Club lounge evening wear

Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Club lounge evening wear

I am just wrapping up Christmas holidays across several SEA countries and have enjoyed club lounges with Novotel, Pullman, Swissotel and Sofitel. I only stayed at one hotel (Pullman Jakarta Central Park) where guests were kindly asked to wear appropriate evening wear. The other lounges seemed to have no dress code at all. Flip flops, singlet shirts and in one case swim trunks.
What are your experiences, and, does lack of dress code matter to you?
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised, especially that swimwear would be permitted as wet clothing can destroy the furniture. OTOH flip flops can be standard footwear in hot climates and can even be somewhat formal or evening in style, especially for women. Footwear with sand from the beach should be unacceptable. Personally, I prefer not to see singlets or "wife beaters" on men (bare chests would be preferable IMO) but it could be difficult for a hotel to define exactly what clothing is prohibited.

Resort clothing can differ from the standards for city hotels.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
I do prefer to wear always long pants, shirt and shoes at executive lounge, even for breakfast and even during holiday periods
mctaste and remymartin like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
As discussed, it is more important that the clothing and footwear is dry and clean than meet a particular style, also due to differences in hotel character and climate / weather. As far as I am concerned, you may appear there in your bathrobe, as long as it is securely fastened and you're not flashing me

Or perhaps if I am staying alone, I may relax the last condition

But more important is appropriate behaviour - which, I must say, I have rarely if ever had seen any counterexamples of. The worst thing could perhaps be loud behaviour (incl. phone conversations), being inebriated and not reigning in your little ones. Again, I have only experienced positive behaviour in lounges thus far.

Happy New Year and enjoy your lounges everyone!
:D! and hotel_user like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Just arrived at the Raffles Jakarta which now has a lounge. Checked in at 8:15pm and the evening canaps go from 6-9pm(!!!)
I was wearing shorts on the flight here and asked a couple of times if I'd be OK to go into the lounge with shorts. No issues I was told.

Though the welcome letter did state that flip flops and shorts were not allowed.

(Re Pullman CP: I've also seen people come in wearing their bath robes. I was one of their very frequent guests who complained about what some guests wore into the lounge - and one of the reasons why they became quite strict)
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Any time I've been in a Fairmont Gold lounge, they always had a rule that bathing suits and bathrobes were not allowed. Beyond that, I've never seen anything that required 'appropriate evening wear'. I've observed the level of enforcement somewhat mixed. I've seen people walk through in a bathrobe and slippers to grab some drinks and dessert and take them back to their room without any difficulty. And while I would never feel comfortable doing that myself, I can't say I'm particularly bothered by it. However, if a group of people sit down in the lounge in their robes to relax a while, that's when I typically see staff step in to enforce the rules. I'm more bothered by people coming in wearing wet clothing/bathing suits.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Most hotels have a dress code for club lounges, but few actually enforce it. Personally, I am in favor of a dress code but also a code of conduct in hotel lounges as well as in airline lounges. You see more and more unacceptable behaviors like putting feet on furnitures, walking barefoot, giving video calls without headset, etc.
fransknorge and starflyergold like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I was recently told off in the lounge at the Fairmont Singapore (I'm not a fan of this place unlike many) for wearing sandals in the lounge alongside chinos and a formal but short sleeved shirt. I was told I needed to wear shoes and socks. The manner in which I was told this was far from pleasant so I asked why there was discrimination and inequality when almost every woman present was wearing sandals.

That met with the usual Singapore style response when they only know how to enforce rules but not what to do with a reasonable challenge to them. I said I would await a reasonable response before making any changes to my footwear and was not challenged again over the days until I left though I saw two other men chided. It's not where I usually stay in Singapore so I doubt I'll be back any time soon.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
This morning I was shocked to see someone in the breakfast room wearing swim wear. So yes, a dress code should be in place
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
If a lounge has rules, I follow them. If they don't, I live and let live. I am not much for wearing a suit to breakfast when I am on holiday to be honest but to each his/her own.
hotel_user and wkndtraveler like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:36 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by remymartin
This morning I was shocked to see someone in the breakfast room wearing swim wear. So yes, a dress code should be in place
What kind of swimwear and whereabouts? I wouldn't sport morning dress to a breakfast in a tropical resort...

Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by JTCz
What kind of swimwear and whereabouts? I wouldn't sport morning dress to a breakfast in a tropical resort...

Show off
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by JTCz
Bangkok city hotel. Breakfast basically in the lobby.

I did see worse, though - in a Phuket Accor lobby a corpulent individual in two sizes too small speedos and shoes only at the reception counter.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Show off

Nah, the floating breakfast is the thing now .... or so I have been told
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by remymartin
Bangkok city hotel. Breakfast basically in the lobby.

I did see worse, though - in a Phuket Accor lobby a corpulent individual in two sizes too small speedos and shoes only at the reception counter.

Maybe they had an all you can eat offer ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.