Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Washington, D.C.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by rfrost
Thanks for the report on Juniper--I was thinking of using my Passion cert there, but I think now I'll skip it.

For future reference, there are several very good restaurants closer than (and better than most in) Georgetown--I'd recommend Blue Duck Tavern across the street in the PH and West End Bistro and Ris in the nearby Ritz-Carlton.
Obviously, this is one persons experience on one night... But I would recommend using your cert elsewhere. My guess is that there are much better restaurants within the Fairmont chain.

I was thinking I will probably try the Park Hyatt on my next visit, I do like this area. I will be sure to dine at the Blue Duck Tavern. Thank you.

The Westin also looked nice - has anybody eaten at their restaurant Dusk?

edit to add:

I was recounting my stay to a friend when I recalled another aspect of the hotel that I really enjoyed: The lobby bar / lounge. The bar itself is tiny, only 8 seats I think. However, there is a large lounge area adjacent to it with very comfortable chairs and couches for seating. The bartender was very friendly, tried to talk me in to a BeeTini (made with honey from you know where ), but I stuck with a reliable and good cold Stella draft. The piano player on Saturday night (I did not catch his name) was exceptional as well. Very talented. It was quite nice to sit here for 45 minutes (yes, alone) and have a drink, watch the people go by, and enjoy the music.

Last edited by LarkSFO; Nov 21, 2011 at 9:24 am Reason: lobby bar / lounge
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

I was thinking I will probably try the Park Hyatt on my next visit, I do like this area. I will be sure to dine at the Blue Duck Tavern. Thank you.

The Westin also looked nice - has anybody eaten at their restaurant Dusk?
The Park Hyatt is one of my favorite hotels in that area when I come back to DC (used to live in DC).
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I'm staying at the Fairmont Washington, D.C. next week but I've never stayed there so I had a couple of questions...

I'm arriving at around 23:30 into DCA... is it easy to walk to the hotel from Foggy Bottom Metro with a bag or am I better off taking a cab?

I still have all 4 $25 Plat spa/dining certs to burn... I'm in LA quite often so I thought of using them at FIG (which I quite like) but how is the Juniper Restaurant for lunch? If it isn't that good I'd rather burn my certs in Santa Monica where I already know I like the food.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Santander
I'm staying at the Fairmont Washington, D.C. next week but I've never stayed there so I had a couple of questions...

I'm arriving at around 23:30 into DCA... is it easy to walk to the hotel from Foggy Bottom Metro with a bag or am I better off taking a cab?

I still have all 4 $25 Plat spa/dining certs to burn... I'm in LA quite often so I thought of using them at FIG (which I quite like) but how is the Juniper Restaurant for lunch? If it isn't that good I'd rather burn my certs in Santa Monica where I already know I like the food.

Thanks in advance.
The walk from Metro is not that far, maybe 10 minutes. If you do walk, you head up past the hospital, go about 1/3 of the way around the traffic circle clockwise, then get on 24th and go a couple blocks. I find the area safe no matter the time, but I am a bit of a big oaf.

We have found the food at Juniper quite good. I think using certs there was good value for us.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by drwilliams
The walk from Metro is not that far, maybe 10 minutes. If you do walk, you head up past the hospital, go about 1/3 of the way around the traffic circle clockwise, then get on 24th and go a couple blocks. I find the area safe no matter the time, but I am a bit of a big oaf.
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. ^
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Santander

Thanks in advance.
The last train departs DCA at 11:57pm on weeknights (2:45am on Friday & Saturday nights), so keep that in mind if you're arriving on a weeknight.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
The last train departs DCA at 11:57pm on weeknights (2:45am on Friday & Saturday nights), so keep that in mind if you're arriving on a weeknight.
Ended up getting delayed on the flight from PHL (but not quite enough for Amtrak to be an option) and missed the Metro anyway.

I only stayed one night and didn't spend much time in the hotel, but it was fantastic. I stayed in a Capital Corner suite (last chance to burn 2012 suite upgrade certs...) and I only wish I could expense that kind of room all the time! The only weird thing was that the suite came with a 3-piece bathroom... a bit surprising considering the rest of the room.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:03 pm

trip review

Spent 11 nights here in august. Must say it was an excellent stay. The Fairmont room was nicely appointed, bed comfortable and quiet in the evenings. Large desk with charging station and internet for work. Comfy chair with ottoman and side table. This is mostly a business hotel and it shows in the people you run into at the evening lounge and the morning elevator rush.

Arrived at noon and check-in was smooth. Valet brought up my three display boxes without complaint (they were all older fellows - at least older than I am). Valet parking was 45$ per night. I did see all sorts of street parking available and one could work out a schedule to avoid charges by paying the meter at 7 am.

I found the location excellent: away from the White House, National Mall but within 30 minutes walking. George Washington University was just 2 blocks south, Georgetown restaurant and shopping only 5 blocks west over the bridge. Lots of places to eat. Most mornings, I found myself at the Whole Foods( two blocks south, three blocks east) for a quick and inexpensive grab and go breakfast.

The hotel is quite large within an non-descript building. Juniper restaurant took up the south-west face of the building with the hotel main entrance on 24th street. A small bar operated directly off the entrance, opposite the front desk. Plenty lounge seating for drinks and small nibbles. The small plates menu was really good. I must admit Juniper was not good the one night I tried it. The menu is exhaustive and it may be trying too hard to be all things to all diners. Really, across the road at the Hyatt restaurant: the Blue Duck was head and shoulders, a better dining experience.

All staff were professional and friendly. Valets were eager to arrange cabs and very eager to give directions once they found out I was walking! I found Washington very walkable. Dupont Circle, National Mall, Georgetown all reasonable distances.

cleo
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Any recent stays here? I have 2 free nights to burn and am considering this property. I'm embarassed to say I've never been to DC and am looking at a long weekend, perhaps Labor Day (US-early Sept).
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Any recent stays here? I have 2 free nights to burn and am considering this property. I'm embarassed to say I've never been to DC and am looking at a long weekend, perhaps Labor Day (US-early Sept).
The hotel is in a good location right in between Georgetown and the downtown sites. The metro is just a few blocks away on the GW campus so you can get to just about any point in town easily. The hotel is nice, but nothing spectacular. We enjoy the lobby bar area. The bar itself is small, but they use the whole atrium area for seating, so you can relax on a couch and enjoy a drink after a long day of touring the many incredible FREE museums DC has to offer. We have received very good service from just about everyone we have come into contact with at the hotel. There are more impressive hotels (St Regis, Mandarin, etc), and there are more hip hotels (the W), but we are very happy with the Fairmont for being a quiet oasis close enough to the sites, but just far enough away from the hustle and bustle to enjoy some peace and quiet.

Edited to add: Even though we live in the area, we still make it down to the Fairmont a few times per year for a "stay cation" or stay here when we have events in town and don't want to drive back out to the 'burbs after dinner and drinks.

Last edited by FFMilesJunkie; Mar 28, 2014 at 2:18 pm
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's a fine hotel in a great location. We had a blast just walking around Embassy Row identifying flags and studying the architecture.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Thank you!

I also have a whole lot of food & gift cards to burn. How are the restaurants there?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Recent stay was quite nice on our 10th anniversary with one exception. Called and used certificate for room upgrade and requested champagne and strawberries with reservations. Willing to pay up front but operator indicated that staff typically does this gratis on special anniversary occasions. I explained that I was premier, not platinum yet, but close with one more stay. She indicated regardless, that for special occasions like this it will be taken care of. Unfortunately this wasn't taken care of and no acknowledgement made. During checkout I mentioned it and the front office rep apologized and did indicate that the note about the anniversary was in the reservation but was overlooked. I left it at that for the weekend overall was very nice otherwise seeing the sites and playing tourist.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Recent stay was excellent. Room/suite was enormous. Great location. Short walk to Georgetown and great restaurants and shopping
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I am a Platinum President's Club member.

Some Fairmont Hotels allow you lounge access for a "nominal" fee (esp the one in Chicago) without staying on the Gold Floor.

So, I want to take advantage of my Platinum benefits, including upgrading to a suite on a non-gold floor (of course, I know the Platinum upgrade benefits are useless when staying in the Gold Floor rooms) - and then getting lounge access. Anyone know if this hotel offers any type of access to the lounge in this manner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.