Question re points redemptions.

Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Question re points redemptions.

Hi

Apologies for the rather silly question, its something I should probably know.

When using points as part payment for a stay do you earn points on the cash element? Im trying to work out if it will be better to use all cash or a combination.

thanks
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by chrism20
When using points as part payment for a stay do you earn points on the cash element?
Yes you do.
chrism20, hotel_user and Brendan like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yes you do.
Many thanks 👍
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Just to hijack the thread if I make a points redemption and the certificate expires by the time I cancel are the points lost?
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:35 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Remember if you pay with some points for a promotion stay, you will not gain any of the promotion points. ( just the normal points for the cash element )
Brendan and chrism20 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotel_user
Remember if you pay with some points for a promotion stay, you will not gain any of the promotion points. ( just the normal points for the cash element )
The stay I'm looking to book is for the weekend before Christmas so it's just outside the promotion window for the current 6k offer and is the main reason I'm deliberating on using some of the points. I should have the promo covered with work stays hopefully.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chrism20
The stay I'm looking to book is for the weekend before Christmas so it's just outside the promotion window for the current 6k offer and is the main reason I'm deliberating on using some of the points. I should have the promo covered with work stays hopefully.

Moto :

Spend points at Ibis
Earn points at Sofitel

That way you get the maximum benefit on your cash ( ie point earning rate is much better at the Sofitel cf the Ibis )
and don't forget Topcashback lol
jackr27 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: IHG Plat; HH Gold; Accor Plat
Originally Posted by hotel_user
Moto :

Spend points at Ibis
Earn points at Sofitel

That way you get the maximum benefit on your cash ( ie point earning rate is much better at the Sofitel cf the Ibis )
and don't forget Topcashback lol
Can you elaborate more on Topcashback? What is it?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
I concur re: redeeming at Ibis / Adagio / Mama and not paying cash there. Just remember that you need your cash contribution to a partially-paid-with-points stay to be minimum EUR 10 per room per night for the nights to count towards your status.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:40 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JTCz
I concur re: redeeming at Ibis / Adagio / Mama and not paying cash there. Just remember that you need your cash contribution to a partially-paid-with-points stay to be minimum EUR 10 per room per night for the nights to count towards your status.

Not sure about that, as we have had stays credited that were below that for the cash element. However very difficult to do those deals !

Prob wise to spend some cash on the stay ... there is always extras ( City Tax etc ) that seem to bump up the rate ( oh and free parking that has a charge )
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:22 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
just remember that you need your cash contribution to a partially-paid-with-points stay to be minimum EUR 10 per room per night for the nights to count towards your status.
False.

Terms and conditions link

Under Section 10 "Using Rewards Points" -

"Eligible Stays and expenses deemed eligible expenditures, as per these Terms and Conditions, defined herein, entirely paid for in full with Rewards Points do, however, earn Status Nights, provided that the conditions for so doing, as defined in the Programme TCM, are met."
hotel_user likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by HannsenBos3
Can you elaborate more on Topcashback? What is it?
It's a cashback site which operates in a number of countries

Global sites US CN IN JP DE
Old Sep 5, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: IHG Plat; HH Gold; Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
It's a cashback site which operates in a number of countries

Global sites US CN IN JP DE
Great Info, thanks
Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:43 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
False.

Terms and conditions link

Under Section 10 "Using Rewards Points" -

"Eligible Stays and expenses deemed eligible expenditures, as per these Terms and Conditions, defined herein, entirely paid for in full with Rewards Points do, however, earn Status Nights, provided that the conditions for so doing, as defined in the Programme TCM, are met."
If I remember those TCMs, this refers to EUR 10 per night - anyway, this held true for me in the past, i.e. I got nights credited if they cost me > EUR 10 per night in cash, but did not when the cash contribution was so marginal that it was less than EUR 10 per night. At any rate, if it changed recently in our favour, that's good news, and still the bottom line remains:

* Earn at regular brands
* Redeem points at ibis / adagio / Mama
Old Sep 11, 2020, 12:45 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
If I remember those TCMs, this refers to EUR 10 per night - anyway, this held true for me in the past, i.e. I got nights credited if they cost me > EUR 10 per night in cash, but did not when the cash contribution was so marginal that it was less than EUR 10 per night. At any rate, if it changed recently in our favour, that's good news, and still the bottom line remains:

* Earn at regular brands
* Redeem points at ibis / adagio / Mama
interesting! I had a stay at the Raffles Shenzhen earlier in the year that was fully paid with points. At first, they didn't want to credit me with the night but after I "T&C'd" them, it was credited. Looks like it might be a bit hit and miss!
hotel_user and JTCz like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.