FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   You've been upgraded to the Mercure (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/2028793-youve-been-upgraded-mercure.html)

stimpy Nov 18, 2020 1:30 pm

You've been upgraded to the Mercure

This was a first for me. I have a cheap overnight reservation at Ibis Styles Part Dieu coming up. They called me to say I've been upgraded to the Mercure. The Ibis Styles appears to be open and taking reservations so I don't think this is a COVID thing. Weird, but I'll take it.

Concerto Nov 18, 2020 3:28 pm

I would have thought that ending up in the Mercure, any Mercure, was a downgrade, nothing else. I have yet to have a decent stay in a Mercure, although I am told that there is a family run one in Zurich that is really good.

I tell a lie, I did have one good stay in a Mercure last year, in Bridgewater, England. It's located on the main A38 through town and is new (that helps) and pretty decent.

sfvoyage Nov 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 32828893)
This was a first for me. I have a cheap overnight reservation at Ibis Styles Part Dieu coming up. They called me to say I've been upgraded to the Mercure. The Ibis Styles appears to be open and taking reservations so I don't think this is a COVID thing. Weird, but I'll take it.

Will you be losing your breakfast benefit that is included at Ibis Style, or is Mercure going to comp you breakfast, which is not normally included?

Maelstrom Nov 18, 2020 4:41 pm

The Ibis Styles appears to be open and taking reservations so I don't think this is a COVID thing. Weird, but I'll take it.

there have been reports on this forum where hotels that are "open" and selling rooms on the website are actually closed and just bumping all of their reservations to a nearby hotel.

Maelstrom Nov 18, 2020 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 32829102)
I would have thought that ending up in the Mercure, any Mercure, was a downgrade, nothing else. I have yet to have a decent stay in a Mercure, although I am told that there is a family run one in Zurich that is really good.

I tell a lie, I did have one good stay in a Mercure last year, in Bridgewater, England. It's located on the main A38 through town and is new (that helps) and pretty decent.

My experiences are similar - newly opened Mercures are certainly not bad. I have stayed in numerous newly opened Mercures and enjoyed them all. Older Mercures are definitely nothing to write home about.

beachmouse Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm

My impression of Mercure is that they're the catch-all/non-conforming brand for a property that's in a good location but doesn't really fit into one of the other Accor brand standards criteria . Kind of like what Hilton does with Doubletree but without the cookies, so it really can fall anywhere on the spectrum from lovely to terrible.

BinSabai Nov 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Mercure is certainly less predictible than Ibis Styles; the Mercure brand has hotels from very good to pretty lousy...

BinSabai Nov 18, 2020 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 32829102)

do you mean the Mercure Stoller Zurich? this was for long time a family owned hotel and has quite reasonable prices for Zurich

MSPeconomist Nov 18, 2020 9:02 pm

How do the locations compare for your purposes?

nrouxel Nov 18, 2020 11:40 pm

The Ibis Styles and the Mercure are in the same building (same owner). They are both quite new hotels. This Mercure is one of the best Mercure in France

Dog250 Nov 19, 2020 12:06 am

Same thing happened to me when I booked the Ibis Brussels Off Grand Place. I got upgraded to the Novotel.

Seems to be very common.

southlondonphil Nov 19, 2020 1:43 am

Likewise. Had an overnight booked at the Ibis Blackfriars in London, got moved to the Novotel in the other half of the building as the Ibis bit had been closed.

Front Desk comp'ed in breakfast at the Novotel, even though breakfast hadn't been included in my Ibis rate, but I had a breakfast meeting scheduled elsewhere so I couldn't use it

Where properties are co-located or very close by it probably makes sense right now to consolidate the limited number of bookings at the one location to reduce expenses

stimpy Nov 19, 2020 3:15 am

Originally Posted by nrouxel (Post 32829809)
The Ibis Styles and the Mercure are in the same building (same owner). They are both quite new hotels. This Mercure is one of the best Mercure in France

Yes this is the case. I think the rate at the Mercure is about 25 euros higher than the Ibis Styles. I didn't ask about breakfast. I'll find out this weekend.

As for Mercure, it's true that there are some bad ones in France, but I've found that in other countries they can be great. Even if they are 700 years old like this Mercure in England that I really enjoyed.

https://all.accor.com/hotel/6617/index.en.shtml

Concerto Nov 19, 2020 3:27 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 32829597)
do you mean the Mercure Stoller Zurich? this was for long time a family owned hotel and has quite reasonable prices for Zurich

Yes, the Mercure Stoller Zurich, very good apparently. I meant to edit my post and add that but forgot.

I've found most offending Mercures to be in England and have mostly avoided them in France.

Castleford Tiger Nov 19, 2020 4:20 am

During a trip to London last year I stayed at the Mercure Hyde Park and the Waldorf Hilton. The Mercure is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. I wont be going back to the Waldorf.

CT