Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yangon: Novotel vs Pullman?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Yangon: Novotel vs Pullman?

My wife and I are planning a couple of nights in Yangon in early March as part of a vacation in Myanmar. I've already stayed at the Novotel on business and liked it a lot. Has anyone stayed at the Pullman or even at both? I'd welcome a review of the latter or, even better, a comparison of the two.

Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
I guess you would like to compare between Novotel Max and Pullman Centrepoint? I would say Pullman is in a better location as it is in the heart of what they unofficially call China Town and opposite the Maha Bandula Park, so you could walk about to malls and restaurants. Novotel may be closer to Shwedagon Pagoda but not by much and taxi in Yangon is very cheap. If you have already stayed at Novotel, then I'd say try Pullman this time. I doubt it would be a disappointment and you could see it for yourself

I am going to Yangon soon but this time staying at Grand Mercure. That's also another option as it's recently open. Location is bad though, far out in the stick, but I probably take taxi every where anyway.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:53 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Just in case it makes a difference in decision, the current Pullman GM is ex Sofitel KL GM.
Very approachable and manages things well.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Just checked into Pullman. Pullman better location, but takes longer to get too and traffic around here is mad. Hotel is much nicer in my opinion. It is still being finished. I have Premium Exec Room, which is large and well appointed. Pool is 20m long and good size, nice gym and sauna. Spa not open yet. Exec lounge not open yet, will be later next year. Temp lounge in main bar. Seems like not all floors are even finished. They apologised they could not upgrade me as no suites ready. They offered a free transport to airport which was nice. Will report back later in stay, for now, I would give Pullman the edge
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thank you all for your useful replies. I guess one other consideration could be traffic. We arrive at almost midnight on a Friday and then leave fly out domestically on a Sunday morning. Am I correct in assuming that traffic to and from the airport wouldn't be too bad, even from the Pullman Centrepoint?

Originally Posted by Juntima
I guess you would like to compare between Novotel Max and Pullman Centrepoint?
Yes, that's correct. Thanks.

Originally Posted by gav0106
Just checked into Pullman. Pullman better location, but takes longer to get too and traffic around here is mad. Hotel is much nicer in my opinion. It is still being finished. I have Premium Exec Room, which is large and well appointed. Pool is 20m long and good size, nice gym and sauna. Spa not open yet. Exec lounge not open yet, will be later next year. Temp lounge in main bar. Seems like not all floors are even finished. They apologised they could not upgrade me as no suites ready. They offered a free transport to airport which was nice. Will report back later in stay, for now, I would give Pullman the edge
I appreciate this useful info. Any sense of whether it will be finished by the start of March? And are you saying that you've also stayed at the Novotel Max?

In any event, I'd really welcome any further advice and impressions. Thanks again!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:40 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
I am staying at the Novotel next month. Any tips?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:58 pm

Morning so just checked out

after couple days I would say Pullman has the edge over Novotel. Depending on price if it is a lot more expensive Novotel is good.
pullman nearer tourist areas and more to do
gold member, 2 welcome drinks, welcome fruit and cake in room. Also given free transfer to airport as there was no upgrades and this was good gesture.
lounge not open but happy hour in bar and tea, coffee free during day, did not have time to try happy hour.
breakfast excellent
pool and gym + sauna better than Novotel.

seems it will not be finished until mid next year. Very vague when I asked. This hotel was delayed due to planning issues.

I was on 10th floor from around 24 I think. 10th is highest floor complete.

i much prefer the style of Pullman’s.

For Novotel nearer airport etc. One tip. I was given suite on top floor. Was a nightmare we had to move. There is resteraunt or bar on top floor and they were moving chairs etc late night across a wooden floor. Not good so make sure you are not below this.

hotels here don’t take amex only visa or mastercard

passd the Mercure it’s near main lake and shoppping centre and Melia hotel but did not look as nice.

Will post some some photos when back in Bangkok
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great info! Thanks again!

I should have asked this earlier, but: Any construction noise?

Originally Posted by gav0106
Morning so just checked out

after couple days I would say Pullman has the edge over Novotel. Depending on price if it is a lot more expensive Novotel is good.
pullman nearer tourist areas and more to do
gold member, 2 welcome drinks, welcome fruit and cake in room. Also given free transfer to airport as there was no upgrades and this was good gesture.
lounge not open but happy hour in bar and tea, coffee free during day, did not have time to try happy hour.
breakfast excellent
pool and gym + sauna better than Novotel.

seems it will not be finished until mid next year. Very vague when I asked. This hotel was delayed due to planning issues.

I was on 10th floor from around 24 I think. 10th is highest floor complete.

i much prefer the style of Pullman’s.

For Novotel nearer airport etc. One tip. I was given suite on top floor. Was a nightmare we had to move. There is resteraunt or bar on top floor and they were moving chairs etc late night across a wooden floor. Not good so make sure you are not below this.

hotels here don’t take amex only visa or mastercard

passd the Mercure it’s near main lake and shoppping centre and Melia hotel but did not look as nice.

Will post some some photos when back in Bangkok
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:28 pm

Good point re construction. Not at moment. Which was odd. Spa was being worked on but to be honest seems not much work on higher floors.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Some comments having just come back from RGN. Most of these comments are informed primarily by the advice of my expat friend and his colleagues, inflected by my own vision of getting around.

The Novotel's F&B outlets have a very good reputation among the expats and well-heeled Burmese. The location is also a stone's throw away from a number of great dining options (e.g. Ren Kandawgyi). The Pullman has the downtown advantage. While extremely safe, the downtown is not exactly pretty (neglected colonial era construction - frankly, it would be a gem of SE Asia with a bit of plaster/facade repair and a good power wash). This may not bother you, but it's not a great first impression. (There are many great bars, restaurants, and sights, but I could imagine friends or relatives ready to string me up for booking them a room in the area because of the "crumbling buildings" chic)

The Grand Mercure is considered to be located in an urban terra incognita. While taxis are cheap, being stuck in a half hour traffic jam is not unusual. I was just tooling around with a friend for a few days. If you only have, for example, 36 hours before heading up country to Mandalay or to the coast in Ngapali, it's better to pay to be in town or ditch brand loyalty for the stay (as a Hilton member, RGN made me venture outside the program).
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Big thanks to both of you for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.