Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

How to Build Brand Loyalty - NOT ! .. ibis budget Madrid Centro Lavapies

Old Aug 22, 18, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL(Gone 5/19)-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton/Wyndham Diamond-IHG/Marriott Gold-Accor/Hyatt Nobody

I was holding a reservation at IBIS BUDGET Madrid Centro Lavapies for May 31st June – 2nd 2019, made on 31st May 2018.

On 15th August I received an email stating .... "Due to a technical issue, we have no choice but to cancel your reservation(s) over the week 22 of 2019. You'll have the opportunity to book again your stay next week, on Wednesday 22nd of August, from 12:00 GMT+1. We have cancelled all booking made for the dates around this week. No charge has been made to your credit card for this booking(s)."

It’s important to note that on the 1st June 2019 the Champions League final is held in Madrid. My reservation for the 3 nights was at a total cost of 189 Euro.

As instructed by their email I attempted to re-book at exactly 12:00 GMT+1 on 22nd August, only to find there was no availability ! and any days either side of my dates were now priced at more than TRIPLE the price of my original reservation. This is a new hotel and I think they didn’t load in special event pricing originally, realized their mistake and decided to simply cancel all reservations for that period, and reload new event pricing. Whilst it showed no availability online, the hotel said this was a technical problem, and they could book a standard room for 500 Euro's, PRE PAID (Which the original reservation was not). I 'graciously' declined.

Can a hotel just get away with this type of behavior ? are there any organizations that I can report them too ? have they broken any laws ?

Needless to say, with flights already booked, I am now without a hotel and very, very unhappy at having to look for alternative accommodation which is significantly more expensive 3 months later.

Last edited by BritBoyInFL; Aug 22, 18 at 2:53 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:42 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
I suggest you search for the regulatory agency for consumer protection in Spain or alternatively one european wide and write a concise, factual letter to them.
This is very likely against regulations.
pb9997 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 6:28 am

Programs: M&S, Radisson
They cannot cancel due to an unexplained "technical issue" ten weeks after booking. It's clearly not a mistake rate you booked. It seems likely their revenue/inventory management dozed too long before noticing what's going on in Madrid during that time. Now, they're trying to push out people which got a low rate.

I would make it very clear to them that you will enforce the contract. I would also make a refundable reservation as a backup (or possibly two: one for the first night and one for nights 2+3).
Goldorak and pb9997 like this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 2:14 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
you should try to write them that for you the reservation is not cancelled and that you will be at the hotel on the days of reservation....

if they want to cancell your reservation they have to give you another one reservation at the same price in the same area on another hotel.

pb9997 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 11:59 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Accor gold, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold, A3 *Gold
Agree with everything that has been said before.

However. "Brand loyalty"? in an IBIS budget? You're having a laugh. The only reason to book one of these is price, and Accor know that very well.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 28, 18, 7:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
When reading the thread heading saying loyalty brand I Also was thinking ..... There is no brand loyalty for Ibis budget. It is all about price and nothing more. I agree with above posters. You should contact relavent departments consumer affairs. Do it asap Also.
Old Aug 29, 18, 4:17 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Oh, I get it. The technical issue was that they did not realize that the CL Final was being played at this period. What is next? Cancelling all bookings in the event of Elton John or Mikis Theodorakis playing in Madrid.....?
Old Aug 29, 18, 8:53 pm

Programs: Carte Bienvenue
I agree with the other's here : that hotel shows availability on your dates so they should honor your reservation according to your confirmation.
hotel_user and pb9997 like this.
Old Sep 17, 18, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL(Gone 5/19)-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton/Wyndham Diamond-IHG/Marriott Gold-Accor/Hyatt Nobody
So, I've reached out to the hotel and they say I can re-book at the current rates as a non-refundable reservation ! I politely declined ..... again.

I received a PM from an Accor representative and made the documentation available to them. They have not responded.

I submitted all the same documentation via the 'contact us' option of the Accor website. They have not responded.

I guess they all just think I'll give in and go away quietly ?

In regard .... "There is no brand loyalty for Ibis budget" .... I agree .... but I was thinking more of Accor as the brand. Every level of a chain should represent itself to a certain standard.
Old Nov 15, 18, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

They think I'll just get fed up and give in ....

Here's my most recent communications ...

"Today is 5th November 2018 and still not resolution to this issue from Accor ! ?
A quick review …
Complaint submitted 17th September
Acknowledgement of complaint received 28th September
Follow up submitted 15th October, no response received to date
Almost TWO months and still no resolution ! ?"

Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 11:24 AM
To:
Subject: AccorHotels Customer Care

Case N: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr. SMITH,

Thank you for contacting your customer care service and I confirm to you that your request concerning your reservations at ibis budget Madrid Centro Lavapies is registered under the reference xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

I am pleased to inform you that I have already contacted the hotel in which you have stayed to bring you the most appropriate answer.

For a better follow-up of your file, I kindly ask you to indicate the reference above during our eventual exchanges.

Rest assured that we make all necessary efforts to answer you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your trust and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

We look forward to welcoming you to one of our hotels soon.

Naji
AccorHotels Customer Care
Old Nov 16, 18, 2:32 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Great you contacted Accor CS and the hotel and have it all documented.

For the correct number of nights on a simple stay to post correctly, very, very basic issue, it has been dragging for over four months, thus I would contact Consumer Protection on your country where Accor surely have properties. Do not hold your breath on Accor CS or the hotel and make them aware that legal actions are being made.

To put it simply Accor CS simply fowards your request to Hotel and wait, until Hotel sorts the issue out. In my case, they have been waiting for 4 months... and they have no hurry, as it seems, even if it is such a simple issue. Just imagine your case.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: