Fairmont Le Château Frontenac

Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:47 am
pjs

Originally Posted by pjs
Anyone stayed here on an Amex FHR rate lately? We have two rooms booked for Sunday night and wondering what, if any, upgrade we might get. Thanks.
Well, I can report back myself. We got two King river view rooms next to each other. One was very small and the other was larger with a desk and chair. Rooms were in great shape and bed was comfortable. It was a great place to stay for a night, but I can't imagine spending more than a couple of days there as the old town (plus the fort) is very small and easily walkable in a few hours.

In case anyone wants to see the pics and review it's here: https://emptynestermiles.com/2022/09...ntenac-review/
Eagle_traveler and EcotoneHR like this.

Last edited by pjs; Sep 9, 2022 at 8:31 am Reason: Included review link
Old Nov 19, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Booking with Kids

Has anyone stayed here recently with kids? The Accor website is only showing the Gold 1 bedroom suite for $2800/night if I put in 2 adults + 2 kids. If I put in 2 adults, I'm shown a bunch of rooms from $600 - $900/night, but they show as only accommodating 2 adults.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by sent
Has anyone stayed here recently with kids? The Accor website is only showing the Gold 1 bedroom suite for $2800/night if I put in 2 adults + 2 kids. If I put in 2 adults, I'm shown a bunch of rooms from $600 - $900/night, but they show as only accommodating 2 adults.
I haven't stayed recently, but will be there for a few nights over New Years.

I'm not sure I understand your problem. If you search while saying you have 4 people staying, of course the system will exclude rooms only able to accommodate 2 people. If you're only seeing the Gold 1 Bed Suite when searching for 4 people, perhaps that's the only 4-person room available for your dates? If you want 4 people in the room, they will only show you options with 2 Beds, or King bed rooms of a Junior Suite or higher, because they come with a pull-out couch that can accommodate 2 more there. There are King rooms that accommodate 2 adults plus a child, but probably none of the King rooms will officially accommodate a couple plus 2 children.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:35 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac Quebec City = One of Best in North America

Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

1 rue des Carrieres Quebec, QC CA G1R 4P5

Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac Quebec City = One of Best in North America (15 Photos)

I reviewed this hotel shortly before the covid outbreak and returned this year.  I thought I would provide a brief update regarding this hotel which is one of the nicest Fairmonts we have stayed in before.  

The iconic Fairmont Le Château Frontenac in Quebec City was officially our daughter’s 100th hotel in her life at the age of 20 months old, not counting duplicates of hotels where we stayed more than once.  This stay was booked many months ago, originally planned for December but I was sick like a dog in the virus infested country (second only to China?) but the hotel thankfully agreed to reschedule to January despite being passed the cancellation deadline.  

This hotel has a great reputation, for what it’s worth they won best luxury hotel in the world according to “World Luxury Hotel Awards”.  https://www.luxuryhotelawards.com/winner/the-16th-annual-world-luxury-hotel-awards-winners/?sorts%23winners-table[hotel]=1

This is quite a high standard to reach, I would settle for maybe one of the best in North America but regardless, the point is that this hotel does not have many flaws no matter how we look at it.  They claim to be the most photographed hotel in the world as it’s the city landmark, a stunning castle overlooking the river. Being #1 hotel in pictures, that I can believe more easily.  How often do random tourists actually take a picture of a hotel anyway?  My guess is that 99%+ of tourists coming to Quebec City take a picture of the Fairmont hotel.  If not it must be because their phone is broken.

1_IMG_7157b.jpg

Room

I booked the entry level room and was originally upgraded to a signature room as Accor Diamond, however because of our early check-in the room was not ready so they proactively further upgraded to junior suite which was available immediately.  Most hotels would actually do the opposite if we arrive too early.   The suite was not very big but this is a very old hotel with most rooms being on the small side, a room 45 sqm was quite good here.  We had lovely river views from our room as well.  

1_IMG_7203.jpeg1_IMG_7205.jpeg1_IMG_7206.jpeg1_IMG_7207.jpeg1_IMG_7208.jpeg2_IMG_7209.jpeg2_IMG_7245.jpeg

Dining

The public areas of this hotel are great especially the restaurants and bars.  The hotel has excellent dining options popular with people not even staying at the hotel, and offers a perfect opportunity to burn the 100 USD F&B credit as per Virtuoso benefits.  Our daughter received a celebration cake and card marking her 100thhotel and we got a bottle of champagne, not to mention 3 welcome drink vouchers and they allowed us to pick whatever we wanted from the menu rather than limit to the cheap stuff - nice all around, everybody happy.

2_IMG_7211.jpeg2_IMG_7212.jpeg2_IMG_7213.jpeg2_IMG_7215.jpeg2_IMG_7217.jpeg2_IMG_7222.jpeg2_IMG_7247.jpeg

Service

Service at this hotel stands out, I would dare to say almost at the level of Asia and the Middle East which almost never happens in North America.  As an example, when we ordered room service the server was aware it was our daughter’s 100th hotel.  Staff just seem to know who are the guests and what is going on, there is great coordination and communication.  Service was professional and polished at reception and in the restaurant.

Wifi

Wifi speed could have been better, I clocked 7 Mbps.

Overall

Overall it was a treat returning to Fairmont Le Château Frontenac and I can highly recommend it to everybody, from top tier Accor loyalists to infrequent travelers looking for a historical hotel which will provide a premium experience.j

Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac Quebec City = One of Best in North America

Would you like to write a review on the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac?

No, thank you.
Yes
CanadaDH and SkyteamEP like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Introduction I reviewed this hotel shortly before the covid outbreak and returned this year. I thought I would provide a brief update regarding this hotel which is one of the nicest Fairmonts we have stayed in before.
Thanks for the reminder. We stayed there on Fairmont Gold for 4 days over New Year's and I was meaning to write a another review.

Were the lobby Christmas Trees still there during your January stay? I took a video walk through, in what seemed like they were going for the world record on most Christmas Trees per square foot in a hotel lobby! There were dozens of them in a long row.

I recognize your photos of the 1608 bar and Le Sam. We ate in each, and did Le Sam on New Year's Eve. It always ranks among my top meals anywhere.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Were the lobby Christmas Trees still there during your January stay? I took a video walk through, in what seemed like they were going for the world record on most Christmas Trees per square foot in a hotel lobby! There were dozens of them in a long row.
Unfortunately all Christmas decorations were gone by the time we arrived. One of the reasons I originally wanted to stay in December (not January) was the Christmas-related stuff in the hotel and in the rest of the city, but unfortunately a bug got the best of me
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:01 pm

We returned to the Le Château Frontenac on New Year's Eve for a short 4-day stay.

I've always liked Quebec City at Christmas and New Year's, and they really know how to celebrate the season here. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't the best. After a fairly snowy mid-December, New Year's brought a fair amount of rain, which not only removed a lot of snow, but put a bit of a damper on the many outdoor celebrations. Streets were blocked for outdoor markets, Ferris wheels, fireworks, bandstands, and all sorts of parties. It was still a good time, but the winter wonderland was a bit damp.

We booked a Fairmont Gold Room, and that's exactly what we got. I certainly wasn't expecting an upgrade, as the hotel had been showing as sold out for many weeks in advance of New Year's.

On arrival, we made our way to the Gold Lounge to check-in. There were a few system glitches. Staying under my wife's ALL account this time, the booking (made directly off the hotel website) was showing in her account on the app and website, but they somehow didn't register that she was an ALL member for the stay. Gotta love Accor IT! They managed to add her member number, and gave us drink vouchers, but I still had to follow up with the hotel after check-out to get them to manually post her points. I half expected a problem with points, when the invoice on checkout listed her name, and said "Unknown" in the address below it! In any case, one e-mail to the Gold concierge, and the points were in her account 30 minutes later. But, will Accor ever fix their systems?

We were given a nice room on the top floor. There was no Welcome Amenity when we entered the room, but after returning from appetizers in the lounge, the amenity did make its way to the room without having to ask.

Here are some photos of the room.

The Gold lounge was nicely decorated for Christmas, but nothing over-the-top like in the main lobby (more on that later).

The appetizers were excellent every night, and fairly substantial. The menu changed daily, as usual, and here's an example from one evening.

Being New Year's, they were serving complimentary champagne in the lounge in the evening, and at breakfast in the morning.

Desserts were a bit different here. Instead of a buffet for dessert, they were plated and brought to the table by servers. Maybe they wanted to keep them chilled before serving, but they were excellent.

Here's a photo from the lounge. Nowhere near the amount of snow they had just a week earlier.

And here's a photo of the hotel from the park across the street.

We had dinner in Le Sam on New Year's Eve, and it never disappoints. We had a table on the terrasse area by the window, which I didn't get a photo of, but below are some photos of the main bar area of the restaurant.

If you're wondering why the restaurant looks so empty on a sold out New Year's Eve, it's because we were the last table seated, before the were stopping regular dinner service to set up the restaurant at 8PM for a big NYE party to start at 9PM, with dancers and other entertainment around the restaurant.

We also had drinks and snacks in the 1608 bar one evening.

But it's upon entering the hotel lobby, that you really know it's Christmas time. Why have several Christmas trees, when you have have several dozen of them!

I took a video walkthrough the long hallway of Christmas trees.

Overall, it was a great stay, in spite of the weather, and a few IT glitches. The service here is always great, and the staff were quick to fix any issues caused by the lack of a member number linked in the system. Lounge service was great. The room was comfortable. All meals were excellent.
SkyteamEP and EcotoneHR like this.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Jan 28, 2023 at 12:07 pm
Old Jan 28, 2023, 6:25 pm

Wow, I wish my stay had been in late December rather than mid-January, as originally planned. I will need to try it again shortly before X-Mas. Your Gold Lounge experience also makes me inclined to book a Gold room next time.

CanadaDH Out of curiosity, what is the Accor status of your wife? Just want to know your welcome amenity was for which level and how it compares to what we received last time for Diamond.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Wow, I wish my stay had been in late December rather than mid-January, as originally planned. I will need to try it again shortly before X-Mas. Your Gold Lounge experience also makes me inclined to book a Gold room next time.

CanadaDH Out of curiosity, what is the Accor status of your wife? Just want to know your welcome amenity was for which level and how it compares to what we received last time for Diamond.
She was Platinum, but because of the system issue not registering her status, I don't know if that's the same amenity we would have received if everything linked properly, or if that's just something the staff scrambled together after we alerted them to her missing status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.