Sofitel New York

Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:33 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
As long as the US refuses to allow European travellers in, I think this hotel will be starved of potential customers. US travellers (of which there are fewer anyway) are probably more likely to stay in US chains. Even some Hiltons remain shuttered in NYC. Despite what some analysts say business travel is not back, nor is it coming back any time soon.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:47 am
Formally known as andy_dangg

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by starflyergold
As long as the US refuses to allow European travellers in, I think this hotel will be starved of potential customers. US travellers (of which there are fewer anyway) are probably more likely to stay in US chains. Even some Hiltons remain shuttered in NYC. Despite what some analysts say business travel is not back, nor is it coming back any time soon.
Ive been thinking the same thing. Starting to look at other places to stayplaces that are already reopened. Went on a trip to SF in June and the big Hilton downtown had just reopened a few weeks prior. Im growing a little more doubtful that a smaller, non-US chain hotel will reopen anytime soon.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by andy_dangg
Ive been thinking the same thing. Starting to look at other places to stayplaces that are already reopened. Went on a trip to SF in June and the big Hilton downtown had just reopened a few weeks prior. Im growing a little more doubtful that a smaller, non-US chain hotel will reopen anytime soon.
If you're looking for a nice NYC hotel that's part of Accor and currently open, why not try The Plaza? We had a great stay there shortly before the world blew up, and it was a great spot. Love the location on 5th Ave at Central Park South. I would definitely stay there on future trips to NYC, once I actually start travelling internationally again.

FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Plaza, A Fairmont Managed Hotel
WasKnown likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 3:13 pm
Formally known as andy_dangg

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
I sent a quick DM on IG to the hotel two days ago regarding the gift card deal and reopening and and got a response today:

Hello Mr ****. We fully expect to be open very soon. We do not have a final date but expect to be open very soon and absolutely before the holiday period. It's a great deal! We look forward to seeing you in style this December!

Has me more optimistic for the reopening, but not enough for that gift card deal, lol. Wanted to add that I emailed the hotel directly a few weeks ago and havent gotten a response, but they were decently quick on their DMs.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:08 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
If you're looking for a nice NYC hotel that's part of Accor and currently open, why not try The Plaza? We had a great stay there shortly before the world blew up, and it was a great spot. Love the location on 5th Ave at Central Park South. I would definitely stay there on future trips to NYC, once I actually start travelling internationally again.

FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Plaza, A Fairmont Managed Hotel
Great review. Thanks for sharing. Personally, I would take the Plaza over the Sofitel NY regardless of opening status. Also, it looks like the suite you were upgraded to was the Rose Suite? For me, the most stunning aspect of those rooms are the grand ceiling heights.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:32 pm
In memoriam

Fun? anecdote: Holding five nights (9/22 to 9/27) at the Sofitel NY since June. Used Platinum upgrades, one-bedroom suite, high floor, good price. Payment was taken up front, although, frankly, I didn't realize that would happen when I booked. Still not sure about my September travel because of health issues, so I kept reading my reservation info to see how much time I had to cancel. I thought there was something like a seven-day advance notice, but I wasn't sure, and I couldn't find any cancellation policy in my record. Also, I wasn't positive whether I would get a runaround regarding a full refund.

Tried to book a dummy reservation to see how a new reservation would compare with what I was holding, and the website said that no reservations were available for my dates. Called the NY number, and the recording said the hotel was closed. So I called the 800 number and spoke with an agent. She confirmed that the reservation cancel period was seven days, and that the money would be fully refundable if I canceled.

I told her that I had tried to call the hotel directly and the recording said the hotel was closed, so I was wondering if they were going to honor my reservation. She said she would check on it and put me on hold. A few minutes later she came back and said that the hotel was now anticipating an October 1 opening! Needless to say, I wasn't quite believing what I was hearing. She then thought a bit and then said: "I think you should cancel this reservation and you will get your refund credited to your credit card."

A little bit surreal, don't you think?

Last edited by normcpa; Aug 26, 2021 at 10:38 pm Reason: removed duplicate "was sure"; added "thought"
Old Sep 14, 2021, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by normcpa
A few minutes later she came back and said that the hotel was now anticipating an October 1 opening! Needless to say, I wasn't quite believing what I was hearing. She then thought a bit and then said: "I think you should cancel this reservation and you will get your refund credited to your credit card."

A little bit surreal, don't you think?
I understand that these are tough times, but this is really no way to run a service-oriented business. I looked last night at a five-day suite booking in early October; my dates were fully bookable on the website. Today, when I went to book, I could no longer complete the booking as they had pushed back their opening date to around Oct. 16.

Last edited by sonetsst; Sep 14, 2021 at 10:12 am Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Sep 21, 2021, 12:40 pm

Today, I received a message from the Executive Assistant to the General Manager which confirmed, they dont have an expected reopenning date yet. But now, looking up and what is happening, they are targeting for possible a date of 1st November.
He confirmed they still need talks between the owner of the building and ACCOR.
I asked if they have done some renovations during the closing, but I didnt receive any answer.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: A3 *G, QR Plat, Accor ALL Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Looks like they finally have a definitive reopening date, next Sunday, November 7th.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bellerophontes
Looks like they finally have a definitive reopening date, next Sunday, November 7th.
the day before US borders reopening !!
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:25 am

Reopening confirmed

I had a communication with the hotel, and it confirmed that the Sofitel is now open since Sunday 7th November 2021. We are waiting for the future reviews.

Last edited by Slc2012; Nov 9, 2021 at 11:41 am
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
The post seems to have been removed and it does not display availability for December dates. Even though they claim to be open?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:29 pm

Sofitel NYC ghosting us? or mothballed?

I booked 10 nights in May, it was fully refundable but you had to pay in advance. Not an issue - paid that, around 3,000. Now I had to cancel - not an issue, I could do so as it was fully refundable without penalty before 2 May 2022. I did that. But the refund, which other hotels process in 1-3 days, is nowhere to be seen. Emails are not responded to and you can't call them - their hotel number doesn't pick up and gives an 888 number to call for "existing reservations" which doesn't connect.

Is the next step a recharge from AMEX? Cancelled the booking around 3 weeks ago. Wild times, but I'd like my money back please. I assume the hotel has shut down?

Last edited by delfindo; Jan 7, 2022 at 4:34 pm
Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:13 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / A3 Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold / TP Silver
have you opened a ticket to ALL accor customer support already ???
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Have you reached out on Facebook which is active?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.