Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Pullman Riga Old Town: Excellent hotel

Pullman Riga Old Town

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Pullman Riga Old Town

J?kaba iela 24, Centra rajons, R?ga, LV-1050, Latvia ,

Excellent stay at Pullman Riga Old Town (19 Photos)

Pullman Riga Old Town

Finally I was able to try this rather new Pullman that opened in Riga year and a half ago. I stayed there for three nights after the new year. This wasn’t only my first stay at this hotel but in a Pullman hotel in general and to be honest I didn’t know what to expect. But I was very satisfied with the stay. I wonder if other Pullman hotels are as good.

hotel1.jpg

Check In

Prior to arrival, I received an odd email offering room upgrade (now 85 euros, normally 100 euros), welcome drink (3 euros) and access to spa (0 euros) among other things.

I opted for airport transportation (now 49 euros, normally 56 euros). At the airport, driver was waiting for us with a sign, shook hands and welcomed to Latvia. Despite the fact that I had booked just an ordinary car, the ride was upgraded and it was done in a shiny Mercedes-Benz E class.

Upon check-in we were warmly welcomed, thanked for the loyalty and proactively given all the necessary benefits. For once Accor’s slogan, Feel welcome, meant something.

Early check-in around 11am wasn’t problem and the superior room I had booked was upgraded to a premium deluxe. That was a three level upgrade. The next category would had been a presidential suite which was booked so it seemed that they gave us the best room that was available.

Breakfast times, spa details and facilities were explained. All this was highly appreciated.

lobby1.jpg

2_lobby2.jpg

Room

Our premium deluxe room on the second floor felt spacious albeit it only had 31 square meters. Perhaps it was the high ceiling and the three large windows facing Jekaba Park that made the room feel bigger than it actually was.

A wooden floor kept nice creaking sound. (It’s an old refurbished building.)

In addition to a comfortable king size bed, the room had a lounging area with armchair and couch. Amenities included for example capsule coffee machine, kettle, and safe. Minibar was stocked with premium brands such as big bottles of Hennessy cognac and Belvedere vodka with not too expensive prices.

The bathroom had only one switch for all lights so it was either very dark or super bright. Toilet seat was placed oddly in a separate space without sink and one needed to walk through the room to get to the bathroom to wash hands.

Shower was flooding both in the room and the spa so the property seemed having some issues with the sewer. There was only two hooks where one could hang all towels and bathrobes. Bath amenities were C. O. Bigelow.

No turndown service.

3_room1.jpg

2_room2.jpg

2_room3.jpg

1_room4.jpg

1_room5.jpg

1_room6.jpg

room8.jpg

Service

The staff was service minded, friendly, helpful and clearly eager to please. Always when we approached or passed the front desk, employees were smiling and greeting us.

A handwritten welcome card from general manager, three handmade chocolates and four bottles of water (two Badoit and two Evian) were waiting for us in the room when we returned to hotel in the afternoon.

There was also a bottle of local mineral water placed on both bedside tables and they were restocked daily and so was the bath amenities even though we hadn’t finished the previous ones.

A front desk supervisor started to investigate troubles I had with the Places application after Accor customer care, Le Club team on Facebook and Accor concierge here on FlyerTalk weren’t able to help me.

When I requested chamomile tea in one evening, it was brought with cookies and a handwritten card. When we were leaving, many rushed to help us and asked if we needed taxi or help with the luggage.

service1.jpg

service2.jpg

Dining

We only ate breakfast at the hotel. It was good: savory, nutritious, and extensive enough. If I missed something, more fruits perhaps. Nothing was really wrong but it wasn't amazing either. Rather typical European hotel breakfast with made to order eggs, including Eggs Benedict and its variations. However, coffee was bland liquid from a self-service machine.

Before going out for dinner we used the two drink vouchers that were handed at check-in. I used it for a gin and tonic, my partner chose a very tasty berry flavored mocktail.

The hotel had a cozy tapaseria.

restaurant.jpg

1_service3.jpg

3_breakfast1.jpg

Spa

The spa on the 7th floor was empty most of the time which was relaxing. Facilities included dry sauna, swimming pool and resting area with views to old town over roof tops.

The pool was long but shallow and narrow. It was surrounded by birch trees and smelled dirty. Maybe the idea was to create a feeling that one is swimming in the river Daugava.

The shower room only had body cleansing gel so if one wanted to clean properly it was necessary to bring own shampoo and conditioner.

One day, the spa was closed for maintenance and this was communicated only last minutes. Then another day the sauna was closed again, now due to cleaning later that day. We were sitting in a cold sauna. No information was given, not even when entering in the spa, before we asked about it.

Massage was reasonable priced for a hotel (90 euros for full body scrap and back massage, 35 euros for foot massage). And while in Sofitel Munich it was strictly prohibited to use swimwear in sauna, here it was vice versa (thank god).

1_spa1.jpg

1_spa2.jpg

1_spa3.jpg

Couldn’t have been better. Located in the old town, the hotel was in a walking distance to everywhere in center. Being a compact city, restaurants, shops and sights were 5–15 minutes walk away.

Overall

Excellent stay and excellent hotel for which I would give four stars. I see a clear gap between Pullman and Sofitel. But I will certainly return next time my travels brings me back to Riga and I’m happy to try also other Pullman hotels.

1_hotel2.jpg

Excellent stay at Pullman Riga Old Town

Would you like to write a review on the Pullman Riga Old Town?

No, thank you.
Yes
EcotoneHR likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:03 pm
R2

wkndtraveler - thanks for the comprehensive review. I stayed in the same hotel in October and my experience echoes yours. A couple of comments: I found the service at breakfast pretty poor...the staff kept standing around leaving dirty plates on the tables while it was obvious it was time to clear them. The omelette cook didn't say a word nor indicate to me in any way my order was ready, she just left it there on the table.

I think you overpaid for the car. Regular taxis are clean and relatively reliable in Riga. For me the trip from the airport to hotel was less than €10. On the way back I asked the friendly hotel concierge to get me a taxi. He asked me if I was ok to take the hotel car. I asked him how much he said €15 and that's what I paid for the same Merc as you had.

Can you please put the hotel name in the thread title.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by R2
wkndtraveler - thanks for the comprehensive review. I stayed in the same hotel in October and my experience echoes yours. A couple of comments: I found the service at breakfast pretty poor...the staff kept standing around leaving dirty plates on the tables while it was obvious it was time to clear them. The omelette cook didn't say a word nor indicate to me in any way my order was ready, she just left it there on the table.

I think you overpaid for the car. Regular taxis are clean and relatively reliable in Riga. For me the trip from the airport to hotel was less than €10. On the way back I asked the friendly hotel concierge to get me a taxi. He asked me if I was ok to take the hotel car. I asked him how much he said €15 and that's what I paid for the same Merc as you had.

Can you please put the hotel name in the thread title.
Thank you for your feedback, R2. The service at breakfast seems improved. Now the staff was very quick, I would say too quick, to clean empty plates and cutlery. Every morning a couple of times I had to request new set of cutlery since they were taken from the table. Also, made to order dishes were now brought to tables, either by the cook or serving staff.

It's typical for hotels to overcharge for the transportation. I just wanted an easy way to get to hotel as soon as possible. The price I paid also included return journey.

How was your loyalty treatment?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:19 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Thanks for a good review.
I have found the Pullman brand to be a mixed bag. They are a bit like Mercure, seating between two chairs. Some are really 4 star and close to Sofitel, some are much poorer, some were good but are now dated.

wkndtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Nice hotel. I like the style. Thanks for the review wkndtraveler
wkndtraveler likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I just recently stayed at this hotel, got a room with two single beds, I used a bunch of my rewards points. As a platinum tier, I got a nice welcome amenity with a nice handwritten note, chocolates, nuts, and macaroons, along with a bottle of Latvian beer, in addition to my two drink certificates. Turndown service each night supplied extra chocolates or macaroons. Housekeeping provided two new bottles of water each day. I really like this hotel, a great modern vibe to it, and recently renovated (2016). Very comfortable and quiet. I wish I had a table in the room that I could work at, but not really a big deal. If I were to make a return visit to Riga, I would have no hesitation to stay at this hotel again. Great customer service at the bar, but did not eat at the restaurant, there are so many good food choices close by, I opted for more traditional Latvian food to bring back childhood memories.

The location of this hotel is ideal if you want to explore Old Riga, the furthest point is about a 15 minute walk away. It is located next to the Parliament buildings, so a very secure area. Actually a bit too secure, as taxis, and even my local host did not want to drive on the street in front of the hotel so that they don't get any unnecessary attention from the police that were on guard at the parliament building 1/2 block away. Go out to the main street if you wish to be picked up or dropped off.

It's only a 20 minute drive from the airport. About 30 minute taxi ride to the ethnographic outdoor museum or to the seashore at Jurmala.

For a local taxi service, I used an app called "Bolt-Taxify" which gave me great rates, and similar service to Uber.
EcotoneHR likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Thanks for this review Arthurrs, I have a booking at this hotel in June and it is probably the booking I am most looking forward to it my whole itinerary. This review fills me with confidence that it will be a good stay. Looking forward to experiencing a new city and a new hotel.

One question - it sounds like you got a Bolt car to Jurmala. Do you remember about how much it cost? I was thinking of taking the train for ~€2 but the convenience of a taxi for the 4 of us could be useful.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by andimilk
One question - it sounds like you got a Bolt car to Jurmala. Do you remember about how much it cost? I was thinking of taking the train for ~€2 but the convenience of a taxi for the 4 of us could be useful.
Actually I took Bolt to the Ethnographic Open-Air Museum, which was around 20 Euros round trip (24 km round trip), and also one way to the airport from the hotel for 7 Euros for 10 km. The airport is about halfway to Jurmala, so I would imagine it to be double the cost/distance. The service was quite efficient! Jurmala is going to be very busy in June, so be prepared!

If you're looking for traditional Latvian food in Old Riga, my local friend recommended Folkklubs Ala Pagrabs, and wow, it was absolutely amazing. It brought back wonderful memories of my late Latvian mother's cooking. It's in the basement of a building (very pub-like atmosphere, kinda like eating in cellars), and is very unassuming and very affordably priced. It's a hit with the locals, and unless you get there very early or managed to make advance reservations (highly recommended), you may be waiting at least an hour or two for a table! We walked in and managed to snag half of a large table with another couple, and this was a Saturday night at 5 pm!! Only a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Definitely on my list to visit again!!

Beautiful Sunset in Jurmala

Authentic Latvian Food here!!
andimilk likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:54 am

I am looking at this hotel for a stay this summer but it is seriously expensive. The Mercure is 33% cheaper, looks very new too. Anyone has experiences with both ?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by fransknorge
I am looking at this hotel for a stay this summer but it is seriously expensive. The Mercure is 33% cheaper, looks very new too. Anyone has experiences with both ?
Never stayed in Pullman. Almost always very expensive on the dates I go to Riga. Stayed in Mercure for 4 times. Don't like it. Even though they are very good with upgrades, housekeeping is appaling. Three times I complained to the manager because I sure the bedsheets were not changed after previous guest. He blamed the washing process by I cant believe even a very average washing cycle would leave 8 bodyhairs on bed, from the sheets to the pillowcases. Hair in the bathroom. Corners not hoovered. Breakfast average, run out of tea the last time I visited. will not go again. There was also a construction right next door to Mercurie two months ago. Doubt its finished by now.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:14 am

Thanks a lot, very glad I asked.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:48 am

I am currently in the hotel and here is my mini review:
- I have a superior room, very nice and comfortable with a lounging area. My room is located at the end of a corridor and I gain in space compare to other superior room. However I loose in light as there is only one oddly placed small window. The building is larger than the facade might let to believe but is irregularly shaped.
- No desk in the room, big negative for a Pullman which usually cater to business traveller
- Comfortable bed with a pillow menu, 5 pillows to choose from
- Shower pressure good but hard to get hot water this morning, no problem yesterday evening
- Turndown available on request, according to the hotel cirectory
- WiFi available via the TV, not explained to me at checkin or in the hotel directory. The Pullman network is to be used in the meeting room and lobby only. Once connected via the TV, great speed.
- Breakfast Ok, nothing to write home about honestly. Service very disorganised, the omelette chef is just messy with her delivery.
- I took the bus from the airport, but booked the hotel car for tomorrow morning and got quoted 20 euros. Seems they change the price all the time based on reviews above.
- Fruit platter as a Silver welcome gift (apples, grapes, pineapple, apricot).

Overall style really good and good room if here for leisure, food and service more so-so.
wkndtraveler likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
Pullman Riga Old Town

Pullman Riga Old Town

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Pullman Riga Old Town

J?kaba iela 24, Centra rajons, R?ga, LV-1050, Latvia ,

Pullman Riga Old Town (46 Photos)

Pullman Riga Old Town

Facade 1.jpegFacade 2.jpeg

The Pullman Riga is located in an old horse stable from the 18th century and although the facade might look small, the hotel features 155 rooms and 7 conference rooms. We chose the Pullman for our 3 night stay as it was the only high-end ALL property in Riga. 

The hotels location is excellent. It sits right in the heart of Old Town on Jekaba street 300m from Dome Square. 

Check In

We had booked a business transfer from the airport via the hotel for 28 euro, and we were greeted at arrivals by the driver and driven in a black E-class to the Hotel. Check-in was quick and efficient. The receptionist explained all the facilities and their opening hours. Drink vouchers were given, but no room upgrade as the hotel was completely full. I did check online beforehand and indeed not a single room available during our dates. 

Lobby 1.jpegLobby 2.jpegLobby 3.jpeg

Reception and lobby area. 

There is a clear horse theme throughout the hotel with horse sculptures, horse painting and different horse accessories as decoration. There are also some odd furnitures throughout which weren’t really our taste. 

Decor 1.jpegDecor 2.jpegDecor 3.jpeg

Room

We had booked a Premium Superior King Room. The room felt quite spacious and had great ceiling height. The room was located on the second floor with views out to the park in front of the hotel. The room was also very well isolated, it had double windows and we couldn’t hear any noise from the outside. Another positive was the AC, which worked very well and kept the room cool despite the outside temperature of 30+ celsius. Turndown service was provided every day and bathroom amenities and water bottles were restocked. 

Room 1.jpegRoom 2.jpegj

Work desk in the corner and a small sofa.

Room 3.jpegRoom 4.jpeg

Coffee.jpeg

Coffee machine and kettle.

Skap 1.jpegSkap 2.jpeg

Hairdryer.

Skap 3.jpegSkap 4.jpeg

Pillowmenu.jpeg

Pillow menu.

Room view.jpeg

Park view.

Bathroom

The negative of the room was the bathroom. It was oddly designed and had a strange glass door which could open in both directions and would never stay closed. The shower was huge but the water would find its way out of the shower on to the bathroom floor unless we placed a tower under the shower door. The toilet was located in a separate room to the right of the entrance. Bathroom 1.jpegBathroom 2.jpeg

C.O.Bigelow Hair shampoo, Hair balm, Body wash and Body lotion.

Bathroom amenities.jpeg

Bathroom 3.jpeg

Toilet to the right of the entrance. 

Bathroom 4.jpeg

Spa

The hotel features a spa on the 7th floor with a 19,5m heated swimming pool, loungers and a sauna. There is also a 24/7 gym. Various types of massages can also be booked. Spa 1.jpegSpa 2.jpeg

Pool.jpeg

Gym.jpeg

Locker 1.jpeg

Mens and womens changing rooms.

Locker 2.jpeg

Lockers with bathrobes and slippers.

Terrace

On the 6th floor there is a small terrace surrounded by beautiful old buildings. Terrace 1.jpegTerrace 2.jpegTerrace 3.jpeg

Dining

The hotel features the Equus restaurant on the first floor. We did have dinner there one night but unfortunately we weren’t impressed and our waitress clearly needed more training. The mains tasted quite good but the deserts were very dissapointing and our white wine was served borderline warm. 

Equus 1.jpegEquus 2.jpegEquus 3.jpegEquus 4.jpegEquus 5.jpeg

Maine 1.jpegMaine 2.jpegDesert 1.jpegDesert 2.jpeg

Breakfast 1.jpegBreakfast 2.jpeg

This is where breakfast is served. We did not try the hotel breakfast during our stay. 

Bar 1.jpegBar 2.jpeg

The bar. Located in the lobby area infront of Equus. 

Service

Service was a mixed bag, some staff were great and some were not. 

On our last night we wanted to use our drink vouchers for a cocktail before heading our for dinner in town. We went to the bar only to be told by the bartender in a semi rude way that the vouchers weren’t valid for cocktails. He then went on to read exactly what the vouchers mentioned. At checkin I had beed told we could use the vouchers for cocktails. Not in the mood for an argument we headed out for dinner. The next morning when checking out, I asked the receptionist to clarify the vouched situation. She told us that they could indeed be used for cocktails and apologised for the bartenders mistake. 

Overall

Although the hotel is clearly very business oriented and we were traveling for leisure, we enjoyed our stay at the Pullman. The rooms and the facilities were good. Service could have been better. The hotels location is excellent and a big reason to choose it. 

Pullman Riga Old Town

Would you like to write a review on the Pullman Riga Old Town?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Nice hotel. Thanks for the review
Arpoador likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Thanks! I have stayed here many times and no one ever made me aware of the rooftop terrace or the pool!
Arpoador likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.