Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Status Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by tris06
Hi guys it looks like I might become a diamond member at the end of this month. I am going to be so close I might treat my wife and her mum to a nice massage (Christmas present) to get over the line. I know the benefits are not much more than plat members but I am thinking it would be worth it because likely they will make 2021 easy to renew (actually they already did) and if say in 2022 or 2023 I have some reason I do not travel much I can get a soft landing back to plat.

Did anyone notice any difference of how they were treated by hotels being diamond members? I hope they add 1 more benefit or 2 in the next 1-2 years. In reality I probably only usually spend around that 6000 Euro mark but with less flying I allowed myself to spend more at hotels nearby and hence the higher number of points this year.
During Q1, I didn't see any difference being Diamond compared to Platinum, with the noticeable exception of a stay in Dubai. Q2 was a complete write-off due to France lockdown and all the travel restrictions. Since mid-year with travel resumption within Europe, I have seen a much better treatment in several hotels :
- systematic upgrade (no need to bargain and hear bad excuses)
- bottle of champagne or wine offered in room with nice snack platters
- early check-in and late check out (I mean real ones like checking-in early morning and checkout at 5 or 6 pm). For this, we are of course helped by the lower occupancy in Covid time.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I'm not sure how to make a prediction on whether treatment as a Diamond will be better. I can't say that I've had better treatment as a Diamond member, but then, I've only ever been a Diamond member since the tier was added. I'm not sure it's a fair comparison to my days as Platinum, because at the time I was Platinum, it was the highest tier available at the time. I'd be interested to hear from someone who spent a year or two (non-COVID) as Platinum but after Diamond was added, and then spent a year or two as Diamond (again, non-COVID). We need more time to get those experiences and reports.

This year it's even more difficult to say, with occupancy being so low everywhere. I've been proactively given 6 PM checkouts on my stays this year, but then with COVID protocols forcing the room to sit empty for 2 days between guests, and occupancy being so low, I'd be more surprised if they didn't give a late checkout, and not just for Diamond members. That should be easy for most hotels to offer right now.

I've found that the quality of my welcome amenities seems to vary by property. I regularly get a couple of bottles of wine in the room at the Chateau Lake Louise, and have so for years. At other hotels that I frequent, I've never received a bottle of wine. I attribute those benefits to the specific hotel and not my membership status.

As for upgrades on arrival, even as a Diamond, I don't think I've ever had one.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:27 pm

Programs: *G (as are spouse and 2 kids), ACCOR ALL DIAMOND, Marriott - GE
Diamond levels

I was recently told I was a “D1” and the top level of Diamond is D5.

How are these decided? I cannot imagine the “black” level, but if someone wants to explain those too, I’m sure there is an audience
Old Aug 3, 2021, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by patty canuck
I was recently told I was a “D1” and the top level of Diamond is D5.

How are these decided? I cannot imagine the “black” level, but if someone wants to explain those too, I’m sure there is an audience
not sure at all but it’s maybe linked to the number of status points you earn. For instance, at 26k, you’re D1, 30K = D2, etc
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: ALL Accor - Platinum
That's interesting. I wonder if there'd be a lot more D3, D4, D5s this year because of the rollover and double points granting.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by beefyT
That's interesting. I wonder if there'd be a lot more D3, D4, D5s this year because of the rollover and double points granting.
compared to a regular year, I doubt it very much.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 3:12 am

Programs: Accor Diamond, GHA Black
Thanks for sharing this information,
According to the Accor app, I should currently be at D-2, and the thing is, I'm currently at around 57k Status points.(Since last year's points were brought forward)
I am already in quite deep with Accor and I cant imagine what kind of spending a D-5 would have, much less a Black.

I am still unable to post a link or picture here as I am new, but there is a way to see which D rank you are based on the Accor app.
Sometimes, you would be able to see availability for hotels that are currently still closed on the Accor app. If so, you would only see a single rate called "ALL Guaranteed Room D-1/2/3/4/5", no other rates would be available. I remember that I used to see mine being D-1, now it shows D-2.
By the way, I tried booking this "ALL Guaranteed Room" at a hotel that was currently still closed, and the hotel just called to let me know that since they are still closed, they would have to cancel my booking.

Last edited by Keyaki; Sep 3, 2021 at 3:14 am Reason: Sentence error
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Keyaki
Thanks for sharing this information,
According to the Accor app, I should currently be at D-2, and the thing is, I'm currently at around 57k Status points.(Since last year's points were brought forward)
I am already in quite deep with Accor and I cant imagine what kind of spending a D-5 would have, much less a Black.

I am still unable to post a link or picture here as I am new, but there is a way to see which D rank you are based on the Accor app.
Sometimes, you would be able to see availability for hotels that are currently still closed on the Accor app. If so, you would only see a single rate called "ALL Guaranteed Room D-1/2/3/4/5", no other rates would be available. I remember that I used to see mine being D-1, now it shows D-2.
By the way, I tried booking this "ALL Guaranteed Room" at a hotel that was currently still closed, and the hotel just called to let me know that since they are still closed, they would have to cancel my booking.
Other than one post on here, about some anecdotal comments made at a hotel, I've never heard of a D1 vs. D2, etc., or where you would even be able to see said classification.

Where in the app are you seeing this?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: Accor Diamond, GHA Black
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Other than one post on here, about some anecdotal comments made at a hotel, I've never heard of a D1 vs. D2, etc., or where you would even be able to see said classification.

Where in the app are you seeing this?
I will be more specific, try searching Bangkok, 6 October - 7 October, Mövenpick BDMS Wellness Resort, click into ‘see room rates’ and just click into ‘see rates’ of any rooms.
To my knowledge, this hotel is currently used as a Quarantine facility and it shouldn’t have availability for you to make a reservation, but somehow they are offering rooms on the app. The rate name should be something like “ ALL Guaranteed Room D-__”
I would post a screenshot of what I see, unfortunately I am not able to as I am still new here
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:28 am

This is a dummy booking for the Fairmont Pittsburgh for a few days in March. I have 66k+ status points at the moment … large part due to the double status point bonus
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:07 am
R2

I will be more specific, try searching Bangkok, 6 October - 7 October, Mövenpick BDMS Wellness Resort, click into ‘see room rates’ and just click into ‘see rates’ of any rooms.
To my knowledge, this hotel is currently used as a Quarantine facility and it shouldn’t have availability for you to make a reservation, but somehow they are offering rooms on the app. The rate name should be something like “ ALL Guaranteed Room D-__”
I would post a screenshot of what I see, unfortunately I am not able to as I am still new here
I'm a Platinum member and I am offered the same D-2 rate at this hotel.

Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

I think this is just D as in Day. D-2 means 48hrs advance booking.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:54 pm

I can confirm that's not related to Diamond. I did a search under my account, and see the same results as you. I logged out of my account, and see no availability. I then logged in as my wife, who is only ALL Platinum, and I again see the Guaranteed "D-2" rates. It's got nothing to do with your level of Diamond, or even just for Diamond members at all.

I think Diamond is Diamond, and that's that. If there are internal sub-tiers within that, then I've never seen it.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I think this is just D as in Day. D-2 means 48hrs advance booking.
You are right. Gold members get D-3 garanteed room
Goldorak likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I think Diamond is Diamond, and that's that. If there are internal sub-tiers within that, then I've never seen it.
I'm cool with that - again, it was brought up independently at two different properties without me starting the conversation so I thought I would ask here on Flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.