Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Mercure Bologna Centro: the 70s called ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Mercure Bologna Centro

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Mercure Bologna Centro

Viale Pietro Pietramellara 59 Bologna, IT 40121

Mercure Bologna Centro: the 70s called ... (6 Photos)

Mercure Bologna Centro

I choose this hotel due to its location. As I was landing in BLQ late at night I wanted something easy reachable from the airport. The hotel fit the bill as it is in front of the Central Station, which is the terminus of the airport bus shuttle.

Moreover the rate was quite attractive. So I booked praying the reviews on Trip Advisor might not be accurate. 

Check In

I was given my litteral key to my room quickly after arrival, there was no paper to sign nor any authorization taken on my card. Drink voucher was also given and my status (Silver now) recognized.

The key are the old school type and needs to be dropped when going out.

DSC00233.JPG

Room

The room are old, really old. I had booked a twin and had the bad surprise to discover two singles. The furniture is worned, the wallpaper is cracking in some places and the lightning bleak.

Unfortunately this is not helped by the hard mattress, the one plug and the awkwardly placed closet where the safe is located. 

The room was on the last floor and facing south. This facade is facing a courtyard so low level rooms will be in a nice shadow but not mine. The sun was shining all days long and the AC does not work correctly. I had to keep the window open including at night to keep the temperature comfortable. Considering this was February, I shudder to think of what it would be in summer.

DSC00231.JPG

DSC00232.JPG

The bathroom was not great either, the floor tiles were broken and not level. Poor pressure of the shower and one towel only furnished (standard according to the reception).

DSC00229.JPG

DSC00230.JPG

Dining

The breakfast buffet was really bad, one of the worst I have seen for a Mercure. The juice watered down, the scrambled egg chemical, some cold cut and one choice of cereal only, plus canned fruits. 

The pastries were surprisingly good, but more adequate for afternoon tea than for breakfast, with exception of the croissant.

20190216_092738.jpg

My usual selection was quite reduced due to the poor choices.

The location is great: in front of the Central station, so perfect for a night between two trains. Also the station is the last stop of the bus from the airport, so very convenient for those flying. 

The old town is a few minutes by walk. And there was several people on convention there, so I assume the hotel is convenient also for the convention center. 

Overall

This is what Mercure is as its worst: an old hotel with poor quality hard and soft product. After a renovation this could be a good hotel but until then, it is to be avoided. 

Note that the Welcome drink was valid for all drinks except Millesimes Champagne and liqueur, one drink per guest registered with the card holder.

Would you like to write a review on the Mercure Bologna Centro?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I have stayed in this hotel 2 or 3 times. The 1st time it was still a Sofitel (yes...) and the next times it was rebranded as Mercure. Last time was many years ago (may be 13-14) and, looking at your pictures, nothing has changed. It was already like that. It was in acceptable conditions last time (although nothing exceptional of course) so I can imagine how it is now.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I have stayed in this hotel 2 or 3 times. The 1st time it was still a Sofitel (yes...) and the next times it was rebranded as Mercure. Last time was many years ago (may be 13-14) and, looking at your pictures, nothing has changed. It was already like that. It was in acceptable conditions last time (although nothing exceptional of course) so I can imagine how it is now.
Soon it will be a "Greet" Hotel
Dav77 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Reads almost like my TA review of same hotel back in 2012. Interesting to see this time-travelling hotel provides the same, consistent experience, no matter what year you check in!
scottpenderson, kaizen7 and Dav77 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:27 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Originally Posted by JTCz
Reads almost like my TA review of same hotel back in 2012. Interesting to see this time-travelling hotel provides the same, consistent experience, no matter what year you check in!
No matter what decade you check in!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Welcome in Accor Italy 😃

hotel_user likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Dav77
Welcome in Accor Italy 😃
Not only Accor, TBH. I have always found hotels in Italy being generally sub-standard compared to “close countries”. A shame for such a beautiful country.
JTCz and Dav77 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak

Not only Accor, TBH. I have always found hotels in Italy being generally sub-standard compared to “close countries”. A shame for such a beautiful country.
you are sadly right ... we are at least 20 years late on that (and probably not only on that ...)

of course you can find high number of 4* and 5* very nice hotels, but at really high rates.

The problem is on Middle price 3* and 4* hotels, generally (if not often or always) sub-standard compared not only to “close countries” ...

we have some places in italy with highest density of hotels (like Rimini) in Europe where is difficult to find a really decent 4* hotel at correct rate.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
It is not only the hard product problem, resulting perhaps from the years and years of compounded economic stagnation, but also the lack of authentic hospitality culture. No matter the standard or newness of the hotel (and Accor does have a number of quite new, fresh and impressive hotels in Italy - see MGallery LaGare Milano for example), the customer-facing staff have almost to a fault been aloof, stand-offish, inflexible and unhelpful, powered by a barrage of policies reminding me of communist-era holiday resorts. "No sitting here", "no irons or boards in hotel", "impossible to switch room", "we need to double-charge your card" etc.
schauschun likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:04 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
@fransknorge, thank you for the review.

I need to stay one night in Bologna and Accor options aren't that good. The other hotel is Novotel but it's out of city center. Any experiences of that? @Dav77?
Old May 30, 2019, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
@fransknorge, thank you for the review.

I need to stay one night in Bologna and Accor options aren't that good. The other hotel is Novotel but it's out of city center. Any experiences of that? @Dav77?
the Novotel is a good option. Very nice hotel in the fair district. Not so far from city center (approximately 2 km)

if you are looking for something nearer the city center there is AC Hotel (1 km).

If you want to stay inside the city center I can recommend you the followings, depending on your budget:

Hotel Metropolitan

UNAHOTEL (near the Mercure - not the “bologna fiera” one, there are 2 UNAHOTEL in Bologna)

Art Hotel Novecento

Hotel Touring

wkndtraveler likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I stayed here in August 2018 and what a fun experience it was. Very retro with very weird service. I thought it was charming in a kind of weird twisted way, but it was too much even for me when there was a dead cockroach on the carpet in my room. In addition to this, there were previous guest's hairs all over the bathroom. When I went down, they told me I could get another room but didn't proactively offer any compensation. After a discussion they offered to "upgrade" me into a Privilege room which was identical to the basic room. They told me this will come with a complimentary minibar telling me to enjoy my drinks. When I arrived in the room, there were two bottles of water and one bottle of orange juice in the fridge. But still, I kind of consider this property unique.
wkndtraveler and Dav77 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
After a discussion they offered to "upgrade" me into a Privilege room which was identical to the basic room. They told me this will come with a complimentary minibar telling me to enjoy my drinks. When I arrived in the room, there were two bottles of water and one bottle of orange juice in the fridge. But still, I kind of consider this property unique.
it remember my stay at Mercure in the mountains last winter 😂😂😂
Old May 31, 2019, 11:50 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by JTCz
I marked my personal calendar in 2026 to remind me to check this thread and see the latest developments regarding this hotel
JTCz and Dav77 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:49 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
This seems odd. Both Accor hotels in Bologna, the Mercure and the Novotel, only offers non-flexible rates without member's discount, despite the fact both of them lists member's rate as a platinum benefit. Is this how it should be or have I missed something?

One can also question whether the Novotel is newly built and has a contemporary style. Based on the photos, the style dates back to early 2000 at least. But of course, if one compares it to the Mercure then it certainly is contemporary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.