FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Accor will not honor my Silver status because I booked on Expedia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1933947-accor-will-not-honor-my-silver-status-because-i-booked-expedia.html)

boboqui Oct 4, 2018 3:43 pm

Accor will not honor my Silver status because I booked on Expedia

I booked a reservation and Accor refuses to add it to my account where I have Silver status, GRRRRR!!!!

Here's the email:
AccorHotels Customer Care <[email protected]>Thu 10/4/2018, 4:13 PM
Case N°: WSFOLD20181003110036146

Dear Mr. ,

I am contacting you in response to your request regarding the benefit from the Silver status advantages and collecting points after your stay part of the Le Club AccorHotels program.

After looking into this matter, I regret that I am unable to help you with your request.

As mentioned in the terms and conditions of use, you will not earn Status points or Rewards points or the advantages offered to you for stays booked via online travel sites (Expedia, Booking, Ctrip, Tour.Interpark, JALAN etc.).

Please book your next stay directly through the AccorHotels Group via:
* the AccorHotels telephone
Reservation Office,
* The
accorhotels.com website or AccorHotels Group brand websites,
* the hotel directly,
* traditional travel agencies using a booking system that is automatically connected to the AccorHotels Reservation Office.
Thank you for your trust and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

We look forward to welcoming you to one of our hotels soon.

Aicha
AccorHotels Customer Care

cowism Oct 4, 2018 3:58 pm

Read Accor's T&C.

Your status won't be recognized if you booked thru Expedia or other OTAs

pb9997 Oct 4, 2018 5:17 pm

The non-recognition of elite status is quite common among other hotel loyalty programs, when booked through third parties.

Maelstrom Oct 5, 2018 4:33 am

Standard practice. Book direct through the hotel website. If Expedia truly is cheaper, you can jump through the hoops of the Best Rate Guarantee (assuming the rooms have the same conditions of sale).

hotel_user Oct 5, 2018 6:57 am

Agree, its with the Accor terms of service.

However some organisations will not accept paid receipts from employees from hotels not booked through an approved OTA or other method. It could be in this case.
It may be worth a short e mail to the hotel GM and plead your case ?

1flyer Oct 5, 2018 8:07 am

Originally Posted by hotel_user (Post 30281784)
However some organisations will not accept paid receipts from employees from hotels not booked through an approved OTA or other method. It could be in this case.
It may be worth a short e mail to the hotel GM and plead your case ?

Even if the OP was required to book through a OTA, it doesn't really change the case at hand.

Hotels cannot afford to or don't want to provide status benefits if people don't book direct. If someone books a chain hotel via a direct booking channel, the hotel has to pay the chain a fee in the amount of around 4% of the room rate. However, if the booking is done via OTA, the commission the OTA gets for the product distribution service it provided is in the ballpark of 20% of the room rate.

That's a huge difference in cost. It's not financially sensible to grant status perks to OTA guests. Besides, hotels want to incentivize people to book direct. You don't do that by rewarding people booking via OTA.

hotel_user Oct 5, 2018 8:27 am

Totally agree.

If you want the "soft perks" with status you should use the hotel booking direct. That's what you pay the hotel for ( indirectly by saving them some money ) I don't know of any good status programs run by booking.com for example :)

All I was trying to say was that it may not be possible to book the hotel direct for other reasons.

boboqui Oct 6, 2018 2:12 am

Originally Posted by hotel_user (Post 30282052)
All I was trying to say was that it may not be possible to book the hotel direct for other reasons.

That’s exactly the case, I used the citi typ portal to book. I was not aware that hotel reservations are unlike airline reservations as far as loyalty programs. Is this something new or particular to Accor?

hotel_user Oct 6, 2018 2:31 am

No, as far as I am aware, most hotels only confer the soft status benefits if you book with them, or an approved agent or route. There are some niche OTA that do offer perks and Status benefits, but not Expedia, and these tend to be for the top range properties in a hotel group.

doog1000 Oct 6, 2018 3:01 am

I understand you won't get status acknowledged or points on room rate but if you add your Accor number will you get points awarded for drinks meals etc on the stay?

jiunsoh Oct 6, 2018 3:58 am

Originally Posted by doog1000 (Post 30284787)
I understand you won't get status acknowledged or points on room rate but if you add your Accor number will you get points awarded for drinks meals etc on the stay?

no, that won't earn you point

Often1 Oct 6, 2018 7:06 pm

This sounds like OP has a labor problem with his employer. This has nothing to do with the chain which is both explicit and is in keeping with many other "loyalty" programs.

boboqui Oct 7, 2018 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30286878)
This sounds like OP has a labor problem with his employer. This has nothing to do with the chain which is both explicit and is in keeping with many other "loyalty" programs.

That’s not the case, I was not aware that hotel reservations are unlike airline reservations as far as loyalty programs.

kaizen7 Oct 7, 2018 3:15 pm

its on the T&C
And pretty much all hotel loyalty program does the same.

1nfrequent Oct 7, 2018 4:35 pm

boboqui - I sympathise. If you don't book a lot of hotels then the rules on loyalty card recognition can be confusing especially because airlines don't have that issue. I made the same mistake myself with a Starwood property a few years ago and it can be doubly confusing because some employers use corporate travel agents to make bookings where your status is recognised (certainly this was the case with my previous employer who used a corporate travel agent to book Accor hotels and all brands except Ibis would recognise status and give loyalty and status points for stays).

It's a frustrating lesson but now you know it and can move on.

1F