Accor - account regularization

Old Oct 5, 20, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Use to be Platinum
Unhappy Accor - account regularization

Hi everyone…

I will be very brief and hope that someone responsible in Accor Organization can explain why they did what they did.
28/3/2019 +401 points earned
28/3/2019 +305 Accelerator: Platinum
26/6/2020 -64000 points spent in Mercure hotel
29/3/2020 -135657 Account Regularization...
Basically, dedication, huge amount of money, loyalty...regularized by taking away 135.657 points.

In the middle of COVID disaster, all points taken away without giving chance to a Platinum customer to keep being loyal member.

I truly hope that there is someone in Accor who will contact me and rectify this injustice.

Cheers...
Old Oct 5, 20, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You do realize that you have posted on a social media site?

If you want to contact Accor, you will need to contact Accor. If you want some advice as to how to approach Accor, it would be helpful for you to explain what you mean by "regualrization" and what happened.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Oct 5, 20, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
First, welcome to Flyertalk.
Sorry for your problem, but I have to admit I am not sure I understood it. I have the feeling that your points expired after one year of inactive account (for earning, as your spending in a Mercure hotel does not reset the timer). But normally, there was a special measure to prevent point expiry before end 2020 due to covid, IIRC.
Also, do not expect anyone from Accor to contact you after your post here on FT. We used, pre-Covid, to have an Accor representative here, but unfortunately we have no news from her and we believe her job has been cut due to this f.....g virus
If you want to discuss with Accor about your problem, you need to contact customer service via the regular channel.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Oct 5, 20, 8:28 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Assuming the dates are correct, they expired due to inactivity. Accor didn't suspend points expiration until May.
Old Oct 5, 20, 8:29 pm

Programs: LeClub AccorHotels / Accor Plus (Platinum), Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
If you are going to go the social media route, you would have far better odds of success on Facebook or Twitter. Accor is NOT active on this site.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Oct 5, 20, 8:54 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan Diamond, AC Altitude E35K, Marriott Gold, Enterprise Gold, Nexus/GE
I suppose you don't have anything to lose by calling and trying various channels, but honestly, I wouldn't hold out much hope. Accor HQ isn't exactly known for their great service and customer-friendly behavior or policies. And now with hotel vacancies towering, when they need more than anything, every customer they can get/keep for their very survival, they will probably view the cancellation of your points as a great way of saving money, rather than the loss of yet another customer.

I don't take any chances with my points. Since they have a fixed redemption value, I basically redeem whatever I have on each stay. I don't see much advantage to saving them up.
Old Oct 6, 20, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
You do realize that you have posted on a social media site?

If you want to contact Accor, you will need to contact Accor. If you want some advice as to how to approach Accor, it would be helpful for you to explain what you mean by "regualrization" and what happened.
Hi Often1,
have to admit that social media is not my strong point. By searching thru web, I saw some comments and replies from someone from Accor and dealing with cases such as mine.
Term "regularization" appears next to the point deduction record on my Accor account.

@Goldorak
thanks for your message, I think that you are down to the point and my intention was to find a way or "measure" on how to redeem at least part of the points earned.
Actually , I found out only now, few months after when I tried to spend some points for possible travel.
It is quite unfair to expire points from the account due to inactivity when you are actually not permitted to travel.

perthite
you are probably right but still, business down, travels nearly impossible, working from home and all the other wonders fuelled by this insane scenario. Shouldn't Accor make some effort to find some sort of solution and meet loyal member expectations?

@Maelstrom
I thought reaching out first on forum such as this one where I can hear other people experiences first.

@CanadaDH
good point. My experiences with Accor were quite positive until now and any kind of dispute use to be sorted out by calling - until now.
Was travelling so much that I just didn't have a chance to redeem points.
Every occasion I could, I did.
Somehow points were just accumulating and accumulating and accumulating...haha
Sometimes there was no Accor hotel in vicinity so I use to stay in IHG and have also some points with them. Nobody "regularized" my points there?
Honestly, when business and travels are back again, I will make sure that my choices are going towards the one respecting my loyalty.
Because pretty much in majority of travels to known destinations, there was always a choice.

Still, I hope that intervention by Accor will follow.
Old Oct 6, 20, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Welcome to FT!

Accor won’t reach out to you, but you are of course free to contact them and enquire. If by regularisation you mean resetting your account after one year of inactivity, that’s fairly normal, and I don’t think they will reverse that.
Old Oct 6, 20, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Your last earning activity is in March 2019, right ? But Covid did not appear before end 2019 in China, end Q1-2020 in rest of the world, so if you are a frequent Accor stayer, why don’t you have a single stay in 9 months before Covid hit ?
You have no risk contacting Accor hoping for a gesture from them, but I am not sure you have strong case.
Old Oct 6, 20, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Discovery Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Gold,
Originally Posted by Accor Member View Post
@Goldorak
thanks for your message, I think that you are down to the point and my intention was to find a way or "measure" on how to redeem at least part of the points earned.
Actually , I found out only now, few months after when I tried to spend some points for possible travel.
It is quite unfair to expire points from the account due to inactivity when you are actually not permitted to travel.
There was a whole year between March 2019 and March 2020 when Covid was not really a thing and there were no travel bans whatsoever for most of that time during which you could have booked an Accor hotel and kept your points account active. What we have here is a failure on your part to fully understand the expiration rules of the programme with the result that you allowed your points to lapse. You might not like it, but it is not “unfair”.
perthite
you are probably right but still, business down, travels nearly impossible, working from home and all the other wonders fuelled by this insane scenario. Shouldn't Accor make some effort to find some sort of solution and meet loyal member expectations?
No. You failed to keep your account active in the year before Covid, so you fall foul of the standard programme rules on points expiry. Sad but true.

@CanadaDH

Sometimes there was no Accor hotel in vicinity so I use to stay in IHG and have also some points with them. Nobody "regularized" my points there?
If you have any kind of Elite status in IHG their points don’t expire, otherwise it’s after 12 months of inactivity if you’re a bog-standard member.

I don’t think Accor will do anything to recompense you for the lost points as you failed t keep your account active before it became impossible to do so. Moral of this story - book an Ibis once a year if you want to keep your Accor points alive.
Old Oct 6, 20, 3:00 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Le Club Gold
Check out:
* the "Points Boost" offer (https://all.accor.com/loyalty-progra...offer.en.shtml)
or
* the "Boost your points balance with 25hours hotels" (https://all.accor.com/loyalty-progra...offer.en.shtml).

You might be able to recover your lost points.

If Accor advertising is right, you need to register for one of these offers, book a 2-night stay (before 9 October) and stay at an Accor property (before 15 December).
Points lost between January 1 and May 18 should be returned to your account.
jackr27, hotel_user and Goldorak like this.
Old Oct 6, 20, 4:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
The advice from @testman is excellent and it's definitely the route I'd go down, and would be the best way to resolve this. Accor customer service is not good, so considering the amount of points you lost, I'd book a 2 night stay somewhere convenient and then get back the points that way.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Oct 6, 20, 5:25 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Le Club Gold
Originally Posted by jackr27 View Post
The advice from @testman is excellent and it's definitely the route I'd go down, and would be the best way to resolve this. Accor customer service is not good, so considering the amount of points you lost, I'd book a 2 night stay somewhere convenient and then get back the points that way.
Just make sure to register for the promos before you book!
hotel_user and jackr27 like this.
Old Oct 6, 20, 6:40 am

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by testman View Post
Just make sure to register for the promos before you book!

Wow - thats a lot of points to lose.

Not sure if you need to pay with money for the offer to work, but it is likely to be the best and easiest way to recover the points. Personally I would pay a non refundable rate on my card, having registered and taken a screen shot of my successful registration.

If you can not get to the hotel, for whatever reason, do you have family members who can. If so put their name on the booking, and let them have a few days break.

Good luck, but register and book asap as the offer ends in 2 days ( don't do it 11:56 pm on the 8th ! )
Old Oct 6, 20, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Welcome to FT!
Accor won’t reach out to you, but you are of course free to contact them and enquire. If by regularisation you mean resetting your account after one year of inactivity, that’s fairly normal, and I don’t think they will reverse that.
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Your last earning activity is in March 2019, right ? But Covid did not appear before end 2019 in China, end Q1-2020 in rest of the world, so if you are a frequent Accor stayer, why don’t you have a single stay in 9 months before Covid hit ?
You have no risk contacting Accor hoping for a gesture from them, but I am not sure you have strong case.
Originally Posted by southlondonphil View Post
There was a whole year between March 2019 and March 2020 when Covid was not really a thing and there were no travel bans whatsoever for most of that time during which you could have booked an Accor hotel and kept your points account active. What we have here is a failure on your part to fully understand the expiration rules of the programme with the result that you allowed your points to lapse. You might not like it, but it is not “unfair”.
No. You failed to keep your account active in the year before Covid, so you fall foul of the standard programme rules on points expiry. Sad but true.
If you have any kind of Elite status in IHG their points don’t expire, otherwise it’s after 12 months of inactivity if you’re a bog-standard member.
I don’t think Accor will do anything to recompense you for the lost points as you failed t keep your account active before it became impossible to do so. Moral of this story - book an Ibis once a year if you want to keep your Accor points alive.
Originally Posted by jackr27 View Post
Originally Posted by hotel_user View Post
Wow - thats a lot of points to lose.
Not sure if you need to pay with money for the offer to work, but it is likely to be the best and easiest way to recover the points. Personally I would pay a non refundable rate on my card, having registered and taken a screen shot of my successful registration.
@hotel_user - I use to give away to friends and family members points but for a while, you have to do it personally

anyway, thanks everyone for the words of support and instructions...we are all different and unique individuals, some are pessimist, some optimist.

I belong to second. I believe in people, I believe in justice.

There is a law, there are rules and there is WE.

We CAN do small things to influence other people lives and I certainly believe that I do not have to call someone half-way across the world and explain that I had a hard times, that COVID19 ruined my way of life to the crumbles and trouble started indeed earlier.

But I kept going...it will get better soon or a later...

Actually I am responsible for the fact that points were taken, I did not read e-mails sent from Accor twice (1,5 and 3 months before) simply because mailboxes are stuffed with similar messages that I don,t even read by subject.
I could have taken steps but I didn,t because I didn,t see it.
I made mistake, we all make mistakes.

This is the point of view and reason why I think it is "unfair". We live in world of human, not rules and papers and there is ALWAYS someone that can make an exception based on something that doesn,t have to be a rule but simply good understanding and expression of mutual understanding.

Fortunately, I received e-mail and ALL my points are back.

ACCOR made an exception by making another Account Regularization and took effort to retain loyal customer.
  • Account Regularization :

10/06/2020

+135657
  • Account Regularization :

03/29/2020

Goldorak likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: