Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Just got notice of this offer from SniqueAway for the Miramar.

Rates from:

Fairmont King - $229/night
Deluxe King - $249/night
Deluxed Oceanview King - $249/night

Available dates from now through the end of June and seems fairly competitive with pricing on the Fairmont site.

If anybody's interested please send me a PM for a referral link.
Old May 29, 2011, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Any recent stays at the Fairmont Santa Monica?

Btw, are the suites really as small as described on the website?

Tower Suite 485sq.ft.
Siganture Bungalow 305sq.ft. - 430sq.ft (305sq.ft. seems terribly small)

Any experience regarding suite upgrade certs at this property?
Old May 29, 2011, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Any recent stays at the Fairmont Santa Monica?

Btw, are the suites really as small as described on the website?

Tower Suite 485sq.ft.
Siganture Bungalow 305sq.ft. - 430sq.ft (305sq.ft. seems terribly small)

Any experience regarding suite upgrade certs at this property?
I haven't stayed yet.. but we have a reservation in early August for 4 nights..

We used a suite upgrade for the reservation to get the palisades suite.. and the suites range from the low end of 450ish up to 850 almost 900 sq ft.. I've put in a request for the upper end of the scale with a view.. see how it shakes when we check in..

We probably won't enjoy the property too much, as we're planning to go to Disneyland for the 3 days with the kids..
Old May 30, 2011, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
We used a suite upgrade for the reservation to get the palisades suite.. and the suites range from the low end of 450ish up to 850 almost 900 sq ft.. I've put in a request for the upper end of the scale with a view.. see how it shakes when we check in..
Good to hear one can use suite upgrade certs towards the Palisades suites. The suites look reasonably nice, though they don´t seem to have any balconies, do they?
Old May 30, 2011, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Good to hear one can use suite upgrade certs towards the Palisades suites. The suites look reasonably nice, though they don´t seem to have any balconies, do they?
Looks like the Bungalows have a patio you can walk out to.. the suites look like only windows..

http://www.fairmont.com/santamonica/...uitesIndex.htm

Common Amenities
All suites and specialty rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows offer the following amenities:

•Alarm clock-radio
•Bathrobes
•Bose® Wave radio
•42" LCD Flatscreen LG television with in-room pay movies and Express Check-Out
•Hair dryer
•Iron and ironing board
•Refreshment Center
•Safe (in-room)
•Telephone (Multi-line) with voice-mail
•In-Room Business Amenities:
◦High Speed Internet Access ($13.95 plus taxes per 24h period, free for members of Fairmont President's Club)
◦Speakerphone with voice-mail
◦Work desk

Amenities on Request
The following amenities may be available in selected suites and specialty rooms. Please indicate the request in your on-line reservation or ask one of our reservation agents.

•Crib
•Microwave
•Mini-refrigerator
•Rollaway Bed (additional cost of $25 per night)
•Sofabed

Please Note: No suites or specialty rooms offer whirlpools.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:32 am
Suspended

Currently at Fairmont Miramar..

We don't really use the hotel as we get up and go each morning.. to get to Disneyland..

We were placed in a first floor corner suite spacious one bedroom palisades category.. I'm pretty impressed with the hotel and the service is pretty good.. I think its nicely renovated.. wainscotting in the hall (old section of the hotel where we are staying at) is nice dark wood, with crown moldings.. very pleasing to my eye as our home is similar finishing..

My wife however, feels like the hotel is run down.. the carpets in the hotel room is old and needs replacing.. the furniture is soiled.. and she says she doesn't want to ever stay here again.. she would rather stay at the Newport and asked why I booked this hotel?

I wanted to be adventurous and check it out.. I've been wanting to check it out.. and I think that the hotel is fabulous.. great location.. the hotel is 100 years old and charming..

This morning my wife looks out the window.. she says, its a view of a road and parking lot.. didn't you ask for a nice room dear? I said, the hotel is sold out as far as the staff is telling me.. I did put in a request for the nicest view suite..

As far as I can tell.. the Fairmont Miramar does its own thing.. I was quite floored to find out that kids 5 and under do not receive their menu free at the restaurant.. when the waitress told me that this morning.. I just got up and left with the kids, and packed everyone in the van, my wife eventually followed.. went to Disneyland and we ate onsite there.. At the end of the day, I really don't know if we were bottom of the totem pole because of a sold out hotel, or management just stuck us on the lowest floor, with the worst view, in a substandard room.. I really can't tell, as I haven't seen the balance of their rooms and their condition..
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Currently at Fairmont Miramar..

We don't really use the hotel as we get up and go each morning.. to get to Disneyland..

We were placed in a first floor corner suite spacious one bedroom palisades category.. I'm pretty impressed with the hotel and the service is pretty good.. I think its nicely renovated.. wainscotting in the hall (old section of the hotel where we are staying at) is nice dark wood, with crown moldings.. very pleasing to my eye as our home is similar finishing..

My wife however, feels like the hotel is run down.. the carpets in the hotel room is old and needs replacing.. the furniture is soiled.. and she says she doesn't want to ever stay here again.. she would rather stay at the Newport and asked why I booked this hotel?

I wanted to be adventurous and check it out.. I've been wanting to check it out.. and I think that the hotel is fabulous.. great location.. the hotel is 100 years old and charming..

This morning my wife looks out the window.. she says, its a view of a road and parking lot.. didn't you ask for a nice room dear? I said, the hotel is sold out as far as the staff is telling me.. I did put in a request for the nicest view suite..

As far as I can tell.. the Fairmont Miramar does its own thing.. I was quite floored to find out that kids 5 and under do not receive their menu free at the restaurant.. when the waitress told me that this morning.. I just got up and left with the kids, and packed everyone in the van, my wife eventually followed.. went to Disneyland and we ate onsite there.. At the end of the day, I really don't know if we were bottom of the totem pole because of a sold out hotel, or management just stuck us on the lowest floor, with the worst view, in a substandard room.. I really can't tell, as I haven't seen the balance of their rooms and their condition..
That's the experience I had, got a suite in the old building. It wasn't ground floor at least, but wasn't stunning by any means. If I stayed again I would get a room in the new section vs a suite in the old section IMO.

Restaurent was very good though when I had lunch at it.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by will5404
That's the experience I had, got a suite in the old building. It wasn't ground floor at least, but wasn't stunning by any means. If I stayed again I would get a room in the new section vs a suite in the old section IMO.

Are the old rooms really that bad? (Haven´t been at the hotel, but am planning to go there this year) Would you be able to compare them with any other Fairmont?

Are all Pallisade rooms/suites "old"? Are the rooms/suites in the tower any better?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Are the old rooms really that bad? (Haven´t been at the hotel, but am planning to go there this year) Would you be able to compare them with any other Fairmont?

Are all Pallisade rooms/suites "old"? Are the rooms/suites in the tower any better?
Back home now.. I stayed there for 4 nights and while the rooms were nice.. the carpet was worn and falling apart.. the furniture was soiled.. but nice granite, features in the room like marble.. finishing was good..

Front desk manager asked for my feedback.. while I'm impressed with the hotel.. my wife wasn't.. and said to me that she never wants to return.. which is quite dissapointing, because I actually would like to return.. I like old character rooms.. I mentioned it was too bad that my ocean view request wasn't honored.. the manager said that due to occupancy, they were not able to accomodate..

I noted in my reservation request with Matthew my personal concierge at FPC reservations for the best view, and biggest room.. also subnotes is highest floor available, with the highest category at check in, and renovated.. this is with every hotel stay we've checked into for the past 7 or so years.. So perhaps a message is being sent to us, when we receive a room on the bottom floor? Or maybe rooms on the higher floors are more worn.. I can't be sure..

Has anyone ever received a suite in the new tower with ocean views?.. Is it an allusive draw that the hotel makes in the suite description, but never delivers on?.. that was the impression I received from the hotel manager I spoke to.. but I can't be quite sure..

Anyways.. doesn't matter.. as far as I'm concerned, the room met our needs.. We went Disney every day from bell to bell.. didn't eat at the restaurant or used their pool.. Last night (this morning) Just slept for an hour and a half.. we packed, got to the airport.. and jumped on the plane.

Good service, good staff.. again, the treatment of elite FPC members, are not sure of.. probably won't return for the forseeable future unless my wife changes her mind..
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
As someone that used to live in Malibu, I love the location of the Miramar. That said, the hotel is in demand in itself so I don't think has found a need to take care of the Fairmont elites.

I've been upgraded before but never to the towers. Only the older portion. The hotel does need some work. For the rates, I'd choose the other Santa Monica hotels located on Ocean.

The restaurant is exceptional.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
As someone that used to live in Malibu, I love the location of the Miramar. That said, the hotel is in demand in itself so I don't think has found a need to take care of the Fairmont elites.

I've been upgraded before but never to the towers. Only the older portion. The hotel does need some work. For the rates, I'd choose the other Santa Monica hotels located on Ocean.

The restaurant is exceptional.
I share the same sentiment.. the hotel has been around for a hundred years, and seems like there is very strong following of customers..

There is no urgency to take care of Fairmont elites here at this hotel it seems.. in other words, requests for room type upgrades will likely fall of deft ears.. at least the attitude of the hotel seems that way..

Very nice hotel.. I give a Maestro thumbs up.. I still don't get why Mrs. Maestro won't go back..
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Did a three night stay in ocean view tower suite during June. Clean and comfortable outweighed the smallishness of a 485 SQ FT suite. It was nice enough to return six weeks later on a same day reservation. Hotel pretty sold out and had booked an ocean view room. Totally unhappy with room. Offered bungalow with a very nice bathroom for no added charge. I know when a FD clerk says "very nice" it is really a warning. Well, it was a 305 SQ FT variety of bungalow complete with horrible bath area. Unacceptable and we walked after extracting a "we'll do better" next time from some kind of manager.....in writing. Found free street parking a few blocks away.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hedoman
Did a three night stay in ocean view tower suite during June. Clean and comfortable outweighed the smallishness of a 485 SQ FT suite. It was nice enough to return six weeks later on a same day reservation. Hotel pretty sold out and had booked an ocean view room. Totally unhappy with room. Offered bungalow with a very nice bathroom for no added charge. I know when a FD clerk says "very nice" it is really a warning. Well, it was a 305 SQ FT variety of bungalow complete with horrible bath area. Unacceptable and we walked after extracting a "we'll do better" next time from some kind of manager.....in writing. Found free street parking a few blocks away.
I was wondering about the bungalows.. steps off of the Fig restaurant with some landscaping in the front entry ways..

Good that found some free street parking.. Our 4 nights cost us $33 plus tax per night.. We usually park valet or self parking within Fairmont offerings anyway.. But good to know some make it a point to park offsite..
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold

Well in the old building, the suite had small windows that were very dirty when I was there. In general the room just wasn't very impressive, and felt like it wasn't really taken care of properly. I would avoid all the suites in the old building IMO.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:39 pm
Suspended

Well in the old building, the suite had small windows that were very dirty when I was there. In general the room just wasn't very impressive, and felt like it wasn't really taken care of properly. I would avoid all the suites in the old building IMO.
Didn't really look at the window trim.. but I did immediately notice that the carpets were worn and coming apart, the furniture was soiled.. and the bathtub.. I don't know if its a bit of a pet peeve was ceramic and chipped.. and the plug was in.. so when lifting the plug, you could see the rust on the plug parts.. had to put it by the wayside..

Only one bathroom.. so a bit crowded. Showering in a bathtub with kids, please use caution..

Otherwise.. the baby kit in the crib was a nice touch..^

and the plushies too.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.