Fairmont Le Château Frontenac

Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Is the laundry priced outrageously? I have only done hotel-supplied laundry a few times and each time I've been surprised at how expensive it has been!
Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:31 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Le Chateau Frontenac

Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

1 rue des Carrieres Quebec, QC CA G1R 4P5

Le Chateau Frontenac (11 Photos)

Mrs. Sleepdoc and I took the opportunity to visit our fair neighbors to the north. Having never been to Montreal and Quebec City we were quite excited based on recommendations from one of her friends. I’m usually a Starwood guy but I can definitely say I was impressed with the quality of service from the Le Chateau Frontenac. I managed to get a suite upgrade certificate by contacting the FPC to see if they did any status matching with SPG Platinum and was told no but offered the certificate for my interest. This was quite nice of them! Did not take advantage of the NFAF rate and booked a traditional rate by calling the FPC line and using the suite upgrade to secure a Junior Suite.

Check In

We flew into Montreal and took Via Rail into Quebec City saving me the hassle of renting a car and navigating thru French Canada especially since neither of us speaks any French! Taxi was only a 10-minute drive to the hotel and we were greeted by the bellman professionally dressed in red coats that also assisted us with our luggage. Check-in was a breeze and the staff was very professional and polite. Along with our keys we received coupons for a complimentary breakfast buffet and coupon for 20% off at either of the hotel’s restaurants, which unfortunately did not use.

Le Chateau Frontenac

Entrance into hotel pass SAQ

Room

One of the bellman led us up to the room with luggage in tow… there are 3-4 different sections of the hotel built at various times thru the 100 plus year history. There are approximately 600 rooms with 33 of these being suites. I believe we were in the newest section or the Claude-Pratte Wing, which was built in 1993. Our Junior Suite included a separate living room area with wet bar, refrigerator, a small bathroom with only a bathtub as well two bathrobes, and of course a small separate bedroom. Overall an elegantly appointed room and what one would I guess expect in a castle like hotel. Turndown service was provided every night with a couple of maple sugar cookies and a small note with the forecast for the next day. A nice touch IMO.

View of St Lawrence River from 8th floor

View from bedroom window

Suite Living Room

Suite Bedroom

Dining

My wife and I only partook in the St-Laurent Bar & Lounge with associated outdoor terrace. They make some lovely drinks with the standouts IMO being the Moscow Mule and Cucumber-Lime Spritzer. Food at this bar was a little bit of disappointment but overall atmosphere relaxing and romantic. We didn’t partake in the any of the other offerings at the Chateau restaurants but these include the relatively downscale Le Cafe de la Terrasse and very upscale Le Champlain.

Amenities

We did use the pool once which is located on the sixth floor of the hotel. There is a large hot tub as well as a fairly large outside deck if you want to enjoy the sun. The gym is located next to the pool however, we did not use it during the stay.

Service

Tours of the hotel are given throughout the week between certain times on the hour and given in either French or English with the guides dressed in period costume. You are taken throughout the various sections and given the history of the hotel. It would be a real shame if you didn’t partake the tour and quite worth the roughly 10CAD that is charged for each guest. Don’t forget to tip your guide too! Other members in the group either forgot or were quite stingy!

Stairway to Ballroom

As far as location you are perfectly situated in Old Quebec within the confines of the walls. Roughly 5000 people actually live in Old Quebec and another 800,000 live outside the walls according to our horse carriage tour guide. There is a promenade on one side of the hotel facing lower town with a view of the Citadel in the distance. Along this promenade are toboggan slides that are used obviously in the winter by the hotel. Also there is a funicular that conveniently lands you in Lower Town for a small fee if one does not want to walk the hilly streets to the town below. Easy access to shopping and restaurants below as well as to the port and Farmers Market where we bought some lovely Quebec goat cheese and marveled at the selection of fruits and vegetables at very reasonable and low prices!

Promenade

Old Castle walls

Lower Town

There are plenty of shops, cafes, and restaurants also in Upper Town all within very short walking distance of the hotel. If you are staying at the Le Chateau Frontenac one definitely does not need a vehicle unless you want to explore outside of the city. Lastly the Citadel is also a short walk from the hotel and during the summer one can tour the Citadel as well as see the changing of the guard.

View of Old Quebec City from the Citadel

Overall

In conclusion we absolutely loved the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac and Quebec City. We actually plan on coming back during the Winter Festival… quite remarkable, as my wife hates the cold and winter! The Fairmont chain definitely gave us a great first impression and we wouldn’t hesitate staying at any of the other Fairmont hotels!

My apologies on the pictures… iPhone quality nevertheless enjoy!

Le Chateau Frontenac

Would you like to write a review on the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Quebec City's Le Château Frontenac celebrates 116th anniversary with $116 rates

http://www.fairmont.com/frontenac/Ho...yPromotion.htm

116th Anniversary Promotion
FAIRMONT LE CHÂTEAU FRONTENAC BLOWS 116 CANDLES !

Join the celebrations with the chateau’s anniversary promotion!

The castle-like Fairmont Le Château Frontenac has reasons to celebrate – 116 good reasons! Canada’s fabled Chateau is proudly celebrating 116 years of welcoming guests from around the world with a special anniversary offer of $116* per night.

This is the perfect time to come experience the historic charm, distinctive elegance and world-class service of this legendary hotel.

Package Includes:
Room accommodation each evening.

Availability
The special anniversary promotion is valid for stays between October 25, 2009 and December 17, 2009.

Based on availability. Must be booked a minimum of 7 days prior to arrival. One night non-refundable deposit required at booking. Offer not valid in conjunction with any other promotion or for group bookings.

Rates:
From $116* per night, double occupancy, Fairmont room category.

For a detailed rate display, please click on the ''Book Now'' button.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:16 pm

Thanks for posting! Better than the other rate even - only the prepaid part might be the only drawback for some people but if you know you have to be there then no big deal - I booked it! Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Qantas Gold, Emirates Gold
Are the smoking rooms really stinky at the Frontenac?

Due to a booking mistake on my part ( I didn't realise I checked the smoking box in the online reservation search form) I have ended up with a smoking studio room at the Frontenac - we arent smokers and hate the smell of stale smoke. We are staying over Christmas which is obviously a busy time, so despite my pleading with the hotel reservations desk and Fairmont reservations, they say they cannot provide me with a non-smoking studio room. Has anyone experienced one of the smoking rooms at this hotel? do they smell very strongly of cigarettes or are they OK. If the room is too gross we can downgrade the category but Im loathe to do that as its half the size or thereabouts.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Qantas Gold, Emirates Gold
Well I can now answer my own question for any that might be interested - the smoking room did not have any smoke odour at all -- in fact the hotel had gone to a lot of effort to ensure it was clean and fresh. The hotel was fabulous, the staff were always polite and went the extra mile to help and were so great with our kids - I thoroughly recommend a stay at the Chateau.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Glad to hear it worked out. It is a great hotel.
Old May 19, 2011, 1:51 am

Programs: Accor Plat, SPG Gold, MR Silver, BA Gold, DL Silver, Amex Plat (IDC)
Hi,

I booked an Delxue King room for 3 nights at 349CAD per night, then I realize I had upgrade cert.

I called FPC to try to get a Suite upgrade, the girl was really friendly, and changed my room to a classic double beds room (at 289$) and then upgraded me to a Junior King Suite! (mean i save 180$ and get a suite!)

My dates are 18-21 sept.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by alelex
Hi,

I booked an Delxue King room for 3 nights at 349CAD per night, then I realize I had upgrade cert.

I called FPC to try to get a Suite upgrade, the girl was really friendly, and changed my room to a classic double beds room (at 289$) and then upgraded me to a Junior King Suite! (mean i save 180$ and get a suite!)

My dates are 18-21 sept.
Look forward to this experience. It's a very interesting hotel. I stayed in one of their suites as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GdikoOlUqg - This one. Maybe request a further upgrade to this one? Maybe this can give you a little idea of what to expect.

Kindest regards,
Henrik
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:32 am

Any Aug promotions for Le Chateau Frontenac?

Hoping to stay at Le Chateau Frontenac for 4 nights in Aug. Are there any current promotions that would allow use of a suite upgrade cert. Can one upgrade to Gold by paying an extra surcharge?

Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by znke252
Hoping to stay at Le Chateau Frontenac for 4 nights in Aug. Are there any current promotions that would allow use of a suite upgrade cert. Can one upgrade to Gold by paying an extra surcharge?

Thanks
The only rate that doesn´t allow using upgrade certs is the Great Rates Great Dates rate. The best rate you´d probably be able to find is an advance purchase rate or the Everyone´s an Original / summer sale rate.

Upgrading to Gold using certs (with or without a co-pay) is not an option (at least officially), but it never hurts to contact the hotel directly and enquire. (I´ve heard of 1-2 properties which have occasionally allowed this, but most properties try to keep their Gold floors exclusive)
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
The only rate that doesn´t allow using upgrade certs is the Great Rates Great Dates rate. The best rate you´d probably be able to find is an advance purchase rate or the Everyone´s an Original / summer sale rate.

Upgrading to Gold using certs (with or without a co-pay) is not an option (at least officially), but it never hurts to contact the hotel directly and enquire. (I´ve heard of 1-2 properties which have occasionally allowed this, but most properties try to keep their Gold floors exclusive)
The upgrade info is very helpful. I finally found Amex's 3rd night free info, so will be using that. Does anyone know what "authentically local ammenity" is offered at this hotel?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:57 pm

Just to update:

The Chateau Frontenac was a wonderful hotel and the Staff were super. If one is going to (Old) Quebec City, then this hotel should be on the list as the location is very convenient. (I will definitely be going back.) Local amenity was 1/2 of a small loaf of carrot bread... it was okay. Upgrade to gold using cert and copay didn't pan out. (Thanks for the info Jasper 2009)
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by znke252
Just to update:

The Chateau Frontenac was a wonderful hotel and the Staff were super. If one is going to (Old) Quebec City, then this hotel should be on the list as the location is very convenient. (I will definitely be going back.) Local amenity was 1/2 of a small loaf of carrot bread... it was okay. Upgrade to gold using cert and copay didn't pan out. (Thanks for the info Jasper 2009)
In as many stays at the many Fairmonts over the years.. I've never received a complimentary upgrade to gold using certs or at check-in.. except the Historian at a hotel offered me a gold upgrade.. but I haven't took him up on that yet..

I've heard that Fairmont is quite protective of the gold brand..
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
In as many stays at the many Fairmonts over the years.. I've never received a complimentary upgrade to gold using certs or at check-in.. except the Historian at a hotel offered me a gold upgrade.. but I haven't took him up on that yet..

I've heard that Fairmont is quite protective of the gold brand..

It's understandable that Fairmont wants to maintain gold as being special. That being said, providing a one time offer to its Platinum members might be a good marketing tool to showcase gold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.