FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Welcome drink policy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1913358-welcome-drink-policy.html)

KLBGO Jun 8, 2018 12:25 pm

Welcome drink policy

As a silver member this is about what you get... but what is the welcome drink policy?

I have gotten welcome drinks on Ibis, Novotel and even Ibis Budget once. About the same number of visits I have not gotten the free drink voucher on Ibis, Novotel and Ibis Budget. I am baffled. What is the policy? Unfortunately I am too polite to ask for free booze ;)

vidrineb Jun 8, 2018 12:49 pm

As silver or above you should be given a drinks voucher at check-in. A lot of hotels especially around the UK won't actually give it to you unless you ask in my experience. Just ask if there's a drinks voucher available and they will usually cough one up and sometimes even apologize. Same goes for upgrades when you reach gold, in my experience in the UK you usually have to ask if there is an upgrade available upon check-in for them to give you one.

aapee Jun 8, 2018 5:41 pm

I've never had to ask for a drink coupon (never stayed in a ibis budget, tho). My silver period was very short during the old days, so maybe good luck.

cowism Jun 8, 2018 10:35 pm

I'll always ask if I don't receive it, regardless of benefits.

testman Jun 9, 2018 2:45 am

No free drinks at Ibis Budget hotels since they're not part of the programme.

At all other brands, there's no need to be shy. Just ask for a voucher if you're not given one at check-in.

Juntima Jun 9, 2018 5:27 am

I have always get the vouchers. What I am wondering though, when I book more than 1 room, some times I only get vouchers for the room I stay (2 vouchers) and not for other guests in other rooms, but some times I get voucher for all the rooms and all the guests. Wondering what is the real policy about this. :eek:

markis10 Jun 9, 2018 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Juntima (Post 29846848)
. What I am wondering though, when I book more than 1 room, some times I only get vouchers for the room I stay (2 vouchers) and not for other guests in other rooms, but some times I get voucher for all the rooms and all the guests. Wondering what is the real policy about this. :eek:

Welcome drink is for the member, not per room.

chrism20 Jun 9, 2018 4:38 pm

All the U.K. properties I’ve stayed at over the last year have gave me a free drink. There were two oddities though - Mercure Manchester was a choice of free drink or points and Mercure London Bloomsbury said they didn’t do the vouchers and I was offered red, white or rose which was delivered to the room.

swiss_global Jun 10, 2018 12:20 am

Same here: I consistently get a drink voucher based on my Silver status. When staying with someone in the same room, sometimes but not always, there is one voucher for two drinks (i.e. to be used at the same moment, not separately). I understand that as per rules only the member is entitled, but it quite common sense that if there are two staying in the same room, that they would like to enjoy the drink together.

The same vouchers are also so etimes used as service compensation. In an Ibis Styles they assigned me (initially) the wrong type of room. After swapping the room, I received a second voucher for the inconvenience caused.

restlessinRNO Jun 10, 2018 10:53 am

I'm at the Novotel Taoyuan International Airport. Just checked in at midnight. I'm Accor Silver. The good news is I was given a Welcome Drink voucher for the Q Bar. The bad news is the bar closes at midnight. I arrived at the shuttle bus location at Terminal 1 at 11:18 pm. Bus is every 1/2 hour. Next bus was 11:45 pm. Thus arrived at hotel at midnight. However it was a nice gesture. :)

cowism Jun 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO (Post 29850366)
I'm at the Novotel Taoyuan International Airport. Just checked in at midnight. I'm Accor Silver. The good news is I was given a Welcome Drink voucher for the Q Bar. The bad news is the bar closes at midnight. I arrived at the shuttle bus location at Terminal 1 at 11:18 pm. Bus is every 1/2 hour. Next bus was 11:45 pm. Thus arrived at hotel at midnight. However it was a nice gesture. :)

You should ask front desk whether it can be redeemed for any item in the minibar. U should be given ample opportunity to enjoy your welcome drink 😉

FGunawan Jun 11, 2018 3:09 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO (Post 29850366)

Can't the voucher be used the next day before you check out? In my experience welcome drink vouchers are good to redeem anytime up to the day you check out.

kaizen7 Jun 11, 2018 5:55 am

Some hotels have confusing welcome drink voucher policy.

Sofitel So Singapore, 1st stay, welcome drink voucher can be claimed on any cocktails from their rooftop bar
but then on my 2nd stay, they only provide So So house wine ... no other options (the FD does mention that welcome drink voucher can be used for any drinks from the bar)

Sofitel Nusa Dua and Novotel on Stevens have separate menu for welcome drinks voucher

thibderoc Jun 11, 2018 6:51 am

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 29848309)

AFAIR, when I booked a room for 2, the voucher was for 2 : it happenned in a Sofitel and a Mercure (2x)

R2 Jun 11, 2018 7:33 am

Just checked out of Sofitel Manila, had booked two rooms as I was travelling with family. We got two welcome drink vouchers each good for two drinks. The mango smoothies at the pool bar were delicious ^

restlessinRNO Jun 11, 2018 8:07 am

Originally Posted by cowism (Post 29851719)
You should ask front desk whether it can be redeemed for any item in the minibar. U should be given ample opportunity to enjoy your welcome drink 😉

Thank you for this advice. I will remember and try this next time. :)

restlessinRNO Jun 11, 2018 8:10 am

Originally Posted by FGunawan (Post 29852564)
Can't the voucher be used the next day before you check out? In my experience welcome drink vouchers are good to redeem anytime up to the day you check out.

This is true, but was not too helpful for me when I was checking out early the next morning. :)

carnarvon Jun 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 29848309)

This is what a few (rare) stingy hotels want you to believe.

Welcome drink for a double room is for both guests. This is my experience all over Europe at Ibis, Ibis Style, Novotel, Mercure, Pullman and Sofitels.

When denied a welcome drink for 2, ask which guest is not welcome. This shames them.

Mercure Salzburg receptionist was incredulous when I told her that Ibis Versailles would insist on 1 drink only for a double room. She said "how can one of you be without a drink when the other one has one". This is such a sensible attitude.

The second drink costs peanuts to the hotel. This is not about money, it is about principles and atmosphere that the hotel wants to establish.

markis10 Jun 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by carnarvon (Post 29867641)
This is what a few (rare) stingy hotels want you to believe.

Welcome drink for a double room is for both guests. This is my experience all over Europe at Ibis, Ibis Style, Novotel, Mercure, Pullman and Sofitels.

When denied a welcome drink for 2, ask which guest is not welcome. This shames them.

Mercure Salzburg receptionist was incredulous when I told her that Ibis Versailles would insist on 1 drink only for a double room. She said "how can one of you be without a drink when the other one has one". This is such a sensible attitude.

The second drink costs peanuts to the hotel. This is not about money, it is about principles and atmosphere that the hotel wants to establish.

You appear to have misread my post and it’s context, which is that booking more than one room does not entitle you to more drink chits. As for the issues you appear to have, Accor are very clear:

”Enjoy a complimentary welcome drink. Available for you and registered guests staying in your room. Different beverages are offered, depending on the hotel brand. The voucher you receive from the hotel lists full details.”

carnarvon Jun 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 29867969)
Accor are very clear: ”Enjoy a complimentary welcome drink. Available for you and registered guests staying in your room..”

In French it says " Boisson de bienvenue. Une boisson vous est gracieusement offerte. Différentes boissons sont proposées selon la marque de l'hôtel. Toutes les précisions à ce sujet figurent sur le chèque que vous remet l'hôtel.".

The "available for you and registered guests staying in your room." is missing.... Some French hotels might use this ....

carnarvon Jun 20, 2018 9:07 am

Second drink voucher for double room : everywhere but in France!!!!

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 29867969)
As for the issues you appear to have, Accor are very clear:
”Enjoy a complimentary welcome drink. Available for you and registered guests staying in your room.”

I have just spoken with LCAH CS about the text in French which does not mention the other registered guests in the room and got a written answer after that.

Everything is possible with Accor and they are proving it once again.:eek:

On the phone, she said that the welcome drink for was for two in case of a double room.

However, in her written confirmation, she said that the drink for two was a worldwide policy except in France, where the hotelier has the freedom to offer a drink second drink or not. :D

It is so ridiculous that I am not even angry. Flabbergasted though. How can one be so stupid?

Goldorak Jun 20, 2018 9:15 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon (Post 29886583)
However, in her written confirmation, she said that the drink for two was a worldwide policy except in France, where the hotelier has the freedom to offer a drink second drink or not. :D

Why am I not surprised... :rolleyes:

lhrpete Jun 20, 2018 11:44 am

In France I've only ever been given a voucher for one person but on arrival at the bar when with the OH I've always been offered two drinks.

Abouttimetoo Jun 20, 2018 11:56 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon (Post 29886583)

It is so ridiculous that I am not even angry. Flabbergasted though. How can one be so stupid?

I'd like t say that it beggars belief, but that wouldn't be true. I've experienced so much inconsistency with what a welcome drink constitutes that it seems laughable for anyone to suggest that there's a policy at all.

Perhaps my favourite example of 'giving with one hand and taking with the other' was at the Pullman Legian Beach on Bali where, staying by myself, I was given two vouchers only to be told later at the bar that a gin and tonic required both of them - one for the gin and one for the tonic!

lkrt Jun 21, 2018 3:13 am

Some hotels do it really well. Sofitel Manila gave me one voucher for single occupancy, but the bar told me to order another drink after finishing my first. And this was after they had already given me a bottle of wine and a drink with canapeés on the other nights... Kudos!

nrouxel Jun 21, 2018 5:47 am

I had really good surprises even in France : Once as we were a group of 10 peoples, we were given vouchers for all 10 of us (I booked all the 5 rooms).
Sometimes, I only got one voucher for two people in one room...

vidrineb Jun 21, 2018 11:08 am

Originally Posted by nrouxel (Post 29889948)
I had really good surprises even in France : Once as we were a group of 10 peoples, we were given vouchers for all 10 of us (I booked all the 5 rooms).
Sometimes, I only got one voucher for two people in one room...

​​​​​​​Drink vouchers for all 10 people across 5 rooms? That's impressive! Might I ask which hotel this was?

nrouxel Jun 22, 2018 12:59 am

Originally Posted by vidrineb (Post 29891116)
​​​​​​​Drink vouchers for all 10 people across 5 rooms? That's impressive! Might I ask which hotel this was?

Mercure Créolia Saint-Denis La Réunion : 10 peoples (5 rooms) : drink vouchers for 10
Pullman Paris Montparnasse : 8 peoples (2 family rooms) : drink vouchers for 8
Mercure Saint-Lary Sensoria : 5 peoples(1 family room) : drink vouchers for 5

carnarvon Jun 22, 2018 6:58 am

I got another email form CS. Can't resist sharing part of it with you. Instead of focusing on customer dissatisfaction, they direct us to the Terms and conditions! Are they fearing a lawsuit or what? :D

I copy the text in French, because I am afraid that once translated it will lose the subtle message of their self-importance.

" En effet, selon les Conditions Générales d'Utilisation du programme et exclusivement en France, cette attention constitue un avantage réservé au membre dont les nom et prénom figurent sur la carte de fidélité. Néanmoins, il peut arriver que certains hôtels prennent l’initiative, de façon exceptionnelle, d’en faire bénéficier la ou les personnes accompagnant le membre pendant son séjour."

In English

" Indeed, according to the General Conditions of Use of the program and exclusively in France, this attention is a benefit reserved for the member whose name and surname appear on the loyalty card.
Nevertheless, it may happen that some hotels take the initiative, exceptionally, to benefit the person or persons accompanying the member during his stay
. "

I answered among other things:

" What should be a symbolic gesture of welcome has become an insulting farce, because it is not the cost of the second drink that counts, but the gesture and the derogatory attitude of the hotel.

With regard to "this attention is a benefit for the member whose name and surname appear on the loyalty card." I would like to point out that "benefit" is misplaced in the case of a beer or a glass of wine at 3 euros.

The "welcome drink" is not a monetary benefit but a gesture of welcome.

lkrt Jun 22, 2018 9:15 am

Also when staying at the Ibis Madrid Bajaras Aeropuerto they gave me a drink voucher for one pax. I immediately asked: ”Is this for two people?” and she said ”It’s for one but I’ll extend it for two.” and amended the voucher accordingly. Why did I have to ask, I wonder...

KLBGO Jun 22, 2018 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by nrouxel (Post 29893609)
Mercure Créolia Saint-Denis La Réunion : 10 peoples (5 rooms) : drink vouchers for 10
Pullman Paris Montparnasse : 8 peoples (2 family rooms) : drink vouchers for 8
Mercure Saint-Lary Sensoria : 5 peoples(1 family room) : drink vouchers for 5

I wonder what mail these three hotels will get Monday from the management. Keep it up, or cut it out? Hehe...

gilbertaue Jun 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by KLBGO (Post 29895437)
I wonder what mail these three hotels will get Monday from the management. Keep it up, or cut it out? Hehe...

Pullman Montparnasse won't get much of an email. They are a n der heavy renovation.

As stated in other posts, it up to the hotels' discretion how they want to handle it.
But that France does not follow the minimum is not right.

FlyingEstonian Jun 23, 2018 12:29 am

Baltics covered nicely

In Riga and Vilnius I have received always pretty good treatment:
Riga Pullman - welcome drinks for my room (2 pax), once for the other room as well, but once not
Riga Mercure - same as above
Vilnius Novotel - always for my room, havent been there with multiple rooms booked

nkob Jun 23, 2018 9:26 am

pulman palmeraie maraks NO
pulman cocagne eindhoven YES for both clients
kees

carnarvon Jun 23, 2018 9:31 am

Originally Posted by nkob (Post 29897971)
pulman palmeraie maraks NO
pulman cocagne eindhoven YES for both clients kees

Then one is plain wrong and the other one plain right according to LCAH CS.:)

Kremmen Jun 25, 2018 2:08 am

Originally Posted by swiss_global (Post 29849087)
When staying with someone in the same room, sometimes but not always, there is one voucher for two drinks (i.e. to be used at the same moment, not separately).

While we are talking about the Accor concept of consistency, I have sometimes had two vouchers, which then can be used separately. I had one voucher for two people at the Novotel Fenix Silom, but the barmaid said I was welcome to have them at separate times if I wanted.

The range of drinks provided is amazingly varied, from cheap juice to good wine and cocktails and while the quality is correlated with brand, it's inconsistent. The Pullman Kuching provides a simple juice that I don't think is worth bothering with. The Pullman Khon Kaen has lists of drinks by status level (platinum can get top shelf booze, silver can't get anything alcoholic, gold is in between) and even the lowest level has coconut juice. (i.e. an actual coconut, not something out of a can)

Maelstrom Jun 25, 2018 8:20 am

I stayed at the Sofitel Jinan Silver Plaza over the weekend and only received one voucher for a room with two people in it, which was disappointing.

KLBGO Jun 25, 2018 9:52 am

I would have ordered one drink, and shared it with the next pax in a demonstrative way - taking one sip each at the time, while saying "Thank you, we are feeling welcome!".

carnarvon Jun 25, 2018 9:59 am

Originally Posted by KLBGO (Post 29904540)
I would have ordered one drink, and shared it with the next pax in a demonstrative way - taking one sip each at the time, while saying "Thank you, we are feeling welcome!".

Excellent. Asking for two straws could be fun as well.

happygolucky_nomad Jun 25, 2018 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Maelstrom (Post 29904217)
I stayed at the Sofitel Jinan Silver Plaza over the weekend and only received one voucher for a room with two people in it, which was disappointing.

It's so insulting. I had similar experiences but only a handful of hotels give 1 voucher per room for 1 person even though we are registered as 2 persons. I either returned the vouchers to the front desk staff who issued me with the vouchers and asked them to keep it for themselves or I will simply tear the vouchers in front of them and dumped it into the bin.

For hotels that only provide Non alcoholic drinks, I will ask them why are they insulting me? Do I look underage that I cannot consume alcoholic drinks? I simply torn the vouchers in front of them.

But so far most of the hotels will provide 2 drinks per room.