Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Accor to eliminate single-use plastics from guest experience

Old Jan 23, 20, 8:01 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum

French hotel group Accor has committed to remove all single-use plastic items from its guest experience, at all hotels globally, by 2022.

Accor has previously committed to eliminating all plastic stirrers, straws and cotton buds from its properties, with 94 per cent of hotels already having achieved this target. The remaining 6 per cent, which the firm says are “mostly in China”, will follow suit by the end of March.

Beyond this the group has confirmed it will now remove individual toiletry amenities and plastic cups from guest rooms by the end of this year....
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ience-by-2022/
Old Jan 26, 20, 10:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite, BT VIP, Radisson Gold, Accor Platinum
Noticed yesterday, ibis Blackfriars had replaced the plastic coffee spoons in the room with proper ones. Small thing, but I liked it.
Goldorak and IMH like this.
Old Jan 26, 20, 5:07 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
Accor says that items set to be removed include plastic bags for laundry or extra pillows, plastic water bottles, all plastic packaging (for food, welcome products, etc), plastic take-away dishes and tableware, plastic gifts and welcome products (toiletries, slippers, pencils, etc), and plastic keycards.
They want to remove plastic keycards? I always thought keycards were reusable from one guest to the next. Surely when I leave my keycard in my room, or with the front desk upon checkout, they get reused. What are they going to replace them with?
SkyteamEP, Koby and Goldorak like this.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Jan 26, 20 at 6:04 pm
Old Jan 27, 20, 2:13 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold, Accor & IHG Plat, Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by CanadaDH View Post
They want to remove plastic keycards? [...] What are they going to replace them with?

I've been issued with some surprisingly robust wood fibre key cards (non-laminated, plastic-free) and of course smartphone users can be given digital keys.
Old Jan 28, 20, 6:25 am

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Well, about time - although I hope they do not go overkill on that (keycards? really?).

That said, I cannot help but notice they said "plastic", as if it was the only problem. We all know that PAPER cups are part of the Novotel "standard", and sadly have crept into some Mercures as well. Not only do they take away from the experience, but also each paper cup takes exponentially much more water to produce (and be recycled - if its possible to recycle one at all, as most are laminated and thus uncrecycleable) than one would need to simply wash a glass or ceramic cup.

Not to mention the sample-sized hotel toiletries, that are not only very "unsustainable", but their contents smell awfully (both in Mercures and Novotels) and are often quite low-quality. Accor hotels are also notorious for promoting "Nespresso" style machines that use capsules that bear very heavily on the environment.

Last edited by JTCz; Jan 28, 20 at 6:29 pm
Old Jan 28, 20, 7:46 am
IMH

Originally Posted by JTCz View Post
"Nespresso" style machines that [...] bear very heavily on the environment.
You've got me. Being able to drink a vaguely real coffee in the morning without getting dressed and leaving my room is a luxury I really appreciate. But you're right, of course -- and there's certainly no adequate excuse for using pad or capsule machines in lounges or restaurants, both of which I've seen far too frequently.
Old Jan 28, 20, 8:29 am

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
In eliminating toiletries I hope they do not see introducing bulk as an opportunity to reduce the quality of the product and equally that bar soap is a plastic free product and therefore should remain.
Old Jan 28, 20, 6:28 pm

In eliminating toiletries I hope they do not see introducing bulk as an opportunity to reduce the quality
Have you been to a Mercure or Novotel recently? It is simply not possible. I am writing this from a Mercure in Vienna where there are both toiletries in small packages and a big dispenser of green goo under the shower - same green goo I know from some Ibis Styles. And I much prefer the dispenser shower detergent over the tubed ones.
Old Jan 29, 20, 7:52 am

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
Originally Posted by JTCz View Post
Have you been to a Mercure or Novotel recently? It is simply not possible. I am writing this from a Mercure in Vienna where there are both toiletries in small packages and a big dispenser of green goo under the shower - same green goo I know from some Ibis Styles. And I much prefer the dispenser shower detergent over the tubed ones.
Perhaps there is no common standard.

I've been in the Mercure in La Rochelle and one of the Caen Novotels in recent weeks and in both cases the bulk toiletries were off no worse quality than what was provided previously and I would say the Mercure was a step up on the individual stuff Mercures have been providing now for several years.
Old Jan 31, 20, 5:56 am

Just as I said - the individually-packaged cosmetics from both Mercure and Novotel are so awful that whatever they'd be getting in bulk cannot be worse, and will probably end up being better. Adagio Cologne uses the "bulk" versions of the KEIJI line by Groupe GM, whose small-portion equivalents are frequently encountered in MGalleries, and I would love for Mercures to follow suit (i.e. putting KEIJI in rooms in refillable big dispensers).
Old Feb 1, 20, 12:29 pm
IMH

It should also be acknowledged that in many, many properties there's absolutely no need to provide bottled water.

In those cases where it does make sense, or if it is being offered as a luxury (some people prefer mineral water, some prefer sparkling) then make sure that (i) it genuinely is of good quality and (ii) it hasn't travelled thousands of kilometres.

There is nothing luxurious about serving Norwegian water in China, Italian water in North America or Fijian water anywhere that isn't Fiji. As for Bonaqua, Dasani, Aquafina etc.: just say no.

Last edited by IMH; Feb 1, 20 at 1:46 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 1, 20, 1:10 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by IMH View Post
It should also be acknowledged that in many, many properties there's absolutely no need to provide bottled water.

In those cases where it does make sense, or if it is being offered as a luxury (some people prefer mineral water, some perfer sparkling) then make sure that (i) it genuinely is of good quality and (ii) it hasn't travelled thousands of kilometres.

There is nothing luxurious about serving Norwegian water in China, Italian water in North America or Fijian water anywhere that isn't Fiji. As for Bonaqua, Dasani, Aquafina etc.: just say no.
Even with sparkling water, it doesn't need to be commercially packaged shipped in from somewhere. I recall on a past stay where the hotel provided glass bottles every night at turndown filled with our choice of flat water or sparkling water, so presumably the hotel used a machine to add the carbonation. They were reusable glass bottles with a flip up wire capping mechanism. Both were chilled before being delivered to the room. It would have been a Fairmont, but I can't recall exactly which hotel. The only problem was figuring out which bottle was which, since my wife likes sparkling water and I prefer flat, and the glass bottles looked the same since there were no labels. Had to open one and listen for the pop to figure out sparkling from flat.
IMH and JTCz like this.
Old Feb 1, 20, 1:57 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by CanadaDH View Post
Even with sparkling water, it doesn't need to be commercially packaged shipped in from somewhere.
I completely agree. Tap water, bottled on site or nearby, filtered if it would otherwise stink of chlorine, carbonated if desired, is the best option.

I've seen various simple methods to differentiate still and sparkling -- different coloured caps, a dot on the cap, different coloured glass. Not a tough nut to crack.
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:18 am

I drink tap water all over Europe and only take bottled water if I do not have any empty bottle on me to fill up with tap water for the road. I see no benefit in "luxurious" mineral water, glass bottles are generally less practical than plastic ones (weigh much more, do not close as tight so I am not too happy to put one in my bag with other stuff) and water is water, usually tap tastes better anyway (because it's fresh and anything that could germinate in it has less time to do so).

Anyway, I have just been told on FB that by the end of 2020, all Mercures (at least all in CEE) will have their toiletries replaced with dispensers. YAY!
IMH likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: