AccorHotels buys Movenpick

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:40 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
AccorHotels buys Movenpick

PARIS, April 25 (Reuters) - French hotel group AccorHotels is in talks to buy hotel chain Movenpick Hotels & Resorts, Le Figaro newspaper reported in its Thursday edition.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/moven...-idUKL8N1S28HO
Brendan, IMH and Goldorak like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:31 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Interesting. Not sure they'd hold on to the Nile cruise 'ships', but much of the rest could be a good fit.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Thanks for posting.

Accor seems to be doing a lot of M&A, joint ventures, etc. I realize a lot of transactions are kind of small potatoes, not near the scale of the FRHI purchase. Still, I'd be really curious what people think,not being particularly clued-up on M&A, strategic management and stuff.

I'm having a bit of a hard time keeping track of all of Accor's activities... 25hours, Rixos, Onefinestay, FRHI, Banyan Tree, Mantra, Belmond (Orient Express), now Movenpick... Can they really integrate them all?
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:53 pm
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by 1flyer
Thanks for posting.

Accor seems to be doing a lot of M&A, joint ventures, etc. I realize a lot of transactions are kind of small potatoes, not near the scale of the FRHI purchase. Still, I'd be really curious what people think,not being particularly clued-up on M&A, strategic management and stuff.

I'm having a bit of a hard time keeping track of all of Accor's activities... 25hours, Rixos, Onefinestay, FRHI, Banyan Tree, Mantra, Belmond (Orient Express), now Movenpick... Can they really integrate them all?
They did not buy Belmond, Belmond lost the license to the name Orient Express which is now licensed to Accor.
Can they integrate them all? Eventually yes I think but with Accor everything takes longer...
Brendan and clubeurope like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:54 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IMH
Interesting. Not sure they'd hold on to the Nile cruise 'ships', but much of the rest could be a good fit.
They used to have the Sofitel Nile cruise boats before the arab spring... With the Movenpick boas still operating (and possibly making a profit), they may keep them running.. Who knows.
Brendan and starflyergold like this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:00 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
They used to have the Sofitel Nile cruise boats [...]
Something else I never knew (and was probably not alone in not knowing) about Accor. Thank you!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:23 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IMH
Something else I never knew (and was probably not alone in not knowing) about Accor. Thank you!
I also only recently found out when I was at the Sofitel Cairo... Heard it from a manager there. So my source is just that one guy... Haven't found ANY info on them though...
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I also only recently found out when I was at the Sofitel Cairo... Heard it from a manager there. So my source is just that one guy... Haven't found ANY info on them though...
never heard about it too.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by 1flyer
Thanks for posting.

I guess thats the easiest way to improve your footprint geographicly and also add more brand (luxury or not) to their portfolio

Raffles and Fairmonts really improve Accors offering in Luxury segment
(I wont classify Sofitels up there to compete with St Regis, Ritz Carlton, and The Luxury Collections from Marwood)

And then Banyan tree and Angsana ... that could go into separate unique category as well ....

More brands to play with ... without having to start a new brand and try establish the market for the brand
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:53 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Wonderful, there will be absolutely no overlap between those premium hotels named after vaguely premium ice-cream and Accor's other premium brands, plus this will add much needed coverage in the markets Accor lacks it in like... ummm... Karachi?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak

never heard about it too.
I know I'm going off topic.. But I found a reference..

Last paragraph in the first section. Here
Goldorak likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:44 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
AccorHotels has agreed to buy rival Movenpick Hotels & Resorts for $567 million.

It'll be interesting to see how it mergers into Accor.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mo...-idUSKBN1I10B5
happygolucky_nomad and 1flyer like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:11 am

They didn't have much of a loyalty programme. So at least we won't have too many whining members running around the forums...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:57 am

Have been looking around the Mövenpick website. I do actually like their footprint. Sure in the Middle East they will swamp already saturated AccorHotels markets like Dubai, but with new hotels in the pipeline like 2 in Oman for example, it will be a great addition.

Further, many of their non European properties feature lounges.

In the pipeline are two interesting properties on the east coast of Malaysia.

More can be read up HERE on what is planned in he next 3 years.
IMH and vidrineb like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:13 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Have been looking around the Mövenpick website. I do actually like their footprint. Sure in the Middle East they will swamp already saturated AccorHotels markets like Dubai, but with new hotels in the pipeline like 2 in Oman for example, it will be a great addition.

Further, many of their non European properties feature lounges.

In the pipeline are two interesting properties on the east coast of Malaysia.

More can be read up HERE on what is planned in he next 3 years.
Thanks for the link, indeed an interesting pipeline.
gilbertaue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.