Wiki Posts
Search

Accor Studies Potential Merger With IHG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:09 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Room rate categories that allow you to effectively buy additional elite-qualifying bonus points along with your stay. Some properties will have a 5K bonus per night offer at a pretty marginal price increase over the standard refundable rate, and it's pretty easy to hit Spire that way in 20 nights or less.

Granted the guaranteed benefits for Spire aren't as good as some peer programs, but I've had good luck with 'space available' upgrades, especially in Europe, even when I was on award stays when they're not a listed benefit.
Interesting, I was not aware of this feature of IHG's program to "buy" additional qualifying points
Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by escape4
Interesting, I was not aware of this feature of IHG's program to "buy" additional qualifying points
You have to read the fine print because while about 80% of the bonus point offers code as EQ, there are a few of them that are not. There's a thread over in the IHG folder about that.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by escape4
Thank you for the feedback. A few random thoughts from me:

- Mercure and Novotel are nothing special I agree, but we could say the same for equivalent options in other hotel chains, for example Hilton Garden Inn, and I suspect Holiday Inn.
- You say ICs are nice, but for a fair comparison you would have to stay at higher level Accor hotels to compare, for example Sofitel.
- I have not tried IHG customer service but I suspect you are right and it would be hard for me to argue on this point
- I believe the value of free nights (or earning points) is higher with IHG indeed. With Accor the value of points earned comes out to less than 10% value of spend, I am assuming IHG is better.
- Why is IHG Spire easier to achieve than Accor Platinum?
- How do you get lounge access at CP and IC? According to the loyalty program you do not... do they upgrade you to exec room nonetheless, in other words they go above the rules of the program? If so, then yes it's probably more generous than Accor in that regard, however if you are Accor Platinum you are not dependent on the generosity of an individual property.
- If it goes south we all lose because fewer options are not good for customers. If it works well then we have more choices to choose from so it could be positive.
Room rate categories that allow you to effectively buy additional elite-qualifying bonus points along with your stay. Some properties will have a 5K bonus per night offer at a pretty marginal price increase over the standard refundable rate, and it's pretty easy to hit Spire that way in 20 nights or less.

Granted the guaranteed benefits for Spire aren't as good as some peer programs, but I've had good luck with 'space available' upgrades, especially in Europe, even when I was on award stays when they're not a listed benefit.
- Correct, have not stayed at high end Accor properties, but have at IHG. In the mid range (Mercure/Novatel vs HI/HIX/CP), IHG has been a clear winner.
- Lounge access was given to me as a Spire.. maybe as a local hotel courtesy, or as a room upgrade - but I've had it. Not every time, but most.
- Also agree with beachmouse that I've had great luck with upgrades - award or paid travel - with IHG.

As for Spire vs Accor Plat - beachmouse explained it well. I'll give some additional details.
Accor: Requires 60 nights or EUR5600 in expenses (about $6600 as of today).
IHG: Requires 75 nights or 75k points. Many hotels offer a bonus points package which qualifies. As an example, there's an HI in Fort Worth, TX that is usually about $100 a night, give or take. They also offer a bonus 10k points rate for around $150. So, in 7 stays (7*$150 = $1050, and 70k points + base earnings) I can reach Spire. And those 10k points that I am buying for $50? I have good luck redeeming for nights at 15k or 20k per night that would otherwise cost me about $100, so it basically just becomes a form of prepaying for a few stays.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:39 pm

IHG is, for lack of a better term, the most 'hackable' of the big hotel chain programs. The majority of the time, their quarterly promotional offers are 'customized' (ie really, really randomly generated) for your account and you get something like:

Stay 10 nights- get 12K bonus points
Stay two weekends- get 8K bonus points
Have one points plus cash stay- 3K bonus points
Stay at one Intercontinental- 5K bonus points
Stay at a hotel in New Jersey or Delaware- 5K bonus points
Stay at two Candlewood Suites- 3K bonus points

Complete 5 of those 6 and get 30K bonus points

And since everything except the points and cash stay can count toward multiple tasks, it can be something of a game to figure out how to maximize the points generated by the minimal cash outlay. Whether that counts as a bug or a feature is up to each program participant.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:25 pm

IHG is, for lack of a better term, the most 'hackable' of the big hotel chain programs.
Thank you for my education, that is a very clear description of how IHG promos work. So to go in the same vein, Accor might be the least "hackable" program in part because points are worth 0.02 EUR and there is no room to maximize value like in other programs where some hotels have low points redemptions, or 5th night free, etc. So this is one aspect that I can see IHG members would lose if the Accor way prevailed, or Accor members would gain if the IHG way prevailed.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
And those 10k points that I am buying for $50?
Based on objective valuations I have seen, 10k points for $50 is not bad at all. So if one is willing to buy points that way, yes you have me convinced now that Spire is easier to reach than Accor Platinum despite the headlines saying the opposite (number of nights required).
Old Aug 25, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I don't know much about IHG, but I did stay in a Crowne Plaza a couple of times. Not an experience I care to repeat.

But from the sounds of it, IHG and Accor may well be competing for the worst hotel loyalty program. If so, this potential merger is a match made in heaven. The merged entity could offer a program that continues to cost them very little by offering few benefits, and none of the existing members of the former programs will be disappointed.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by bchandler02
- Correct, have not stayed at high end Accor properties, but have at IHG. In the mid range (Mercure/Novatel vs HI/HIX/CP), IHG has been a clear winner.
- Lounge access was given to me as a Spire.. maybe as a local hotel courtesy, or as a room upgrade - but I've had it. Not every time, but most.
- Also agree with beachmouse that I've had great luck with upgrades - award or paid travel - with IHG.

As for Spire vs Accor Plat - beachmouse explained it well. I'll give some additional details.
Accor: Requires 60 nights or EUR5600 in expenses (about $6600 as of today).
IHG: Requires 75 nights or 75k points. Many hotels offer a bonus points package which qualifies. As an example, there's an HI in Fort Worth, TX that is usually about $100 a night, give or take. They also offer a bonus 10k points rate for around $150. So, in 7 stays (7*$150 = $1050, and 70k points + base earnings) I can reach Spire. And those 10k points that I am buying for $50? I have good luck redeeming for nights at 15k or 20k per night that would otherwise cost me about $100, so it basically just becomes a form of prepaying for a few stays.
Does IHG bonus points fro promotion counted as elite qualifying points as well?
(Also I guess you could buy Platinum status from IHG by purchase ambassador membership)

As for brand comparison between Accor and IHG,

Raffles :
Banyan Tree : Six Senses
Sofitel So :
Fairmont Sofitel : Regent, Intercontinental
Swissotel :
Grand Mercure, Pullman :
Mercure, Novotel : Crowne Plaza
Ibis : Holiday Inn Express

Not very sure about other Accor and IHG brands positioning on the market
Old Aug 25, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
But from the sounds of it, IHG and Accor may well be competing for the worst hotel loyalty program.
You are not far off But I believe the crown might belong to Radisson.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 12:47 pm

From the extended stay brands, I think that Candlewood Suites is closer to Aparthotel Adagio and Staybridge Suites maps more to Adagio premium.

Ibis/Ibis Styles is pretty close to Holiday Inn Express in Europe, but HIX in North America is usually a far larger and nicer room with the obligatory minifridge and microwave oven and probably closer to a Novotel. (The breakfast isn't as good as what you get at a European HIX though)

Kimpton is a 'boutique' brand and IHG considers them the quirkier peer of Intercontinental
Hotel Indigo is a pretend boutique brand- the customization at each hotel actually meet some pretty tight brand standards behind the scenes
voco is a new brand and seems to be 'conversion property in a good location that doesn't fit in any other category' so a Mercure or Hilton Doubletree
avid is the illegitimate stepchild of a Motel One and an Ibis budget. Not sure if they'll manage to really establish the brand much in the States.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
IHG just lost 103 hotels in the US. I'm grabbing my popcorn.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold
They just need to look behind the sofa
Old Aug 26, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Does IHG bonus points fro promotion counted as elite qualifying points as well?
(Also I guess you could buy Platinum status from IHG by purchase ambassador membership)

As for brand comparison between Accor and IHG,

Raffles :
Banyan Tree : Six Senses
Sofitel So :
Fairmont Sofitel : Regent, Intercontinental
Swissotel :
Grand Mercure, Pullman :
Mercure, Novotel : Crowne Plaza
Ibis : Holiday Inn Express

Not very sure about other Accor and IHG brands positioning on the market
Would Holiday Inn and Novotel not be a match? They are both fairly standardised and try to appeal to people with children.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
The only way this could work is if IHG took over Accor (not the other way round).

Accor customer service and IT systems are a shambles, normal & bonus points don't post half the time, there are literally hundreds of accor properties that do not fully participate in the program, exceptions and variations to rules run several pages, "guaranteed" benefits at properties have to be reminded and begged for more often than not, it takes ages to get enough points for a single night, and the state of some properties (such as ibis and mercure) is still very 1980s.

The only positive that could come out of this is free breakfasts and free lounge access at IHG properties (especially in asia).
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by starflyergold
They went to Sonesta, whose "brand" is an extreme stretch of the word, and 80% of those were "extended-stay", so this had to be a bunch of really seedy properties. If they were any good, they would have been scooped up by somebody willing to operate them under regular brands. Those properties are so bad they did not even merit hanging out a Choice or Wyndham flag outside in lieu of the lapsed IHG franchises.

This is the problem I have with IHG - they do have a lot of really bad real estate operating under their brands, and their brands, for the most part, mean zilch. Holiday Inn Express stands out as the first brand to introduce a bit of style and proper carpeting to the "limited service" segment, but by now both Ibis and Hampton caught up and older HIE are only slightly better than Travelodges. Crowne Plaza, as described above - makes one think of staying at a Novotel or Mercure as an experience. Plus the new Mercure and Novotel concepts are really nice.
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.