FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Fairmont Chateau Whistler Gold or "Regular" ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/2002631-fairmont-chateau-whistler-gold-regular.html)

Synthesis Jan 4, 2020 7:11 am

Fairmont Chateau Whistler Gold or "Regular" ?

I'll be staying at this property with my family in February, 2 adults and 2 kids/babies (ages 0 and 3).

I was wondering whether to get the Gold Queen/Queen or a regular room (slightly cheaper but not that much). Would hope for an upgrade in either case with Platinum but not sure which would result in the best room or suite? There seem to be much fewer Gold rooms/suites too. If getting the Gold standard room is this likely to get upgraded to a Gold suite if it's available? Some of the non-Gold suites actually do look better (on photo), and not sure how much use we would take of the lounge - seeing as also they "only" serve continental breakfast there too...

CanadaDH Jan 4, 2020 8:12 am

I've only ever booked the Gold floor at this property, so I can't compare to non-Gold, and it's been a few years. However, it was very nice. Fairmont Gold at Whistler is actually not a full floor, but rather they consume only half of the 8th floor, which is good, because it limits crowding in the lounge.

I would suggest that you book the room you want, and not expect any upgrade. I think your chances are very low. Whistler in February is a popular destination, and the hotel will likely be close to sold out, which I think is why this property requires all bookings paid in full around 2 weeks before arrival during high season, even on the full flexible rate. If you really did want to angle for an upgrade, I think your best chances are on non-Gold. There are non-Gold suites with Queen-Queen configuration, but Gold suites are just king bed with sofa. If you do a dummy booking with 2 adults and 2 children, I notice the Gold 1 Bed Suite and Gold Junior Suite options both disappear from the available rooms. The specialty Gold suites are still bookable with 2 children, but I wouldn't count on a free upgrade to those!

I did really like the free access to clothes washers and dryers on the Gold floor. Whenever I go on a ski trip, I seem to have a ton of luggage to carry me through 1 to 2 weeks of skiing activities, which means lots of clothes. With a family of 4, this must be even more problematic for you. Being able to travel a bit lighter and do a quick wash mid trip is nice.

Synthesis Jan 4, 2020 9:05 am

Thank you for the extensive reply CanadaDH. Was thinking similarly to you that the specialty Gold Suites may possibly not be given. Only stay there 4 days though and not sure if we'll ski with the kids (unless there's a babysitter service at the hotel). How is the breakfast for Gold area? If not particularly wow then may simply book non-Gold and then just get a full-on breakfast in the other restaurants.

Synthesis Jan 4, 2020 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Synthesis (Post 31907824)
I'll be staying at this property with my family in February, 2 adults and 2 kids/babies (ages 0 and 3).

I was wondering whether to get the Gold Queen/Queen or a regular room (slightly cheaper but not that much). Would hope for an upgrade in either case with Platinum but not sure which would result in the best room or suite? There seem to be much fewer Gold rooms/suites too. If getting the Gold standard room is this likely to get upgraded to a Gold suite if it's available? Some of the non-Gold suites actually do look better (on photo), and not sure how much use we would take of the lounge - seeing as also they "only" serve continental breakfast there too...

Actually same question but with regard to the Pacific Rim in Vancouver where we'll be staying a few days too.

CanadaDH Jan 4, 2020 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Synthesis (Post 31908140)
Thank you for the extensive reply CanadaDH. Was thinking similarly to you that the specialty Gold Suites may possibly not be given. Only stay there 4 days though and not sure if we'll ski with the kids (unless there's a babysitter service at the hotel). How is the breakfast for Gold area? If not particularly wow then may simply book non-Gold and then just get a full-on breakfast in the other restaurants.

The lounge is nice and the breakfast is fine. The evening canapes are also good. But if you don't see yourself spending much time in the lounge, then you may well be better saving ~$200/night, and booking a non-Gold Deluxe Room, and having slight more space.

If you're there for 4 days, and are thinking you might not ski, they you may well still want the Gold room, because you might find yourself in there relaxing in the lounge more than you think. 4 days is a lot of time to spend wandering around Whistler village if you're not skiing.

theadams Jan 4, 2020 2:16 pm

Of all the Fairmont gold lounges I've been in I think Whistler is the best. The breakfast was amazing as were the canapes in the evening. Outstanding service. I would definitely do a gold room.

CanuckFlyHigh Jan 4, 2020 2:24 pm

Don't expect many upgrades under the new Accor system. They are very stingy. I would highly highly recommend gold, especially if it is close in price.