Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Novotel will in future refuse to print the bill upon check-out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novotel will in future refuse to print the bill upon check-out

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:31 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
You are not dealing a lot with German accountant then. If it is not on paper it does not exist for them.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:35 pm

Madness.

Hilton have the right idea - choice of printed or email bill on departure.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by cwl
Personally I always loose paper invoices so habitually ask hotels to send my check out invoices by email. .
Well if you don't loosen the paper invoices in the first place you'll have less chance of losing them
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:48 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Hotels should cater to both printed and email copy. My company uses a paperless system too - so even for taxi receipts must be submitted in soft copy. However, companies doing paper trails are stil commonplace.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:03 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cowism
Hotels should cater to both printed and email copy. My company uses a paperless system too - so even for taxi receipts must be submitted in soft copy. However, companies doing paper trails are stil commonplace.
It's often more than just what the accounts wants (though I mostly see dinosaurs in the accounts department ). In many countries its the auditor or the tax department who insist on paper trials.

I know of one company which has gone paperless, though their auditor still demands it. What they do is they have a large bin at the accounts department and they ask their staff to throw all paper receipts and invoices in there. When the auditor shows up and asks for the original receipts, the Accounts Head points to the bin and tells them to look for it themselves

But I agree give guests the option of paper or soft copy. Don't impose one set rule.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:15 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
It's often more than just what the accounts wants (though I mostly see dinosaurs in the accounts department ). In many countries its the auditor or the tax department who insist on paper trials.

I know of one company which has gone paperless, though their auditor still demands it. What they do is they have a large bin at the accounts department and they ask their staff to throw all paper receipts and invoices in there. When the auditor shows up and asks for the original receipts, the Accounts Head points to the bin and tells them to look for it themselves
god bless the auditor 😂😂
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Dont worry we'll email you the bill, that ranks with "the cheque's in the mail" in the hierarchy of convenient lies
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:33 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by harryhv
Dont worry we'll email you the bill, that ranks with "the cheque's in the mail" in the hierarchy of convenient lies
...BUT it IS! The postman must have stolen it!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Often1
Where local law requires a printed receipt, clearly properties will need to comply with local laws. But, throughout the vast majority of the world this is not true and the requirement is being rapidly dropped as it is not necessary, wastes paper, and creates a data protection risk.

As more and more reimbursement systems simply attach a PDF (either manually or automated) and no printed copy is ever made anywhere, the need for a paper copy is dying off rapidly and the costs associated with having printers at front desks are eliminated at the same time.

The PDF can generally be revierd online on your own device and I have yet to find a property anywhere for any hotel or chain which does not simply make the screen available for review.

Adapting to 10-year old technology seems to be behind not ahead of the times.
Well said. I share this view. Maybe reception can have a tablet or screen easily viewable by guests for review of final bill.

Originally Posted by cwl
Novotel Heathrow has removed its reception desk/counter in its entirety. The former reception staff now simply carry small tablet devices with them if you need to query anything. Otherwise check in is ideally completed online with a wallet with everything you need prepared before arrival and checkout (assuming the provisional invoice as correct) is contactless. Makes check in and check out very fast.

Although I prefer this type of operation in a people focused industry I would have thought offering the choice of paper or non paper check out to the guest at checkout seems sensible
^
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
Originally Posted by Often1
The PDF can generally be revierd online on your own device and I have yet to find a property anywhere for any hotel or chain which does not simply make the screen available for review.
I stayed in an IBIS in Germany recently and had selected fast check out. I got an email with the bill attached for review early in the morning. I checked and all was fine so when leaving the hotel I just dropped my key card at the reception. About an hour later I received an email with the final bill. They had added two breakfasts to the bill, although I had booked for 1 person and had stayed alone and most importantly had not taken any breakfast. I had to call the hotel to get it rectified. They did, but it was annoying nevertheless.

My company has gone all digital for expense claims, so I do prefer digital receipts and bills so that I don't need to scan them. But this procedure at Accor is far from perfect and next time I will likely not select fast check out and request to get to see the bill in whatever form before paying.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by DuMaInSin
I stayed in an IBIS in Germany recently and had selected fast check out. I got an email with the bill attached for review early in the morning. I checked and all was fine so when leaving the hotel I just dropped my key card at the reception. About an hour later I received an email with the final bill. They had added two breakfasts to the bill, although I had booked for 1 person and had stayed alone and most importantly had not taken any breakfast. I had to call the hotel to get it rectified. They did, but it was annoying nevertheless.
Even if you don't select express check out, they will act as if you did.

This is at least what happened to me on last 2 occasions.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:48 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
This has happened to me too but if I request a paper print then they have never refused me so far.
I happen to use paperless invoice for:
- Private stays
- Without incidentals
Anything else I want a paper trail.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:16 am

While I think this where we are headed I'm pretty sure that it won't be implemented correctly. Until they can reliably send the emails and have a way of easily disputing your charges I don't think most are going to be happy with this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Do you mean that taxi drivers send you a pdf bill and restaurants as well? What about ferries or underground?
Not impossible. I have had a taxi in the USA email me the receipt.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Not impossible. I have had a taxi in the USA email me the receipt.
in several cities in the US, Taxis are e-mailing the receipts (St. Louis, MO for instance). And you don’t have to type it each time. If you always use the same credit card, you’re-mail address is “stored”.
But you still have the option to have it printed by the driver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.