Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Accor to connect guests to hotels with new WhatsApp service

Old Aug 9, 18, 10:05 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Hertz PC

Accor to connect guests to hotels with new WhatsApp service | News | Breaking Travel News

AccorHotels UK & Ireland has introduced the facility for guests to communicate with hotel staff using WhatsApp.
Instead of being obliged to use the phone in their room to contact reception or other hotel facilities or services, they can now simply send a message via WhatsApp Messenger.
Old Aug 10, 18, 1:07 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Le Club Gold
I stayed at a refurbished ibis in Manchester in February 2018.
In the room, there was a note saying more or less: We've got rid of all in-room phones because nobody needs them. You can send us an email, a text message or call using your mobile.

Very British style: We don't offer something and we're very proud of it.
Old Aug 10, 18, 1:26 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
If someone is reading the messages that's fine. If they are however ignored (just like pre-arrival email queries are all too often) than this is just another gimmick.
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:27 am

Programs: BA/Accor/Hilton Gold
I have experience of a similar service a the W London where the concierge was contactable via Whatsapp. It worked relatively well as I received replies to my queries and actually the opposite was true of the same concierge team when I went to speak to them directly in the lobby - it took ages to get the information I needed and the one request I asked in person (to put some champagne on ice in my room for mine and my wife's anniversary - asked as we left for a meal and a West End show) was forgotten about/ignored.

Let's hope the Accor properties get the balance right between personal touch and modern technical innovations. At least Whatsapp isn't produced by the Accor IT department so might actually work!
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I very much welcome this initiative ^, but is it usable also prior to stay ? That would be very useful to request early check-in, any special need, update on arrival time, etc
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:31 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan Diamond, AC Altitude E35K, Marriott Gold, Enterprise Gold, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by testman View Post
Originally Posted by testman View Post
In the room, there was a note saying more or less: We've got rid of all in-room phones because nobody needs them. You can send us an email, a text message or call using your mobile.

That can work as long as the hotel has good WIFI you can connect to. This obviously varies country to country, but travelling internationally, it's not cheap for me to use my mobile phone abroad. The in-room phone, while perhaps not used often, was at least free to use.
testman likes this.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Aug 10, 18 at 2:36 pm
Old Aug 10, 18, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by CanadaDH View Post

That can work as long as the hotel has good WIFI you can connect to. This obviously varies country to country, but travelling internationally, it's not cheap for me to use my mobile phone abroad. The in-room phone, while perhaps not used often, was at least free to use.
Sincerely, I never had any wifi problem in all Accor hotels I have stayed in. May be you can't download a movie but you can certainly send a whatsapp message in a second.
chrism20 and starflyergold like this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 4:58 pm

Ibis Wembley have had this for over a year now and it seemed to work quite well the couple of times I have used it.

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Sincerely, I never had any wifi problem in all Accor hotels I have stayed in. May be you can't download a movie but you can certainly send a whatsapp message in a second.
Agree, for all their faults I would say Accor is by far the most consistent of the big chains when it comes to offering decent wifi.
Old Aug 10, 18, 10:21 pm

Programs: M&S, Radisson
As most of you probably know from work, written communication is much more prone to misunderstandings than verbal one. Furthermore, I don't type quicker on the phone than I speak.

Thus, in my view, I prefer the phone over messaging. This is nothing but a service reduction. They'll try to use this in order to reduce cost, but outsourcing this or by letting bots answer queries.

They're downgrading customer service, masquerading it as an improvement because now they're using this cooler new technology.
Old Aug 11, 18, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by 1flyer View Post
As most of you probably know from work, written communication is much more prone to misunderstandings than verbal one.
I am not so sure about that, but I see that as a great improvement in countries where the staff speak a not so good English or if the customer does not speak English well.
Old Aug 15, 18, 3:41 am

Programs: IHG Platinum AMB, Accor Plus Platinum, HHonors Gold, GarudaMiles Gold, QR Silver, QF Silver
Why bother to innovate something when they haven't overcome the problems that happened months ago; for ie. APAC Accor Platinum members were charged more than the ordinary members problems...but well; good initiative in UK.
1flyer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: