Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Status Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by patty canuck
I’ve booked a number of Accor properties in New Zealand for July. Online new bookings allowed me to book ALL flexible rates that included complimentary breakfast while some did not give such an option. I emailed those other properties that weren’t clear and they’ve replied that as a ALL Diamond - not Accor Plus Diamond- I had DAILY (read weekday) complimentary breakfasts too… so I am not sure what else is to be offered out of the AP benefits too. I did not expect daily complimentary breakfast.

I have emailed some of those properties for clarification on ALL Diamonds being given additional benefits outside of the comped breakfast while onsite (ie not including the free room night).

I am aware of the AP program as I did have that just prior to covid19 lockdowns and let it expire as I was not going back to that part of the world previously, but if they will give me benefits similar to AP-D, then why pay more for them same?

Can anyone please elaborate or confirm this happens where ALL diamonds are treated similarly to AP diamonds?
Daily breakfast is a benefit for Platinum and Diamond in the Asia-Pacific region. It's only outside of APAC where the stupid Diamond weekend breakfast matters.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
I'm looking at the Sofitel Montreal, trying to book a Thursday - Sunday stay.
Among all the prices that are proposed, the two cheapest ones are a "Stay longer and save"

Total price: $1475,05 + 29*3 for breakfast = 1562,05

The second one is a "ALL - Prepaid - Free breakfast on weekend"

Total price: $1562,95

It's actually cheaper to pay for breakfast... What an amazing benefit...
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, QR Plat, Accor ALL Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
I'm looking at the Sofitel Montreal, trying to book a Thursday - Sunday stay.
Among all the prices that are proposed, the two cheapest ones are a "Stay longer and save"

It's actually cheaper to pay for breakfast... What an amazing benefit...
Yeah Accor's rates are a joke with the breakfast benefit. However, as a Diamond member, I haven't yet been to a hotel (of the eligible ones) that I was not granted free breakfast on weekends regardless of the rate booked.

Is there an event going on in Montreal these dates? The prices look super high.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bellerophontes
YIs there an event going on in Montreal these dates? The prices look super high.
Was thinking the same. Rates are insane.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
Just to be clear, rates are in CAD. I don't think there is anything major going in Montreal on those dates.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
Just to be clear, rates are in CAD. I don't think there is anything major going in Montreal on those dates.
Even in CAD, it's high. This hotel is usually cheaper (I stayed there many times).
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:42 am

I like Accor’s luxury brands . I made Platinum last year and could go for Diamond this year . However , it doesn’t appear that Diamond is a status that one should aspire to achieve . Reading these threads , I don’t see much that would inspire me to move beyond Platinum. The benefits at Diamond seem to be underwhelming.

Just my 2 cents - Diamond should offer breakfast plus 1 guest weekdays worldwide . Diamond benefits should include “guaranteed “ early and late check-in . The upgrade benefit should be further defined such as a 2 category upgrade , excluding specialty suites and villas , based on availability at check-in. While some properties go above and beyond the published benefits , it should be the standard , not the exception.

If it seems I am trying to turn Diamond into IHG Royal Ambassador, well that’s kind of what I am proposing . I find Royal Ambassador program to be rich in benefits . I would find it very hard to leave Royal Ambassador to become a Diamond . Yes , Accor has great reach and properties at all price points. That being said , Diamond does not seem to offer enough for Accor’s top spenders.

Of course , I may be missing some things and welcome any and all comments . Thanks
remymartin likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
I like Accor’s luxury brands . I made Platinum last year and could go for Diamond this year . However , it doesn’t appear that Diamond is a status that one should aspire to achieve . Reading these threads , I don’t see much that would inspire me to move beyond Platinum. The benefits at Diamond seem to be underwhelming.

Just my 2 cents - Diamond should offer breakfast plus 1 guest weekdays worldwide . Diamond benefits should include “guaranteed “ early and late check-in . The upgrade benefit should be further defined such as a 2 category upgrade , excluding specialty suites and villas , based on availability at check-in. While some properties go above and beyond the published benefits , it should be the standard , not the exception.

If it seems I am trying to turn Diamond into IHG Royal Ambassador, well that’s kind of what I am proposing . I find Royal Ambassador program to be rich in benefits . I would find it very hard to leave Royal Ambassador to become a Diamond . Yes , Accor has great reach and properties at all price points. That being said , Diamond does not seem to offer enough for Accor’s top spenders.

Of course , I may be missing some things and welcome any and all comments . Thanks
You're not missing anything! I don't think that anybody who is Diamond, actually aspired to reach it. It just sort of happens through regular stays. I would not advise anyone to specially plan their stays, or book an additional stay, in order to reach it. That said, it's still a pretty easy level to reach, which may be why they don't include much of value in the benefits.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:23 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Spot on! I wouldn't spend any extra to just become ALL Diamond. The extra benefits are almost non-existent compared to Platinum and so far I haven't been treated any better than as a Platinum member.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 11:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Spot on! I wouldn't spend any extra to just become ALL Diamond. The extra benefits are almost non-existent compared to Platinum and so far I haven't been treated any better than as a Platinum member.
And outside Asia, no extra benefits compared to gold...
remymartin likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
You're not missing anything! I don't think that anybody who is Diamond, actually aspired to reach it. It just sort of happens through regular stays.
I beg to differ - if one aspires to hold several hotel chain cards, it does (often) require planning. I must say I've been shocked at the difference not only Diamond vs Plat, but even Diamond vs Gold. Asia isn't very open right now, so it's really hard to get a broader comparison, however in Europe I get treated better in some other chains, where I hold comparably lower status.
bellerophontes likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
I beg to differ - if one aspires to hold several hotel chain cards, it does (often) require planning. I must say I've been shocked at the difference not only Diamond vs Plat, but even Diamond vs Gold. Asia isn't very open right now, so it's really hard to get a broader comparison, however in Europe I get treated better in some other chains, where I hold comparably lower status.
Sure, in other chains. But we're all specifically talking about Accor. I don't see why anybody would go out of their way, to actually try to reach Diamond in Accor, because it doesn't offer anything beyond Platinum. Anybody who is strategic about planning their stays to achieve status, and is looking to do so in multiple chains, would be well advised to put the effort into earning that top status elsewhere, not Accor Diamond.

If I was Platinum and short of Diamond, no way would I spend more money on another stay just to get it. Gold to Plat, perhaps. Plat to Diamond? No way!

Last edited by CanadaDH; Mar 31, 2022 at 12:25 pm
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
If I was Platinum and short of Diamond, no way would I spend more money on another stay just to get it. Gold to Plat, perhaps. Plat to Diamond? No way!
Indeed, after experience we know. But since this thread has little traction, the newbies such as myself before, simply do not/did not know. I was very happy to have Accor Gold back in the day as my tertiary programme. Last year I opted to taste Accor Diamond out of interest, and so far I have sorely disappointed. Repeat hotels that gave me suites as plat have not repeated this as Diamond. Indeed one repeat hotel even gave me a lower category upgrade than back when I stayed with them as Gold.
Mister Nice likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:07 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I received an email this week saying that my Diamond card is on the way.
Did you also receive your Diamond card? I had that same email telling me that my card is on its way and that it would take 2–3 weeks to arrive. That was seven weeks ago and of course no card.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Did you also receive your Diamond card? I had that same email telling me that my card is on its way and that it would take 2–3 weeks to arrive. That was seven weeks ago and of course no card.
not yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.