Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Pavilion Hotel Managed by Banyan Tree (central Kuala Lumpur)

Pavilion Hotel Managed by Banyan Tree (central Kuala Lumpur)

Old Dec 28, 19, 4:06 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor & IHG Plat; Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by jiunsoh View Post
A friendly advice, lower your expectations.
It's Accor -- our expectations are usually pretty modest these days, unless we've stayed at a property previously and had a postiive experience.

But -- regardless of what might yet disappoint us -- the property deserves some credit for confirming a status upgrade in advance. Unless of course that gets reversed...

wish you a pleasant stay.
Thank you.
Old Jan 3, 20, 1:24 am
IMH

Originally Posted by IMH View Post
But [...] the property deserves some credit for confirming a status upgrade in advance. Unless of course that gets reversed...
I was tempting fate. We are in an "Urban Studio", as promised, but it took some persuasion. Apparently the pre-arrival email sent by the hotel was a "mistake".

On arrival we were told that our Platinum 'upgrade' would be from a "Grand Oasis" to a "Club Grand Oasis", which is barely an upgrade and pretty poor for a hotel that's currently well below capacity (every category of room was available for our three nights). Getting the "Urban Studio" required escalation, patience and more assertiveness than I usually feel comfortable showing in a leisure situation.

There was no welcome letter, no amenity and no drinks vouchers. (I've only just remembered the drinks vouchers -- I forgot to ask at check in because I was rather flabbergasted by the cancelled upgrade.)

I'll report further when we've completed our stay and returned home, but the executive summary is that the teething problems reported by others above have not been overcome. There are lots of nice things about the building and room, but there have been several service issues and very little enthusiasm (or Platinum recognition).

With numerous other Accor properties nearby, don't book this one.

Last edited by IMH; Jan 3, 20 at 1:45 am
Old Jan 3, 20, 8:10 am

Programs: MH Enrich, Accor Plus Platinum
I was tempting fate. We are in an "Urban Studio", as promised, but it took some persuasion. Apparently the pre-arrival email sent by the hotel was a "mistake".

On arrival we were told that our Platinum 'upgrade' would be from a "Grand Oasis" to a "Club Grand Oasis", which is barely an upgrade and pretty poor for a hotel that's currently well below capacity (every category of room was available for our three nights). Getting the "Urban Studio" required escalation, patience and more assertiveness than I usually feel comfortable showing in a leisure situation.

There was no welcome letter, no amenity and no drinks vouchers. (I've only just remembered the drinks vouchers -- I forgot to ask at check in because I was rather flabbergasted by the cancelled upgrade.)

I'll report further when we've completed our stay and returned home, but the executive summary is that the teething problems reported by others above have not been overcome. There are lots of nice things about the building and room, but there have been several service issues and very little enthusiasm (or Platinum recognition).

sorry to hear that you have such a rough start for 2020.
hope to hear more from you when you ready to share.
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:52 pm

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
I am very sorry to hear of your experience, but with the royal treatment I got at the Pullman KLCC next door (which is also usually cheaper), I concur your conclusion.
Old Jan 8, 20, 6:12 am
IMH

sorry to hear that you have such a rough start for 2020.
Originally Posted by JTCz View Post
I am very sorry to hear of your experience
Thank you both. However, this wasn’t a terrible stay in a nightmare hotel – it just wasn't as good as it should have been, given the price point and the branding as a “luxury” property. We’re home now, so here’s a report as promised.

What is your ALL status?

Platinum at the time of this stay (three nights in January 2020).

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

We booked a king “Grand Oasis” room. As reported above, a pre-arrival email sent by the lounge team led us to believe we would be upgraded to an “Urban Studio”, but on arrival we were allocated a “Club Grand Oasis” (and told the email was "a mistake"). That would not really have been an upgrade, given that Platinum status brings lounge access anyway. We pushed back, having checked that rooms (and suites) of every type could still be booked, and after a manager intervened were somewhat reluctantly given an “Urban Studio”.

How are the rooms?

Our “Urban Studio” was a clean and spacious room with a comfortable bed, plenty of power points (including some that accept foreign plugs), lots of cupboard and wardrobe space and a large bathroom with twin basins. The bathtub-with-a-view is more of a gimmick, being large enough for four or five adults and presumably taking an age to fill. The shower was great.

What was good and what was bad?
Bad:

Service was sometimes poor and service recovery even more so.

On our first morning I noticed that we didn’t have any bath towels (none at all!) and discovered that the coffee machine was broken. There was no one from housekeeping visible on our floor, so I called guest services. They promised bath towels and said that someone would look at the coffee machine. 20+ minutes later, no one had arrived. So I went to the lounge, reported the lack of towels a second time and took coffee back to our room. Lounge staff seemed seriously unhappy at me taking cups out of the lounge, even after I had explained the situation (spouse waiting for coffee and shower!), because “it’s a rule” that china should not be removed.

Almost an hour passed before the coffee machine was inspected, after which it was taken away and later replaced. Bath towels never did appear of their own accord, but eventually housekeeping started their rounds and were happy to give me towels.

The lack of towels is a relatively minor thing, although other hotels avoid this kind of issue by having housekeeping managers/supervisors. More disappointing was the fact that no one took ownership of the problems and followed through. (A perfect response, of course, would have been to bring towels within minutes and have room service bring us complimentary coffees…)

Minor, but also symptomatic of no one seeming to care: three clocks in our room (alarm clock, a/c control panel, TV) were all (differently) wrong by 15 to 120 minutes.

Housekeeping was never 100%. One day they didn’t replenish coffee pods or toilet rolls, the next day there were no face cloths.

We once went to the "Courtyard" restaurant for breakfast. The room was full and we were shown to a table that hadn’t been wiped or set. It quickly became clear that getting water, coffee or food would take an age, so we retreated to the lounge.

General cleaning of corridors and common areas was infrequent. At other hotels I’ve sometimes been amused, even faintly annoyed, by cleaners roaming the halls, vacuuming behind me and wiping down door handles and lift buttons. Here, I missed them.

At check out we were not asked how our stay had been.

Good:

Once we’d lowered our service expectations, we had a very pleasant stay. The room was a delight, as described above, and the location worked well for us.

The refrigerator chilled drinks quickly and had space for a few guest bottles (there are no annoying sensors).

Service after we’d left was dramatically better than during our stay. In my response to the post-stay survey I gave a couple of poor grades and mentioned a couple of the issues we’d had. A hotel representative reached out within hours, apologising sincerely and acknowledging that things hadn’t been good enough. In order to attract us back, to give them a second chance, they made a quite generous offer that we intend to accept.

Did you get club lounge access? How was the lounge?

The lounge is airy and comfortable. It doesn’t have much of a view, as it’s tucked between two ‘wings’ of the hotel a couple of floors below the top floor. (The advantage of this location is that it only gets direct sun for a couple of hours each day.) Breakfast was adequate but unexciting. We did not go for “happy hour”.

Welcome drinks, amenities or any other special perks?

No. None. Nothing.

Value for money? Would you return?

We would have done better at one of Accor’s other central KL properties. We will try one or more of those on future visits, but will also give the Pavilion the second chance they’ve asked for (see above) and report back.
JTCz, jiunsoh and Kobetraveller like this.

Last edited by IMH; Jan 8, 20 at 6:18 am
Old Jan 8, 20, 7:12 am

Thank you both. However, this wasn’t a terrible stay in a nightmare hotel – it just wasn't as good as it should have been, given the price point and the branding as a “luxury” property. We’re home now, so here’s a report as promised.

Value for money? Would you return?

We would have done better at one of Accor’s other central KL properties. We will try one or more of those on future visits, but will also give the Pavilion the second chance they’ve asked for (see above) and report back.
thank you for this review, this will help a lot of traveller to set their expectation right, and i believe your post stay survey will help hotel to improve.

novotel klcc will have their newly renovated premier lounge ready by june2020, maybe a good alternative.
JTCz likes this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 7:17 am
IMH

i believe your post stay survey will help hotel to improve.
I hope so. It was a nice change to get a survey that could be partially completed without agreeing to send anything to TripAdvisor. ^

Another positive point that I forgot to mention: the ALL points had posted by the time we reached the airport. ^ ^
Old Jan 8, 20, 7:19 am

I hope so. It was a nice change to get a survey that could be partially completed without agreeing to send anything to TripAdvisor. ^

Another positive point that I forgot to mention: the ALL points had posted by the time we reached the airport. ^ ^
yes, both pavillion and the banyantree are really effective in point posting.
Old Jan 8, 20, 5:03 pm

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
novotel klcc will have their newly renovated premier lounge ready by june2020, maybe a good alternative.
I actually dreamed last night of booking the novotel by mistake and only realizing in KL - perhaps it was prophetic
Old Sep 15, 20, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently ?

I have never stayed based on the few reviews I have seen (ignoring TripAdvisor reviews).

However it is now available with the AccorPlus Red Hot Rooms Rate .... cheaper than usual but still more expensive than Sofitel and the two Pullmans.

Recently I was very surprised to hear from one Banyan Tree insider that they were pitching this hotel to compete with JW and Shangri-la. Maybe a bit of sales talk by an enthusiastic employee but I was wondering if there have been improvements since it reopened after lockdown. I believe it reopened in late July or thereabouts.

Last edited by Kobetraveller; Sep 15, 20 at 5:59 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: