Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Mercure Bologna Centro: the 70s called ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mercure Bologna Centro: the 70s called ...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
This seems odd. Both Accor hotels in Bologna, the Mercure and the Novotel, only offers non-flexible rates without member's discount, despite the fact both of them lists member's rate as a platinum benefit. Is this how it should be or have I missed something?

One can also question whether the Novotel is newly built and has a contemporary style. Based on the photos, the style dates back to early 2000 at least. But of course, if one compares it to the Mercure then it certainly is contemporary.

Are you trying to book more than one room ?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:15 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by nrouxel
Are you trying to book more than one room ?
Just one room for two. I checked different dates and sometimes the member's rate appears, sometimes it doesn't. When we need to be in the city the member's rate isn't offered.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:03 am

Okay, the mystery is solved. Hotels has set several black-out dates during which time the member's rate isn't valid. I couldn't think of this since the member's rate isn't any promotion. But that's written in T&Cs.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Okay, the mystery is solved. Hotels has set several black-out dates during which time the member's rate isn't valid. I couldn't think of this since the member's rate isn't any promotion. But that's written in T&Cs.
There are lot of exibitions at fair district in Bologna during May and June.

That could be the reason.

I have experienced same issue several time for the same reason at Novotel Bologna and Mercures in Rimini also.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:46 am

I decided to take the risk and book this hotel for my September stay. After booking, I received this email:

Arrivederci! We hope you enjoyed your stay with us. Please find attached your final invoice.

It seems that I've done time travel.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
You should ask them what lottery number will be up for now until September.

wkndtraveler and Dav77 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
I decided to take the risk and book this hotel for my September stay. After booking, I received this email:

Arrivederci! We hope you enjoyed your stay with us. Please find attached your final invoice.

It seems that I've done time travel.
people from Bologna are very strange ....

in fact, if you want to meet the best people in Italy you have to travel just 30 km to Modena 😊
wkndtraveler likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:57 am

Hotel review: Mercure Bologna Centro

Mercure Bologna Centro

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Mercure Bologna Centro

Viale Pietro Pietramellara 59 Bologna, IT 40121

Hotel review: Mercure Bologna Centro (27 Photos)

Mercure Bologna Centro

Check In

I arrived at 2pm and my room was ready. I had booked a standard room with double bed and I received a privilege room with double bed. A voucher for welcome drinks was given proactively without need to ask for it. The check-in agent was very kind and she gave a good first impression of the hotel. I felt welcome.

2_entrance.jpg
Main entrance.

7_lobby.jpg
Lobby.

2_front desk.jpg
The famous keys.

1_bar1.jpg
Lobby bar.

1_bar2.jpg
The lobby area and bar looks quite nice actually.

Room

Well, what can I say. I think I have never stayed in a hotel room that has been as dated and worn. It was quite small (20 sqm), dark and musty. Wallpapers were cracking here and there, ceiling had signs of a leak damage and blackout curtains had a hole.

There was only one socket. It was challenging to charge a laptop and two smart phones. That one socket was also needed when using a Nespresso machine (yes, there was one with six capsules – yay).

Minibar was complimentary and it was stocked with four bottles of water, both still and sparkling, two sodas and one juice. Pretty good!

Bed was okay, not the best, not the worst, but pillows were too firm to my liking.

1_corridor.jpg
Ancient corridor. 

privilege1.jpg
Curtains were closed when entering to room. 

privilege2.jpg
Dated privilege room.

privilege3.jpg
Privilege room.

privilege4.jpg
Privilege room.

privilege5.jpg
Blackout curtains in the privilege room.

privilege6.jpg
View from a French balcony.

privilege7.jpg
Amenities of the privilege room.

privilege8.jpg
Complimentary minibar.

privilege9.jpg
Cracking wallpaper.

privilege10.jpg
Ceiling.

privilege11.jpg
Bathroom.

privilege12.jpg
The compulsory bidet.

privilege13.jpg
Bath amenities.

privilege14.jpg
Decent amenities.

Loyalty treatment

The drink voucher was good for anything expect millésimes, champagne and spirits. We used for Aperol spritz at the quite cosy lobby bar that also had some seats in garden.

A welcome gift wasn’t given spontaniously so I discretely asked at what time it’s usually delivered. The friendly check-in agent said she doesn’t know and went to back office to ask. Soon she returned telling that the hotel has ran out of stock and asking whether we would like to have a bottle of wine. Yes, please! It was unpredictable and thoughtful.

When we returned in the evening we found a nice bottle of Sangiovese in our room.

I requested a late check-out at 5:30pm and again that wasn’t a problem at all!

2_welcome drinks.jpg
Welcome drinks.

4_welcome gift.jpg
Welcome gift.

Service

The service was superb and made our stay. Except housekeeping.

Although we were two guests, the room had been prepaired for one person only. There was one dental kit, one bathrobe and one pair of slippers.

When I requested the missing amenities a housekeeper told that ”usually we give only one”. Oh, okay. Are guests supposed to share the same toohtbrush?

Amenities were anyway better than at Mercure in Florence. The slippers were of higher quality, similar to Sofitel but with Mercure logo, and they also provided body lotion.

Dining

I only had breakfast which was decent, considering it only costed 12€ (even cheaper if booked in advance). It included all what I needed, such as a few cold cuts, cheese, strong coffee, many kind of sweet treats, fresh fruits, plain yogurt, honey, and jams. Scrambled eggs were of poor quality, though.

7_breakfast1.jpg
Basic hot and cold option were available at breakfast.

6_breakfast2.jpg
Only some of the many sweet treats.

4_breakfast3.jpg
On top of these there are fresh fruits (bananas, apples(!), and oranges in the entrance.

2_breakfast4.jpg
Yogurt station.

The hotel is located perfectly next to the railway station. The location and the service are the best part of the hotel.

2_facade.jpg
The hotel seen from railway station.

Overall

Based on the previous review I knew what to expect and lowered my expectations. Did I punish myself by taking the risk? Would I advise to stay away from the property? No and no. Had I not known how the hotel is like I probably wouldn’t be as positive. That said, I would most likely stay here again if my travels takes me back to Bologna some day.

Hotel review: Mercure Bologna Centro

Would you like to write a review on the Mercure Bologna Centro?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks for the review. This hotel is really in need of urgent renovation. It’s location is indeed perfect.
When you think this was a Sofitel before
hotel_user likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Thanks for the review. This hotel is really in need of urgent renovation.

It's obvious that something need to be done soon but the hotel isn't that bad. Out of the date yes but at the same time clean. The amenities provided were great for the price: a little over 100€.

Originally Posted by Goldorak
When you think this was a Sofitel before

This must be the reason I "liked" it.
Goldorak likes this.

Last edited by wkndtraveler; Sep 8, 2019 at 2:26 am
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I stayed here again this week. Air conditioning was very poor - other than that I think this is slowly becoming my favourite hotel. It's so oldskool that it's funny.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:19 am

I decided to stay at Mercure Bologna Centro again as it is the only Accor hotel in town at the time being, unfortunately. The stay wasn’t satisfactory. Here is a mini review with a few photos.

- What is your ALL status? Diamond

- Were you (or for multi-stayers were you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? No.

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? Booked the best room category, a privilege room, and received that as expected.

- How are the rooms?Not good. I tried two different rooms in the same category.
The first one: old, worn and dim. There were dark spots on the wall and the wallpaper was ripping away. The room had an ashtray with a non-smoking logo on it… I guess the room serves both smoking and non-smoking guests. The complimentary minibar was filled with water. Other amenities included Nespresso machine (five decaffeinated capsules), bathrobes and slippers. Cheap Mercure branded toiletries, not the new Nuxe products.
The second room: new and bright, the interior design reminded me of Sofitel Rome. The laminated floor had different colors here and there which I found odd. I’m not sure whether this was planned or some part of the floor had been changed due to unknown reason. The amenities were the same as in the first room but obviously no-one had used the room for a long time since it had a strong musty smell and there were lots of dust on the surfaces. The shower had no place to put toiletries and the shower floor was filthy. There was an air conditioner in the room but it was weak and kept the temperature too high. There were not enough sockets near the bed. Still better than the museum room first received.

- What was good and what was bad?

Good: The location right next to the railway station. Also, the soundproofing seemed to be decent: didn’t hear much noise from the street.

Bad: Oh, well. This hotel really is in a serious need of renovation and both the management and the staff need a customer service training. The biggest problem, in my opinion, was the loyalty recognition. Actually, the lack of it. At check-in I was told that they have chosen me one of the best rooms. Surely it was the best – in the 1970s. Back downstairs I went and asked for a new, preferably renovated room as I knew they had some. At first, they claimed that they don’t have any of them available and that the hotel is fully booked (on Accor website all room categories were for sale). Four receptionist participated this show, all talking Italian in front of me, trying to find excuses. After challenging them, some went to the back office to talk to a manger and suddenly they had magically received a cancellation for the renovated room (that can’t be booked online) and I was lucky enough to get it. When asking for the welcome gift I was told that they don’t have any, of course. For breakfast they had guts to serve burnt bacon and scrambled eggs.

- Did you get club lounge access? How was the lounge? Lounge? What’s that?

- What about welcome drinks, welcome amenities or any other special perks? A drink voucher with a typical list of exclusions was given but I managed to get a very strong Negroni. Later when I returned to my room I found a bottle of red wine and nuts as a welcome gift that they weren’t suppose to have. A good move but it didn’t save the stay.

- Value for $ or Vouchers? Would you return? This hotel is by no means cheap. I will probably take my business elsewhere. I’m so tired of this begging game.

Privilege room.

Wallpaper in the privilege room.

Coffee capsules, mostly decaffeinated.

Wallpaper in the privilege room.

Complimentary minibar.

Renovated room.

Renovated bathroom.

Floor in the renovated room.

Burnt scrambled eggs and bacon at the breakfast.

Shower floor.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I decided to stay at Mercure Bologna Centro again as it is the only Accor hotel in town at the time being, unfortunately. The stay wasn’t satisfactory. Here is a mini review with a few photos.

Floor in the renovated room.

Shower floor.
OMG for the shower floor and the floor in the renovated room .
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Hotel looks terrible.
It is unfortunate that the beautiful city of Bologna does not have a real luxury hotel.
Even Mr and Mrs Smith only offers the very average Elizabeth Lifestyle hotel.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:27 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Seems like you stayed at the same "privilege" rooms as I have years ago, and not much has changed. I am not sure if the Nespresso machine was there already or not, but the nice museum exhibit of a Corby trouser press sure made me feel as valued as you were.

The renovation is something of a mystery to me. Seems like there are at least two different renovated rooms, so this is more than a model room (like the one at the Pullman Montparnasse I stayed at years before all the upper floors were renovated in its liking), but apparently the rollout has been halted and they remain clandestine and knowledge of them privy to only a few.

Certainly, even by Italian standards, the hotel reaches reaches an exceptional low in customer service. It does not seem to have changed one bit. When I was there, I almost felt like I've personally offeneded each and every staff member by staying there.

There is a new Novotel in Parma just by the train station, just 45 mins by a Freccia (or less than an hours with a Regionale), I'd recommend it instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.