Using hotel credit

Old Jun 25, 20, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Le Club Accor Platinum H Honors Diamond
Using hotel credit

Hi just called at a certain hotel where I have nearly $3,000 hotel credit to book a 1 night stay for weekend. Rates showing for said room were $134 but reception staff who I was dealing/talking to said because I was using hotel credits I HAD to pay the full rate of $167 / night. Anyone please enlighten me if the higher rate is the correct one please. As it was I'm pretty sure the rate of $134 would've been higher than the original rate bought in the promotional periods I usually use. Thanks for any info
Old Jun 25, 20, 6:05 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Surely the credit should be for the lowest rate at time of rebooking. Anything else sounds to me like a scam.
hotel_user, DC9 and Goldorak like this.
Old Jun 25, 20, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
Surely the credit should be for the lowest rate at time of rebooking. Anything else sounds to me like a scam.
my thoughts exactly , I was quite prepared to pay
advertised price even tho it was more expensive but not the hidden price ( which I couldnít see on website ) but 20% extra is taking the pi$$. Will contact someone from higher management tomorrow and report back
hotel_user and starflyergold like this.
Old Jun 25, 20, 6:56 am

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
can you ask for a refund ? and then use that to re book ?
Old Jun 25, 20, 7:32 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sycokid View Post
Hi just called at a certain hotel where I have nearly $3,000 hotel credit to book a 1 night stay for weekend. Rates showing for said room were $134 but reception staff who I was dealing/talking to said because I was using hotel credits I HAD to pay the full rate ....
So, why don’t you just make a booking on-line, using the best rate that you are happy with? Then use the hotel credit on arrival.
Old Jun 25, 20, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DC9 View Post
So, why don’t you just make a booking on-line, using the best rate that you are happy with? Then use the hotel credit on arrival.
Because to use the hotel credit it appears I have to contact them directly with the reference number given to myself as they are now holding the money obviously. To book online would mean I then have to prepay another $134 to the All booking system which is a seperate entity and I’d still be left with the same hotel credit , would that not be the case ?If there is another way around this situation I’m all ears thanks.
Or perhaps do you mean pay for other things like food and drink within the hotel whilst staying there? Would this be permissible even ?

Last edited by sycokid; Jun 25, 20 at 4:07 pm
Old Jun 25, 20, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotel_user View Post
can you ask for a refund ? and then use that to re book ?
I asked at the time about a refund but because they were all non refundable bookings was told a hotel credit was the only option. I have maybe had an extremely good relationship with the hotel as I use it maybe 40 times a year and didnít want to rock the boat too much at the time and was happy with the suspended credit note for it as I knew the credit would be used without doubt as the hotel is only 25 kms away from home.and I do heaps of social events in the city
hotel_user likes this.
Old Jun 25, 20, 6:42 pm

Programs: LeClub AccorHotels / Accor Plus (Platinum), Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Because to use the hotel credit it appears I have to contact them directly with the reference number given to myself as they are now holding the money obviously. To book online would mean I then have to prepay another $134 to the All booking system which is a seperate entity and Iíd still be left with the same hotel credit , would that not be the case ?If there is another way around this situation Iím all ears thanks.
Or perhaps do you mean pay for other things like food and drink within the hotel whilst staying there? Would this be permissible even ?
When you pay online, the payment goes through a system called OGONE, with the money the deposited into the hotel's bank account at a later date. In this case, a refund is possible, but I believe that it requires a bank transfer. A refund onto the credit card would likely not be correct procedure, as your credit card was not initially charged at the hotel. It is unfortunate that the hotel is not budging on this policy, but I can understand why - a pre-paid rate is a pre-paid rate, I guess.

For hotel credit, you should be able to use it to pay for any additional expenses, such as food and beverage. I do not see why this would not be allowed.
Old Jun 25, 20, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
When you pay online, the payment goes through a system called OGONE, with the money the deposited into the hotel's bank account at a later date. In this case, a refund is possible, but I believe that it requires a bank transfer. A refund onto the credit card would likely not be correct procedure, as your credit card was not initially charged at the hotel. It is unfortunate that the hotel is not budging on this policy, but I can understand why - a pre-paid rate is a pre-paid rate, I guess.

For hotel credit, you should be able to use it to pay for any additional expenses, such as food and beverage. I do not see why this would not be allowed.
Thanks for that , handy to know
Old Jun 25, 20, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Following on ,what a difference a few hours make ! Contacted a lady from reservations this morning explaining the situation which occurred yesterday and she couldn’t understand either why I wasn’t offered said rate of $134 at the time. Thankfully sorted it within 2 minutes and also explained that any incidentals will be subtracted from the credit as well.
One happy Chappy now
hotel_user, starflyergold and DC9 like this.
Old Jun 25, 20, 11:04 pm

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Following on ,what a difference a few hours make ! Contacted a lady from reservations this morning explaining the situation which occurred yesterday and she couldnít understand either why I wasnít offered said rate of $134 at the time. Thankfully sorted it within 2 minutes and also explained that any incidentals will be subtracted from the credit as well.
One happy Chappy now
A good result, but at what cost to your mental health.

It appears like the original person you spoke to was probably not experienced in that area ( and bluffed instead of referring to someone else ). A little training goes a long way. There are many other similar posts on here about this sort of thing, when you speak to someone, and you do not get the answer you think you should get, it may always be better to call back at another time - just to check with someone else there.
DC9 and sycokid like this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 1:35 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Following on ,what a difference a few hours make ! Contacted a lady from reservations this morning explaining the situation which occurred yesterday and she couldnít understand either why I wasnít offered said rate of $134 at the time. Thankfully sorted it within 2 minutes and also explained that any incidentals will be subtracted from the credit as well.
One happy Chappy now
Common sense prevails but you should not have been in this situation in the first place. How many customers will be in the same predicament? Frankly this does not instill confidence.
DC9, sycokid, hotel_user and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: