Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Fairmont Black Friday Gift Card Sale Returns!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist

Friday, November 29, from 2-5 pm EST. 20% bonus as previously.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by rfrost; Nov 25, 2019 at 7:45 am
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:47 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Great, thanks for the heads up!
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Is it possible to pay for a stay with multiple Fairmont gift cards?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by steveholt
Is it possible to pay for a stay with multiple Fairmont gift cards?
Yes. You can apply as many gift cards as you like.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: ALL Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by rfrost
Friday, November 29, from 2-5 pm EST. 20% bonus as previously.
Thanks for the notification. Where will I be able to purchase the cards, is there a link available?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:22 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
https://www.fairmont.com/about-us/gu...ces/gift-shop/

as per https://onemileatatime.com/fairmont-gift-card-bonus/
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Marky Marks
Thanks for the notification. Where will I be able to purchase the cards, is there a link available?
From the official site... www.fairmontgiftcard.com

Terms are the same as past promotions, and posted at the same site as usual:
e-GIFT CARD PROMOTION RULES & REGULATIONS: Fairmont Moments
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:10 pm

The author of that article doesn't seem to have used the cards much, based on some of his statements.

Historically each person can only take advantage of the promotion once, though you can purchase up to $5,000 worth of gift cards under the offer, which would lead to a $1,000 bonus.
Not really. The terms have always been very clear, that you can only use the promotion once per credit card. There is no per person limit. They don't validate the names and cross check for duplicate orders per person. The terms even suggest that you use another credit card if you want to buy more than $5,000 in certificates.

You can choose whether you want to buy gift cards in USD or CAD. While you can use the gift cards in currencies other than the ones they’re issued in, the conversion rates used for those purposes may be unfavorable.
There is nothing unfavourable about the Fairmont gift card exchange rates. With many chains, there is. I know Four Seasons cards when used in foreign countries, are converted by the hotel using their cash rate, which generally sucks. The Fairmont gift card terminals use the OANDA spot rate with no exchange premium applied. I don't have a credit card in my wallet that can get me an exchange rate as good as using a Fairmont gift card.

For the past few years Fairmont has been offering bonuses on gift card purchases at least twice a year.
For several years, it's been exactly two per year. In the fall, it's always on Black Friday.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:52 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Sorry, I did not mean to endorse it, I just wanted to find a source other than me just posting the link
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:04 am

Has there been an official notification of this sale taking place? I haven’t seen anything from Fairmont. I know it has happened in the past but things have changed a lot in the last year. The links noted in the posts above relate to 2018.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by SometimeTraveler
Has there been an official notification of this sale taking place? I haven’t seen anything from Fairmont. I know it has happened in the past but things have changed a lot in the last year. The links noted in the posts above relate to 2018.
Read it again... the official link from Fairmont I posted above says:

...will take place on Friday November 29, 2019 between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (“EST”).
It was also announced on their official Facebook page.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:10 am

Thanks Canada DH. I missed the post on Facebook. I have read your post in the past and you always give good advice so I should have believed you when you said this sale was happening.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
Can these be used to prepay for a stay, like a prepaid rate on the website under the Black Friday sale? Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Beckett66
Can these be used to prepay for a stay, like a prepaid rate on the website under the Black Friday sale? Thanks.
No, I've never been able to prepay a deposit using a gift card. However, the hotel has always refunded any deposit back to my credit card upon check-out, so I could then pay by gift card instead. The only drawback is that if the hotel is in a different currency than your credit card, you will probably lose a few percentage points on the spread between the charge and refund. However, the 17% savings from the gift card discount should more than offset that exchange loss.
Beckett66 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
No, I've never been able to prepay a deposit using a gift card. However, the hotel has always refunded any deposit back to my credit card upon check-out, so I could then pay by gift card instead. The only drawback is that if the hotel is in a different currency than your credit card, you will probably lose a few percentage points on the spread between the charge and refund. However, the 17% savings from the gift card discount should more than offset that exchange loss.
You could also potentially earn a few bucks if your gift cards are in a currency that has strengthened since you booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.