Community
Wiki Posts
Search

points expiry in covid time

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:56 am
Original Poster

points expiry in covid time

has accor extended the points expiry due to the covid pandemic? normally, it expires after 365 days and mine is coming soon. since i am stuck in singapore, the prices of the usual hotels are pretty high, they do have ibis budget, but since these are not member hotels in ALL, i don't think staying there would extend my points.

has anyone tried to book and pay for hotels in bangkok but not actually stay on it, just to extend the points?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Le Club Gold
In an email sent in mid-May, Accor promised that no points would expire at least till December 15, 2020. So you should have 2.5 months to extend the points.

The quickest way would be to stay a night at ibis Novena (I can see rooms at 175 SGD per night, inc. taxes). Not sure if it worth it, though. Depends on how many points you might lose.
You could also spend a night at SO/ Sofitel Singapore. It's considerably more expensive (some Saturday nights in October are available at approx. 300 SGD), but at least it's a 5-star property, so hopefully more comfortable than an ibis, and you will get more points for the stay.

Supposedly, you can only get reward points for eating/drinking at selected bars and restaurants even if you are not staying at the hotel:
https://restaurants.accor.com/themes...rages.en.shtml
In Singapore, there are just three hotels at the moment: ibis Novena, Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy, Fairmont Singapore (+ Swissotel The Stamford, but I think it's currently closed).

I'm not 100% sure it will extend your status, but I think there was a similar a couple of weeks/months ago on FT. You can browse the forum or have a drink at one of the hotels above and check if it works for yourself.

Just remember to register your credit card in the app before paying!
Old Sep 30, 2020, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks test man for the info. I actually can’t book a room at ibis Novena and so/ Sofitel. Am not sure if it is Geo blocking it. Would you care to tell me which dates the 2 were available? I will also try to see if earning points without the actual stay will extend my points expiry
Old Sep 30, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Le Club Gold
Originally Posted by orson_y
I actually can’t book a room at ibis Novena and so/ Sofitel.
The first night I can see available at both hotel is October 4/5.
It's a special D-3 flexible rate for Gold members. Maybe that's the reason you can't book it?

But later on I can see more types of rates, including non-refundable rates and different types of rooms.
In early November, you can stay at ibis Novena for 127 SGD (with taxes) per night, so 50 dollars less than the rate for early October.
orson_y likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
I can book the Ibis at 100 GBP Ł on the 4th ( Platinum room availability D-2 ). Prior to this the hotel is apparently closed.

Do you have friends / relatives in any other part of the world ? If so make a booking in your name and details (cheaper hotel ?) , and with them as a second guest. This MAY work, but ....
Stay Safe.
orson_y likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 6:31 am
Suspended

Hi Everyone , I am new here . I am wondering the same thing my points are expiring soon. I have lots of accumulated points. Anyone had a chance to extend ?
Old Oct 13, 2020, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by testman
The first night I can see available at both hotel is October 4/5.
It's a special D-3 flexible rate for Gold members. Maybe that's the reason you can't book it?

But later on I can see more types of rates, including non-refundable rates and different types of rooms.
In early November, you can stay at ibis Novena for 127 SGD (with taxes) per night, so 50 dollars less than the rate for early October.
i called the hotel directly. it seems the have a contract with the government to host the folks with a stay home quarantine order. so these "available" rooms are in fact not available unless we magically get rid of this virus.
Another update for the non-staying points accumulation, these restaurants/bars in Singapore are either closed because of the same reason as above or are only open for in house guests.

Last edited by orson_y; Oct 13, 2020 at 11:10 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I just received a message from Accor indicating that any points earning—not just hotel stays—will extend the expiry date by 365 days. That’s good news for those of us who can’t travel and who don’t live in an area with Accor hotels.
BinSabai and sfo like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:29 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
SFO_FT, what your saying seems to be correct. On Dec 17 I won 250 points on the advent calendar. I just checked my points balance and what was due to expire next April 2021 has now moved to Dec 17, 2021. Happy to see this as I have been booked at one of the Fairmonts in Vancouver for one night in Jan 2021 to keep my points valid. I won't have to spend the $200.00 now for that booking. Thanks for your post.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:12 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Best Western Platinum, IHG Gold, Thalys Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sfo
SFO_FT, what your saying seems to be correct. On Dec 17 I won 250 points on the advent calendar. I just checked my points balance and what was due to expire next April 2021 has now moved to Dec 17, 2021. Happy to see this as I have been booked at one of the Fairmonts in Vancouver for one night in Jan 2021 to keep my points valid. I won't have to spend the $200.00 now for that booking. Thanks for your post.
I also received 2 times 250 points. Also my account shows valid till 17th of dec 2021. So by winning points with the advent calender your points will be extened to date XXXX
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by sfo
Happy to have learned that any points will extend expiry. Wish Accor was more transparent with this type of information.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Happy to have learned that any points will extend expiry. Wish Accor was more transparent with this type of information.
Maybe they are being transparent. Perhaps the extension of points is not by design, but by IT accident, and they weren't supposed to be extended. It's not like garbage IT with Accor isn't well known. I reported earlier than the earning of points without staying updated the expiry date. I tested with a transfer of points from Flying Blue, and my expiry date updated.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Maybe they are being transparent. Perhaps the extension of points is not by design, but by IT accident, and they weren't supposed to be extended. It's not like garbage IT with Accor isn't well known. I reported earlier than the earning of points without staying updated the expiry date. I tested with a transfer of points from Flying Blue, and my expiry date updated.
Yes, that is also my feeling. I have not checked in the distant past but, at least for over a year, the expiry date has updated every time I have had points posting to my account, for whatever reason.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I am a happy winner of “Rediscover Thailand” promotion where you get 40% credit of your hotel booking towards hotel expenses for bookings from 22/10/20 to 31/03/21 and be one of 10to win 40.000 points.

I booked a hotel for New Year’s Eve.

Thus I won 40.000 points 18/12/20 and expiry date is now 18/12/22.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: Accor Plus Platinum l Best Western Diamond l Discovery Platinum l HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by testman
In an email sent in mid-May, Accor promised that no points would expire at least till December 15, 2020. So you should have 2.5 months to extend the points.

The quickest way would be to stay a night at ibis Novena (I can see rooms at 175 SGD per night, inc. taxes). Not sure if it worth it, though. Depends on how many points you might lose.
You could also spend a night at SO/ Sofitel Singapore. It's considerably more expensive (some Saturday nights in October are available at approx. 300 SGD), but at least it's a 5-star property, so hopefully more comfortable than an ibis, and you will get more points for the stay.

Supposedly, you can only get reward points for eating/drinking at selected bars and restaurants even if you are not staying at the hotel:
https://restaurants.accor.com/themes...rages.en.shtml
In Singapore, there are just three hotels at the moment: ibis Novena, Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy, Fairmont Singapore (+ Swissotel The Stamford, but I think it's currently closed).

I'm not 100% sure it will extend your status, but I think there was a similar a couple of weeks/months ago on FT. You can browse the forum or have a drink at one of the hotels above and check if it works for yourself.

Just remember to register your credit card in the app before paying!
My Account points going to expire on 30 April 2021, just wonder if by dining in the restaurant that allow earning of reward points, does it help to push back the expiring date? As I have no plan for a hotel stay yet before April. Anyone have done this and any extension result?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.