points expiry in covid time

Old Sep 29, 20, 3:56 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 83
points expiry in covid time

has accor extended the points expiry due to the covid pandemic? normally, it expires after 365 days and mine is coming soon. since i am stuck in singapore, the prices of the usual hotels are pretty high, they do have ibis budget, but since these are not member hotels in ALL, i don't think staying there would extend my points.

has anyone tried to book and pay for hotels in bangkok but not actually stay on it, just to extend the points?
orson_y is offline  
Old Sep 29, 20, 6:15 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Programs: A3 Gold, Le Club Gold
Posts: 136
In an email sent in mid-May, Accor promised that no points would expire at least till December 15, 2020. So you should have 2.5 months to extend the points.

The quickest way would be to stay a night at ibis Novena (I can see rooms at 175 SGD per night, inc. taxes). Not sure if it worth it, though. Depends on how many points you might lose.
You could also spend a night at SO/ Sofitel Singapore. It's considerably more expensive (some Saturday nights in October are available at approx. 300 SGD), but at least it's a 5-star property, so hopefully more comfortable than an ibis, and you will get more points for the stay.

Supposedly, you can only get reward points for eating/drinking at selected bars and restaurants even if you are not staying at the hotel:
https://restaurants.accor.com/themes...rages.en.shtml
In Singapore, there are just three hotels at the moment: ibis Novena, Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy, Fairmont Singapore (+ Swissotel The Stamford, but I think it's currently closed).

I'm not 100% sure it will extend your status, but I think there was a similar a couple of weeks/months ago on FT. You can browse the forum or have a drink at one of the hotels above and check if it works for yourself.

Just remember to register your credit card in the app before paying!
testman is offline  
Old Sep 30, 20, 3:29 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 83
Thanks test man for the info. I actually can’t book a room at ibis Novena and so/ Sofitel. Am not sure if it is Geo blocking it. Would you care to tell me which dates the 2 were available? I will also try to see if earning points without the actual stay will extend my points expiry
orson_y is offline  
Old Sep 30, 20, 4:52 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Programs: A3 Gold, Le Club Gold
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by orson_y View Post
I actually canít book a room at ibis Novena and so/ Sofitel.
The first night I can see available at both hotel is October 4/5.
It's a special D-3 flexible rate for Gold members. Maybe that's the reason you can't book it?

But later on I can see more types of rates, including non-refundable rates and different types of rooms.
In early November, you can stay at ibis Novena for 127 SGD (with taxes) per night, so 50 dollars less than the rate for early October.
orson_y likes this.
testman is offline  
Old Sep 30, 20, 5:54 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Spain
Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Posts: 884
I can book the Ibis at 100 GBP £ on the 4th ( Platinum room availability D-2 ). Prior to this the hotel is apparently closed.

Do you have friends / relatives in any other part of the world ? If so make a booking in your name and details (cheaper hotel ?) , and with them as a second guest. This MAY work, but ....
Stay Safe.
orson_y likes this.
hotel_user is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 7:31 am
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
Hi Everyone , I am new here . I am wondering the same thing my points are expiring soon. I have lots of accumulated points. Anyone had a chance to extend ?
Claus22 is offline  
Old Oct 13, 20, 10:39 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by testman View Post
The first night I can see available at both hotel is October 4/5.
It's a special D-3 flexible rate for Gold members. Maybe that's the reason you can't book it?

But later on I can see more types of rates, including non-refundable rates and different types of rooms.
In early November, you can stay at ibis Novena for 127 SGD (with taxes) per night, so 50 dollars less than the rate for early October.
i called the hotel directly. it seems the have a contract with the government to host the folks with a stay home quarantine order. so these "available" rooms are in fact not available unless we magically get rid of this virus.
Another update for the non-staying points accumulation, these restaurants/bars in Singapore are either closed because of the same reason as above or are only open for in house guests.

Last edited by orson_y; Oct 14, 20 at 12:10 am Reason: typo
orson_y is offline  
Old Dec 17, 20, 1:17 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Posts: 2,985
I just received a message from Accor indicating that any points earning—not just hotel stays—will extend the expiry date by 365 days. That’s good news for those of us who can’t travel and who don’t live in an area with Accor hotels.
BinSabai and sfo like this.
SFO_FT is offline  
Old Dec 17, 20, 5:29 pm
  #9  
sfo
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,700
SFO_FT, what your saying seems to be correct. On Dec 17 I won 250 points on the advent calendar. I just checked my points balance and what was due to expire next April 2021 has now moved to Dec 17, 2021. Happy to see this as I have been booked at one of the Fairmonts in Vancouver for one night in Jan 2021 to keep my points valid. I won't have to spend the $200.00 now for that booking. Thanks for your post.
sfo is offline  
Old Dec 19, 20, 5:12 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: Accor Gold, Best Western Platinum, IHG Gold, Thalys Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by sfo View Post
SFO_FT, what your saying seems to be correct. On Dec 17 I won 250 points on the advent calendar. I just checked my points balance and what was due to expire next April 2021 has now moved to Dec 17, 2021. Happy to see this as I have been booked at one of the Fairmonts in Vancouver for one night in Jan 2021 to keep my points valid. I won't have to spend the $200.00 now for that booking. Thanks for your post.
I also received 2 times 250 points. Also my account shows valid till 17th of dec 2021. So by winning points with the advent calender your points will be extened to date XXXX
Easytravel is offline  
Old Dec 20, 20, 12:25 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Posts: 2,985
Originally Posted by sfo View Post
SFO_FT, what your saying seems to be correct. On Dec 17 I won 250 points on the advent calendar. I just checked my points balance and what was due to expire next April 2021 has now moved to Dec 17, 2021. Happy to see this as I have been booked at one of the Fairmonts in Vancouver for one night in Jan 2021 to keep my points valid. I won't have to spend the $200.00 now for that booking. Thanks for your post.
Happy to have learned that any points will extend expiry. Wish Accor was more transparent with this type of information.
SFO_FT is offline  
Old Dec 20, 20, 10:48 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YYZ
Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan Diamond, AC Altitude E35K, Marriott Gold, Enterprise Gold, Nexus/GE
Posts: 2,074
Originally Posted by SFO_FT View Post
Happy to have learned that any points will extend expiry. Wish Accor was more transparent with this type of information.
Maybe they are being transparent. Perhaps the extension of points is not by design, but by IT accident, and they weren't supposed to be extended. It's not like garbage IT with Accor isn't well known. I reported earlier than the earning of points without staying updated the expiry date. I tested with a transfer of points from Flying Blue, and my expiry date updated.
CanadaDH is offline  
Old Dec 20, 20, 12:57 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: London, UK and Southern France
Posts: 16,751
Originally Posted by CanadaDH View Post
Maybe they are being transparent. Perhaps the extension of points is not by design, but by IT accident, and they weren't supposed to be extended. It's not like garbage IT with Accor isn't well known. I reported earlier than the earning of points without staying updated the expiry date. I tested with a transfer of points from Flying Blue, and my expiry date updated.
Yes, that is also my feeling. I have not checked in the distant past but, at least for over a year, the expiry date has updated every time I have had points posting to my account, for whatever reason.
hotel_user likes this.
NickB is offline  
Old Dec 22, 20, 12:12 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Udon Thani, Thailand
Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Posts: 867
I am a happy winner of “Rediscover Thailand” promotion where you get 40% credit of your hotel booking towards hotel expenses for bookings from 22/10/20 to 31/03/21 and be one of 10to win 40.000 points.

I booked a hotel for New Year’s Eve.

Thus I won 40.000 points 18/12/20 and expiry date is now 18/12/22.
tartempion is online now  
Old Jan 3, 21, 8:28 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SIN
Programs: Accor Plus Platinum l Best Western Diamond l Discovery Platinum l HHonors Diamond
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by testman View Post
In an email sent in mid-May, Accor promised that no points would expire at least till December 15, 2020. So you should have 2.5 months to extend the points.

The quickest way would be to stay a night at ibis Novena (I can see rooms at 175 SGD per night, inc. taxes). Not sure if it worth it, though. Depends on how many points you might lose.
You could also spend a night at SO/ Sofitel Singapore. It's considerably more expensive (some Saturday nights in October are available at approx. 300 SGD), but at least it's a 5-star property, so hopefully more comfortable than an ibis, and you will get more points for the stay.

Supposedly, you can only get reward points for eating/drinking at selected bars and restaurants even if you are not staying at the hotel:
https://restaurants.accor.com/themes...rages.en.shtml
In Singapore, there are just three hotels at the moment: ibis Novena, Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy, Fairmont Singapore (+ Swissotel The Stamford, but I think it's currently closed).

I'm not 100% sure it will extend your status, but I think there was a similar a couple of weeks/months ago on FT. You can browse the forum or have a drink at one of the hotels above and check if it works for yourself.

Just remember to register your credit card in the app before paying!
My Account points going to expire on 30 April 2021, just wonder if by dining in the restaurant that allow earning of reward points, does it help to push back the expiring date? As I have no plan for a hotel stay yet before April. Anyone have done this and any extension result?
IzoukI is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: