Belmont Vancouver MGallery

Old Nov 20, 2021, 3:17 am
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
Belmont Vancouver MGallery

I am looking for a possible vacations in Vancouver and this hotel caught my eyes, it is quite cheap compared to the Fairmont or Hilton alternative (760 EUR for 7 nights on a base rate). Is there any experiences, comments about this specific hotel ?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: *G (as are spouse and 2 kids), ACCOR ALL DIAMOND, Marriott - GE
Thumbs up Accor as of 01 Dec 2021 - currently a Choice Hotel until then

https://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2021/1...l-belmont.html

In writing our post yesterday about the new ALL Accor Live Limitless triple points offer we came across a new hotel in the listing of Accor properties in Canada. That hotel is the Hotel Belmont Vancouver MGallery. Right now the Hotel Belmont Vancouver shows as an Ascend Collection hotel from Choice Hotels but from what we can tell that will change on December 1st when the hotel moves over to Accor as part of their MGallery brand. MGallery is Accor's boutique hotel division with over 100 locations in 30 countries. The hotel is the second MGallery hotel in North America with the other being in Miami and it is the first non Fairmont Accor Hotel in Canada outside of Ontario and Quebec.
Definitely something different in the Accor group in Vancouver - hotel looks chic and entertaining/fun - entertainment district.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:19 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
The Belmont use to be a Choce Hotel, if I am not mistaken. Regardless of the name it is not a nice place to stay

Absolutely an area you do not want to stay in. On the corner of Granville and Smithe, right in the center of the entertainment district. This area is mostly drunks, druggies, and homeless. Stay away
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:50 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

I read reviews of the hotel and decided not to book it. The reviews are mixed, there are positive and negatives. The location was listed as good (although some pointed out that there are panhandlers), however very noisy and it seems to be a real problem. The hotel attracts mostly party goers, so noise during nights. Also the room are not that big. I will spend 7 nights so would like a room I can relax in with a sofa. So I booked the Hilton. Less unique and more soulless but all rooms are suite and it seemed quieter.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: ALL Accor - Platinum
Really glad to see a new brand for Accor in Vancouver. With 4 Fairmonts (the most for any city in the world) and nothing else right now, it'll be nice to have something that isn't at the luxury price point!
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by beefyT
Really glad to see a new brand for Accor in Vancouver. With 4 Fairmonts (the most for any city in the world) and nothing else right now, it'll be nice to have something that isn't at the luxury price point!
Maybe. But if the location is as bad as @sfo says, then is it really much of an option? I guess that explains the cheap price. Maybe if a local is looking to rack up cheap night credits, they can check-in, pay for the stay, and then leave!

But I'm not sure I would agree that the Fairmont options in Vancouver are only at luxury price points. The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver has base rooms in the ~$250+tax/night range off season. Heck, you can get a renovated Fairmont Gold Suite (750 square feet) for below $500/night. It might not be 5* like the Fairmont Pacific Rim, but I think it's a pretty good value option.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:38 pm
sfo

McGallery Hotel Belmont

Now in Vancouver. Located in an edgy part of downtown, "the entertainment district?"near the drunks, homeless and druggies, so yes I guess there is entertainment if you want to walk the streets at night. This hotel has nothing to offer but rooms, a bar and a restaurant. There are no balconies, no gym, no swimming pool, no hot tub, nada, nothing and yet it has the nerve to charge a "resort fee." Prices are not inexpensive for what you get This use to be a Choice Hotel, and before that one of some dubious quality. Too many other choices in better areas if your looking for an Accor Hotel in Vancouver. Three Fairmont's downtown and one at the airport.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:19 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by sfo
Now in Vancouver. Located in an edgy part of downtown, "the entertainment district?"near the drunks, homeless and druggies, so yes I guess there is entertainment if you want to walk the streets at night. This hotel has nothing to offer but rooms, a bar and a restaurant. There are no balconies, no gym, no swimming pool, no hot tub, nada, nothing and yet it has the nerve to charge a "resort fee." Prices are not inexpensive for what you get This use to be a Choice Hotel, and before that one of some dubious quality. Too many other choices in better areas if your looking for an Accor Hotel in Vancouver. Three Fairmont's downtown and one at the airport.
Don't like the location? Don't stay there. It might have a different target audience than la de da Fairmonts. On the resort fees this seems to be a North American scam at almost all hotels these days, sometimes called resort fees, sometimes urban experience fees, all the same scam. They have nothing to do with what's on offer and only exist to obscure the total rate. I had hope that the Marriott court case would have been a wake up call for others but apparently not.
Goldorak and SullyofDoha like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:50 am
sfo

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Don't like the location? Don't stay there. It might have a different target audience than la de da Fairmonts. On the resort fees this seems to be a North American scam at almost all hotels these days, sometimes called resort fees, sometimes urban experience fees, all the same scam. They have nothing to do with what's on offer and only exist to obscure the total rate. I had hope that the Marriott court case would have been a wake up call for others but apparently not.
I don't need to stay there as I live in Vancouver, The post is a warning to other Accor members that might consider it. As for the other la de da Fairmonts if you don't like la de da there are plenty of other nice hotels that are not la de da to stay in even if they are not Accor.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Sorry, but what "la de da" means ?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:20 am
sfo

Smile

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Sorry, but what "la de da" means ?
Click the link and you can read the Webster's dictionaly meaning. There are many Accor members that would fit the description that Webster's dictionary defines as la de da :-)
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:06 pm
sfo

forgot to add the link

La-di-da Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
Old May 9, 2022, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

I spend some time at the hotel without spending the night (basically some time at the bar and asked to see a room). I think this hotel can be really problematic to the traveller unaware : there is a club on the ground floor. The music is very loud and can be heard as high as the third floor. The room in the second floor I visited was throbbing with the bass.
The location problems are already described above (although I do not think it is unsafe). The rooms are tiny.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.