Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel New York

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:33 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Finally got my points credited through the website, it was relatively quick: 7 hours from submission to confirmation.
Goldorak, PJLukasik and Slc2012 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 1:49 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Small addendum: GM got in touch. Further service recovery will be made. Case closed. I may be back in NYC in October, lets see then how they doing by then.
PJLukasik and Marky Marks like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:24 pm

I'm not a regular on this forum, but had such a dreadful stay at the Sofitel NYC last weekend that I just have to share ...
  1. We arrived by car mid-afternoon on Saturday, and the Tartan Day parade in the neighborhood had resulted in a lot of street closures near the hotel. That’s not Sofitel’s fault, but we were driving back and forth across midtown trying to find a way to get onto 44th for more than an hour. Where the hotel dropped the ball is that we tried to call the hotel for either advice on how to get to them, or to have a bellman or valet meet us on the corner to help with our bags and take our car … but the hotel has decided it will no longer answer its phone. Seriously. There was a message on the phone line literally saying there is nobody available to answer calls, and please send them an email.
  2. When I finally checked in, I complained to the front desk guy about the difficulty getting to the hotel and the fact that there was nobody answering phones. He wasn’t interested in hearing it, and I think he actually gave me a crappy room because he didn’t like that I complained. The category we booked (luxury, with further upgrade based on availability due to my Tablet Plus membership), is supposed to be on a high floor and have a view. This had no view whatsoever and was on the 15th floor which is the lowest floor possible to still be in this room category.
  3. There was supposed to be a Tablet Plus “welcome treat" in our room, but there wasn’t.
  4. The day we checked in, a housekeeping supervisor walked into our room on us, using her key without knocking. When challenged, she simply said she had a printout that said we hadn’t checked in yet, so why would she knock?! Honestly, if this had been the only issue, it would have been enough for us to reconsider staying there again.
  5. We called down to ask for ice to be sent up to the room. We were told there was no ice in the hotel. What kind of hotel doesn’t have ice? There are signs on the guestroom floors pointing to hypothetical ice machines on each floor, but the front desk said the ice machines have all been removed, and they just haven’t changed the signs.
  6. The lack of room service (other than breakfast) means that housekeeping move dirty dishes out of the rooms they clean and leave them on the floor in the hallway for room service to pick up, presumably not until the next day. There was a plate of used butter and a half-drunk glass of OJ outside our room for hours, that had been put there by housekeeping.
  7. $90 per night parking (after tax) is the most I have ever paid in NYC.
  8. Website says there's a $50 pet fee, but they charged us $100.
Travel advisor sent an email to the sales manager listing all of the above (as explanation for why I was cancelling a planned stay at the property in a few weeks) and never got a response. Travel advisor tried to call to follow up a couple days later but got the same message that nobody is answering phones.

Other than that, the bed was comfortable enough, but we found the decor dated, and there was only an outlet for phone charging on one side of the bed, and no available outlet for laptop charging on the desk.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: Le Club Accor
Any new about this 5 star hotel ? About bar ? Restaurant ? Open or no ? Service ..... Suggestions please for my upcoming travel at August.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by gioannis13
Any new about this 5 star hotel ? About bar ? Restaurant ? Open or no ? Service ..... Suggestions please for my upcoming travel at August.
Many things can change for a travel in August. In April, Gaby restaurant was closed. Only breakfast in room service was available.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:13 am

Programs: FB Ultimate and PFL & ALL Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Slc2012
Many things can change for a travel in August. In April, Gaby restaurant was closed. Only breakfast in room service was available.
Lets see… we will stay there end of July for 8 nights…. Used my suite upgrades.
Hopefully they are back in the normal game… Covid is not an excuse anymore…
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Those of you who stayed recently at Sofitel New York: did you have to pay for the urban fee (or what ever name they use for the scam fee)?
any news on this?
Would be a bummer… $29 2 persons 8 nights… is this even legit?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by PascalGie
Hopefully they are back in the normal game… Covid is not an excuse anymore
It is still in several countries, especially US/CAN where most hotels still try you to believe in the "no housekeeping rule" for your safety
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:17 am

FYI got a welcome mail for my stay starting Friday: In room dining is available for breakfast and diner now…

Thx 4 hint: I requested a Nespresso machine and enough water every day… Assume they will acknowledge.
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: Le Club Accor
Next Saturday 6th of August i have check in for 8 nights !
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by gioannis13
Next Saturday 6th of August i have check in for 8 nights !
Cool… we are leaving that day….
If you wouldn’t mind; can you share some tips & tricks via a DM on what to do for 8 days in NY…..?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:36 am

Review after 3 out of 8 nights:

Hotel location is prime.
We really like Bryant park. Just 5 mins walk. Reading a bit, looking at people, play organized games and even free concerts and movies at night.

Lobby etc looks nice and luxurious.
Staff friendly but not very efficient (had to remind 2 x for nespresso machine that was confirmed via mail before).
Rooms are relative old but our suite (60m2) is comfortable.
After request on 2nd day they rebooked us to same type of room but higher floor (29th iso 14th) which has nicer view.

Breakfast is ala carte in room and we took it only during weekend (diamond free of charge), Normal prices are out of line; 1 x $130, 1 x $180 per breakfast for 2….. Nice breakfast, but nothing special.
Coffee sucks in hotel… Nespresso gives some relieve….

Last but not least; Gym is in basement. Old but functional as well.

Overall the lack of a hotel bar and breakfast / dining room is a real miss… takes away much of the vibe.
gioannis13 likes this.

Last edited by PascalGie; Aug 1, 2022 at 7:43 am
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Breakfast is ala carte in room and we took it only during weekend (diamond free of charge), Normal prices are out of line; 1 x $130, 1 x $180 per breakfast for 2….. Nice breakfast, but nothing special.
Bolding is mine. Seriously ? 130$ for breakfast ?
starflyergold likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Bolding is mine. Seriously ? 130$ for breakfast ?
NYC is of course expensive… but this tops it.

Bowl of oatmeal $30
Smoothie $18
Coffee $9
Toast with avocado and salmon $28

So easy spend when you are two…
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
NYC is of course expensive… but this tops it.

Bowl of oatmeal $30
Smoothie $18
Coffee $9
Toast with avocado and salmon $28

So easy spend when you are two…
If you're up to, you can grab some very good bagels in Milk N Honey on 46th street
PascalGie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.