Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Washington, D.C.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by choptliva
I LOVE the Gold Floor here, so you might wish to see what the rates are, and see if you can use a cert to upgrade to a gold floor suite (I was told by a phone CSR that this is do-able, though I've never used it that way). In fact, I think for the last year, all our stays in DC have been on the gold floor. I highly recommend it.
There is no guarantee on certs to get to the gold floor printed on room/suite upgrades.. Did you get upgraded with your cert before? Is there a secret to this hotel for gold floors? Did they upgrade at check-in?^
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
There is no guarantee on certs to get to the gold floor printed on room/suite upgrades.. Did you get upgraded with your cert before? Is there a secret to this hotel for gold floors? Did they upgrade at check-in?^
No, you're right. As I said, I've never used the certs on the gold floors, since the standard rooms on GF are plenty good enough. But I was on the phone with a CSR and I specifically asked him, and he told me with no uncertainty that if I booked a GF room, then I can use a suite cert to upgrade to a suite on the GF if available.
But as I said, I never actually did it. That's just what the gentleman told me.

The GF rooms at Fairmont DC are very nicely done, and good-sized. Complete with DVD players and stuff. They even have a library of videos for viewing. I've only been upgraded once or twice on the GF itself, and that just made something very nice even nicer. The staff are very courteous and warm, and I like that very much (noticeably different from the absolute apathy at the RoyalYork GF).

So, no secrets, at least nothing I know about. Just very nice folks at a very nice property.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by choptliva
No, you're right. As I said, I've never used the certs on the gold floors, since the standard rooms on GF are plenty good enough. But I was on the phone with a CSR and I specifically asked him, and he told me with no uncertainty that if I booked a GF room, then I can use a suite cert to upgrade to a suite on the GF if available.
But as I said, I never actually did it. That's just what the gentleman told me.

The GF rooms at Fairmont DC are very nicely done, and good-sized. Complete with DVD players and stuff. They even have a library of videos for viewing. I've only been upgraded once or twice on the GF itself, and that just made something very nice even nicer. The staff are very courteous and warm, and I like that very much (noticeably different from the absolute apathy at the RoyalYork GF).

So, no secrets, at least nothing I know about. Just very nice folks at a very nice property.
Very well if this gentlemen told you over the phone that you book a gold room that you could get a suite on the gold floor.. I've heard of some hotels making exceptions to that before, but then without notice, it may not be offered anymore.. or maybe it was regular reservation agent spouting.. Worth a ask.. anybody else out there get upgraded to a suite at a Fairmont Hotel Gold Floor.?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM; US GP; Fairmont PL; HHonors DM; Hyatt GP Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Nice property, good location. Most importantly it is in a SAFE neighborhood. The area is quiet at night but is very close to the popular Georgetown & Dupont Circle areas. Close to the Metro, taxis are abundant. I used to live in DC and back there about 3-4 times/month.

The Fairmont is overshadowed by many other hotels as the area is flooded with quality hotels. The Northwest quadrant of DC is where everything really happens. As such, in a very small area, there are lots of very good hotels: Park Hyatt, St. Regis, Sofitel, JW Marriott, Four Seasons, 2 Ritz Carltons, multiple Hiltons, a brand new W, historic hotels such as the Williard or Hay Adams. This is not to mention the numerous boutique hotels. The options are endless.

This is just my personal opinion, but I save my upgrade certs for the "resorts" where lots of time will be spent doing "nothing". Whereas the "hotels" where all you really need is a bed and a place to shower and change because much of your time is spent exploring/wandering the city. Take a look at the various hotel options and book the hotel with the best rate. Save the cert for another trip.
^^
I completely agree with AndyTLe on his eval of this property. I logged about30 nights there last year and, admittedly, that familiarity probably earned me some extra TLC. But I have to tell you that the location, service, room quality & amenities are all top drawer. The front desk and conciege staff are incredibly friendly & attentive and seem very highly motivated to make your stay memorable. From time to time, they have even reached out to other Fairmont properties and greased the skids for me, resulting in some really amazing attention and upgrades. I have been in a variety of room types (but never yet have made it onto the Gold Floor) and agree that the "Standard" rooms are more than sufficient for me -- unless I am travelling with Mrs. Fly'nGyn and the little nippers, too. The health club is windowless & subterrainian but is as well equipped with cardio and strentgh training equipment as our local "mega-sized Gucci YMCA".

I love the Fairmont Washington and consider it one of my favorite "big city" stays.
^^
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Anybody stay in the Capital Suite yet? How is it?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Anybody stay in the Capital Suite yet? How is it?
It's nice and spacious - a bit of an odd layout, and an old bathtub which I didn't like. Mine had a clogged drain overflow thing so I ended up making a big mess all over the floor.

I stayed the night before at the Park Hyatt across the street which is brand new - beautiful rooms and amenities, and fantastic restaurants. If it weren't for the NFAF rate I would have stayed at the PH.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeyyz
It's nice and spacious - a bit of an odd layout, and an old bathtub which I didn't like. Mine had a clogged drain overflow thing so I ended up making a big mess all over the floor.

I stayed the night before at the Park Hyatt across the street which is brand new - beautiful rooms and amenities, and fantastic restaurants. If it weren't for the NFAF rate I would have stayed at the PH.
NFAF is a good draw.. I've had numerous issues over the years in rooms and suites.. The newer hotels are a bit of a draw to experience bling bling! and no issues.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:44 pm

How is the location of this place for a first time visitor to DC? Would we better off at the Westin or Liaison Capital Hill (cheaper by abt $30/night)? Might book on the latest Great Rates rate.
Old May 5, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by abcx
How is the location of this place for a first time visitor to DC? Would we better off at the Westin or Liaison Capital Hill (cheaper by abt $30/night)? Might book on the latest Great Rates rate.
It is not right at the Mall or anything, but rather near Georgetown. Having said that, we have no problem walking everywhere from the Fairmont, all the way to Library of Congress (near Union Station) at the other end. I actually like the fact that it's not right near the Mall and stuff, but still close enough. Caveat: we like walking around a lot.

So I guess it depends on how close you want to be to the museums and stuff.
Old May 5, 2010, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by abcx
Assuming you're in DC to do the typical tourist sites.

Given the choices you've posted, based on location, I'd go with the Liaison then Westin then Fairmont. The Liasion is in a super location (Corner of D St and New Jersey Ave). As you can see on the map, it is well located and you're close to Union Station which can get you EVERY where you need to go. The Fairmont is right on the upper left of the map (25th and M St), Westin is at the center top edge (14th and M St).

Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM; US GP; Fairmont PL; HHonors DM; Hyatt GP Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
Back again for another stay.....goodness knows I love this hotel!!

Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Great.. Anyone wants a free upgrade at Fairmont Washington DC.. I have a contact down there.. Just PM me
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:19 pm

Great.. Anyone wants a free upgrade at Fairmont Washington DC.. I have a contact down there.. Just PM me
I'm staying there April 30-May 2. I'm staying there right after my wedding day. Do you still have that contact?
Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:23 pm

I am here for a one night stay on my own…

I decided to ‘public transport’ from the airport (Dulles), reducing my carbon footprint and all… $10 and 45 minutes later (wait plus bus) the Washington Flyer had me to the Falls Church metro stop. $3.65 and 6 or 7 stops on the Orange line towards New Carrollton and exit Foggy Bottom. Then a 3 ˝ block walk up 24th to the Fairmont. I had a roll aboard bag which made the trek a little less enjoyable. Total elapsed time a little less than 2 hours. I’m glad I did it, probably take a car back to the airport though.

Pleasant check in. Room on the 8th floor facing 24th Street. Nice sized room with a king, desk, chair and ottoman. Bathroom OK, no separate shower and the bathtub / shower does have a curtain. Usual extremely comfortable bed, pillows and linens. The beds / bedding are one of the things I really like so far about Fairmont. Free internet 2.6 Mbps download, 5.91 upload. Interesting. Subsequent tests inconsistent. Seemed plenty fast for my simple needs.

4 block walk to Georgetown bar / restaurant area. Lots of night life on a Saturday night. Does seem ‘safe’ both to walk there, and once you are in Georgetown area.

I had dinner at Juniper in the Fairmont which was disappointing. I arrived and nobody at the hostess stand. Walked all the way through the restaurant (It’s not that big) and back to the hostess stand and still nobody. Stood there for another 2 or 3 minutes and finally somebody came out of somewhere to seat me. Restaurant nearly empty, 4 total tables including me seated. Just two people working the dining room, waiter and busboy. I had the prix fixe menu for $38 plus $10 for a glass of Pinot, $7 for a Stella, and $5 for a cup of coffee. Total with tip $78. Bread basket was weird. Flatbread – the really crunchy stuff – very sweet corn muffins, and a log of something that was the most bread like. Crab Bisque starter was pretty flavorless and more watery than I would expect from a bisque. Chicken and dumpling entree (it had a fancier name than that, and it was fancier) was OK, but again lacking flavor. Dumplings were undercooked and really doughy. The mushrooms under the chicken were really the best part of this concoction. With the waiters advice, I chose the honey dessert (they are proud to tell you, multiple times in the bar and restaurant that they have a bee hive on the roof). This dessert did not meet my expectations either. The honey cake was gross. I don’t know what you are supposed to do with fresh honeycomb, but I tried a small bite and was cleaning wax out of my teeth for an hour after dinner. The propolis ice cream was OK, the one bite that was served. Service was professional and attentive throughout the meal, while not being obtrusive. There was a man and woman seated next to me, and I heard him say to his partner: ‘This is a restaurant for 80 year olds, so stuffy and formal.’ (and expensive, for well to do 80 year olds. ) As Lucky said in a recent hotel review: I am probably not their target demographic, and regretted my choice to dine here. Especially after I walked down to Georgetown center and saw all the nice looking restaurants there…

2:00 AM in the morning the wedding reception that was downstairs let out and they were very loud for about 10 minutes, seemingly right outside my door. Soon enough they all slammed their doors (at least that is what it sounded like) and I was able to fall back to sleep.

Overall, I did enjoy this hotel. Location is good, neighborhood is safe, staff friendly, professional and courteous.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

I had dinner at Juniper in the Fairmont which was disappointing. I arrived and nobody at the hostess stand. Walked all the way through the restaurant (It’s not that big) and back to the hostess stand and still nobody. Stood there for another 2 or 3 minutes and finally somebody came out of somewhere to seat me. Restaurant nearly empty, 4 total tables including me seated. Just two people working the dining room, waiter and busboy. I had the prix fixe menu for $38 plus $10 for a glass of Pinot, $7 for a Stella, and $5 for a cup of coffee. Total with tip $78. Bread basket was weird. Flatbread – the really crunchy stuff – very sweet corn muffins, and a log of something that was the most bread like. Crab Bisque starter was pretty flavorless and more watery than I would expect from a bisque. Chicken and dumpling entree (it had a fancier name than that, and it was fancier) was OK, but again lacking flavor. Dumplings were undercooked and really doughy. The mushrooms under the chicken were really the best part of this concoction. With the waiters advice, I chose the honey dessert (they are proud to tell you, multiple times in the bar and restaurant that they have a bee hive on the roof). This dessert did not meet my expectations either. The honey cake was gross. I don’t know what you are supposed to do with fresh honeycomb, but I tried a small bite and was cleaning wax out of my teeth for an hour after dinner. The propolis ice cream was OK, the one bite that was served. Service was professional and attentive throughout the meal, while not being obtrusive. There was a man and woman seated next to me, and I heard him say to his partner: ‘This is a restaurant for 80 year olds, so stuffy and formal.’ (and expensive, for well to do 80 year olds. ) As Lucky said in a recent hotel review: I am probably not their target demographic, and regretted my choice to dine here. Especially after I walked down to Georgetown center and saw all the nice looking restaurants there…

2:00 AM in the morning the wedding reception that was downstairs let out and they were very loud for about 10 minutes, seemingly right outside my door. Soon enough they all slammed their doors (at least that is what it sounded like) and I was able to fall back to sleep.

Overall, I did enjoy this hotel. Location is good, neighborhood is safe, staff friendly, professional and courteous.

Thanks for the report on Juniper--I was thinking of using my Passion cert there, but I think now I'll skip it.

For future reference, there are several very good restaurants closer than (and better than most in) Georgetown--I'd recommend Blue Duck Tavern across the street in the PH and West End Bistro and Ris in the nearby Ritz-Carlton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.