Programs: Accor ALL Platinum, Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum
Mercure Rhodes Alexia

Mercure Rhodes Alexia

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Mercure Rhodes Alexia

Orfanidou 54 Rhodes, GR 851000

Mercure Rhodes Alexia (41 Photos)

Mercure Rhodes Alexia

For this year's summer holidays I opted for the Mercure Rhodes Alexia hotel which was opened in June 2021 after renovations. There were some works still going on when I was there in August, but only on the facade (they were putting Mercure logos onto the building).

H01.jpg

H02.jpg

H03.jpg

H04.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, the immediate surroundings look a bit sketchy, but it's not dangerous by any means. There are some strip clubs down the road, but the area is fine. There are also quite a few derelict buildings around, which ruin the fun somewhat, but it's not the hotel's fault. This street does look a little run down, but all the other streets are completely normal, so it's not really a problem.

Check In

So, prior to my arrival, I contacted the guest relations manager with my one request. I had booked a Privilege Sea View room and I specifically asked NOT to be upgraded to a Junior Suite (more on that later), but to have a Privilege room on the top floor, at the end of the hallway, away from the elevator and the noise inside the hotel. I'm happy to report that this was all granted and I was very happy with the room.

I took a taxi from the airport and was at the hotel in about 20 minutes. Check-in was quick and good. What I really liked is that this hotel does care about the guests' requests and elite members. The receptionist had a list of the arriving guests on her desk and I could see "Accor Live Limitless Gold" next to my name and "Late check-out" (even though I hadn't requested it) and next to other people's names were things like "honeymoon" and " Mrs X's birthday on X August" etc. This immediately left a very good impression.

The lobby is very nice and the AC is on full blast there.

H05.jpg

H06.jpg

H07.jpg

H08.jpg

H09.jpg

H10.jpg

H11.jpg

By the way, this hotel has the nicest staff, especially at the front desk! Amazing people, friendly and polite. I can't praise them enough.

Room

The room is not huge, but large enough. The bed was comfortable and all the amenities were there. There is a smart TV so you can connect your smartphone to it and watch YouTube or Netflix on the TV (because the channels are not that great, to be honest).

R01.jpg

R02.jpg

R03.jpg

R04.jpg

R041.jpg

R05.jpg

Minibar is free in the Privilege room (or rather, included in the price). The items were not replaced every day for some inexplicable reason, but every other day. Maybe they simply forgot. It wasn't a big deal, it was only soft drinks anyway.

R06.jpg

R07.jpg

The safe is opened by a key (I haven't seen that in ages). 

R08.jpg

There is a balcony from which you have a nice view of the sea and the ugly buildings in front of it. :) The sunsets are really beautiful from up there.

R09.jpg

R10.jpg

R11.jpg

R12.jpg

Now for the reason that I didn't want to be upgraded to a Junior suite. It comes with a private plunge pool, which sounds good, but people complained on TripAdvisor that people threw cigarette butts and other things from their balconies into the plunge pools and that nobody cleaned them. This, coupled with the fact that Junior suites are on the ground floor and have no view whatsoever, made me decide against the upgrade.

I did take a photo of the plunge pools. The suites have their individual names, which is a nice touch.

R14.jpg

R15.jpg

R16.jpg

Bathroom

Bathroom is not huge, but it has everything you need. The toiletries are by Nuxe Paris and not the usual crap you find in Mercure hotels. :) Water pressure is fantastic! And there is no fear of flooding the bathroom when taking a shower.

B01.jpg

B02.jpg

B03.jpg

B04.jpg

B05.jpg

B06.jpg

Pool

There is also an outdoor pool, not huge, but good enough to cool down on a hot day (and they were all very hot!). There is a lobby bar which functions as a pool bar too. 

P01.jpg

P02.jpg

P03.jpg

Spa

There is no spa as such, I think, but you can have some treatments. I took a couple of photos just to give you an idea. The list is much longer. And I think there is a gym, but I didn't use it, so I can't help you there, sorry!

S01.jpg

S02.jpg

Loyalty treatment

I must say I was impressed by the welcome amenity. It was a box of local delicacies and quite generous (much better than what I receive in Sofitels, I'm sad to say). Everything was delicious.

W01.jpg

W02.jpg

Welcome drink voucher was funny because it was printed on an A4 paper. However, it was good for EVERYTHING on the drinks menu (impressive!) so we had some alcoholic cocktails.

W03.jpg

Dining

I didn't take any pictures of the breakfast, but it was a large selection with some unexpected items like Croque Monsieur. There was also an egg station where you could order omelettes, fried eggs etc. Lots of sweet stuff as well. No complaints whatsoever.

I'm not sure if you can have any other meals in the hotel restaurant, but there are hundreds of restaurants around the hotel so there is absolutely no need to eat in.

Location is great. Simple as that. Next to a beach, but this beach has huge waves, so it's not for everyone. However, there is another beach on the other side of the island ( it's just a 7 minute walk as the hotel is basically on the northern tip of the island), which is excellent.

There are hundreds of little shops and restaurants around the hotel. 

It's only a 10 minute walk to the harbour and 15 minutes max to the old town. It's also very easy to get to from the airport.

However, now we come to the only negative aspect of the hotel: the noise. The hotel is in a very noisy street. First of all, there is the noise of the waves (and not the gentle kind that lulls you to sleep). Then the noise from the bars around the hotel. But the worst is the traffic: motorbikes, scooters, cars, garbage trucks. They are so loud that there is no way you can sleep with the balcony door open. But if you close it, it gets impossibly hot in the room. So you need to have the AC on. It wasn't a problem for me, though, the AC is great and it has a sort of quiet mode so it doesn't disturb you when you sleep, but still does the job. Or maybe earplugs could help.

This wasn't a huge problem for me, even though I don't really like sleeping with the AC on, but I wanted to mention it because it might be a dealbreaker for some.

Overall

Overall I was very happy at this hotel and the price was great: just 92 EUR a night. The room was cosy and the staff incredible. If I went to Rhodes again, I wouldn't think twice about going back to this hotel. Recommended!

Mercure Rhodes Alexia

Would you like to write a review on the Mercure Rhodes Alexia?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks for the nice review EcotoneHR
I understand your choice for not being upgraded. From your pictures, I don't like those plunge pools on the ground floor
EcotoneHR and hotel_user like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 6:33 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum, Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum
Forgot to mention that points and nights posted just 5 hours after check-out! (Usually it takes about 2 days in my experience)
Old Sep 18, 2021, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
This looks like a good place to stay, thanks for the report. Rhodes has needed somewhere decent that's outside 'package tour land' for quite some time.
EcotoneHR likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 12:17 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Thank you for the review. You would have thought that the architect / designer would have realised this problem and moved the "pools" higher.
Your pictures give a good idea of the hotel - ( almost in the Goldorak league in number lol ). I prefer to see a picture more than 1000 words. Your review is 100% for me.
EcotoneHR likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by hotel_user
Your pictures give a good idea of the hotel - ( almost in the Goldorak league in number lol ). I prefer to see a picture more than 1000 words. Your review is 100% for me.
LOL
hotel_user likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:36 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The hotel must have been closed when I visited Rhodes fairly recently. As I was meeting a friend who lives on the island I took the plunge and stayed at a small pension in the old town. It was charming and right in the middle of the old town, so reeked atmosphere. There was a cruise ship in port (which dominates the skyline at that end of town) and they do crowd the main drag, but they don't wander one block either side so finding an empty restaurant was easy. The old town is difficult for hauling bags to the hotel as taxis can only go so far into the old town as much is pedestrianised.
I will give this property a go when I revisit Rhodes as I was totally charmed by the place; the drop and flop brigade tend to stay at concrete boxes out of town, so the town didn't seem to be swamped.
Thanks for the post as I wasn't aware of an Accor property on the island. It should suit my needs perfectly on my next visit.
Dover2Golf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.