Grand Mercure Auckland

Old May 21, 18, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Accor Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Grand Mercure Auckland

Any latest experience from this hotel?
Old May 21, 18, 5:59 pm

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
We stayed there last September. This hotel used to be a Mercure, but got "promoted" to Grand Mercure after a refurbishment somewhere 2016-2017. As a result, rooms and lobby feel fresh.

Location is very central in downtown Auckland. Auckland's main drag Queen street, is steps away, and so is fancy shopping/dining area Britomart.

Our stay was for 2 nights, 1 night paid stay followed by a night using Stay Plus certificate. For the first night we didn't get any upgrade, but after pushing for it they upgraded us to a "harbour view" room, similar room with better view. Room is on the small side but we didn't feel cramped. I don't quite remember what they left us for Platinum welcome gift, but it wasn't something noteworthy, probably some snacks or sweets. Welcome drinks were redeemable at the bar by the lobby downstairs. I don't remember the restrictions on the welcome drinks but we did have wine and cranberry vodka

Breakfast was okay, good for New Zealand standards. Don't even try to expect Asian hotel breakfast there.

On the whole, quite a solid choice in Auckland. Big positives are location and recent refurbishment. I could be picky and pinpoint some things as negatives but on the whole I was quite satisfied.
Old May 21, 18, 6:20 pm

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Are you dead set about staying at the Grand Mercure? My go-to hotel in Auckland is the Pullman, which once upon a time was Intercontinental and then Hyatt Regency. Location is not as dead central as Grand Mercure but the area is very quiet, right in front of Albert Park. It is also only some 10 min walk to hustle and bustle of Queen street (although going back you're facing an uphill climb).

Room at the Pullman is definitely bigger, although bathrooms are still tub/shower combo. They also offer a very nice big semi-indoor pool (they close down the shutter for winter I'd think) and jacuzzi/sauna right next to it. Their bar is much nicer than Grand Mercure's. Breakfast at the restaurant is also nicer, although you still cannot expect anything like Asian hotel breakfast.

Platinum guests do get free full breakfast at the restaurant (when I stayed last month). In addition, Platinum guests get access to the very decent executive lounge (access only granted to Platinums seemingly - they don't offer room types with executive lounge access).

As for pricing, it might be a little more expensive than Grand Mercure (say, 5-10%), but I have seen a lot of times when they're actually cheaper.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: