FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Gold to Silver (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/2032275-gold-silver.html)

sfo Jan 11, 2021 1:52 pm

Gold to Silver

Have been gold for many years. Now that I have not been able to travel much due to the virus I will loose my gold status at year end.
After looking at the difference between gold and silver, I find that I would only lose one benefit, early check in. Most of my stays are at Ibis or ibis Styles, not much chance of upgrades and the amenity offered if any is of little or no consequence to me.
The earnings ratio is huge when one considers 10 nights for silver 30 for gold.
This will be my last year as gold, silver will do me fine. Since I have over 36,000 reward points, I am not to concerned about earning more, I will take what I get as silver and continue to enjoy my stays at Ibis.

markis10 Jan 11, 2021 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 32959941)
Have been gold for many years. Now that I have not been able to travel much due to the virus I will loose my gold status at year end.
After looking at the difference between gold and silver, I find that I would only lose one benefit, early check in. Most of my stays are at Ibis or ibis Styles, not much chance of upgrades and the amenity offered if any is of little or no consequence to me.
The earnings ratio is huge when one considers 10 nights for silver 30 for gold.
This will be my last year as gold, silver will do me fine. Since I have over 36,000 reward points, I am not to concerned about earning more, I will take what I get as silver and continue to enjoy my stays at Ibis.

Have you considered the Ibis business card which would restore your Gold Status and probably pay for itself?

sfo Jan 11, 2021 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 32959996)
Have you considered the Ibis business card which would restore your Gold Status and probably pay for itself?

90 euros, which is not bad to retain Gold for the year that's about CAD $140.00 at today's exchange rate. I will have to think about this, it might work, I take it there are no minimum or maximum qualifying nights attached to this.

Fims Jan 12, 2021 12:42 am

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 32960167)
90 euros, which is not bad to retain Gold for the year that's about CAD $140.00 at today's exchange rate. I will have to think about this, it might work, I take it there are no minimum or maximum qualifying nights attached to this.

Yep, no minimum nights required. In some countries this fee covers 2 years actually even.

maisondubonheur Jan 12, 2021 1:06 am

You only need 15 nights to re-qualify to Gold in 2021....for 2022....not that hard!

Easytravel Jan 12, 2021 2:27 am

Originally Posted by maisondubonheur (Post 32961106)
You only need 15 nights to re-qualify to Gold in 2021....for 2022....not that hard!

IBIS card is an option. 15 night doesn't look a lot, but if you have no Accor hotels nearby and your country doesn't allow you to travel. Then 15 nights can be impossible to obtain.
@sfo maybe Accor will renew the status again at the end of the year with the current problems.

patrickw Jan 12, 2021 4:54 am

Since you mentioned that you mainly stay in ibis or ibis Styles, the extra 5% or 10% discount on room rates would probably cover the cost of the business card quickly. This is on top of the usual member 5% discount.

beefyT Jan 12, 2021 10:02 am

OP, you're in Vancouver - stay at a Fairmont nearby and you'll get lots of benefits from being a gold status holder! The upgrades at check-in are typically 2 category upgrades in the Vancouver/Whistler/Victoria area.

sfo Jan 12, 2021 11:23 am

Thanks for the replies above. 15 nights to get gold in 2022, is not difficult if you live in an area where there are Accor hotels. The Fairmonts in Vancouver are expensive. I do have a reservation at the Vancouver Fairmont, the cheapest of the them all for one night in April to keep my points from expiring in March of 22.
As for the post about upgrades etc with my gold at the Vancouver Fairmont, I have no thought of staying there, will check in, go home and come back in the morning to check out. I am only a 15 minute walk away. Until this pandemic is under control I have no thoughts of staying at any hotel, regardless of what they indicate they are doing to keep the hotel safe from the virus.

Now my though is, to cancel this reservation and hold off until closer to the end of the year, as I plan to travel to Germany in late Nov/Dec where I could earn my points much cheaper than spending one night at the Fairmont. CAD $229.00 incl tax. If worse comes to worse, I could always rebook the Vancouver stay for Nov or Dec as I will know my plans by then.

One question on purchasing the business gold card. Should it be purchased at the beginning of the new year or if purchased in say April, is valid until the following April?

fifty_two Jan 13, 2021 2:29 am

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 32962244)
Thanks for the replies above. 15 nights to get gold in 2022, is not difficult if you live in an area where there are Accor hotels. The Fairmonts in Vancouver are expensive

No other accor hotels in vancouver ???

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 32962244)
One question on purchasing the business gold card. Should it be purchased at the beginning of the new year or if purchased in say April, is valid until the following April?

its one year from the date you purchased the card

CanadaDH Jan 13, 2021 8:17 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two (Post 32964123)
No other accor hotels in vancouver ???

There are 4 Fairmont hotels in Vancouver, and 1 in Whistler. No other Accor brands that I'm aware of. Canada has about 20 Fairmonts, but not much else in the portfolio.

For lower-end properties, there are 3 Novotels in the Toronto area, 1 Novotel in Ottawa, 2 Novotels and a Sofitel in Montreal. That's it.

sfo Jan 13, 2021 8:34 am

Thanks for purchase info. I will probably purchase one for 2022 since I have gold for 2021, Will get it a few days before I leave for Europe.

NickB Jan 13, 2021 8:44 am

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 32964766)
Thanks for purchase info. I will probably purchase one for 2022 since I have gold for 2021, Will get it a few days before I leave for Europe.

Indeed, you have more or less a whole year to mull it over and review the situation in the light of where you will be at in a year's time.

sealsgod Jan 21, 2021 3:34 am

there have another way keep in gold if you stay in asia most. otherwise get the ibis card is a good choice