I had to apply an additional suite-upgrade certificate in order to get a decent suite But that's ok since the certs expire end of February and I had no other trips planned by then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.