Ibis Skopje City Centre

Ibis Skopje City Centre

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Ibis Skopje City Centre

, MK

Ibis Skopje City Centre (0 Photo)

Ibis Skopje City Centre

Ibis Skopje City Centre

This is a four-star Ibis.  We had no complaints, but I have no idea how North Macedonia awards its star ratings. There was nothing extra special about the hotel compared to the normal one or two-star Ibis hotels that we have stayed in elsewhere. I am only saying this as four stars would probably lead to expectation that could not be met. Indeed, this was commented upon by one of the reception team members, saying he often has to disappoint customers by informing them that the pool and other expected facilities were not available. That said we did have a kettle in our room.

We stayed here for just one night, in early March, as I had made a massive date error on our reservation elsewhere (Hilton Skopje Double Tree – a true five star but way out of the town), and when realised decided to stay the last night "in town".

Check-in was easy, as we were expected. The hotel was not full, due to the emerging Covid19 (although at the time of our stay there was only one case in North Macedonia) The hotel is now fully repurposed and equipped with all the necessary medical equipment and materials and housing isolation of “suspicious” persons of the Covid virus-19 at no cost to the Ministry of Health.  The hotel is very likely to be totally different after this is over.

We were given two drinks vouchers, (these were redeemed for a very nice hot chocolate and a local bottled beer in the bar later) and our key card. Our room was on the seventh floor (there are 110 rooms over 8 floors), overlooking the back of the hotel, that gave a view to the hills and the Millennium Cross. The front of the hotel has views overlooking an unfinished office block. This office block view seems to have been unfinished for a number of years. You want a top or high floor room at the back of the hotel if possible. The room was equipped with a kettle and a mini fridge (that was not plugged in) and working air-conditioning. We had to sign a form to allow the window to be unlocked – this is common in hotels now. The bathroom (dispensers of soap and shampoo fixed to the wall) area was a standard Ibis pod type arrangement that was a little on the small side, as was the room. It would not have been enjoyable to have stayed for any more than a few days. There were not enough plug sockets, and no USB outlets for charging.  The room was equipped with the standard Ibis bed and bedding, and we had a good night’s sleep.

There was also a bunch of flowers, and some nibbles in the room, along with an embroidered hand towel as a welcome gift, and a nice message on the bathroom mirror from the housekeeping team. As welcomes go, this was near the top of what we had experienced in Ibis hotels. (The best was the Ibis in Siem Reap- also four star -  that provided free airport transfer and free local mobile phone SIM card)

The location is just of the main square with the enormous statue of a man on a horse … and a 2 minutes’ walk to the Stone Bridge. However, around the hotel it was dominated by unfinished (and possibly abandoned) construction. This made it unattractive, but it felt safe.  The Marriot has probably the best position on the square (but at 4 times the Ibis room rate and no “statue” views from the lounge or public areas). The Stone Bridge Hotel has a viewing area / restaurant on its top floor with similar priced rooms to the Ibis when we enquired (walk up rate was low due to no tourists). For what we wanted, however, the Ibis was ideal.

Breakfast was included in the room price (we paid about 44€ including taxes for the one-night stay), and had a good selection, although the restaurant area – underground - could have been cleared of used plates and trays. The breakfast was a buffet type arrangement and was fairly extensive and re stocked. There were a few hot items, as well as local flavours and delicacies.

Checkout was easy, as we had pre-paid. Points posted quickly.  The hotel also arranged for a limo service to the airport that we also paid at 25€  (a taxi is a fixed cost at 20€ so this was a bargain). We were also given a late check out at no cost.

The staff that we interacted with all spoke excellent English (I was told that they learn it from the English subtitles on the television …. but the English was too good for this) and were helpful and talkative.  A lot of the normal tourist questions were asked and local knowledge and insights gained.

All in all, we had a good stay. The location is good, but not excellent. You have to pay a bit more for the views or book non chain.  The hotel was friendly and welcoming, but was a standard Ibis in many ways, with small room sizes. It was worth the money, but only for a few nights due to room size and amenities. For comparison we booked the Doubletree, at a sale rate for slightly more per night. However, the location was a 3€ taxi ride to town (or more if your taxi driver thought he could get away with it …...)

We were in Skopje at the end of Feb till early March 2020, and there were very few tourists. The centre of the capital is full of newly built museums - we were the only people in many of the tourist attractions over our stay - it was quite strange - and many bridges. There are also statues. Loads of statues. They have even built two concrete “pirate” boats in the river (there are three – and they double as restaurants and hotels but one unfinished). It is a very strange place in search of some identity. Everyone we interacted with was friendly and welcoming. It is a city we will return to.

Pictures to follow.

Ibis Skopje City Centre

Would you like to write a review on the Ibis Skopje City Centre?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:33 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Room Gift

Views of the room, and the bathroom

Around the Hotel, and Center

View from the room.

Outside

Passage to main square

Statue of Alexander III of Macedon

House of Mother Teresa ( Birth )

Stone Bridge

Drinks Menu

Beer and Hot Chocolate

Airport transfer costs
sfo likes this.

Last edited by hotel_user; Apr 12, 2020 at 1:57 pm Reason: Added Photos
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Very good to read something else than Covid19-related stuff
A 4 star Ibis ??? Wow I didn't know it exists
hotel_user likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:46 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Very nice review, very informative. Ibis is my primary hotel when I travel. Have not been to Skopje, but at least I know that if and when I visit I will have a friendly place to stay.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:05 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sfo
Very nice review, very informative. Ibis is my primary hotel when I travel. Have not been to Skopje, but at least I know that if and when I visit I will have a friendly place to stay.
Thank you.

The hotel vibe and staff were very friendly, but the rooms are very small ( even for us poor Europeans ). You will go crazy moving around your luggage to get from one side of the room to the other. Apart from that everything good. One or two days max.

There is an Ibis Styles further out - similar room rates but smaller ( 47 rooms ) - It is also four star ..... rooms look bigger, but we wanted center at a budget price.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:05 pm
sfo

I don't mind staying out of the city centre if the cost justifies it. When you add on the cost of transportation to and from the hotel and the time involved sometimes it makes no sense.
Even when I stay outside the city centre I try to walk to where I need to go. I will take a look the the Ibis Styles, thanks again.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:43 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sfo
I don't mind staying out of the city centre if the cost justifies it. When you add on the cost of transportation to and from the hotel and the time involved sometimes it makes no sense.
Even when I stay outside the city centre I try to walk to where I need to go. I will take a look the the Ibis Styles, thanks again.

Totally agree.

I will share my decision making on this trip. We stayed in Skopje 10 days. I would not recommend anyone staying for 10 days. There is not that much to do. However it was dictated by flights ( and cost of flights ) and that we just wanted a R and R break . We will be back, but as an open jaw arrival or departure point.

We initially looked at the Styles, but for the cost and location ruled it out for a long stay. I am also a Hilton Gold, and then looked at the Hilton offering. It was on sale and about the same price as the Styles ( and similar distance out of town - but there was nothing around the hotel ) but it had facilities, ( bigger rooms - and we got a suite upgrade as hotel almost empty ) and a decent restaurant ( and free breakfast ). So booked. Then realised a few days before trip I was a day missing. So booked and burnt points at the Ibis.Taxi from the Hilton to City Center was about 5 - 10 mins and normally around 2€-3€ when the hotel booked it for us ( although one "taxi" said the trip back was 20€ .... so we used another - always ask price before trip - or get one with a meter ) We spaced out our sight seeing over 7 days, and took our time. There was a few days of heavy rain - and the hotel pool was well used, and binged watched Netflix ( yes sad )

The last day was at the Ibis. We experienced a different side of the town from a center stay.

We normally try to stay in two ( or more ) different hotels when we stay in a City, to experience the flavours and styles of different neighbourhoods. However this trip was more about R and R than city sights ( unless you like statues - there are so so many ).

Next time we will visit the lakes at the south of the country.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:09 pm
sfo

I checked out the price difference between the Ibis and ibis Styles. Choose a couple of days in May. Ibis was 58 euro and Ibis Styles 38 euro. I would walk a mile or two to save 20 euros a day 🙂
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:32 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sfo
I checked out the price difference between the Ibis and ibis Styles. Choose a couple of days in May. Ibis was 58 euro and Ibis Styles 38 euro. I would walk a mile or two to save 20 euros a day 🙂

So would I, for that price difference - or even take a taxi .... we found that the taxi service was good, if the hotel ordered one for you. You could get them to take you directly to the tourist attraction you wanted to visit ( and it was nomaly the same cost as say a taxi to the Stone Bridge in the center of the City ). The restaurants in town were busy (locals eating) and cheap. Very meat dominated though, and large portions. The pastries were similar in quality to the French, but not at the French exorbanate prices - even in the tourist areas of the old town. We gained a lot of excess weight.

However, I would not expect either hotel to be open in May, due to the horrible virus. There are about 800 or so cases and sadly 34 deaths as of today, and the Ibis is now an isolation hospital facility ( as far as I can tell from its Facebook page ).
sfo likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:38 pm
sfo

It is available on the the Accor website, but may not be updated. I would not be traveling in that region until late October or beyond that. More than likely the way things are going it probably won't be until 2021, at least I hopefully have something to look forward to.
hotel_user likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.